Patch notes 8.1

+
Yeah, I only agree with what you said about Viy, and I completely agree on that. As for ST movement, this can be nerfed and readjusted slightly and it would be good, for example the damn Cat Witcher shouldn't have those insane 2 dmg per turn on adrenaline 4, instead reducing it to Adrenaline 1 would be okay, anything more then that is stupid. Also Malena (who I made a thread about) should be nerfed so she's not so crazy with moving ANY unit EVERY TURN including the zeal which makes her beyond insane imo. Geaten+Sentry+CatMentor is super good too, this too could be slightly nerfed and that's already pretty good. For Gezras, they could make his ability Order+Zeal so this way at least you have to click on him to get the effect and you can't just throw him down and pass while he continues to do his crazy shit.
As for NG anti-mill with Kolgrim, well that's the only NG archetype I am not scared to play against. :p
All in all I like this expansion better then Master Mirror.

Yeah, I only agree with what you said about Viy, and I completely agree on that. As for ST movement, this can be nerfed and readjusted slightly and it would be good, for example the damn Cat Witcher shouldn't have those insane 2 dmg per turn on adrenaline 4, instead reducing it to Adrenaline 1 would be okay, anything more then that is stupid. Also Malena (who I made a thread about) should be nerfed so she's not so crazy with moving ANY unit EVERY TURN including the zeal which makes her beyond insane imo. Geaten+Sentry+CatMentor is super good too, this too could be slightly nerfed and that's already pretty good. For Gezras, they could make his ability Order+Zeal so this way at least you have to click on him to get the effect and you can't just throw him down and pass while he continues to do his crazy shit.
As for NG anti-mill with Kolgrim, well that's the only NG archetype I am not scared to play against. :p
All in all I like this expansion better then Master Mirror.

I fully disagree with regard to Malena. It's a perfectly well designed card, with an annoying hability, it's true, but it's also very easy to kill due to her 4 body points. Zeal it's just right in this case, because normally she doens't survive more than 1 turn. It's not Malena who make you lose a game.

I have not played a single game with Viy last month but since CDPR delayed the next patch I thought this was a sign and gave it a try...

Well, it is the pinnacle of what's wrong with Gwent these days - lack of balance, OP cards, amount of tutors... But even then, Viy deck is something else entirely. I think it is the only deck that you can play without even looking what your opponent is playing.

I fully disagree with regard to Malena. It's a perfectly well designed card, with an annoying hability, it's true, but it's also very easy to kill due to her 4 body points. Zeal it's just right in this case, because normally she doens't survive more than 1 turn. It's not Malena who make you lose a game.
No.
Let's see what we can compare her with...
Gremist, 7 provision card (1 more then Malena): Imagine if this guy wasn't row locked and if his purifies weren't dependent on you using Alchemy cards to re-enable them! Okay now purify isn't the same as moving a card, yes, they're both situational except in this case movement of cards is wayy more useful then purifies.
Caretaker, 9 provisions: Okay again with the purify, sure he has 3 more power but that's not what he's there for, his effect is limited to every 2nd of your turn instead of every turn to be used. - and he just purifies, a far weaker effect then moving.

- Why are their effects limited so much while her's is (completely unleashed!) not? Is it cause of the slightly higher power? lol that's not what they're there for, they're not power slam cards. If that's the case then PLEASE BY ALL MEANS give Malena 2 more points then increase her provisions to 8 then limit her effect in the same way Caretakers is limited to only every 2nd turn, see how you like it then when it's in line with other cards.

Sure now movement on it's own doesn't give points aye (neither does purify)? Well think again! You move Damien into ranger row and BAM now NG can't re-enable his leader! How many points did this one single bloody move just get you??? 10? 15? 20?
Move Cahir to ranged row and BOOM you denied him like possible 20 points.
Move a defender to allow you to kill a high prioirity target like Malena - How many points did the movement give you now? Well it depends on what kind of a deploy Siyana would have doubled.
Black Rayla (and any other factional 8 prov row locked cards) can do 2 dmg per turn, move her back and BAM over 4 turns u just got 8 points and possible removal.
Move defender to whack Visigota, move Visigota to front row, bam how many points did this give you over 3 enemy turns? - Lots.
She doesn't need to live long to make her very expensive to the enemy.
The SY card that gives you 3 coins per turn (row locked)? - denied. :)
Oriana - an already powercrept card that takes a lot of setup to get decent worth from her? - MOVED TO FRONT ROW, LOL!

Sure these are all high-priority cards BUT they cost more provisions to make up for that, while Malena is dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Just because you decided that Malena is op it's not enough reason to treat who they use it as dishonored players. You can see the the thread you've opened to see a lot people didn't agree with you.
You cannot base your argument comparing cards that hasn't anything in common besides having an order action and without considering the factions where they belong.
Malena is a good card because it's balanced between her hability and her body points. The only way she has a chance to survive if being with a defender, but that can be saying about countless cards so... it's not valid. Kill the defender and Malena will be a cookie waiting to be eaten. If you know Malena could be in the deck so you have to choose when you will use your kill cards and select the right objectives.

No.
Let's see what we can compare her with...
Gremist, 7 provision card (1 more then Malena): Imagine if this guy wasn't row locked and if his purifies weren't dependent on you using Alchemy cards to re-enable them! Okay now purify isn't the same as moving a card, yes, they're both situational except in this case movement of cards is wayy more useful then purifies.
Caretaker, 9 provisions: Okay again with the purify, sure he has 3 more power but that's not what he's there for, his effect is limited to every 2nd of your turn instead of every turn to be used. - and he just purifies, a far weaker effect then moving.

- Why are their effects limited so much while her's is (completely unleashed!) not? Is it cause of the slightly higher power? lol that's not what they're there for, they're not power slam cards. If that's the case then PLEASE BY ALL MEANS give Malena 2 more points then increase her provisions to 8 then limit her effect in the same way Caretakers is limited to only every 2nd turn, see how you like it then when it's in line with other cards.

Sure now movement on it's own doesn't give points aye (neither does purify)? Well think again! You move Damien into ranger row and BAM now NG can't re-enable his leader! How many points did this one single bloody move just get you??? 10? 15? 20?
Move Cahir to ranged row and BOOM you denied him like possible 20 points.
Move a defender to allow you to kill a high prioirity target like Malena - How many points did the movement give you now? Well it depends on what kind of a deploy Siyana would have doubled.
Black Rayla (and any other factional 8 prov row locked cards) can do 2 dmg per turn, move her back and BAM over 4 turns u just got 8 points and possible removal.
Move defender to whack Visigota, move Visigota to front row, bam how many points did this give you over 3 enemy turns? - Lots.
She doesn't need to live long to make her very expensive to the enemy.
The SY card that gives you 3 coins per turn (row locked)? - denied. :)
Oriana - an already powercrept card that takes a lot of setup to get decent worth from her? - MOVED TO FRONT ROW, LOL!

Sure these are all high-priority cards BUT they cost more provisions to make up for that, while Malena is dirt cheap.

I am with you. SC moving archetype needs a small nerf and Malena is the appropriate target. Would alter her as follows:

Malena (Power 4, Provisions 7):
Order: Move a unit to the other row.
Refresh the ability whenever an allied unit is moving.

Have you not been around for the last expansions ?
Full archetype decks have been around for a long time and especially since the last expansion with highly synergistic archetypes such as SK Warriors.
Losely connected decks (at best including packages) have been around and were (in my opinion) the worst period Gwent saw in early homecoming.

This might be the only point I found in your post, which I agree with, the reason Viy decks being the way they currently are is because of the scaling they introduce, the next tutor is always better than the last and thus (once you have started including them) outmuscle all other options one could pick instead, by construction not leaving space for alternative routes.

I've been around for quite a while. I see what you mean when you say you think that loosely-synergizing packages were bad, but I don't think you fully understand what I mean. Those are not what I want. I remember a couple years ago when cards didn't really synergize with one another and it didn't feel like it made much difference which ones you put in your deck, once you included the powerful single cards. I am talking about small to medium packages that find use in many decks and can be used to tune decks instead. A good example is the cross synergy between many of NG's bronze packages- status, poison, assimilate and soldiers can be incorporated in different combinations in many interesting decks, and if touched up a bit, probably even more. Playing with the bronze core opens up options in the top and so on...resulting in deck building being an enjoyable experience.

The goal should be to have as many viable (at least somewhat) decks that are not printed whole. And if it ever becomes a common occurance for one deck to forfeit a matchup to another, i.e. to have less than, say, 20% win chance against another deck, then this should raise a huge red flag. Nothing wrong about being countered, but if it makes more sense for you to quit the match than play it through, then the game's not working well.

On your other point, I think the newly printed warriors weren't meant to be a whole deck but a set of tools from which one could pick if one would like to play with SK's signature mechanic- bloodthirst. This failed miserably however, because it is very difficult to damage units when any 3 random bronze units make for a boost fiesta. For this to be fixed, bloodthirst would have to be changed. Anyway, that resulted in sort of hyper control decks that tried and managed to punish the engine-heavy meta, almost completely disregarding bloodthirst. For a few months, then they were gone as well because they couldn't keep up with the new engines. I don't think its sustainable to just print better engines and better removal each expansion. There's no fun that way, at least for me.

Shouldn't we still be transitioning into the next season regardless of whether or not a patch gets implemented? It's looking like Season of the Wolf will only last a couple of weeks, which is less than half the duration of basically every other season. That seems like a pretty big problem that's very easily avoidable.

helloo, wheres the update??? its still not out yet..

Also Malena (who I made a thread about) should be nerfed so she's not so crazy with moving ANY unit EVERY TURN including the zeal which makes her beyond insane imo.

in my game today Malena gets miruna'd haha, and boy was my opponent so pissed off, he killed her for no reason. her 4 points can make it so vulnerable but u have to get her early.

anybody think the coated weapons + viper witcher adr 6 + cynthia is a bit OP? because it literraly disrupt our chances and change our opportunity to get our cards, and they're just 5 provisions? cynthia is a prov 7 which is understandable, then they reduce it this kind of ability to them 5 provisions. The bar for viper witcher is adr 6, which i think should be lower, and coated weapons has 5 damage PLUS literral changes to our fate? wow.. I'm looking at the other special 5 prov cards and theres really nothing has this kind of high value. maybe just lock and reset, but even that is a gold card so you can only have 1.

anyhow, maybe i'm wrong and its balanced, comments welcome. dont get me wrong , i love those cards and ability eventhough i havent played much of nilfgaard.

I also found that its hard to play anything else with viy, and you cant even leave him in the deck for the "just in case i need him while i play other cards" because he's 12 prov so you have to build around him lol. i did it with arachas swarm but even so just barely fit anything else. otherwise its all that-get-him-out cards, thinning and all that jazz.

Last edited:
in my game today Malena gets miruna'd haha, and boy was my opponent so pissed off, he killed her for no reason. her 4 points can make it so vulnerable but u have to get her early.
He didn't kill her for no reason lol. You could have moved his sentry to front row thus denying him a pretty hefty amount of points for example, many other potential uses too...

Yeah... you either go All-In on the braindead Viy deck in which case it's getting insane points and everyone hates you, OR it's a just a waste. Not much flexibility there.

For some reason other players' avatars and nicks started being visible from the start of the game in pro rank since a few hours ago

Top Bottom