Patch Topic.

+
If those are the real patch notes, then for the most part I'm happy. There are a few re-balance items I disagree with, but that's to be expected - you can't please everyone all of the time, and there are many more that I'm very relieved to see. Clear Skies, in particular.

Some nice changes here.
I generally like the change to Monster ability, the change to Eredin's ability is interesting and bears some playtesting. Silver hurts but I like more Wild Hunt synergy.
Treb change is good imo.Removing the self buff + reducing damage to 1 lowers the overall threat quite abit and makes the card much less frustrating to play against. Passing early against NR still is a death sentence though.
Shieldsmith nerf hurts but was prob needed in the long run
Nerf to chain rezzing medics/freyas is good. It always seemed a little silly to me.

Some good changes ! We'll see how it goes from there. Shieldsmith having less power hurts a bit but I can see why a change is necessary here! The medic category is a very good thing.

Assuming those notes are legitimate:
  • Monster faction ability change didn't tackle the right issue, IMO. The RNG is more of problem (as it doesn't synergize at all with breeder and weather decks). Though I do understand that Eredin/Geralt + Ciri + Pass was very oppressive against players without decent decks. Neutral on this and Eredin changes.
  • Clear Skies / end of round strength fix is welcomed.
  • Philippa was largely neutered but she still has value in meta games where buffing a single unit / row occurs.
  • Ice Giant fix is another prudent weather mechanic adjustment.
  • Reinforced Trebuchet is less oppressive. It's still probably the best bronze NR unit to Adrenaline Rush though. It might fall out of use in non-Foltest decks.
  • Shieldsmith nerf seems like mild overkill with the medic changes but I recognize that he generated significantly above average value when played in round 1.
  • Sarah nerf is whatever. Still a nice staple in weather decks though I would've liked a +1 to base strength to compensate.
  • Nature's Gift nerf is whatever. We only have one gold spell at the moment but I do see that the ability to replay Gold spells could limit design space in the future.
  • Medic changes are nice. Hurts that value engine somewhat.
  • Queensguard change makes Cerys more viable. Time to get brewing for that!
  • Elven Mercenary nerf is whatever. We only have one gold spell at the moment but I do see that the ability to replay Gold spells could limit design space in the future.
  • Priscilla is finally in line with other NR silver cards. Also, the graphical bugs she caused were annoying.
  • Regis got wrecked. He was above average for gold cards though, especially in NR.
  • Dimeritium Bomb change makes it more of a staple than ever before. It is an auto-include for every deck that doesn't rely on buffing.
  • Redanian Elite change is a bugfix. Ok.
  • Sigrdrifa change is whatever. Still one of the best Skellige silvers.
  • Restoration change is nice compensation for the medic nerf. There are still plenty of Silver card space issues in Skellige discard decks, however. Not necessarily a bad thing though.
  • Draug change is whatever.
  • Fireball Trap is now a minimum of 6 net strength, which is still bad. Dol Blathanna Trapper is wholly superior as neophyte decks are completely nonviable at the moment.
  • An Craite Raiders change is welcomed for some discard deck builds.
  • Card to hand change is welcomed. Decoy + Hawker Support and Timer units was very counter-intuitive.
  • Tribal changes (dragons, elves, etc.) are nice for future support or hate cards.
  • Ambush cards are still largely garbage outside of the silver options. Having weather impact them makes sense but doesn't help that situation much.
  • Ocvist change is whatever. Still largely unplayable outside of highly aggressive decks.
  • Borkh change is ????. Can he scorch himself now? Or are we talking about NR depromoting him? Makes sense if the latter.
  • Morkvarg still wastes valuable silver space in Skellige decks that can't buff original strength as much anymore.
  • Hawker Support changes make sense. How spells worked with them was very counter-intuitive for newer players.
  • Roach fix is nice. Igni fix is nice. Toruviel fix is nice. Priscilla fix is nice.
  • Weather icon sounds good!
  • Bugfixes are good!
  • More polish is good!

Solid patch that neutered cheaper NR decks in the process.

Rise of the squirrels !

I like a few changes, dislike others. Especially the instapass of monster users after playing eredin+(geralt,ciri, whatever) is gone now.

Interesting patch notes. I'm just going to leave my thoughts on those that stand out to me the most.

"Changed the rarity of Legendary leaders to Epic."

Great change, easier access to different leaders will encourage more variety in decks and playstyles.

"Monster faction ability no longer keeps Gold units on the battlefield."
"Unit version of Eredin now Silver and immune to Frost."

I honestly believe this was unnecessary. I play Skellige as my main faction, Monsters and NR on the side, and I've never been in a situation where the Monsters passive seemed unfair to me. The Eredin/Geralt or Eredin/Ciri or Geralt/Ciri strategies all but disappeared two weeks into the beta, when the other factions found out they can make use of the early pass and set themselves up for the next round.

"Clear Skies now only resets red (weakened) strength values."
"When Weather is removed at the end of a round, only red strength values are reset."

That's a substantial buff to Clear Skies. I'm okay with it. Fully equipped Monster Weather decks can still ruin your day if you don't draw exactly the right cards. This buff should make dealing with those a bit easier.

"Philippa no longer affects Gold cards."
"Philippa strength increased from 6 to 12."

A nerf was definitely needed here, but I fear doubling her strength as well as removing her ability to affect gold cards might be a bit much. That remains to be seen and tested, however.

"Reinforced Trebuchet strength increased from 4 to 5."
"Reinforced Trebuchet damage decreased from 2 to 1."
"Reinforced Trebuchets no longer buff each other."

Good change. They'll still be able to annoy the opponent to no end, but 4 instead of 8 damage per round from a full ensemble of trebuchets sounds much more reasonable.

"Tordarroch Shieldsmith strength increased from 3 to 4."
"Tordarroch Shieldsmith buff decreased from 4 to 2."
"Added a new "Medic" category."
"Priestess of Freya cannot resurrect cards with the "Medic" category."
"Field Medic cannot resurrect cards with the "Medic" category."
"Sigrdrifa strength increased from 1 to 2."
"Restoration now grants a +2 buff to the base strength of the resurrected unit."

I'm definitely biased here, but I think either the Shieldsmith or the Medic nerf would have been enough for now. If I understand the patch notes correctly, Sigrdrifa and Restoration can still resurrect a Priestess Of Freya though (same with Shani/Nenneke/Lubberkin and Field Medics on NR's side), so the chain isn't broken completely. Needs playtesting.

"Priscilla now draws 2 revealed cards, player chooses which one to play."

Good change. Priscilla's value for being an epic silver card was disproportionally high in most cases.

"Dimeritium Bomb now resets Gold unit strength."

This is huge. I can hear Northern Realms and Madman Lugos crying in the distance. Which sucks, because Lugos is in my deck. It's kind of a solution to the Adrenaline Rush + Promote combo, but I would have preferred bre3zer's suggestion from another thread, turning a card silver when using AR on it and making Promote target bronze cards only. Would have been a more elegant solution in my opinion, as this one puts Madman Lugos at a severe risk and makes Dimeritium Bomb maybe the single most valuable card in the game.

"Hawker support ability now works correctly with cards such as Lacerate."

I'm assuming "works correctly" means it'll get removed if targeted by Lacerate while at 2 strength. Which is the way it should work as I see it. If that's the case, good change.

I'm feeling mostly positive about the patch notes, all in all. A lot of the changes seem very reasonable, though a few like Philippa, Monsters passive and Skellige resurrection appear to have gotten hit a bit too hard at first glance. All of this is pure conjecture, of course, which is why I can't wait for the patch to be deployed so I can see for myself. :)

I am sorry CD Projekt....i said things about inbalance and stuff but you guys working really hard to patch everything. Never lose trust in you again! Gonna keep give you feed backs so gwent gonna be awnsome when it released

The medic and priest changes are great. Chain rezzing was just a pain, even if I run a medic deck myself. D-bomb is now a must in all decks (if it wasn't before) However, let me talk about two of the big ones:

-Monster Passive: Yay, no more round 1 Ciri + Geralt/Eredin pass! Only issue, it didn't fix the problem I have with the passive, and that is the RNG aspect of it. That aspect of the passive can either win you the game or make you lose, and it doesn't work well with most monster strategies (Flooding the board with low strength creatures) I feel they should just come up with something else, or change it something like "keep a unit the highest base strength, reset it to it's original strength.

-Philippa + D-bomb: So, Phil has been blatently overnerfed and isn't the counter to Adrenaline Rush + Promote anymore. For that, we got D-bomb, which is now even more a card that you NEED to run in every deck. Because of this, Phil is just too much of a risk and it wouldn't surprise me if we will never see her being played anymore. I get the feeling that CDPR just wants to see what the game will be like without her being used and possibly change her down the path to something else. Also, holy shit does D-bomb counter NR hard now, not just with the promote, but any deck that utilizes the passive. Not sure how I feel about that.

Leader's change is both smart, good for the game, and well handled. /clap on this one, no one can say anything to that.

Philippa's change is smart and completely fair. Basically for cards played on the opposite side, the stronger the effect dealt the higher the strength. Kambi wipes out both sides rather than one, doesn't touch the gold card, activates after 3 turn and gives 15 (19 if opponent is NR) str to the opponent. Phillipa in comparison doesn't kill, but still makes everything to one and only a dirimethium bomb can reverse it, doesn't hurt your side, hits the golds just the same, and only gives 6? That's completely unbalanced str wise. Phillipa usually wipes out dozen and dozen of str value from the board when she's played last turn. Compare that to the 12 she gives, that's still a laughable consolation gift to the future loser of this game. The no longer affect gold card is also perfectly fair. A single gold card shouldn't be able to almost kill a whole row of gold like it's nothing.
Single target damage gold card being able to damage gold is fair, but AoE damage gold are not. Igni, Kambi, Villentretenmerth, they aren't effecting gold either.

"monster faction ability no longer keeps gold unit"
-> RIP the Frigtener/special type deck that clearly relied on that (and while an interesting idea from players, that was a damn anooying way to play tbh).
->Since this goes along with Leader cards being made Epic, we should quickly see far more Ge'els for Breeders and more Dagon for weather deck, so that's cool. But since Monster players playing two gold cards and passing were easy pray for skellige, so the fact that more monster players may extend the first round is bad news in reverse lol.
Although, unit version of Eredin is silver, so that card can still be passed on while Geralt cannot. Geralt/ciri is no longer as strong now. Eredin can be more easily wounded so that's that. I'm sure scoiatel will especially happily nuke him with archers if players try to do the quick pass with him on first turn.

Nice fix for clear sky, the current way it worked was weird and sometimes frustrating.

Wow they, they nerfed the core unit of pretty much any Skellige deck. Without especially buffing anything else there but Cerys (which is legendary and I don't have it :x) and the commonly used dimeritium bomb.
In one way that makes them less essential so increase the variety of deck, but if Skellige's remaining units aren't buffed, that ain't be a happy choice between losing with shieldsmith and priestess or losing without them.

They also nerfed Regis, which I... happened to have found in a keg and was happily playing him until I can get my hand on Lugos (which is legendary as well). That nerf may have been justified (although it seems a bit harsh), but as a skellige player using him, that hurts.

They fixed An craite raider not properly working with the rest of the discard oriented units, which is cool. Honestly I didn't even see a point in that unit as it was.
They fixed Morkvag not behaving properly when discarded (contrary to Olgierd), which is cool as well.

They buffed Roach for NR, which is honestly very very scary.
Toruviel's fix was to be expected but still cool to get.

Restoration's buff is just compensating for Siegrdrifa's nerf (as the chain rez not being possible nerf her passive and therefore her potential value EVEN if having one more point), and that's if you're playing with both among your silver cards. Lucky me, I don't, I just play with the one that was nerfed /cry.

Btw a few things about the nerf for the skellige core units :

nerfing che chain rez also nerfed the skald (since there's no longer as many units at all on the siege row in the last turn), that's a unit that I was using in combination with the chain rez as a nice final push in strength, and that you hardly see played by other Skellige players (As far as i've seen). I don't know if I'll keep him after the patch.

Nerfing the shieldsmith do not simply nerf their impact on the last turn (which seems to be the main target here). Since they only got one point more as base strength but lost two on their buff, this is a nerf to Skellige in the first round. This is eeeextremely problematic, as Skellige is as its weakest on the first round, and that just made things even worse. That also nerf them on the second turn, which wasn't especially unbalanced in our favor.

This also made the two silvers that were relying on multiple shieldsmith's buff (Morkvarg/Olgierd) as they were losing strength from dying rather than gaining strength from the grave (Skirmisher) far less reliable in strength value. Skirmisher are extremely vulnerable against monster running with griffins, so that's not cool.

I'm seriously wondering if in their stats right now Skellige is reaching so high strength per round that it needs to be toned down. Because it's not my personally impression at all, we usually don't reach crazy strength even when we win. Above 100 was possible yes, but no that higher.

Seriously, that double nerf has far more consequences than on the units themselves.

Last edited:
LordOcampo;n6974900 said:
Nerf Regis? Ok, I understand making him a Silver, but lowering his strenght on top of it?

Is the Regis change really a nerf though? If I read that correctly, only the Higher Vampire side is Silver, which means you can lock in a guaranteed 8 for the next round, and that 8 can now be buffed. Maybe the STR drop is a slight nerf, but the silver change will probably be an improvement. After all, you can only have so many scorches (Scorch, Igni and maybe a lucky third with Johnny).

Looking forward to figuring out some new decks again guys! Well done CDPR, some I don't agree with but obviously it's about balance and tweaking them as we go along. Good stuff.

Treamayne
regis' second form served as a guaranteed roach autosummon.
I hope they did fix the bug with demoted regis' first form not showing up in your graveyard for resurrection.

Treamayne;n6976270 said:
Is the Regis change really a nerf though? If I read that correctly, only the Higher Vampire side is Silver, which means you can lock in a guaranteed 8 for the next round, and that 8 can now be buffed. Maybe the STR drop is a slight nerf, but the silver change will probably be an improvement. After all, you can only have so many scorches (Scorch, Igni and maybe a lucky third with Johnny).
Except if the silver version is immune to frost like the change with Eredin, then yes, it is a huge nerf. That's just one more non-reliable melee row asset. When there's no frost, I don't really need a 8 point silver card most of the time, and when there is, it's useless.
Regis will probably exit my deck after the patch, simply because I definitely do not need more frost-vulnerable units when i'm trying to limit their number. Especially not with Dagon becoming Epic quality at the exact same time the eredin+monster passive cheese been nerfed >_<.
I have no doubt he's still very useful, but he's not reliable. 6str with no ability o nthe round you play him is very low for a gold card, and on the second he's vulnerable to frost and post-nerf philippa. I'm sure I can get more reliable gold card. Cerys for example has the same kind of mechanism gold-> silver but has more strength on both play both when there 's frost and where there's not. Too bad I don't have her and she's legendary, oh well.

I think this was an important patch for the community, we've given CDPR lots of feedback, how well would they listen? Turns out, pretty well. For the most part.

The good:
  1. Leaders
  2. Clear Skies
  3. Rez Chains
  4. Queensguard
  5. Priscilla
  6. D-Bomb (possibly too powerful).
  7. Saskia (dragon synergy decks in the future are very exciting)
  8. Morkvarg
  9. Supports
  10. Toruviel (Also Ciaran I hope? Or not?)
The bad:
  1. ​Monster passive, I explain my thoughts here = http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...-the-wrong-one
  2. Philippa (I wanted a nerf but this was far too much, I think she's unplayable now)
  3. Regis (Too low impact now, only playable in Monsters)
The ugly:
  1. Trebs (Combined with the medic changes, Philippa, Priscilla and d-bomb, too many changes in one patch. Too hard to evaluate)
  2. Shieldsmiths (Same as above, although I think this change probably was needed to avoid Cerys going over the top)
  3. Draug (Already a pretty niche gold card, I'm not sure why he couldn't be a counter to Kambi)
We'll see how wrong or right my initials impressions are but I think this is a good start by CDPR.

Last edited:
The shieldsmith change is devastating. They fixed morkvarg, but considering the shieldsmith change, i'm not sure he's still worth playing. He won't even raise enough his strength to be an efficient lightning rod for scorch, is still completely countered by frost, and will require one shieldsmith buff pert turn just to... keep it at the same strength on the next turn. And one more everytimes he gets killed (which is quite easy considering his starting strength).
So to keep morkvarg at a laughable 5 strength in the 3rd round, you already need 2 smith, and if he got killed once you even need 3. Then, if you got all smith on the first round and had the time to use them all, and had 3 rez on the second round and had the time to use them all, he will enter the 3rd round with... 13str if never killed that's with a full use of SIX smith buff, mind you, so an almost perfect situation with your cards (only thing that could make it better would be if one of the smith was killed in the first or second round and that you used a 4th rez for it).
13str with the use of SIX TURNS/CARDS to support him and if not killed in between. 11 if killed once, 9 if killed twice. 2 strength bonus per unit above 6 in a above perfect scenario where everything went the way you want. BTW currently that combination of 7 cards was bringing (accross the 3 rounds, assuming you did a perfect Morkvarg+3 shieldsmith first round then morkvarg + 3 rez->shieldsmith on the second round) was bringing to the melee row the base strength of 17-(end of first turn)+27(end of second turn)+25 (beginning of third round)= 69 strength, so an average of... 10 strength per unit used (it brought some to the siege row as well, 9 on the first turn, 18 on the second, so the grand total is 69+27=96 so almost 14 per card, 10 on the melee and a bit less than 4 on the siege row). Seems pretty solid, a very valid tactic; but that's a 7 card combo going smoothly with no one hindering it (no weather from start to finish, no lacerate, no scorch, no early kill of Morkvarg). a 7 card combo on the NR side that goes unhindered can easily reach far more than one hundred. Very, very easily.

But anyway, what about next patch? that's 11+15+13=39 on the melee and on the siege row it's 6 more than before so it's 33 now. 39+33 =72. So 72 points gained from a 7 card combo unhindered. 10 points value per card. ANd that's without talking about the unability to rez 2 of those priestess used on the second round, which is -4 angain, or -8 if you used a skall on the final siege row. I'm not talking about a horn either, that could multiply the loss on one of the turn by two.

Same goes for the cheaper neutral option Olgierd. He's one strength more so just add one above, and that guy isn't even a scorch lightning rod anyway. Honestly, I saw the way NR uses it in combo with Roach (buffing+ promote then buff+ promote roach, so that he calls automatically Roach at every round even if you don't have any gold card/promote remaining). And i can't help but think that he makes a far better NR card than a Skellige card after this patch, especially if what is said about the D-bomb post patch is true.

Speaking of which, I'll ask the question here as well :
-----------------------
Can someone confirm me with an official source that the change to how dimeritium bomb affect buffed units promoted to gold is :
-only removing the +2 buff from the NR passive
-removing both that buff and the str that unit received from buffs before being promoted.

I see Yenni above being quite sure of himself, and he seems very knowledgeable about the game, but is that really the change here? Does it means that the "I'm NR so I like to play alone, please pass I'll present you with the final product and then watch you play alone against it" completely anti multiplayer behaviour is in line with the game design ?
That's what make me doubting it, because I have a hard time thinking it is especially since I saw a dev saying that next patch would get anti promote counter. In this patch note, if that dimeritium bomb change isn't the so-called "promote counter" then I don't see it.
-----------------------
^because if that's true, that almost feels like a bigger nerf to skellige (Lugos and Hjalmar) golds than to NR. Almost.

But back to what I was saying, this also nerf the use of weather resistant units buffed by shieldsmith and brought back to later round in order to counter heavy use of frost. This tactic will feel reaaaally underwhelming now... And so is the idea of buffing the 3 queensguard. Although, it's still a good addition. As long as there's no frost, I mean. And no Phillipa, as usual.

I suppose rezing the skirmisher is still doable since they get +4 in rez (that's now equivalent to 2 shieldsmith buff lol...), so buffing with shieldsmith the skirmisher is still viable (but we're not rezing it due to the shieldsmith buff , it's just a nice little add to it),although less strong. And still awfully vulnerable to Griffin and caretaker, as well as to a lesser degree, ghouls and Uldaryk. And Philippa. Always Philippa.

And all of this is going together with a nerf of chain rez, which nerf the priestess of Freiya, but also indirectly the Restauration card, Siegrdrifa, the skald ( 2 less unit on the siege row =4 less strength brought by it), a buff to d-bomb that will make more peoples use it meaning that the two units that buff themselves (axeman and pirate captain) will get even more of a hard time keeping their buff all across the decisive round (and still killed in one hit by pretty much any mosquito bite). I suppose wounding Skellige will still be able to fight, due to the good amount of synergies (Many thanks to the savage bear, and Harald becoming cheaper to buy) I'm looking at the whole Skellige roster and I don't know how I could win anything next patch with a Skellige Rez/discard type of deck, except if matched with player with far cheaper decks and lower experience than right now.

Last edited:
Overall (except Phillipa overnerf, despite the fact that i don't have her) i like the patch notes. Especially "The A.I. has been improved and should provide more of a challenge". For those times like Sunday when worthy opponents were pretty hard to find.

I said somewhere that I liked the treb nerf... until I saw that in addition to buff removal, the damage output was halved as well. Eh. Another floater (=dead card)?

It's a weaker foglet now in terms of strength balance, just that you remove strength on the other side. But now a folget grows faster than a treb deals damage. 1 damage every 2 turns? That's nothing. Many people said the buff removal would be sufficient, and I agree. Meh.

A different way to look at it: after playing the trebuchet the round needs to last EIGHT (no sorry SIX due to 5 STR) turns for it to have the same value as redanian cavalry. ^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom