Patch Notes 10.8

+
Found another card bug: Geralt of Rivia (the card that nukes any unit of 9 or more power) doesn't work on Fercart. Here's a screenshot from a game in which someone played Fercart, at 13 power (and no status that would interfere with Geralt), so I played Geralt, and Geralt did nothing. Not able to target the Fercart card (and there was no other applicable target for him). Second time this has happened to me. I keep losing matches because the cards do not perform as documented.

Attachments

• Gwent bug - Geralt of Rivia doesn't work on Fercart.jpg
    Gwent bug - Geralt of Rivia doesn't work on Fercart.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 71
Found another card bug: Geralt of Rivia (the card that nukes any unit of 9 or more power) doesn't work on Fercart. Here's a screenshot from a game in which someone played Fercart, at 13 power (and no status that would interfere with Geralt), so I played Geralt, and Geralt did nothing. Not able to target the Fercart card (and there was no other applicable target for him). Second time this has happened to me. I keep losing matches because the cards do not perform as documented.
Your opponent has played a defender, which prevents any other unit on the row from being targeted. This is not an error, you should be unable to target Fercart in this instance.

Did exactly the same - I copied the starter deck, added a bunch of random cards, changed the name, saved it and exited the game. It's still there after the next launch.

It must've been a transient server problem. It IS working for me now, but was not when I reported the problem. I lost several decks in progress, but have not lost any after that day.
Post automatically merged:

Strange bug.

Let me guess, sometimes this treants are also buffed?

Nope. They're always 1-point cards. It's not even a card I have in my deck at all, at any power. They're been spawned from scratch. The card just doesn't do what it's documented to do.

Let's keep this discussion civilized and constructive.

If something in game isn't working as it should be, you can report those directly to Tech Support.
If you are unsure if things are working as they should, you can ask that for example in this thread. Or use Tech forum here.

This thread is about patch notes.

As per usual the balancing is generally good and moving in the right direction. The problem seems to be when new cards are released and come out extremely broken and we have to endure it for an entire month or two. Honestly, Kekker and Renfri releasing back to back has turned me into one of the cynics on these forums.

I'd point out that it's a really bad decision buffing gluttony on Renfri out of nowhere, though. I watched the dev stream and heard the reasoning that in many decks it wasn't being used, but then there's vampires where it's extremely broken and plays for a million points. When you balance cards you should balance them around where the highest ceiling is, not buff them because in random X or Y deck they aren't as good. At the very least you could put some cap on it if that was the intention.

40-50 point finishers aren't healthy for the game, not in this deck or any deck.

Last edited:
As per usual the balancing is generally good and moving in the right direction. The problem seems to be when new cards are released and come out extremely broken and we have to endure it for an entire month or two. Honestly, Kekker and Renfri releasing back to back has turned me into one of the cynics on these forums.

I'd point out that it's a really bad decision buffing gluttony on Renfri out of nowhere, though. I watched the dev stream and heard the reasoning that in many decks it wasn't being used, but then there's vampires where it's extremely broken and plays for a million points. When you balance cards you should balance them around where the highest ceiling is, not buff them because in random X or Y deck they aren't as good. At the very least you could put some cap on it if that was the intention.

40-50 point finishers aren't healthy for the game, not in this deck or any deck.

Good post.

In general, making decks that must lose R1 or they slap a 50 on last say is just making the RNG of R1 draws the biggest factor. Just like mill or clog. It's making those situations more common: you didn't draw right for R1 and they did, most times it's impossible to win no matter the skill advantage.

Well said.

There are 4 provision cards that play for 12 with no setup...
I think the balancing issue is actually a big issue to be taken seriously rather than "oh they are complaining like usual."

I do not think the approach they are taking with the new cards and balance is right <fundamentally>.
Just my opinion.

If we must be saddled with all these awful, overpowered scenario cards, can we at least get some varied (and interesting) counters instead of only Heatwave?

At present, the only really viable way to deal with scenarios is either Heatwave, or bleeding to force them to be used in rounds where they are either ineffective or overkill. Uncountered (either tactically with Heatwave or strategically), they outperform virtually anything when combined with other synergistic cards.

The problem with this approach to countering is that it cripples the game in other aspects.

For example, Heatwave trades down (sometimes badly) to scenario, which then also forces high tempo inclusions in the deck. Moreover, Heatwave is very binary (one player draws scenario, the other misses Heatwave).

Presently, every viable deck runs either a scenario, or some nearly as brokenly powerful card like Renfri, Nekker, Sihil or the like. (I guess I should be grateful that at least scenarios can be tactically countered.) But that means Heatwave is also endemic — and that is a double hit to any deck which relies upon graveyard tactics or upon any lynchpin card (e.g. Artis or Royal Griffin).

In addition, because Heatwave, despite usually being necessary against scenarios, still trades down significantly, and because scenarios are best deployed early in a round, almost every match up now encourages bleeding — dry passing is almost never as effective against scenario and is already discouraged by other broken combinations (e.g. Simlas or Witches Sabbath). This all but eliminates one of the most important strategic considerations from the game (never choose to dry pass). And it narrows further the range of viable decks as all decks now need sufficient tempo in expendable cards to carry round one and sufficient engine value to force out meaningful cards early in a round 2 bleed.

In an ideal game, as I have suggested in another thread, all these highly powered, remove or lose, nonstrategic, binary cards would be removed. But as they now number well over 100, this is not likely feasible. Perhaps the next best thing would be access to a sufficient number of varied, but tactically and strategically interesting counters (in the same 10 provision design space as Heatwave). Let me suggest some ideas (which could be tweaked for balance):
  • A card that steals an artifact from an opponents board and allows you to play it
  • A card that removes the highest provision artifact from an opponent’s hand (replacing it with a draw) if played melee and from the opponent’s deck if played ranged. (A card with the same effect on specials would also be beneficial to the game — but that’s a whole other topic).
  • A card that “locks” artifacts as well as units
  • A card that sends any unit played or spawned the previous turn to the graveyard
  • A card that duplicates all special card, artifact card, or order effects on a random unit, row, etc. on the opposite side of the board
Of course, these might not all balance adequately; they are certainly not a complete list of possibilities. But I hope they convey the essence of my thoughts on Heatwave alternatives.

If we must be saddled with all these awful, overpowered scenario cards, can we at least get some varied (and interesting) counters instead of only Heatwave?

Because how amazing GWENT could be, it is truly sad how bad they MADE it with the new cards.

Tuirseach Invader
Deranged Corsair
Highland Warlord

1There are so many things to fix, but point inflation and OP 4/5 provision cards needs to stop. please. just stop...

I play ST, but even ST, please stop TRYING to make us play a deck. It's like they go, "EVERYONE, PLEASE PLAY HARMONY, bu-bu-buu-buuufff!"
or SK? -> Let's buff everything so people play RAID and Pirates! Cultist? Well... lets buff it even more! SO MORE people play CULTIST!

__ LET THE COMMUNITY CREATE THE DECKS NOT YOU.

Let the COMMUNITY come with deck ideas, rather than force it on us with these unbalanced cards.
It. Isn't. FUn.

Let. the community create the decks by balancing cards and having a "Season of the nerf"
Post automatically merged:

At present, the only really viable way to deal with scenarios is either Heatwave, or bleeding to force them to be used in rounds where they are either ineffective or overkill. Uncountered (either tactically with Heatwave or strategically), they outperform virtually anything when combined with other synergistic cards.

The problem with this approach to countering is that it cripples the game in other aspects.

For example, Heatwave trades down (sometimes badly) to scenario, which then also forces high tempo inclusions in the deck. Moreover, Heatwave is very binary (one player draws scenario, the other misses Heatwave).

Presently, every viable deck runs either a scenario, or some nearly as brokenly powerful card like Renfri, Nekker, Sihil or the like. (I guess I should be grateful that at least scenarios can be tactically countered.) But that means Heatwave is also endemic — and that is a double hit to any deck which relies upon graveyard tactics or upon any lynchpin card (e.g. Artis or Royal Griffin).

In addition, because Heatwave, despite usually being necessary against scenarios, still trades down significantly, and because scenarios are best deployed early in a round, almost every match up now encourages bleeding — dry passing is almost never as effective against scenario and is already discouraged by other broken combinations (e.g. Simlas or Witches Sabbath). This all but eliminates one of the most important strategic considerations from the game (never choose to dry pass). And it narrows further the range of viable decks as all decks now need sufficient tempo in expendable cards to carry round one and sufficient engine value to force out meaningful cards early in a round 2 bleed.

In an ideal game, as I have suggested in another thread, all these highly powered, remove or lose, nonstrategic, binary cards would be removed. But as they now number well over 100, this is not likely feasible. Perhaps the next best thing would be access to a sufficient number of varied, but tactically and strategically interesting counters (in the same 10 provision design space as Heatwave). Let me suggest some ideas (which could be tweaked for balance):
  • A card that steals an artifact from an opponents board and allows you to play it
  • A card that removes the highest provision artifact from an opponent’s hand (replacing it with a draw) if played melee and from the opponent’s deck if played ranged. (A card with the same effect on specials would also be beneficial to the game — but that’s a whole other topic).
  • A card that “locks” artifacts as well as units
  • A card that sends any unit played or spawned the previous turn to the graveyard
  • A card that duplicates all special card, artifact card, or order effects on a random unit, row, etc. on the opposite side of the board
Of course, these might not all balance adequately; they are certainly not a complete list of possibilities. But I hope they convey the essence of my thoughts on Heatwave alternatives.
At this momment, they should just create cards that say "Play this card and you will win the round" (provision 13)
Or "If opponent can't kill this card, you will win this round" (Provision 10)

Because that's what many of these new cards are.

(...)

I play ST, but even ST, please stop TRYING to make us play a deck. It's like they go, "EVERYONE, PLEASE PLAY HARMONY, bu-bu-buu-buuufff!"
or SK? -> Let's buff everything so people play RAID and Pirates! Cultist? Well... lets buff it even more! SO MORE people play CULTIST!

__ LET THE COMMUNITY CREATE THE DECKS NOT YOU.
(...)
To be fair, I saw a LOT of people asking a little love for Harmony, and the team delivered... :) Next time, people will be angry with the Nilfgaard Soldiers they asked for regularly.

I agree about the point inflation with some crazy bronze cards. Deranged Corsair is too powerful and synergistic. Highland warriors create an enormous payoff for little commitment. Hard to counter, not many flaws... It's visible : old decks that were OP cannot keep up (in their former shape). It's even harder for meme decks or just funny homebrew decks.
I'm curious to compare points generated in a match (body, boosts and damages/removal) between 2020 Gwent (where I started to play) and now...

Not all the new cards are OP, some are balanced, some are strong but you need to work to get the value. They are totally outshined. And we end up playing the same lists, even without netdecking, by pure deckbuilding logic ; just to keep up.
And also, I often feel like I play against an AI...

Top Bottom