PBEM Campaign - Suhiira - Characters and Discussion

+
They would add to your defense rolls tho.
That might be a facet I'm misunderstanding then. Are the Dodge & Escape uses described by the martial arts skill different than the uses of the base Dodge & Escape skills?

FNFF states that a melee attacks accuracy is measured by Attackers REF + Skill +1d10 vs Defenders REF + Skill* + 1d10 and notes that the defender's skill used could be Martial Arts, Fencing, Melee, Dodge or Athletics depending on situation and Referee decision. I figured I'd be using my martial arts skill for defense in this case, but if that's not the case I can certainly put points back into Dodge.

If Martial arts is not the skill used on defense, would the dodge benefit provided by the martial art only be applied when specifically taking the "dodge" action then?

Last edited:
That might be a facet I'm misunderstanding then. Are the Dodge & Escape uses described by the martial arts skill different than the uses of the base Dodge & Escape skills?

FNFF states that a melee attacks accuracy is measured by Attackers REF + Skill +1d10 vs Defenders REF + Skill* + 1d10 and notes that the defender's skill used could be Martial Arts, Fencing, Melee, Dodge or Athletics depending on situation and Referee decision. I figured I'd be using my martial arts skill for defense in this case, but if that's not the case I can certainly put points back into Dodge.

If Martial arts is not the skill used on defense, would the dodge benefit provided by the martial art only be applied when specifically taking the "dodge" action then?
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Martial Arts certainly applies to any/all unarmed/melee combat, but isn't relevant if you're trying to dodge out of the AoE of a hand grenade. That's pure reflexes, unless you've honed those reflexes with a skill (Dodge) specifically focused on improving reaction time.

Similarly Martial Arts has no relevance if you're climbing a wall and lose your grip, that's pure reflexes and Athletics.

Personally I'm not at all fond of the way CP2020 handles MA, it's too complex (with all the specific moves) and is often used as a "catch all" skill making several others unnecessary/pointless.

Last edited:
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Martial Arts certainly applies to any/all unarmed/melee combat, but isn't relevant if you're trying to dodge out of the AoE of a hand grenade. That's pure reflexes, unless you've honed those reflexes with a skill (Dodge) specifically focused on improving reaction time.

Similarly Martial Arts has no relevance if you're climbing a wall and lose your grip, that's pure reflexes and Athletics.

Personally I'm not at all fond of the way CP2020 handles MA, it's too complex (with all the specific moves) and is often used as a "catch all" skill making several others unnecessary/pointless.

Thats fair. I was only considering Dodge as it related to Melee combat, not specifically as it related to avoiding AoEs or other uses. I'll take a longer look and solidify the changes.

Hello there,

I have been reading your story so far and I am very interested in joining in. Right now I have no experience whatsoever in Cyberpunk 2020 role-play, however I have nearly thirty years of other gaming systems and am a fast learner. What role would be the most use for this campaign would you say as I am pretty much interested in all of the classes available that I have read about. Also what is the maximum post size allowance as you said no full page essays (So hard for me not to do such a thing!).

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hello there,

I have been reading your story so far and I am very interested in joining in. Right now I have no experience whatsoever in Cyberpunk 2020 role-play, however I have nearly thirty years of other gaming systems and am a fast learner. What role would be the most use for this campaign would you say as I am pretty much interested in all of the classes available that I have read about. Also what is the maximum post size allowance as you said no full page essays (So hard for me not to do such a thing!).

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Play whatever appeals to you. NPCs (i.e. Gremlin and previously Chita) will fill in the gaps.

Put a character together and post it in this thread, that's what it's for. We'll negotiate and I'll insure it follows "the rules". As I'm sure you've noticed your character can only be "good" at a couple things, choose ones you want to your character to "revolve around". Firearms? Melee? Stealth? B&E? Tech? Street life? Corporate manager?

As to the post size, try to think "conversation" not "novel". Say or do something then allow people to react to it. If you go into a long drawn out situation this means the other players have no input. And it's about the "team", no individual character is any more, or less, important then the others.

As you see by reading what's happened so far people often do something then intentionally pause their actions to allow other players (or your friendly GM) to interject.

Last edited:
Name: Delia Grimsdottier
Handle: Jinx
Role: Techie
Height: 5'6”
Weight: 129lbs
Hair Length and Color: Short Pixie Cut of dirty blonde.
Ethnicity: Norwegian

Stats:

INT: 6
REF: 4
Tech: 6
Cool: 4
ATTR: 4
LUCK: 2
MA: 4
BODY: 4
EMP: 6 - Humanity = EMPx10 = 60 -4.5 (Cyberware) = Humanity 55.5

CAREER SKILLS: 70

JURY RIG: 6
AWARENESS\NOTICE: 1
BASIC TECH: 2
CYBER TECH: 6
TEACHING:0
EDUCATION\GENERAL KNOWLEDGE: 3 (Languages, Norwegian 6 (Freebie), English 4)
ELECTRONICS: 2
GYRO: 0
AREO:0
WEAPONSMITH: 0
ELECTRONIC SECURITY: 0

PICKUP SKILLS: 10
HANDGUNS: 2
Driving: 2
STREETWISE: 4
PICKLOCK: 4

EQUIPMENT:
Basic Toolkit: (500eb)
Electronics Toolkit: (100eb)
B&E Tools: (150eb)
Advanced Alarm Removal Kit: (290eb)
Dai Lung Streetmaster (250eb) +10mm ammunitions (1 boxes of 50) (15eb)

CYBERWARE:
Basic Neural Processor: (1000EB) HC -1
Cyberoptic: (Left Eye) (500eb) (Telescopic) 2.5 - HC (With the Telescopic mod added)
Interface Plug: (200eb) (Left Temple) HC- 1
Total Humanity Loss: 4.5

CLOTHING:
Black Miniskirt (30eb)
Peach Blouse: (15eb)
White Plastic Belt: (10eb)
Black Knee-high Boots: (40eb)
Black Leather Biker Jacket (Medium Armor 60eb)
Jackie-O Sunglasses (20eb)

Pocket Money: 2945eb

LIFEPATH:
Pure Norwegian by birth to a fairly well off family that has now entered into trying times due to corporate backstabbing and maneuvering. Growing up in an Archology she rarely had to deal with the poverty and crime of the megacities down below but now is forced to fend for herself on the ragged streets of Night City. She has one sister who share a mutual hate for one another after being betrayed.

Personality: She is aloof and skittish due to being hunted by corporate assassins for her theft of the advanced war machine and selling to a rival corporation. But if you can manage to earn her trust she is friendly and generous.
Views on other people: When she learned you can't trust family..you really can't trust anyone for the most part.

Age 16: College for gifted youngsters and move to Night City.
Age 17: Enemy: Sister – Stole her Boyfriend – Hatred – Just Herself
Age 18: Enemy: Sister – Betrayed – Hatred – An Entire Corporation
Age 19: Friend: A local Nomad family befriends you – Feelings they are close and allow her to stay with them on occasion.
Age 20: Fast Affairs and Hot Dates.
Age 21: A Powerful Corporate Exec owes you a favor – The Warhound Bot turns out to be sound tech after all.
Age 22: Nothing Happens.
Age 23: Nothing Happens
Age 24: Enemy – A female person you were working with (Talia) injured. - Jury rigged tech scanner explodes in her hand leaving her maimed and disfigured – Feelings Hatred – Resources – A small gang.
Age 25: Fast Affairs and Hot Dates.
Age 26: Nothing Happens.
Age 27: Friend – Local Cop – Fixed his stun baton after it was broke over a ganger's head. - Good for one favor.
Age 28: Nothing Happens.

BACKGROUND: Born to a fairly well off minor corporate family in the Eurozone Archology in Norway, Deila lived away from the poverty of the below world. Growing up she learned at the feet of her father (Grim) in the building and maintaining technical equipment with the hopes that one day she would take his place in the corporation and to that end was sent to one of the premier technical schools in Norway to earn her degree. At the age of 16 the family Corporation was acquired by Militech Mega-corporation and the entire family and main offices were uprooted to the Night City offices. For two years Delia tried to work within the system to make her parent's proud but the constant backstabbing and bickering was taking it's toll on the young lady. The final straw was when her father was ruined by his lab partner while they were working on a prototype Attack dogbot and a fatal fall occurred in it's programming to the loss of a minor executive's son. After the fall of her father she manged to steal the plans for the new war machine and secretly (Or so she thought) sell it to Arsaka out of pure spite. Unfortunately for her she was found out having been betrayed by her sister for a rise up the corporate ladder and she fled into the understreets of Night City where she has been trying to stay one step a head of the Militech hit squads ever since.

Last edited:
Let's see what we have here.

Stats (6+4+6+4+4+2+4+4+6) 40 + Skills (6+4+3+3+12[4 Education has an x3 multiplier]+4+3) 35 = 75 of 70.
Pickups (REF+INT = 10) so (1 [2 Handgun multiplier x0.5]+1[2 Driving multiplier x0.5]+4+2) 8 of 10.

As to specific skill/stat choices ...
You're a decent generalist Tech, you'd be a great assistant to anyone that was actually good (6+) at any tech field (Basic [Mechanical] or Cyber or Electronics or B&E [Electronic Security & Lockpick]) except gunsmithing and aircraft. But as a "stand alone" Tech you don't stand out at all from the crowd.

Since you were born and spent your childhood in Norway that's your native language (and it's not listed) your current 0 in English might be a "bit" of a problem. (Languages have an IP of 1 BTW)

I'd suggest an "Interface Plug" over the "Vehicle Link", bit more expensive in $ and HL but you can plug into anything not just vehicles.

The cost of your equipment+cyberware is 6070, but with Jury Rig 6 you have 6,000 EB to spend. And you really don't need nearly a month's wages as "Pocket Money", but that's up to you.

YEP!
Building a character that's actually "good" at anything is tough!

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I think I have updated it to your recommendations please recheck it at your convenience! I am really looking forward to roleplaying with your group. :) And yes it is quite hard starting out, (Specially when you barely understand the system) :p

One of us has a math problem :eek:

Stats (6+4+6+4+4+2+4+4+6) 40 + Skills (6+3+3+6+9[3 Education has an x3 multiplier]+2+4+4) 37 = 77 of 70. (n)
Pickups (REF+INT = 10) so (1 [2 Handgun multiplier x0.5]+1[2 Driving multiplier x0.5]+4+4) 10 of 10. (y)

Since Norwegian is your native language you get 6 in it as a freebee.
At 2 in English you're perfectly capable of holding a conversation with the average 5-year-old ... adults are a bit more challenging.

Very likely it is I that have the Math Problem, That said...Once more reworked..I think I got it this time..I lowered some stats and got more skills to balance it out. And I even used a Calculator this time. *Beams*

Stats (6+4+6+2+4+2+4+2+6) 36 + Skills (6+2+5+6+9[3 Education has an x3 multiplier]+5+5+4) 42 = 78 of 70. (n)
Pickups (REF+INT = 10) so (1 [2 Handgun multiplier x0.5]+1[2 Driving multiplier x0.5]+4+4) 10 of 10. (y)

Personally (and this is MY opinion not the GMs) I'd trim the skills rather then the stats, since stats effect all skills.
You started with 40 points in stats, leaving 30 for skills. Since 6 is (more-or-less) "professional" level pick 2-3 skills to make 6, this leaves 12-18 points for other skills, pick 2-3 to make 4 (good but not "professional") leaving 0-6 points for other skills you'd like to not be ignorant in.

If you're trying to save a point 4 would be sufficient in English, you'll just have a cute Norwegian accent :love:

Alright, Advice taken and stats returned to 40 points and skills (Hopefully) evened out. And as to having a cute Norwegian accent..Just like real life :p

Well since the wait for Cyberpunk 2077 continues on I shall throw my hat into the ring of roleplay as well if I may. I am not sure if this concept will work on your game but I find it intriguing, let me know. Also check my math please. :unsure:

Name: Kumiko Yokoyama
Role: Corporate (Junior Executive for Arasaka Banking and Financial Department, American Branch.)
Height: 157cm (5'2”)
Weight: 53.1kg (117lbs)
Hair Length and Style: Short straight hair that cups her cheeks and is impeccably groomed.
Hair Colour: Black.
Ethnicity: Japanese

Stats: 36
INT: 6
REF: 6
Tech: 2
Cool: 4
ATTR: 2
LUCK: 2
MA: 4
BODY: 4
EMP: 6
HUMANITY: EMP 6x10=60 - 9.5 =50.5

CAREER SKILLS: 33
RESORCES: 6
AWARENESS\NOTICE: 2
HUMAN PERCEPTION: 2
EDUCATION\GENERAL KNOWLAGE: 4 (MBA in Business management and Finance) Languages: (Japanese Primary Language 6 (Freebie), English: Secondary Language 4)
LIBRARY SEARCH: 1
SOCIAL: 1
PERSUASION: 2(3) (+1 from Forked Tongue)
STOCKMARKET: 0
WARDROBE&STYLE: 2 (5)(+3 from Clothing)
PERSONAL GROOMING: 2

PICKUP SKILLS: 12
HANDGUNS: 2
INTIMIDATE: 3
INTERROGATION: 3
ORATORY: 5

Starting Funds: 3,000(Resources 6)x3 = 9,000eb
Remaining Funds after purchases and expenses: 715eb

EQUIPMENT:
Federated Arms X-38 (2d6 Light Pistol) 35eb
Zeratech PDA+ (INT 2, 20MU, 6 hrs, 1.1kg) 680eb
Arasaka Personal Body Alarm 400eb+300eb/month

CYBERWARE:

Upgraded Skinweave level3 (SP 10; 1600eb; HC 3/2=1.5)
Basic Neuralwear Processor: 1000eb HC - 1
Cellphone Implant: 500eb HC -1
Interface Plug x2: Both Wrists 400eb HC -2
Forked Tongue: +1 persuasion\seduction 300eb HC-1
Cyberoptics: Basic Eye Module: 500eb (Times Square Marquee: 300eb, Video Imager: 350eb (x2 spaces) HC- 3
TOTAL Humanity Cost: 9.5

EXPENSES:
Arasaka Personal Body Alarm: 300eb/month
Trauma Team Account: 500eb/Month (Corporate account)
Corporate Appartment Cube - Subsidized
Health Plan: (Corporate account) 500eb/month

CLOTHING:
Pearl Eye Skirt and Jacket: 730eb (SP5, WS +2) (Colour: Black)
Pearl Eye Chinese Silk Shirt: 140eb (WS +2) (Colour: Red)
Flat Slip-on Business shoes: 50eb (WS +1) (Colour: Black)

LIFEPATH:
Family Background:
Parents: Ito and Taka (Both Alive and well)
Family Status: Doing just fine.
Childhood: On a Corporate Research Station (Arasaka's primary weapons research division, Japan)
Siblings: 1 Twin Brother (Hioshi) who Worships you.

Motivations:
Traits: Sneaky and Deceptive.
Person Valued Most: No one.
Valued Most: Power.
Valued Possession: Yokoyama family armor from Edo Peirod. (Antique and non functional)
Feeling about other people: They are pawns to be used and moved.

LIFE EVENTS:
Age 16: Made Enemy (Hiroshito Mizaki) caused him to lose face by sabotaging his project in school resulting in teacher being horribly scared. Feelings: Hatred as he bares the stigma to this day. Enemy Resources: Just himself.
Age 17: Friend (Sakura Mori) Like a kid sister to me. School Friend.
Age 18: Suffer a setback: Lose 500eb. Took up Gambling in a Yakuza card den and failed miserably.
Age 19: Nothing Happens. (school work)
Age 20: Romance: (Kenshi Sanada) Yakuza bag man.
Age 21: Made Enemy: (Orishi Sayna) Former lover of Kenshi who wants him back. Feelings: Hatred seems me as rival needed to be eliminated. Enemy Resources: Just herself.
Age 22: Happy love Affair
Age 23: Nothing Happens.
Age 24: Romance: Kenshi and I have conflicting backgrounds and it is starting to take it's toll on the relationship.
Age 25: Betrayed: Kenshi and Orishi have an affair and run off together. Feelings: Broken Hearted and feels love will never come again.
Age 26: Made a Friend: Local Nightcity Policeman (James Deveroux) by giving him the resources to find serial rapist. Effect: Good for one favor on a local police matter.
Age 27: Nothing Happens.
Age 28: Nothing Happens – So far!

BACKGROUND: Born in the heart of the Mega-corporation tower in Tokyo to two fairly high leveled researchers for Arasaka Kumiko had a very prosperous life. Growing up she had it easier than they low lives who lived outside her world but the down side was she had to work three times as hard as a corporate child to earn her place in the cutthroat world. Like most Japanese she spent most of her life sucking up to her bosses and schmoozing into their inner circles to show her promise to the company. While her parents were content with the lives of mid tier researchers Kumiko wanted much more out of life and quickly and shrewdly showed her aptitude for finance and business management. After years in the company and learning the ins and out of junior management she now sets her sights on consolidating her own power base in Night City to move up the corporate ladder, however unlike many of her peers she has little experience with the more dirty denizens of Night City and looks to find a group of people she can not only mold to her will but learn the more dangerous arts of survival on the streets.

Last edited:
Alright, Advice taken and stats returned to 40 points and skills (Hopefully) evened out. And as to having a cute Norwegian accent..Just like real life :p
Stats (6+4+6+4+4+2+4+4+6) 40 + Skills (6+1+3+6+9[3 Education has an x3 multiplier]+4+1) 30 = 70 of 70. (y)

Looks like our math matches now :love:

PERSONAL OPINION - I'd drop 1 from "Basic Tech" (essentially mechanics) and add it to "Electronics" since your specialty area is cybernetics and they're as much electronic as mechanical.

You also need to go back to the equipment lists and indicate the "Humanity Loss" from each of your cybernetics (it's automatically assumed to be the minimum HL value since this is stuff it's assumed you've had for a while). And also indicate any stat modifiers (look at other people sheets) to show your "true" stats and skills. Makes it much easier to do it once then have to remember "Oh yeah, I have a +2 'X' from my 'Y'." all the time.

Well since the wait for Cyberpunk 2077 continues on I shall throw my hat into the ring of roleplay as well if I may. I am not sure if this concept will work on your game but I find it intriguing, let me know. Also check my math please. :unsure:
Stats (6+6+2+4+2+2+4+4+6) 36 + Skills (7+2+2+12[4 Education has an x3 multiplier]+4+1+2+2+2) 34 = 70 of 70. (y)
Pickups (REF+INT = 12) so (1 [2 Handgun multiplier x0.5]+3+3+5) 12 of 12. (y)

You're a "bit" of a problem.

With your "Resources: 7" you're NOT a minor player on the Corp scene. Probably the Jr Vice President in charge of some significant project Arasaka's R&D is involved in here in Night City, answering to the head or R&D him/herself. You don't have the "luxury" of disappearing into the street life of the city, you have work and responsibilities!

Drop it to 5 and you can be a faceless mid-level manager who can.

(( Of course you may need to alter your monthly expanses to match your reduced income. ))

The other "issue" is ... you're an import from Japan who's spent her life with Arasaka, NO ONE on Night Cities streets is going to trust you. And in the shadows trust is the #1 currency. I can work around that however. BUT ! You're going to be "stuck" with what I come up with, like it or not, and I assume you it won't be terribly "nice". It will however be practical and functional.

So? Feeling brave?

Last edited:
Took your advice with the skills and modified accordingly, (I really appreciate your patience and help btw!) and added my Humanity and the cost to the sheet. However I do not believe any of my gear adds to my skills or stats as I just have tools that allow me to ply my trade not do them better. At least according to the Chrome website you listed as a reference. Otherwise I think I am ready to go!

However I do not believe any of my gear adds to my skills or stats as I just have tools that allow me to ply my trade not do them better. At least according to the Chrome website you listed as a reference.
You're undoubtedly correct. I didn't look up your tools etc. to see if any of them had a bonus.

So we have a basic CyberTech, who if she learns a bit of BioTech may someday become an (in)famous Ripper Doc sought out by the "elite" of the streets.

That was actually my plan for my character when I first started her! So...you are a mind reader as well as Marine and GM!

That was actually my plan for my character when I first started her! So...you are a mind reader as well as Marine and GM!
I've been playing and running RPGs for over 40 years now ... eventually you learn a few things out of sheer repetition.

Just to clarify, as I don't see any specific note listed here, the cost to improve a skill is [current skill level] x [ip Modifier] x 10, correct? or is this changed?

Just to clarify, as I don't see any specific note listed here, the cost to improve a skill is [current skill level] x [ip Modifier] x 10, correct? or is this changed?
Yep, it ain't easy to get better, and the last mission was pretty much of a total flop so you got almost nothing out of it.

(( Other then perhaps a little experience in what not to do. And the chance to rearrange your characters skills to better serve you in the future. ))

And on second thought ...
I was too stingy, make it 50 IP not 10 ... that's enough you can actually do something.

Upgraded Skinweave level3 (SP 10; 1600eb; HC 3/2=1.5)
MY MISTAKE

One thing I forgot to mention is normal Skinweave is (virtually) invisible, the upgraded versions (lev 2+) aren't.
So with lev 3 almost everyone knows it's there.

If this is a problem for your intended character then reconsider.

And change "Militech Personal Body Alarm: 300eb/month" to Arasaka ... Militech and Arasaka don't exactly get along.
Same EXACT service, just a different provider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom