Patch Notes 11.5

+

It's May and Update 11.5 breathes new life into our roster of dragons!

You can also expect another event to return and other changes to existing cards.

May your lineage help you to victory!
New Features
The Shupe Event returns! - Shupe has returned from his adventures. Complete contracts for exclusive rewards, or visit his Shop to see what he has to offer. Just make sure to gather Sparkly Rocks for him, which you can find by playing GWENT! Also, Shupe will be giving special deals to all his favourite umans during the event! Get 30% off on select vanities during this sale!

This event will be active from May 12th to May 26th.

New Keyword - Lineage - At the start of the game, boost self by the number of Dragons in your starting deck.

New Defender VFX - Whenever selecting a target, when there is a Defender on your opponent's side, this new effect will highlight the status effect, as well as mark any available targets on that row more clearly.
ChangesNeutral
Myrgtabrakke - Power changed from 5 to 4.

Provision cost changed from 7 to 12.

Ability changed to:

Lineage.

Deploy: Draw a Dragon, then move a card from your hand to the bottom of your deck.

Order: Damage an enemy unit by 1.

Charges: 0

At the start of the game, set the number of Charges to match your Lineage [0].

Ocvist - Provision cost changed from 10 to 12.

Ability changed to:

Lineage.

Deploy: Spawn Cataclysm on the opposite row for 2 turns.

Timer 3: Damage all enemy units by 1.

Roach - Provision cost changed from 9 to 10.

Saesenthessis: Blaze - Power changed from 5 to 1.

Provision cost changed from 10 to 12.

Ability changed to:

Lineage.

While in hand, deck, or on the battlefield, whenever an enemy unit is destroyed or Banished during your turn, boost self by 1.

Villentretenmerth - Provision cost changed from 11 to 13.

Ability changed to:

Lineage.

Timer 3: Destroy the highest-power unit(s) on the battlefield, excluding Dragons you control.
Monsters
Acid Spit - Provision cost changed from 8 to 6.

Kikimore Worker - Removed the Melee condition.
Skellige
Coral - Provision cost changed from 9 to 8.

Dagur Two Blades - Provision cost changed from 10 to 9.

Dire Bear - Now triggers a VFX whenever it blocks a boost.

Kraken - Deathwish ability changed to:

At the end of this turn, Summon self to the opposite row and boost self by the number of unique allied Beasts.

Magic Compass - Provision cost changed from 9 to 10.
Northern Realms
Inspired Zeal - Ability changed to:

Order: Boost an allied unit by 2. If it's a non-Neutral unit, also give it Zeal.

Charges: 3

Drakenborg - Provision cost changed from 9 to 8.

Ability changed to:

Resilience.

Deploy: Summon a unit from your deck to this row and Lock it.

Order: Give an allied unit Vitality 0. Increase this value by the amount of boost that was on the Summoned unit.
Scoia'tael
Quarixis - Provision cost changed from 13 to 11.

Saskia - Power changed from 5 to 6.

Ability changed to:

Deploy: Spawn an Elven Deadeye, Rowdy Dwarf, or Young Dryad on this row.

Gain an Order ability based on the unit you Spawned:

Elven Deadeye - Order: Spawn and Play Waylay.

Rowdy Dwarf - Order: Spawn and play Tempering.

Young Dryad - Order: Spawn and play Dryad's Caress.

Saskia: Commander - Power changed from 4 to 3.

Provision cost changed from 13 to 14.

Mahakam Defender - Ability changed to:

Barricade: At the end of your turn, boost self by 1.
Nilfgaard
Combat Engineer - No longer has the Soldier tag.

Mangonel - Ability changed to:

Zeal. Order: Damage an enemy unit by 1. For each Spying unit adjacent to it, increase the damage by 1.

Charge: 1

Rot Tosser - Ability changed to:

Order: Spawn and play a Cow Carcass.

Charge: 1
Syndicate
Blood Money - Provision bonus changed from 16 to 15.

Casimir Bassi - Now also has Profit 3.

Madame Luiza - Added VFX to the Order ability.

Vivaldi Bank - Provision cost changed from 9 to 10.

Profit amount changed from 3 to 4.

Explosives - Damage changed from 2 to 3.

Starting Fee changed from 2 to 3.

Oxenfurt Guard - Now has the Soldier tag.
Game Fixes
King Henselt no longer reacts to the Cooldowns of artifacts.

Sandor de Baccalà no longer shows the player's deck in order.

Backup Plan now specifies that it can only Create bronze Scoia'tael Elves.

Thank you for nerfing cards in the nekker bounty deck. Better late than never. :)

I was so sick of facing the oppressive damage of that list even in casual matches. I ended a match against it today losing like 33 points to 0.

First impressions?

The good: Magic Compass. Finally. Also Drakenborg sorted out, I hope.

The interesting: The dragons - let's see how they work out!

The bad: Quarixis gets a buff. Not a nerf. A buff. This seems like madness to me.
Also still nothing done about Highland Warlord or Simlas. Ugh...

I understand that you can’t buff neutrals too much, because otherwise every deck is build around them (e.g. renfri incident), but what is the point in reworking unplayable dragons into different unplayable dragons?
Without the lineage none of these dragons is remotely worth its provision cost and if I play like 5 of them the rest of my deck consists of 4p bronzes because they cost a million provisions.
And then the game plan is to set up the worlds biggest scorch on a timer 3? I don’t see that ever happening.

Rest of the patch is appreciated tho.

OK, quick reactions:

-Don't know about Dragons. Might be interesting.
-Compass nerf is fine, but it only affects SK. Horses are still untouched. 10/8 would have been a real easy fix.
-Drakenbourg: goodbye.
-Quarixis: a welcome buff.
-Saskia!!! Holy shit.
-Sas Commander: double nerf not really justified imo, but I don't really care either way.

Overall, a much better patch than the last, that's for sure

First impression...maybe there is still hope! But not so much
POSITIVE
- nice update about Dragons! Interesting
- Magic Compass nerfed, yeah! Took you so long guys...
- as Barracuda said, Drakenbourg goodbye...
NEGATIVE
- hello CDPR, the majority of players is using Nilfgaard and it's so annoying, why don't you START nerfing some of the Nilfgaard cards....
- hello CDPR, please remove the Heist card...it's ridicolous that Simlas decks (which were already strong before) got this new card, which is also echo....
- the changes to Dragons should be accompanied by the introduction of at least a couple of bronze Dragon units (4 provisions cost) and maybe a Dragons location\scenario, otherwise what is the point....now all Dragon cards have very high provision cost.
But maybe the next card drop will bring something! I am curious
- what is the point in nerfing Saskia Commander (+1 provision cost) if then you reduce the provision cost of Quarixis by 2 ?!!
Let me repeat the exclamation marks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This means that overall it doesn't change anything because my grandma could still play Saskia Commander on the first round and the Harmony scenario on round 2/3 and easily win the game without even knowing the rules of the game! And, in addition, now the Harmony deck will cost 1 provision less!

Roach :confused::confused:

MO getting a punch in the guts with no real buffs for Beasts or Specters

NR a shot i.t kneecap on the Drakenborg

SY losing it's meta deck

NG stays full meta

Are the (expensive) Dragons to be played with ST?

Vivaldi bank :cry:, too expensive, give it Crime tag

SK no Compass but yay Coral(=that underused card:ok:)

'Neutrals' still favor NG most and NR and maybe ST with the Dragonbuffnerf?

This is the kind of patch I look forward to. It revitalized two archetypes (dragons and NG machines), addressed 4 abusive decks (SK Nekker/compass, SY Nekker/ Bounty/ poison, ST Harmony with Commander, and NR Drakenborg), and it assisted some unusably weak cards. I don’t like every change, but I appreciate the tone of the patch.

Let me comment on individual changes.

Neutral dragons — I appreciate all dragons becoming major unit in the game. Villentretenmerth worried me at first — it was one of the most tactically interesting cards in the game (although admittedly not strong enough to be usable). But the changes not only significantly raise its power level, I think they increase tactical possibilities.

Monsters — Acid Spit was already very dangerous. 6 provisions also makes it cheap. I think this is an unnecessary ( and over done) boost. Kikimore Warriors is an insignificant but appropriate change.

Skellige — Coral and Dagur are both I’ll-considered buffs. Both are quite binary (Coral, very draw dependent, and Dagur is remove or lose) and neither needed additional support. Dire Bear and Kracken are meaningless changes. Compass is definitely a problem I’m happy to see nerfed, but I am tired of seeing broken cards addressed by changing the cards around them. Why not address the real problem — Golden Nekker?

Northern Realms — Inspired zeal seems like a fair change. Drakenborg needed a fix, and this does the job without changing the spirit of the card. But I think 6 provisions would now be a much fairer price.

Scoia’tael — time will tell, but I think a minor problem has been fixed and a major one created. I don’t think Saskia: Commander was really a problem although I understand the incentive to nerf harmony. One of the two changes would probably have been enough. I believe the change to plain Saskia is simply too much. I have already been using vanilla Saskia in a Harmony deck to good effect and I’m not sure 15 + pointslam is needed. And remember, it can be targeted by heist for another 9+. But mostly I believe that until the Vanadain/Simlas garbage is handled, ST should have no further access to either Waylay or Deadeyes. Mahakam Defender is a nice change — it better fits the lore, and is more natural in its archetype.

NG — all three changes revolve around giving Combat Engineer usable value without overdoing its power. Providing it two extra targets may be what is needed — and it is probably wise to prevent the easy copying of a soldier. But this does come at a significant cost. In isolation, all three changed cards are nerfed (and they were already marginal). I will definitely miss the old Mangonal. It presented interesting deck building options (the new ability is blah), and I hope to see it returned to the game in some way. The possibility of four total cow carcasses is interesting. It definitely makes rot tosser harder to defend. But I’m not sure I like seeing more poison.

Syndicate — Bllod Money is a good and necessary nerf. Madam Luiza and Oxenfurt Guard are meaningless changes. Vivaldi Bank change is pretty neutral. I appreciate separating the card from Nekker decks, but I think the right approach would be to address Golden Nekker directly. Casimir Bassi has has received a huge buff — and he was already an “undiscovered gem”. The profit is 3 extra points of immediate value — but the boost explosives received is huge — not just for the extra damage, but for the perfect synergy with Eveline and for the tactical ability to hold the explosive another round.

Neutral dragons
I have to wait and see, they seem expensive

Acid Spit was already very dangerous.
A bit of hit and miss though, 7 provisions? Definitely gonna try this card more now.

Coral and Dagur are both I’ll-considered buffs. Both are quite binary
Yes, indeed.

I am tired of seeing broken cards addressed by changing the cards around them. Why not address the real problem — Golden Nekker?
Haha, so correct, but will they ever learn?

Northern Realms — Inspired zeal seems like a fair change. Drakenborg needed a fix, and this does the job without changing the spirit of the card. But I think 6 provisions would now be a much fairer price.
I agree.

I will definitely miss the old Mangonal.

Yes, a bit of a shame. That said, i don't want to bicker about NG endlessly, to me they are still very strong

Syndicate — Bllod Money is a good and necessary nerf. Madam Luiza and Oxenfurt Guard are meaningless changes. Vivaldi Bank change is pretty neutral. I appreciate separating the card from Nekker decks, but I think the right approach would be to address Golden Nekker directly. Casimir Bassi has has received a huge buff — and he was already an “undiscovered gem”. The profit is 3 extra points of immediate value — but the boost explosives received is huge — not just for the extra damage, but for the perfect synergy with Eveline and for the tactical ability to hold the explosive another round
Syndicate. Yes, some meaningless changes. Vivaldi was good, but yes its the GN again. I am going to try the new cards again, they felt mediocre last patch. But I do like the cards, there is some potential there.

rrc

Forum veteran
I don't know why Enslave 6 Assimilate is not under the dev's radar. I would have faced it so many times and could barely win once in ten times. It seemed absolutely pointless to play against it. If you go for a long round 3, you are most certainly going to lose as they have and draw a lot of powerful cards. If you go for R2 bleed, you commit everything and in the best case the opponent also commits everything and both go on a 3 card R3, they will play Sergent, Sergent, Slave Driver to put 30 points on board where you have nothing. It is like if you bleed you die and if you don't you die too.

Even considered creating a post on how to deal with Enslave 6 assimilate deck. But apparently it was not under the dev's radar. I am pretty sure that it would still be super dominant in next season. So, I want to ask this question. What are the weakness of that deck and how to even win against it? How to tech against it or any specific deck which is super binary but can win E6E with absolute ease?

I don't know why Enslave 6 Assimilate is not under the dev's radar. I would have faced it so many times and could barely win once in ten times. It seemed absolutely pointless to play against it. If you go for a long round 3, you are most certainly going to lose as they have and draw a lot of powerful cards. If you go for R2 bleed, you commit everything and in the best case the opponent also commits everything and both go on a 3 card R3, they will play Sergent, Sergent, Slave Driver to put 30 points on board where you have nothing. It is like if you bleed you die and if you don't you die too.

Even considered creating a post on how to deal with Enslave 6 assimilate deck. But apparently it was not under the dev's radar. I am pretty sure that it would still be super dominant in next season. So, I want to ask this question. What are the weakness of that deck and how to even win against it? How to tech against it or any specific deck which is super binary but can win E6E with absolute ease?
You definitely have to push R2, so the ST decks that worked best for me against it would be dwarves and Harmony (the normal kind, not the "movement" version). Haven't played too much Vanadain, but maybe that deck would work as well. You always want to immediately heatwave Torres if it's played R1. I wouldn't say any of it wins with "ease". Ease is what the devs reserve for NG.

Roach :confused::confused:

MO getting a punch in the guts with no real buffs for Beasts or Specters

NR a shot i.t kneecap on the Drakenborg

SY losing it's meta deck

NG stays full meta

Are the (expensive) Dragons to be played with ST?

Vivaldi bank :cry:, too expensive, give it Crime tag

SK no Compass but yay Coral(=that underused card:ok:)

'Neutrals' still favor NG most and NR and maybe ST with the Dragonbuffnerf?
How exactly is NG full meta right now?
Post automatically merged:

You definitely have to push R2, so the ST decks that worked best for me against it would be dwarves and Harmony (the normal kind, not the "movement" version). Haven't played too much Vanadain, but maybe that deck would work as well. You always want to immediately heatwave Torres if it's played R1. I wouldn't say any of it wins with "ease". Ease is what the devs reserve for NG.
Any explanation for that last sentence?

Last edited:
Any explanation for that last sentence?
I didn't think it was necessary. Pretty obvious how NG is the easiest faction to play, starting with Calveit that removes the need to ever worry about drawing cards (which is a thing in card games, apparently!), to numerous unconditional or silly conditional removals (must have "status," for some reason, and not "must be the right-most unit on a row that have at least four other units on it..." Oh no, not NG), to non-removal silly conditions like "was given spy status at some point during the game" and "play this card for 10, unless you 2-0 you opponent,lol", to infinitely spammable locks, to under-provision assimilate create cards like bribery and diplomacy, to leader spam cards, to how it must have been a bit hard on NG to run into faction-specific cards that were unusable, so the devs went and fixed that "cuz draft mode," to unabashedly braindead archetypes like Mill and Clog, to the cards that reveal the opponent's deck in various ways, to like plenty of other shit I'm sure I forgot. I mean, really, you, an NG player, needed an explanation? Or were you just looking to start an argument? I'm sure the real reason NG is so overpopped is not because it's easy mode, but because it's "interesting."

I didn't think it was necessary. Pretty obvious how NG is the easiest faction to play, starting with Calveit that removes the need to ever worry about drawing cards (which is a thing in card games, apparently!), to numerous unconditional or silly conditional removals (must have "status," for some reason, and not "must be the right-most unit on a row that have at least four other units on it..." Oh no, not NG), to non-removal silly conditions like "was given spy status at some point during the game" and "play this card for 10, unless you 2-0 you opponent,lol", to infinitely spammable locks, to under-provision assimilate create cards like bribery and diplomacy, to leader spam cards, to how it must have been a bit hard on NG to run into faction-specific cards that were unusable, so the devs went and fixed that "cuz draft mode," to unabashedly braindead archetypes like Mill and Clog, to the cards that reveal the opponent's deck in various ways, to like plenty of other shit I'm sure I forgot. I mean, really, you, an NG player, needed an explanation? Or were you just looking to start an argument? I'm sure the real reason NG is so overpopped is not because it's easy mode, but because it's "interesting."
Man look, I could never bring myself to play something like NR Engines or ST Harmony solitaire, I need decks which aren't that one-dimensional to play. Even if engine overload decks were meta all the time, I wouldn't be happy to play them because they usually bore the hell out of me. When I was more active I used to play both NG and SY and of course they're good factions, but always calling NG "easy mode" and "the laziest" faction to play just because they're supposed to be favoured by the devs (why should they deliberately destroy their own game by overpowering a single faction all the time??) is a whole lot of accusations I don't see a lot of (any?) proof for. Sure, there're cards which do too much for their cost, but please tell me a single faction which doesn't have this problem? Plus I've never seen a pro player refer to NG as "the easy way", I've heard quite the opposite actually for most of the past decks. Again, doesn't mean it's a bad faction or incredibly hard to play all the time, not at all. And it may be the most annoying faction to face for the majority of players, but that doesn't automatically make it easier and better than the rest.

I have said this before, but I think it is relevant to repeat. Although NG is only my 3rd favorite faction to play (behind SK and MO), it is by far my favorite to play against. I think there are several reasons for this:
  • Playing NG usually requires a heavier level of long term strategy (as opposed to short term tactics) than other factions.
  • NG, played well, is usually fresher. Card order is not totally preset, but actually reacts to how I play.
  • Although there are exceptions (Tibor Practitioner spam for example), NG feels far less binary than most factions and is rarely broken unless I play something broken against it.
  • NG decks seem to have greater variety (at least in the unranked matches I tend to play).
  • Because NG usually relies neither upon point spam nor board wipe, I find it more interactive than other factions most of the time. I am rarely left with the discouragement that there was nothing I could have done to alter the match.
Mine my not be the typical reaction to NG, but I also appreciate how it keeps many of the excesses of other factions in check. I would find Gwent far less pleasant without it.

Top Bottom