Patch Notes 10.7

+
The worst part is they refuse to hotfix the busted cards until the month is over, lol. So players either are forced to get the OP card or just stop playing. How could anyone think that's a good sales strategy?

My thoughts on the current patch:

I'll start with the obvious negative: Renfri. This card has singlehandedly made me want to quit gwent until its chnaged. The card is too overpowered for its provision cost and a lot of other people have said the same thing. To put it simply, this card is simply a play to win card. Leader abilities by themselves are pretty game changing, and Renfri offers basically two extra leader abilities that are better than the best normal abilities from the regular factions. That combined with the replayability breaks it even further. Another negative point is that creative deck building is basically nonexistent due to Renfri. Why build new decks, buy premium passes or kegs, or anything from Gwent when Renfri will just win in the end?
This cards needs a serious nerf, such as:
- making the curse negatively affect the player or reward the opponent
- nerf the actual blessing and curse to match the provision cost
- change her leader abilities into nerfed deploy effects
- make her more like shupe where it's risky to play
- take away the replayability, make it a doomed special card or something

Now to the pros of the patch:
I loved the new scenarios and infused statuses. I think these scenarios brought back creative deck building and went back to the "rock, paper, scissors" aspect of card games. Some decks simply perform better against others, it's part of the game and these new scenarios highlighted that aspect. These changes to the patch rewarded deck building and revitalized the game in a positive way, allowing for people to try different decks and really push the limits of the game. Renfri unfortunately cut this short so once the initial hype of new scenarios wore off, we're stuck with Renfri spam decks that are not fun to play against. I just forfeit most games I play against them anyway so I don't know why I keep playing.

In summary: Renfri is OP while the rest of the patch could have really made the game something amazing. If Renfri isn't seriously nerfed or changed to be better balanced in this upcoming patch, I'm taking a temporary hiatus from the game.

Another thing.

SK onslaught.

Really, are we not tired with this control meta?

Control should never put more points than engine.

While engines are low tempo and get vale over the rounds and you usually need to combine cards, control its Just spam The cards and that it.

Put The problem is when control have more points than engine, and sk has so many pointslam in bronze cards that isnt fair with other factions.

I love sk, but its time to the nerf Hammer start to work Here and nerf everything in sk, special those cards use in onslaught

I'll have to add something else here: since this patch I almost completely stopped watching Gwent streams. It took couple of days to become extremely annoying watching the same cards on the board over and over and over and over again. And not only that - sometimes it's even hard to find an English speaking streamer to watch or there's just one streaming. I've never seen the interest towards the game being so low. The closest one that comes to mind is Homecoming, but this is way, way worse.

I have a sugestion for Renfri: her ability should exclude the possibility to use your leader's.
Renfri: If you dind't use you leader ability ir a charge you may use Renfri's curses and blessing.
It would be more balanced If It was a choice, becoming a card that gives you the versatility to use the best option depending on how the match is going. For example, maybe you don't need you three leader's movement because you need to destroy some enemy card. So instead of using it, you cancel your ability and you choose Renfri's. That wouldn't be possible if you already use one charge.
With this chance de will be far more strategic and not overpowered. Obviously, a cost reduction or increasing the body points might be necessary .

Last edited:
I have a sugestion for Renfri: her ability should exclude the possibility to use your leader's. It would be more balanced If It was a choice, becoming a card that gives you the versatility to use the best option depending on how the match is going. For example, maybe you don't need you three leader's movement because you need to destroy some enemy card. So instead of using it, you cancel your ability and you choose Renfri's. That wouldn't be possible if you already use one charge.
With this chance de will be far more strategic and not overpowered. Obviously, a cost reduction or increasing the body points might be necessary .
"If you don't use you leader ability or a charge" it would be a start.

I have a sugestion for Renfri: her ability should exclude the possibility to use your leader's.
Renfri: If you dind't use you leader ability ir a charge you may use Renfri's curses and blessing.
It would be more balanced If It was a choice, becoming a card that gives you the versatility to use the best option depending on how the match is going. For example, maybe you don't need you three leader's movement because you need to destroy some enemy card. So instead of using it, you cancel your ability and you choose Renfri's. That wouldn't be possible if you already use one charge.

Even simpler, tie Renfri to her theme, the number of cursed cards on the deck!
Maybe in two ways, to boost his deploy ability or as a restriction in order to play his ability (Have 8 cursed cards on the deck, or have 4 cursed cards on the board). 25 units on the deck is totally railroaded!

A game is in the wrong way when people start to question who is in charge of the design or if there is a playtest team... :facepalm:

No Cursed synergies this patch feels like a missed opportunity for me.
The game has this tag since Homecoming (if I’m not mistaken), but it has no use at all

I hope they nerf it into the ground. I'm sick of seeing this turd called Renfri.
I did three games in a row at approximately 2500 mmr, my opponents played well and EVERY SINGLE MATCH was literally decided by Renfri's rng rolls.
This is just pathetic, are we on Hearthstone or what? You come to round 3, both no mistakes and fine resource management and..what happens? One must "steal" the win due to pure luck. All the enjoyment gone.
I hate this card, awful design.

The game has this tag since Homecoming (if I’m not mistaken), but it has no use at all
Well, they did add Eltibald, which, of course, only works with the toxic cat cheese. I guess that was the idea behind his design all along...

I hope they nerf it into the ground. I'm sick of seeing this turd called Renfri.
I dont think that will happen. Yes, they will nerf it, as its already been confirmed, although how we dont know yet and that is what's more important - a small nerf can be meaningless and change nothing, a huge nerf can completely remove a card from meta.

I dont think the latter is what will happen to Renfri, at least not in the next patch. If we look at the history of expansion releases with OP cards and their consequent nerfs, the only case i can think off where a card was nerfed to the ground immediately after was Ethereal and its use with MO Fruits of Ysgith. In other cases, those dominant cards are nerfed slowly and little by little, and they only go out of meta, not when they hit the right spot, but when new cards are added that are even stronger.

I've seen plenty of great suggestions on how to nerf Renfri, the problem is none are a obvious choice, like it was on Aerondight case (nerf from 9 to 10 and remove it from GN decks), so i think the dev team will be confused on how to best nerf Renfri.

Like @Barracuda88 said, there is synergies with cursed - Eltibald.
The problem is he synergizes so well its sir scratch a lot, which is already a really strong card alone, and even better with many of those kitties, that is very demotivating to use him with anything else. Why even bother to make a different cursed deck around Eltibald, when it wont do a third of the value he gets on a kitty spam deck? :giveup:

If we look at the history of expansion releases with OP cards and their consequent nerfs, the only case i can think off where a card was nerfed to the ground immediately after was Ethereal and its use with MO Fruits of Ysgith. In other cases, those dominant cards are nerfed slowly and little by little, and they only go out of meta, not when they hit the right spot, but when new cards are added that are even stronger.
Milva was immediately nerfed into the ground the month after her release to the point people actually cut her from guerilla tactic decks for while. It was only some time after she got buffed and we see her in some decks again, and personally I don't like playing her that much now because of how awkward she is to return to the deck at times.

To me the nerf to Renfri is extremely simple, just make the player choose whether they want to create a blessing or a curse, similar to how Shupe works, right now she works as if Shupe got to pick two options, which is just beyond ridiculous. And if it turns out this would be overkill she can have some slight buffs some time after just like Milva did.

Right now the top priority should be stopping this menace, not worrying if she is going to get bruised in the process.

I dont think that will happen. Yes, they will nerf it, as its already been confirmed, although how we dont know yet and that is what's more important - a small nerf can be meaningless and change nothing, a huge nerf can completely remove a card from meta.

I dont think the latter is what will happen to Renfri, at least not in the next patch. If we look at the history of expansion releases with OP cards and their consequent nerfs, the only case i can think off where a card was nerfed to the ground immediately after was Ethereal and its use with MO Fruits of Ysgith. In other cases, those dominant cards are nerfed slowly and little by little, and they only go out of meta, not when they hit the right spot, but when new cards are added that are even stronger.

I've seen plenty of great suggestions on how to nerf Renfri, the problem is none are a obvious choice, like it was on Aerondight case (nerf from 9 to 10 and remove it from GN decks), so i think the dev team will be confused on how to best nerf Renfri.

Like @Barracuda88 said, there is synergies with cursed - Eltibald.
The problem is he synergizes so well its sir scratch a lot, which is already a really strong card alone, and even better with many of those kitties, that is very demotivating to use him with anything else. Why even bother to make a different cursed deck around Eltibald, when it wont do a third of the value he gets on a kitty spam deck? :giveup:
As far a i can remember ethereal didnt get nerfed in one patch.

First they "nerfed him" making caranthir only copies mo cards.

Before they changed it to what He is now

Edit: ok ok if you are going tô say they change him in only one patch i Will agree. But it tooks At least 2 patches to him get nerfed

I would like to talk a bit about potential nerfs to Renfri. I will try to be general as CDPR tends to disregard very specific suggestions anyway.

Clearly, there are good and bad ways to nerf the cards (and some that are in between — depending upon implementation).

Let me start with the BAD nerfs — and why I think they would be bad.
  • Making Renfri’s ability on order rather than on deploy. Yes, this makes Renfri more interactive. It also makes the game much more binary as it introduces still another “answer or lose” card. Moreover, it gives value to summoned copies of Renfri.
  • Increasing Renfri’s provision cost. There is not much space to increase provisions. I believe that even at 15 provisions, Renfri will dominate the meta. And very high provision cards also make the game more luck dependent — 15 provisions is a lot to lose just because you fail to draw it.
  • Tightening Renfri’s deck building restrictions (such as adding a neutral or a bandit card restriction). The real problem is that Renfri is simply worth too many points for a single play — and failing to address this issue will either leave an op, dominating card, kill the card’s usability, or increase the card’s RNG in negative ways. Making Renfri relevant in fewer decks does not change her game-dominating power, it simply reduces the variety of decks in which she can be used, and the amount of creativity in her use.
IN BETWEEN nerfs
  • Completely changing Renfri’s ability. The desirability of this approach would totally depend upon the new ability. But there is nothing wrong with the idea of a “create it your self leader”. And I think players would miss the core ideas in the card.
  • Nerfing each of the curses and/or blessings in the card. This would probably be functional, but would require a lot of reworked programming and re-balancing.
  • Making the Renfri leader ability replace an unused leader ability (preventing Renfri from granting an extra leader ability). This is true to the spirit of the card and would certainly solve the myriad of issues with Renfri (it would almost certainly require a provision reduction to keep the card viable). But there are pragmatic issues in implementation. For instance, what constitutes an unused leader ability. The passive armor granting of Onslaught is far more valuable than the Onslaught damage order in a pirates deck. And the threat of NG’s lockdown leader (or enslave, double cross, or Imposter for that matter) usually has more impact than the actual use of the leader.
  • Eliminating either the curses or the blessings. This would bring the card down to a more reasonable power level (provisions could possibly be reduced if it is overkill). I would call this a good idea except that I think there is a similar, even better, idea already proposed.
GOOD nerfs
  • Give players a choice of curse or blessing — but not both. Or make the option dependent upon board state (e.g. a blessing if you control a bandit, a curse otherwise). This maintains variety and reduces the point value of playing Renfri. Provision adjustment can be used if this nerf is too large.
  • Simply reduce the power value of Renfri. This is surely the simplest way to tone down a card that plays for too many points.
  • There are certainly other, more creative good ideas, my list is not comprehensive. These are the ideas that caught my attention.

Last edited:
my idea about next balance patch:

1. Renfri should limited point gain / damage like Gord has. the ceiling maybe 13 (since she is 7 + 13 = 20 which is good enough)
2. ST Dwarf package (Zoltan + Munro) is strong. Zoltan = 14 point for 13 cost which is fine but Munro can do 27 points max. Maybe 2 charges (20 points max) is not too strong for 12 provision cost.
3. MO Cat should not allow to play again when have doom. This should also apply to Bjorn rather than click and disappear. and Teleport should not allow to play on doomed unit, too.
4. Maybe Scenario needs a bit buff by lowing provision cost for 1 as an incentive to play more next month.
5. Etheral should be unnerfed or redesign since it cannot play now.
6. buff NG Soldier archetype, NR Mobilization (2 times but can use once per round), and maybe unnerf Lyrian Scytheman. so NR Witcher archetype is playable again.

my idea about next balance patch:
[...]
2. ST Dwarf package (Zoltan + Munro) is strong. Zoltan = 14 point for 13 cost which is fine but Munro can do 27 points max. Maybe 2 charges (20 points max) is not too strong for 12 provision cost.
[...]
I have no idea how you reach the conclusion that Munro can do 27 points.
The only explanation would be that you count the transformation of 2 point units into <=7 point units as 7 points.
If you do not ignore the 6 points of the transformed Rowdy you get to the conclusion that he is worth up to 21 points, which is about what you stated would not be too strong. Not to mention that he requires slow, random damage and combo pieces to set up the Rowdy Dwarves.
Based on that I would argue Munro does not require any kind of nerf.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom