[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+
[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

I'm running my Witcher 3 on a GTX 970 and the FPS for the game is quite nice and stable. However, whenever it enters any in-game cutscenes, including the intro cinematic, the FPS seems to be stuck at 25-26 for some obscure reason. Even the pre-rendered CGI cutscene feels really sluggish under that.

I've tried fiddling with various options, Vscync, full screen instead of borderless, etc but the cutscenes are still limited like that. Does anyone have the same effect or know what's causing it?

Same here running flawless until it hits a cut scene . just updated my nvidia drivers , tried medium settings also

Same for me. Even the main menu I get 18fps but according to msi only 1% of my gpu's are being used :/

Possible problem all you guys are having (maybe not but some of you possibly). There is a setting called MovieUberSampling in the visuals.ini file. If that is turned on for you guys try turning it off.

Also if you have Nvidia cards, choose the Prefer Maximum Performance setting on the control panel.

Last edited:
I think that is a standard behavior on some cutscenes : I have a stable 60 fps in game but some cutscenes are played at 30 fps.

Generally the cutscenes don't show very animated sequences so this is not a problem from my point of view, 30 fps is enough (still better than movies !).

Possible problem all you guys are having (maybe not but some of you possibly). There is a setting called MovieUberSampling in the rendering.ini file. If that is turned on for you guys try turning it off.

Also if you have Nvidia cards, choose the Prefer Maximum Performance setting on the control panel.
there isnt such an option in the rendering.ini

Found it, no joke its named so stupidily.
G:\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\r4game\hacks.ini
no joke. i know i just joined but its for a ctd that im getting in game, thought i might help with other things that i can help with.
change it from 30fps to 60fps and youll be right as rain. 30fps lends me to thinking they left the pc version as console mimic, which is sad
im running GOG version

In my hacks.ini file there is only one entry :

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=75

This is in bin\config\base\visual.ini

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=30.0
MovieUbersampling=true

Hey man,

Have you noticed a lot of FPS improvements with Prefer Maximum Performance setting on the control panel?

It really seems to help all over the place. I was getting down to 38 on ultra in some places, but it seems to have fixed a lot of the dips I was getting.

---------- Updated at 11:23 AM ----------

Don't do it there, change it in Documents/The Witcher 3/user.settings.

MovieFramerate=60

I heard people were having some difficulty with changes in user.settings. Were they just not saving it properly or something?

It really seems to help all over the place. I was getting down to 38 on ultra in some places, but it seems to have fixed a lot of the dips I was getting.

---------- Updated at 11:23 AM ----------

I heard people were having some difficulty with changes in user.settings. Were they just not saving it properly or something?

Thanks for the reply, 760 Overclocked is only able to achieve 60 fps (not even locked...) on Low, this is very very weird.

There is some optimization issues going on for sure, plus my CPU isn't used more than 25%.

Top Bottom