Patch Notes 10.8

+
and there goes my salamandra poison deck, failed experiment you will be missed. i would have managed with anything else, lowered power, an increased provision cost like all the other powerful bronze cards the carry entire decks, even a 2 turn cooldown. I've never seen anyone play this build but me, and it was surprisingly good, not great but good.

and there goes my salamandra poison deck, failed experiment you will be missed. i would have managed with anything else, lowered power, an increased provision cost like all the other powerful bronze cards the carry entire decks, even a 2 turn cooldown. I've never seen anyone play this build but me, and it was surprisingly good, not great but good.
Failed experiment has has been rendered virtually meaningless. And I don’t think it merited a nerf in the first place. Using it for multiple opponent poisoning demanded much self poison which, except for Gellert, comes at its own significant cost. If there were a problem, it was Gellert — but I don’t see a problem in the first place. It just feels like the developers decided to slam every existing meta-deck without really thinking beyond data.

I guess the plan is that every deck use one of the OP scenarios — together with Heatwave for your opponent’s scenario. The latest card drop ruins the entire game for another month.

Failed experiment has has been rendered virtually meaningless. And I don’t think it merited a nerf in the first place. Using it for multiple opponent poisoning demanded much self poison which, except for Gellert, comes at its own significant cost. If there were a problem, it was Gellert — but I don’t see a problem in the first place. It just feels like the developers decided to slam every existing meta-deck without really thinking beyond data.

I guess the plan is that every deck use one of the OP scenarios — together with Heatwave for your opponent’s scenario. The latest card drop ruins the entire game for another month.
I think you're right mate. It's the most efficient in terms of team resource spending.
Nerf the big ticket items and then hope that the rest will balance somehow =)

I'm having a problem that soft passes are not working properly. This has happend to me 4 or 5 times in the last 2 days. Example: It's round 2, I'm starting, and I have one less card than opponent. I play a Monsters spell card to put frost on opponent's (presently empty) rows. So both rows on both sides are still empty. Opponent plays a disloyal spy (I now have one 1-point card in one of my rows; opponent still has 0). I pass, to hopefully force opponent to play a unit (all of my remaining cards will damage enemy units). Opponent then plays a unit with a value of 4 and ends their turn. Game suddenly ends completely as if I passed again (I definitely did not!), and I lose 4 to 1, despite having three more cards to play (3, 4, and 7 as I recall).

This is basically breaking the game, at least for one important mechanic.

Another bug: If you copy a default starter deck, to work on it yourself, that deck will disappear as soon as you close the game and re-open it, even if you edited it. And the Monsters deck cannot be copied at all. It fails with an error. Presently the only way to make a personal deck is to start with a blank slate (at least as of the middle of last night, i.e. early this morning; it's late afternoon now my time).

Last edited:
I'm having a problem that soft passes are not working properly. This has happend to me 4 or 5 times in the last 2 days. Example: It's round 2, I'm starting, and I have one less card than opponent. I play a Monsters spell card to put frost on opponent's (presently empty) rows. So both rows on both sides are still empty. Opponent plays a disloyal spy (I now have one 1-point card in one of my rows; opponent still has 0). I pass, to hopefully force opponent to play a unit (all of my remaining cards will damage enemy units). Opponent then plays a unit with a value of 4 and ends their turn. Game suddenly ends completely as if I passed again (I definitely did not!), and I lose 4 to 1, despite having three more cards to play (3, 4, and 7 as I recall).

This is basically breaking the game, at least for one important mechanic.

Another bug: If you copy a default starter deck, to work on it yourself, that deck will disappear as soon as you close the game and re-open it, even if you edited it. And the Monsters deck cannot be copied at all. It fails with an error. Presently the only way to make a personal deck is to start with a blank slate (at least as of the middle of last night, i.e. early this morning; it's late afternoon now my time).
There is no such thing as a "soft pass". Once you pass, you will not be able to play further cards in the round. Passive abilities will trigger on what would be your turn, but you will not be able to play more cards until the next round.

So in your example, you go first on round 2 (which implies either you won round one or round one tied and your opponent had gone first in round 1). You put frost on empty rows, your opponent places a spy on your side. You pass. You are now finished for the round. Your frost will continue to cause damage while it exists, but you can never play another card. If your opponent plays a 4 power card, their turn ends. You cannot play. Your opponent's 4 power unit is damaged by two at the start of their next turn. The opponent passes that turn, immediately ending the round with opponent winning 2-1. Unless round 1 tied, the game should progress to round 3.

I have not tried copying starter decks, so I cannot help there.

You say you passed. Passing is definitive, it means you're leaving the round, you can't play after. So no bug here.
But you can put a card from your hand to your graveyard, directly, if you want to make a blank turn and continue playing after.

I tried it myself, and it works fine here:
1660214576664.png

Did exactly the same - I copied the starter deck, added a bunch of random cards, changed the name, saved it and exited the game. It's still there after the next launch.

Why is so difficult to keep draft updated? Honest question.

Drives me crazy each month that passes while it sits incredibly outdated.

Found a card bug: The description of Circle of Life lists various things it does. I believe it does do them all. However, it ALSO spawns a 1-point Treant, and the description doesn't mention this. See screenshot of description, which also shows the spawned 1-pointer right behind it. I've observed it spawning this extra card 5 times in row of using it, so it's a repeatable matter, not a one-off glitch. FWIW, I would say it's preferable that the description be updated rather than the spawning be removed. EDIT: After further testing, I take it back that the card does everything it says. It does NOT "boost a random Scoia'tael unit in your hand by 2" at all; it spawns the 1-point card INSTEAD.

Attachments

• Gwent - Circle of Life bug.jpg
    Gwent - Circle of Life bug.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Found a card bug: The description of Circle of Life lists various things it does. I believe it does do them all. However, it ALSO spawns a 1-point Treant, and the description doesn't mention this. See screenshot of description, which also shows the spawned 1-pointer right behind it. I've observed it spawning this extra card 5 times in row of using it, so it's a repeatable matter, not a one-off glitch. FWIW, I would say it's preferable that the description be updated rather than the spawning be removed.

LOL, mate check the leader ability you’re playing with :)
Also being a Nature card it spawns treants if there’s at least one unit with Simbiosis on the board

Still no changes to sihil, mill, clog, sabbath kelly/gerny, viy. draft? No arena? Rogue mage already in discount, i payed full for an unfinished product.
Even title screen looks unfinished...
gwent-rogue-mage.jpg

Still no changes to sihil, mill, clog, sabbath kelly/gerny, viy. draft? No arena? Rogue mage already in discount, i payed full for an unfinished product.
Even title screen looks unfinished...
View attachment 11313839
Sihil is a problem because it’s so matchup dependent. I haven’t played draft, but I have seen convincing arguments that it is not receiving necessary attention. Otherwise, I don’t agree with your complaints.

Arena was always slow and pointless (pure luck); I believe draft has potential — a good replacement.

Viy and mill may be annoying, but they keep certain extreme decks (decks that are much worse like hyperthin and Compass) in check. And they are weak enough to not be a problem for any deck that takes a moderate, balanced approach to the game.

Clog is also weak, but adds a strategic element to the game (for both players) which I appreciate and enjoy. It could reasonably be argued that Kolgrim is poorly designed/balanced, but I think clog in general is an interesting concept — although I would prefer clog cards that stand on their own rather than relying on a binary payoff card (Kolgrim).

I find Sabbath to be strong but a vital component to many monster decks — and broken in none. In short, it is a great contribution to the game.

Kelly is one of the game’s most strategically interesting cards and needs no tampering.

Bloody Mistress/Gernichora is another strategically rich card that I do not find imbalanced.

The only potential problem with these monster cards are when multiple copies are generated. So far, even that has been been balanced, but there is potential future abuse possible with cards like Arachas Queen that allow multiple copies.

There are plenty of real problems with Gwent; I don’t think any of these (except Sihil) should be a priority.

Last edited:
Found a card bug: The description of Circle of Life lists various things it does. I believe it does do them all. However, it ALSO spawns a 1-point Treant, and the description doesn't mention this. See screenshot of description, which also shows the spawned 1-pointer right behind it. I've observed it spawning this extra card 5 times in row of using it, so it's a repeatable matter, not a one-off glitch. FWIW, I would say it's preferable that the description be updated rather than the spawning be removed.
Strange bug.

Let me guess, sometimes this treants are also buffed?

What's wrong with Mill? It's so dead I haven't seen any since Renfri drop.
Clog is super-dead since it cannot clog the deck with tokens

There are plenty of real problems with Gwent; I don’t think any of these (except Sihil) should be a priority.

I see what you mean, i hadn't played in a while but i did afer i read your comments and you're both right.

I did find it hard to come back into the game again though, fun wise, maybe it's the new scenario's i don't really know. I quit the game a while ago, and after trying it again i might quit some more, the magic is gone for me.

I see what you mean, i hadn't played in a while but i did afer i read your comments and you're both right.

I did find it hard to come back into the game again though, fun wise, maybe it's the new scenario's i don't really know. I quit the game a while ago, and after trying it again i might quit some more, the magic is gone for me.
All the scenarios offer too many points for one card that trades up (in points) vs. literally everything. There are basically two ways of dealing with them -- Heatwave (which trades down points, but not necessarily by too much to make up), or strategically by forcing play of a scenario in situations where it doesn't really matter (such as rounds that would be won by the scenario player without it, or when tags are unavailable to trigger it). The new scenarios are all engines -- and the engine value alone is astronomical in some cases. But that also renders them relatively ineffective in very short (3 or 4 card rounds). They are vulnerable to bleeding, but dry passing is becoming irrelevant as an option.

DRK3

Forum veteran
All the scenarios offer too many points for one card that trades up (in points) vs. literally everything. There are basically two ways of dealing with them -- Heatwave (which trades down points, but not necessarily by too much to make up), or strategically by forcing play of a scenario in situations where it doesn't really matter (such as rounds that would be won by the scenario player without it, or when tags are unavailable to trigger it). The new scenarios are all engines -- and the engine value alone is astronomical in some cases. But that also renders them relatively ineffective in very short (3 or 4 card rounds). They are vulnerable to bleeding, but dry passing is becoming irrelevant as an option.
Actually, i think Yrden is better on average than heatwave in dealing with the new scenarios.
Because almost all new scenarios are boost focused, the NR one even encourages the player to rowstack.

If you heatwave the scenario, the opponent still gets the prologue, and a lot of boosts from the cards that synergize with scenario. Its simply more effective to deal with it after its done than trying to counter their strategy every turn.

Actually, i think Yrden is better on average than heatwave in dealing with the new scenarios.
Because almost all new scenarios are boost focused, the NR one even encourages the player to rowstack.

If you heatwave the scenario, the opponent still gets the prologue, and a lot of boosts from the cards that synergize with scenario. Its simply more effective to deal with it after its done than trying to counter their strategy every turn.
The problem with Yrden is that it doesn’t address Endless Voyage — arguably the most imbalanced of all the scenarios.

Top Bottom