Patch after hotfixes ?

+
hey Witcher Fam, so after the next gen update like most of you guys, my game hit the sh*tter too, but after the two recent hotfixes performance is significantly better not perfect though.

i am currently playing the game on Max settings at 4K with a 3090 i only get fps in between 28 and 35 . is there a future patch coming to make the game even more stable, as CDPR devs clearly mentioned in the hotfix notes that the version of the game will remain the same which means they were never patches in the first place.

The developers first need time to compile a collection of the most common bugs/errors.
I'm assuming that a patch will appear at the end of January. Maybe...

i hope this patch improves performance of the game and we get some more FPS and stability without compromising on quality

Its too soon for 4k gaming... Game is not optimized but I think ppl should stay at 1440p for a while without top end hardware.

since hotfix 2 , getting now heavy drop fps ..
play at ultra- setting , open area above 70 fps but drop at random time after few minutes to 20 fps xD
hairworks , get broken now on photo mode , other issues with lod on photo mode
i thing we're done for a round of hotfix , each one fix issues but add an other one .
just wait like as old days , some weeks to get a stable version of this next gen update

The biggest performance issue seems to be with the Red Engine itself not handling multithreading correctly in DX12 and that's going to take a major rewrite of the game engine itself. Like I said months ago when CDPR announced the next Witcher game was going to be made on Unreal Engine 5 is the reason for that is the Red Engine just doesn't work with DX12 because it was written for DX11. There is a huge difference between the way DX11 and DX12 handle things like multithreading, shader pipelines and memory with DX12 being more Hands On for the game engine developers

Its too soon for 4k gaming... Game is not optimized but I think ppl should stay at 1440p for a while without top end hardware.

i have an i9 - 9900k with 32GB ram and a RTX 3090 24GB gpu , i am quite sure my hardware can handle 4k gaming and has been handling it quite well in newer titles
Post automatically merged:

The biggest performance issue seems to be with the Red Engine itself not handling multithreading correctly in DX12 and that's going to take a major rewrite of the game engine itself. Like I said months ago when CDPR announced the next Witcher game was going to be made on Unreal Engine 5 is the reason for that is the Red Engine just doesn't work with DX12 because it was written for DX11. There is a huge difference between the way DX11 and DX12 handle things like multithreading, shader pipelines and memory with DX12 being more Hands On for the game engine developers

thanks for the detailed indepth info

It's a common problem, for instance RDR2 had problems with DX12 for a couple of months after release and so did Horizon Zero Dawn PC although Sony seems to have worked it out pretty good as Marvel's Spider-Man worked really well for me right "out of the box". Ubisoft also had problems converting over the Assassin's Creed and Watchdog game engines over to DX12 which ran game engines made for DX11 and converted over to DX12. If done properly DX12 should be able to outperform DX11 because of better multithreading and out of order parallel shader pipelines. I also suspect that the changes in the shader pipeline was the reason CDPR dropped HBAO+ because trying to make it work and at the same time support all the new Ray Tracing extensions was just to complex and unwieldly without a major game engine overhaul. I don't care if it is hardware design or software design it's all about making compromises to make everything fit into a specific time and/or monetary budget.

No it does not ..... The patch is around 2 GB, the total size of the files being patched is the number you are misreading NOT the actual download size ...... I've already explained twice how it works

It creates a temp directory in the Witcher 3 folder, it downloads the (2 GB) patch to it and unzips it, then it transfers all the files it needs to patch from the main directories into the temp folder, then it applies the patches to the files (the number you are seeing) and when it's done it transfers those files back into the main directory and deletes the temp folder. I know this because I actually watched it work in File Explorer while it was downloading and applying the patches. If you want to see which files it applied the patches to all you have to do is look at the timestamps.

Last edited:
I just reverted back to 1.32. Everthing on Ultra except shadows on high and foliage visibility on high, hw off. HBAO+ on, AA on 80fps. Was around 60 and below on 4.0 version dx11...
After I installed 13 mods where are HD texture pack and everything in the next gen included I lost around 1-2fps! Because I have enough VRAM and that is expected. So its problem on their end.
Old version with HBAO+ looking better then DX11 next gen with washed looking SSAO so its a no brainer for me.

Top Bottom