[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+
Patch didn't fix it for me either. Ini tweaks do not change a thing. All other sugestions in this thread do not change a thing.

Why did you hafto use pre rendered cutscene anyways? Sigh....

I'm glad to hear it's not just nvidia. If it was a pure driver issue we would be lucky to get a fix months later if even at all.

Specs are i7 3820, gtx 970, 8gb ram. Gpu and cpu are overclocked but undoing overclock made no difference. During pre rendered cutscenes gpu usage drops to 2%

Last edited:
For what it's worth stuttering in pre-rendered cutscenes (.USM in this case) can occur due to a conflict with an installed video codec or movie player which is acting as a go-between while trying to play your game. You'll want to look out for any codecs or third party players you may have installed which is being given priority over CPRs player. It may not be W3 that is the issue but the player or codec that is being invoked without your knowledge.

Also explains why altering your in-game graphic settings are having no perceivable effect.

Cheers

---------- Updated at 12:11 AM ----------

<continued>

...Consider making use of the Codec Tweak Tool to repair your codec setup: http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm
Careful with it.

Cheers

Guest 3819801

This is the worst bug for me so far. Because it prevents me from playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKREEhlUG8

ChandlerL. thanks for trying to help us, but that's not the case.
Also explains why altering your in-game graphic settings are having no perceivable effect.
Altering them doesn't change anything in pre-rendered cutscenes because they are basically just videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech Support answerd me....

Hello there,

there's a simple fix for that:
PC Support <pc_support@cdprojektred.com>

Locate the visuals.ini file in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base folder. Open the file with notepad and change MovieFramerate=30 to MovieFramerate=60.'

Kind regards,

Marcin Kulikowski
OMG.... =( It's NOT WORK!!!!

Guest 3819801

Now that's some sad news. That means they don't even investigate this problem. : ///
It's even nowhere near 30 in cutscenes!

Could you send them email again and attach video (or make your own) which shows it's not about their ini tweaks, because we can't even maintain 30 (which will actually fix stuttering). We talk about 20 fps here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKREEhlUG8

I have 60 fps in cutscenes (the one where Yen and Geralt runs away on horses from Wild Hunt after Wild Orchid) but it stutters/frameskips or whatever that effect is called. It shows that it runs constantly at 60 fps (tested with fraps, shadowplay etc) but it is not smooth. It's patch 1.0.3 and I have almost perfect 60 fps in game all the time. 1080p resolution. System spec: i5 2500K, GTX970, 8GB system ram, 512 GB SSD where game is installed. In game settings Ultra except foliage distance and grass density is set to high. Hairworks off, fullscreen, unlimited fps, ingame vsync off but forced adaptive with nvidia CP. I have also set power management to performance in nVidia CP.
Is there anything I can do to get smooth playback of those prerendered cinematics?

Guest 3819801

I have 60 fps in cutscenes (the one where Yen and Geralt runs away on horses from Wild Hunt after Wild Orchid) but it stutters/frameskips or whatever that effect is called. It shows that it runs constantly at 60 fps (tested with fraps, shadowplay etc) but it is not smooth. It's patch 1.0.3 and I have almost perfect 60 fps in game all the time. 1080p resolution. System spec: i5 2500K, GTX970, 8GB system ram, 512 GB SSD where game is installed. In game settings Ultra except foliage distance and grass density is set to high. Hairworks off, fullscreen, unlimited fps, ingame vsync off but forced adaptive with nvidia CP. I have also set power management to performance in nVidia CP.
Is there anything I can do to get smooth playback of those prerendered cinematics?
Hey, can you tell me what is the version of nvidia drivers you have?

One more answer from Tech Sup.
Hello,

So you get 60-70 FPS in-game all the time and 20 FPS in menu in movies (storybook)?
If so, then it's perfectly normal, since neither menu nor storybooks are rendered with the engine itself.
I wrote about vids. w8 for answer.

Last edited:
For what it's worth stuttering in pre-rendered cutscenes (.USM in this case) can occur due to a conflict with an installed video codec or movie player which is acting as a go-between while trying to play your game. You'll want to look out for any codecs or third party players you may have installed which is being given priority over CPRs player. It may not be W3 that is the issue but the player or codec that is being invoked without your knowledge.

Cheers

---------- Updated at 12:11 AM ----------

<continued>

...Consider making use of the Codec Tweak Tool to repair your codec setup: http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm
Careful with it.

Cheers

i do fresh install of windows 7 x64 sp1 and i have the same issue...
p.s. if u extract from .USM the video MPEG2 i can play with vlc without any stutter (strange)

Hello,

first, let's clarify what we consider 'a lag' or 'FPS drop':

FPS drop impacts performance of the gameplay and it should be preferably 60 FPS so the performance is smooth all the time, when the image is displayed in 26 FPS or more human's eye stops to perceive a significant difference.

You may encounter game lag or FPS drops and it will be a visible stutter that breaks the performance.

But all of the above apply to gameplay experience only and everything that is rendered by the game's engine.

The 60 FPS rule as a golden-standard does not apply to cinematics as are they are not rendered by the engine itself.

For example on my setup at work I always have 40 FPS in-game and the cinematic you sent is in 20-21 FPS on my work PC too.

20-24 FPS rate is a cinematic framerate and we used it for more cinematic look.

Please refer to that article https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кадровая_частота

I hope that clarifies everything.
It looks like we'll have to to accept it. I'm done, mby someone else to speak with support.

Guest 3819801

Are they kidding us? It's not more cinematic. It's more laggy. It seems that those videos don't lag if you play them outside the game as me3850 mentioned.
No really, what the hell? They should at least do them in 30fps. 1/2 of 60 refresh rate. Not at least. They actually should be 30fps videos. That just doesn't make any sense. When these pre-rendered videos play my GPU usage is at 1%.

Brockxz, are you sure you have 60 fps in pre-rendered cutscenes after we have official reply which mentions that "20-24 fps in cutscenes is the intentional move". Could you please send us proof of that (video/screenshot of fps in menu and pre-rendered cutscenes) since it seems now that one of you, be it tech support which claims that they did it intetionally and you can't have 60 fps there or is you who claims it's in 60 fps, is telling us lies.

P.S. Also why the hell we have MovieFramerate option if that doesn't work and cinematics were meant to run at 20-24fps? Why the hell we have this setting set to "30" by default? Tech support definitely did some harsh claims.

I saw 60 fps only in cutscene where Yen and Geralt running away from Wild Hunt after Wild Orchid. Now I tested with cutscene where Ciri hits the dummies head and wild hunt appears and yes, it's 30 fps there and stuttering. I wouldn't mind if those cutscenes were 30 fps but make them at least smooth. I would love to test the part where Geralt and Yen runs away from wild hunt but i don't have save file before that episode to test it anymore.

i do fresh install of windows 7 x64 sp1 and i have the same issue...
p.s. if u extract from .USM the video MPEG2 i can play with vlc without any stutter (strange)

I gave a try with a fresh windows 10 too on a side disk with only updates, last Nvidia driver and the game but the issue is still there.
So it isn't a third party codec problem but the game itself (+ maybe Nvidia driver) which doesn't work properly with the hardware.
I don't know if cdprojekt give a look at that, cause I've still any reply from them and no official answer in this thread too.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

I just did fresh install of windows right now and will try to investigate this problem further.
Brockxz, could you please also tell if those cutscenes run at constant 30 fps or they are sub 30?

If there was any problem, pre-rendered cutscenes and the main menu should run at ~1500 fps without vsync or framerate limit on a good rig ;)

Guest 3819801

If there was any problem, pre-rendered cutscenes and the main menu should run at ~1500 fps without vsync or framerate limit on a good rig ;)
DId you mean if there wasn't any problem?
Anyway there definitely is a problem. : /

nope, menu without v sync or framerate limit is near 1550 fps but on pre-rendered cutscenes is 28 fps also if you don't have vsync or framerate limit

Top Bottom