Patch Notes 10.9

+
Wait, spam Bribery is "interesting, unique ability"?
As if skellen could only be used for that? Using it with cadaverine as a finisher for a tactic deck was very successfull for me. And there are several other tactics he was usefull for… Now it looks a bit like simlas waylay…only less powerfull but also spamming massive points on deploy. I think thats the wrong direction.

As if skellen could only be used for that? Using it with cadaverine as a finisher for a tactic deck was very successfull for me. And there are several other tactics he was usefull for… Now it looks a bit like simlas waylay…only less powerfull but also spamming massive points on deploy. I think thats the wrong direction.
Nobody said it wasn't useful. In fact, spamming and high-rolling Bribery is probably just as useful as spamming Cadaverine. Nor do I disagree that the rework seems rather dull. I just don't see how 5-body replay a card order is "unique and interesting."

Nauzicaa Sergeant - Provision cost changed from 4 to 5.

Ability changed to:

Deploy: If your opponent has won a round this game, Spawn and play Battle preparation.

This NG 5 provision card plays for 10 power/2armor as long as the oppenent wins one game.. LOL AND it's gives option to give Battle preparation on another unit. THIS IS NOT A 5 PROVISION BRONZE CARD

It's a 5 provision card. FIVE provision. There are still many 8+ provision cards that play for less.

NG literally has everything. No point playing other decks.

Nobody said it wasn't useful. In fact, spamming and high-rolling Bribery is probably just as useful as spamming Cadaverine. Nor do I disagree that the rework seems rather dull. I just don't see how 5-body replay a card order is "unique and interesting."
Does everyone was playing skellen to do double cadaverine ? How useless really
I mean what if there's no intresting unit to poison or copy and what if u dont draw skellen with cadaverine ?
I was playing him to play double royal decree or betreyal
The reason why skellen was nerfed is just bc it would to much strong to play war council twice now
But also to do nice combo with hefty heldge

Ard Feainn Crossbowman

5 provision:

4 Power, 2 armor
Deploy Damage an enemy unit by 2 (Makes this 6 power 2 armor)
Flanking (Ranked +Armor 1st turn or +1 more damage PERTURN) Make this 6 power 2 armor on deploy + 1 per turn.
Barricade: Damage a random enemy if you played a Soilder (Makes this 6 power, 2 armor, +1 perturn damage/armor, +1 damage)

HOW. IS. THIS. a 5 PROVISION BRONZE UNIT LOL

A moment of silence for Wolf Pack (Power 2. Provision 4. Deploy: Damage an enemy unit by 2.)
Our beloved pack of wolves that I have never seen before :)
Keep it real and simple cute wolves.

Last edited:
Let me share some preliminary reactions to the patch. I will hold back on predictions as I have not been too successful in the past.
  • Most striking is that the developers did nothing to several cards I find both overpowered and binary. Absolutely nothing was done about Sihil, Simlas, Renfri, Magic Compass, Golden Nekker, Cahir, or all the garbage scenarios. That is my biggest disappointment.
  • I am excited about the new seasonal modes. Both focus upon games play as much as deck-building, and are unlikely to be dominated by a single card or deck. Bearly Balanced might be an excellent mode to emphasize strategic elements of the game such as resource management (commitment level) and contemplation of possible opponent responses. In time, it might get boring, but I am looking forward to it for now.
  • Despite what I expect will continue to be a meta dominated by a small handful of badly overpowered cards (which significantly limit variety), I think a good job has been done to equalize the best decks of each faction.
  • I greatly appreciate the heavy re-work of the Nilfgaard soldier archetype. Although I don't know how the changes will play out, it gives players several fresh and interesting things to try. The rework also significantly impacts spying and assimilate archetypes, so much will be new with NG.
  • I also appreciate the changes to Monsters cards. I don't think they are enough to revitalize the deathwish archetype, but they are all moves in a good direction.
  • Except for the failure to address OP and binary cards, remove or lose cards like Endless Journey, I am OK with the absence of change to SK. It is an interesting faction to play with multiple non-meta but still interesting and somewhat viable deck possibilities.
  • With Northern Realms, I am again happy with the modifications except for the failure to address the OP, binary, remove or lose Damsel in Distress. I don't think the change to Knighthood was necessary, but I also don't think it breaks anything that was not already broken. And I appreciate the recognition that Knight Errant was too much.
  • The decisions mainly impacting ST (Milva and Alissa Henson) seem absolutely horrible. I understand that there is at least one dominating ST deck that the developers want to address. But the real problem has always been Simlas (and possibly Vernossiel) -- not Alissa, Vanadain, Waylay, Bountiful Harvest, or any of the other scapegoats often targeted instead. OK, Mysteries of Loc Feainn is as broken as the other scenarios, and Gezras is as remove or lose as a card can be, but those cards probably don't cause disproportionate problems.
  • SY had good, justified changes that are probably sufficient to keep the faction balanced.
  • Despite the failure to address the huge discrepancies in potential value of cards (which results in randomness rather than skill determining match outcomes), I think there are some trends emerging that will make the game more strategic. The addition of a significant armor component to yet another faction helps ensure that more units remain on the board despite significant removal. Strategic interaction requires cards on the board to interact with. Several High RNG cards (Tibor, Spotter), Van Moorlehem Servant) were replaced or nerfed. And numerous Bronze cards were brought raised in value while no top-end cards were buffed -- which reduces (although nowhere near enough) the excessive play value gap between low and high provision cards.
  • I do note some (possibly unintended) effects in NG. NG will now only have one bonded card (Illusionist) as both Alba Pikeman and Magne Division lose that tag. NG also loses 3 assimilate cards (and all 4 provision assimilate cards). While I recognize that these cards were rarely used, pure assimilate focus is now almost impossible. NG Soldiers has effectively lost an iconic meme card. Vrygheff should now play for consistent and respectable value, but has lost is potential to be a deck defining card. With the loss of spotter, NG loses some of its ability to use its opponents cards better than the opponent -- a defining characteristic of NG. NG has now lost two passive engines (Magne Division and Alba Pikeman). I believe that leaves NG with only four passive engines (Kolgrim and Cahir -- two of the most binary cards in the game, Viper Witcher Adept, and Master of Disguise). Significantly more potential bricks will have to be worked around in NG -- either through play or through deckbuilding.
  • I appreciate the flavor of different NG military divisions having unique characteristics. Imperial Formation also has a nice, military flavor.
I’m one of the few who is (was) using the assimilate tactics. It was my favorite deck which I had been fiddling on for years. Now it’s quite changed as I have lost six units with assimilate. I understand that they wanted the soldiers in NG to make more sense, but shouldn’t they compensate the rework of assimilate? Like adding new ones or changing the least used NG cards to assimilate?

Just to figure something,
NG now has assassin mage, naussicaa brigade, divison magne, the annarietta dogs, the daerlander soldier wich btw become overpowered, but also they have the recrute that allow you to play division magne twice
So it 6 cards now all bronze that allow to rotate ur deck
NG has better ways to rotate her deck than SK Now, wich it was supposed to be to be the main playing of SK

Just to figure something,
NG now has assassin mage, naussicaa brigade, divison magne, the annarietta dogs, the daerlander soldier wich btw become overpowered, but also they have the recrute that allow you to play division magne twice
So it 6 cards now all bronze that allow to rotate ur deck
NG has better ways to rotate her deck than SK Now, wich it was supposed to be to be the main playing of SK

Add Renfri and her gang too and u get a deck :)

I hate NG, so focus buff to NG this month is bad news for me.
I briefly read through the patch notes. It seems NG received huge buffs to 5p bronzes and new tutors. Come on, now everyone under Pro Rank will play NG (n)

I'm probably most annoyed by the fact that the devs looked at Fercart and went, "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a card that did exactly the same thing with one less body and no spy stuff which no one cares about and was a 5p bronze?" "Oh yeah, great idea! Give a raise to this one!"

So after two days we can clearly see that NG is completely OP and dominating every level, why the update to MO did absolutely nothing.

Wow. Do they EVER look at the "gwent community posts"

I don't even play Skellige but ->

"Skellige

No changes."

This is not funny. It's not a joke. IT's lazy.

That's like... a MEME level of what balancing should NOT be. It's almost they wanted to make people that play gwent angry.
Do they not know that people are not happy with the fact that NG is being played too much, or the overpowered/binary cards with "if you can't counter this one card, you lose round" attribute?
Do they not know that there are cards that are 4 provision but play for 10+ points with little setup required?

They decided to do 0 things what people said in the "gwent community"

My theory is they don't know how to balance and they don't listen or care what people say in the community.
They have proved it.

Now MORE People (as it hasn't already been so) will play NG, and it's like they have 5 children but only love one of them.
That's alienating 4 other children.

This is the final straw for me, I am out.

I'm done with this game.
Not because it's not "balanced" at the top 50 players, but because there is so much disconnect, so much disrespect to the people who spend TIME to write posts on the "Community" website (why do they even have it if they don't read it). I have played games for 25 years, and I've never seen updates like these that are blatantly disrespectful.
Tbh they weren’t exactly hurting. Skell decks are pretty common, and there’s like 3 viable variants.

I agree they should probably not approach balancing the way they are currently. It’s pretty infuriating.

Even if it makes me very sad… i think im out this time.

Every single month they release new absolutely broken stuff - trying to make specific archetypes competitive to the broken crap released before. Nerfing seems to be no option.

The choice is to join the majority of players and use the same crap or to lose most games trying not to do so.

When i started this game i was very addicted by its strategic aspects and its huge diversity.
Sadly it loses a little bit of both every single month and becomes a game based mostly on luck and pointslams.

When playing this fun is more and more replaced by frustration and i just dont want this anymore.

Top Bottom