Patch Notes 8.0

+

Mi_V

Forum regular
The new NG card: Viper Witcher Mentor is very easy to brick in R3, and it doesn't synergy with Joachim.

Viper Witcher Mentor: Set power of this card to match provision cost of top card.

Joachim: Play the top non-Disloyal unit from your deck and boost it by 8. ---> play a card first, boost it after.

If I pull Mentor with Joachim, he doesn't get boosted by Joachim because of the set power keyword.
Mentor only boosted to 6 powers, that means 4 body Joachim disloyal in opponent board, 6 power mentor in my board --> 2 points Joachim play.
Dev please look at this Joachim - Mentor interaction. Thanks.

lmao, those NG buffs are totally out of place, reasoning for Braathens double buff is beyond insane
why the fuck is Haunt nerfed?
still not including pics in patch notes, like how lazy can you be, not even gonna mention the total unclarity of the fonts used

lmao, those NG buffs are totally out of place, reasoning for Braathens double buff is beyond insane
why the fuck is Haunt nerfed?
still not including pics in patch notes, like how lazy can you be, not even gonna mention the total unclarity of the fonts used
Maybe because it was ridiculously cheap for 13? Monsters have been very strong the past months, the slight nerf is more than justified.

DRK3

Forum veteran
The new NG card: Viper Witcher Mentor is very easy to brick in R3, and it doesn't synergy with Joachim.

Viper Witcher Mentor: Set power of this card to match provision cost of top card.

Joachim: Play the top non-Disloyal unit from your deck and boost it by 8. ---> play a card first, boost it after.

If I pull Mentor with Joachim, he doesn't get boosted by Joachim because of the set power keyword.
Mentor only boosted to 6 powers, that means 4 body Joachim disloyal in opponent board, 6 power mentor in my board --> 2 points Joachim play.
Dev please look at this Joachim - Mentor interaction. Thanks.

No, its not easy to brick Viper Witcher Mentor on R3, its easily one of the best new bronzes. You can set it with either Warrit or NG location card's order ability, then you reliably get 10-13 pts out of a bronze.

I can see how it loses value if picked by Joachim, but its a small downside and not very likely, also you wouldnt want the Joachim boost on an already big unit.

Mi_V

Forum regular
No, its not easy to brick Viper Witcher Mentor on R3, its easily one of the best new bronzes. You can set it with either Warrit or NG location card's order ability, then you reliably get 10-13 pts out of a bronze.

I can see how it loses value if picked by Joachim, but its a small downside and not very likely, also you wouldnt want the Joachim boost on an already big unit.
I play assimilate NG and sometimes you play first in r3 but your hand is awkward - full of tactic special card and spies with no enemy unit to copy. So I open with Joachim to pull assimilate units out of my deck, but he accidently pull Mentor. Joachim also helps my engines out of removal range, so they can stick on the board.

Besides that, after drawing card and mulligan each round, tutor and thinning, the chance opponent still has good cards in his deck in r3 is very slim. So I often play Mentor for 6, 7 power, not worth for 6 provisions card. In my experience Warrit and Mentor should be played in r1 or r2 when opponent still has good cards in his deck. That's why I said Mentor in r3 is very easy to brick. And if you use NG location to bring good opponent card from graveyard back to the top of his deck, then it's a very risky move because opponent often saves tutor such as oneiromancy as the last card.

Last edited:
Oh also noticed a small typo on the 5 Provision Skellige Unit "Bear Witcher Quartermaster" it's missing its first "r" in Quartermaster

Oh also noticed a small typo on the 5 Provision Skellige Unit "Bear Witcher Quartermaster" it's missing its first "r" in Quartermaster
Yeah, I also noticed that. Never got around to reporting it myself, but you can do so here (change to iOS/Android if not on PC).

DRK3

Forum veteran
I play assimilate NG and sometimes you play first in r3 but your hand is awkward - full of tactic special card and spies with no enemy unit to copy. So I open with Joachim to pull assimilate units out of my deck, but he accidently pull Mentor. Joachim also helps my engines out of removal range, so they can stick on the board.

Besides that, after drawing card and mulligan each round, tutor and thinning, the chance opponent still has good cards in his deck in r3 is very slim. So I often play Mentor for 6, 7 power, not worth for 6 provisions card. In my experience Warrit and Mentor should be played in r1 or r2 when opponent still has good cards in his deck. That's why I said Mentor in r3 is very easy to brick. And if you use NG location to bring good opponent card from graveyard back to the top of his deck, then it's a very risky move because opponent often saves tutor such as oneiromancy as the last card.

You must have had tremendous bad luck, if on R3 your opponent has managed to have played or in hand everything of his deck above 6 provisions, i admit i havent played with mentors much, but even on R3, i got 10pts of value with them, even with tutors and thinning, most players usually miss at least one of their expensive cards every match.

DRK3

Forum veteran
So it was in this topic that someone said viper witcher mentor is hard to use/not that good, to which i argued that is not the case.

Today i finally got to do a full-on viper witcher mentor deck (and snowdrop too, it helps to get all the cards you need in R3). For those who know my deckbuilding style, this is not strange, i love doing decks around a single bronze card.

And i will say now: Viper Witcher Mentor is easily one of the 3 best bronzes with this expansion, maybe even the best.

Best VWMentor Value Ever (clogged his board too).jpg

Sure, in this case i was very lucky that he missed his Oneiro the entire match and was able to capitalize on it.
I was also smart enough to wait until he played his Eleyas before i put a 1pt VWMentor on his side of the board (with Operator).

My opponent could actually have stopped my strategy, if he had killed the VWMentor i put there with rebuke, but he just used it for regular damage.
Also, my last play was cantarella, into his oneiro that i put there, into my informant, so i put 2 units on his side and he couldnt play his Gord, so i didnt even play my Yen Invo and won.

DRK3

Forum veteran
This is the keyword. You need to be like that. My Mentors usually play 4-5 for 6.

Not really - i forgot to say this, ill say it now:

I obviously posted the screenshots of the match where i got the best result.
However, i did play 4/5 more matches and they never failed to get me good value, 7 was the least.

Maybe its just because im focusing on them, using NG location and Warrit to make them get good value, and im not using Kolgrim because he can be amazing 30pts value, but then he gets tall removed most likely, so i would rather have 2-3 big VWMentors as my finishing plays.

Top Bottom