Patch 4.02 — list of changes

+

Alicja.

CD PROJEKT RED

Patch 4.02 for The Witcher: Wild Hunt is being rolled out and will soon be available on PC, PlayStation and Xbox! Among various fixes, it also improves the overall stability and performance of the game.

Below you can find a list of the most notable changes to come in this update.

PC-SPECIFIC
  • Improved CPU core utilization in the DX 12 version.
  • Restored horizon-based ambient occlusion. Players who had previously turned Ambient Occlusion off will need to do so again. You can find it in Options → Video → Graphics.
  • Fixed an issue where the "My Rewards" section was not localized in REDlauncher.
  • Fixed an issue with a flickering landscape in Toussaint that occurred when NVIDIA HairWorks was disabled.
  • Fixed an issue related to particle optimization which could result in temporary stuttering.
CONSOLE-SPECIFIC
  • Improved Performance Mode on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where characters could become slightly blurry during dialogues and cutscenes on PlayStation 5.
  • Fixed an issue related to memory usage in Ray Tracing Mode which could result in crashes on Xbox Series X.
  • Whatsoever a Man Soweth... - The game will no longer crash if Geralt runs away from Shani after starting the conversation on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where quicksaves couldn't be loaded when using cross progression on Xbox One.
  • Added two missing "Top notch swords!" on previous-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue with overwriting manual saves where in some circumstances the oldest gamesave was deleted on PlayStation 5.
  • Addressed performance issues in Beauclair and Novigrad that occurred after loading a gamesave.
VISUAL - PC and Next-Gen Exclusive
  • Improved immersion of water appearance by adding refraction to SSR and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed a visual issue with brick textures where black artifacts covered stone arches.
  • Added a Motion Blur slider. It can be found in Options → Video → Graphics.
QUESTS & GAMEPLAY - Available on all platforms
  • Battle Preparations - Fixed the lack of a dialogue option that would progress the quest during the objective "Let Avallac'h know everything's ready."
  • Reason of State - Fixed an issue where the door to the warehouse could become permanently locked if the player knocked, entered and then immediately left the building.
  • Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear Upgrade Diagrams Part 1 - Fixed an issue where the quest could stay active even after the diagrams were looted.
  • Fixed an issue where trying to start a New Game+ on an incompatible save would block the player from starting the expansions in standalone mode until the game was restarted.
LOCALIZATION - Available on all platforms
  • Fixed an issue with the Korean localization of Ciri's and Geralt's Gwent card descriptions.
  • Fixed punctuation issues in Arabic localization.
  • Updated Traditional Chinese font.
Please note: these are only the most notable changes. The patch contains other minor fixes that didn't make it onto this list.

Steam is not even starting the download of the patch. I wonder how long it will take Steam to fix that problem since people in the comments reporting the exact same issue.
Post automatically merged:

Steam is not even starting the download of the patch. I wonder how long it will take Steam to fix that problem since people in the comments reporting the exact same issue.
Ok, after an hour of wait it started downloading. Enjoying the game a lot, glad it's back lol

Last edited:
Added a Motion Blur slider. It can be found in Options → Video → Graphics.

It's the first thing that a PC gamer disables

Restored horizon-based ambient occlusion. Players who had previously turned Ambient Occlusion off will need to do so again. You can find it in Options → Video → Graphics.

This doesn't make any logical sense

OMG, for 50 hours playing no freeze and crash, after installing Patch 4.02, two Freeze/Crash in 10 min.
On PC, try to verify the game files in case.
On console, clear the cache.

Interesting performance update. The performance for me is the same but my GPU utilization is about 20% lower. Maybe there's potential for a big performance boost update in the future?

On console
Since the patch, I can't consume any potions that are equipped and I can only use one sign. I have to equip the sign I want to use like a bomb. Anyone else having this issue?

Shadows are STILL bugged. Without raytracing a lot of shadows are missing or extremely bland. Keep in mind these were perfectly fine in the old version of witcher 3.
(i suppose they did this for no other reason than showcasing rtx "benefits" in a very misleading almost fraudulent way by removing shadows and enabling them with rtx despite having nothing to do with rtx. Thanks Nvidia)

I've played 4.01 DX 11 version almost all afternoon without any problems then decided to take a break. Saw the new update,installed it,and now I can't play in DX 11 at all. Every time I load a save at the end of loading screen the game crashes. Tried repairing/veryfiing,my drivers are fresh aswell. I tried it in DX 12 too, the game loads fine but I don't experience any performance improvements,same stutter,fps drops as before. it would be nice to not break anything while you try to fix other broken things... Now i have to wait for a solution/hotfix before i can continue my playtrough... Well played...

Edit:So something is apparently very broken because every time I run repair in GOG there's a 159mb download. Also tried deleting user settings,reinstalling the entire game, so the problem is 100% with the new files the update introduced. How the hell is it possible to download 159mb of files after a clean install? There must be some corrupted files that relate to the DX 11 version... HooFUCKInray....

Last edited:
I can't even play the PS5 version since the update--the game was working fine at 1AM in LA, try to play this morning around 8AM and the game won't load. I wasn't even able to delete the PS5 version to reinstall because the button was greyed out. Rebuilt my database for the hell of it--nothing. Just deleted the PS4 version and I'm reinstalling that, hoping that might do something. There's no way I'm buying the complete version even though it's on sale--you gave me a free upgrade to PS5, I expect that to work.

Added a Motion Blur slider. It can be found in Options → Video → Graphics.

Who asked for this?

Aside from that, performance in DX12 is not better than before, nothing close to how it was with the 4.00 version, and none of the multiple graphical bugs I've reported here as well as through the support form and which we've continued to talk about via email has been fixed.

It includes:
  • Dotted patterns of light on many ground textures when ray tracing is activated. It is now even more present in many places, like on the Hierarch Square in Novigrad under certain lighting conditions. Same on every platform. Details and screenshots...
  • The light from the torch (or lantern) leaves lingering trails that take a good fifteen seconds, if not more, to dissipate when moving. Same on every platform. Details and screenshots...
  • A missing patch / depression in the water on the beach, close to the bridge, in Oxenfurt. Obviously the same on every platform. You kindly requested my save for this one and thus I provided it to you, standing right in front of it and, still, nothing...
  • Low Sharpening and Off Sharpening settings are still inverted. Details and screenshots...
And there is more but I get tired to report things for no result.

Last edited:
Has it fixed the game crashing during the third and final part of the battle with Detlaff? Several people on Steam have reported it too. I have it from GOG. NOPE! Still crashes during final battle in Blood and Wine. What a disappointment to not be able to finish the game.

Last edited:
Unfortunately update 4.02 did not fix the memory leak issue. However, they improved the operation of the game itself and finally added HBAO+, the performance is now up to about 30% higher than it was in 4.01.

I have released my mod updates to version 1.2 to be compatible with patch 4.02. Still with the mod, performance is higher than 4.02, by about 20%. No need to use RTXGI Unclocker anymore, more details in mod description:

Top Bottom