[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+

Guest 3819801

Ok I didn't get what you say, but I extracted video from .usm file and it doesn't stutter when played outside the game. So this is bullcrap that tech support mentioned it plays as it was intended. : /

pre-rendered cutscenes is 28 fps even if u have v sync off with unlimited fps...

ps yep if u play video with a "player" outside the game doesn't stutter

Wait so now they are claiming it is meant to be 20-24 fps for a cinematic effect? Then for starters why are some people able to change an ini option and get higher framerate? Are they claiming they are all liars? Why is that the fix cdpr offered if the game is supposed to be at 20-24 fps?

Also how come some people are getting sub 20 fps, I get 20-23, and I've seen others post they get near 30 or a solid 30. If what cdpr claims is true, why are peoples framerate all over the place?

The ugly stuttering is in no way cinematic and it is definitely noticable and distracting. I tried playing them on video player, like others posted and what do you know it plays perfectly smooth....

Please don't tell me this is "working as intended"

i do fresh install of windows 7 x64 sp1 and i have the same issue...
p.s. if u extract from .USM the video MPEG2 i can play with vlc without any stutter (strange)

Actually that isn't strange at all. VLC circumvents all external codecs using it's own internal ones to play content. In fact, that's its chief reason for being. It should be used when you want a convenient player that plays a lot of stuff without fuss because everything it needs is included in the self-contained application. The downside is it cannot be used in diagnosing Windows codec issues. It simply can't do the job.

Last edited:
ok this answer CDPR gave makes me real angry...

so they are trying to tell me 18FPS in cutscenes is for the cinematic look and completly normal just like the fact
that my GPU usage is at 7% doing nothing while i experience stuttering and movies with 18fps...

seriously: fuck you CDPR.. i dont have any problems with the fact that some things dont work as intended after release, but i really get angry
if your support tries to tell us FPS below 30 or even below 19 is normal for cutscenes in games.. NO IT IS NOT.. for games the needed framerate is AT LEAST 30fps and this goes for cutscenes as well.. everything below 30fps is stuttering.. and 19fps isnt cinematic but just unwatchable...

so get your shit together and dont try to tell us bullshit...

Last edited:
This is completely unacceptable, is there any way for us to force the game to use another player/codec other than in game player. I mean there has to be a way/patch/fix for this.

At this point it should be fairly obvious to CDPR that there is an issue here and all that those of us who experience it require is its acknowledgement and some details what can/will be done about it. Sure, the issue is not game breaking but it is still something that should be investigated and worked on. No one expects lightning fast response, but it's been a few days now and I haven't seen a single member of CDPR give this proper attention anywhere on any forum, official or otherwise. Tech support clearly can't give a proper solution to something the devs themselves need to look into. So, CDPR, feel free to make yourself known in this thread.

Cheers.

Guest 3819801

So again... No it does not run in-game as it was intended. Who hasn't seen how well pre-rendered cutscenes run I made a few short videos:

This is the opening cutscene captured in-game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqw6Cs_WgDk

And this is the opening cutscene extracted from game and played in Windows Media Player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCWmxWn8bQ

Please run both videos in full-screen.
You can use this videos when sending tickets to their tech support team.

Last edited by a moderator:
So pretty much we can assume the problem is with ingame movie player or codec it uses. Those 2 videos shows the problem very clearly if only CDPR finally admited they have a problem and they will fix it.

.... and all that those of us who experience it require is its acknowledgement and some details what can/will be done about it. Sure, the issue is not game breaking but it is still something that should be investigated and worked on.

thats exactly why my last post was so angry. the bug isnt game breaking or anything like that, but reading the answer given by the support just makes me feel like they dont acknowledge the issue and pretend everything is ok and therefor probably dont investigate the problem some of us have anymore.. and thats what makes me angry...

not the issue itself, but acting like there is no issue and using ubisofts empty PR phrases about "30fps for the cinematic feeling" as defense and doing it even worse by pretending 18-21fps are used for the cinematic-effect while you can see tons of gameplay videos in which those cinematics are played with at least 30fps and even more...

saying 18-20fps for this scenes is normal and intended is just ridiculous

Guest 3819801

Well it might be game-breaking for some.
I haven't started playing the wild hunt yet because of that bug. I mean... Maybe I could watch those stuttering cinematics, but I am hoping/waiting that they will fix this problem, and I don't want to ruin my game experience because of those jerky cutscenes. I mean... What if I start playing but they will suddenly release patch which will fix this problem, and I've already saw all this stuttering mess?
Damn, that's definitely game-breaking bug for me. Because I don't play this game cuz of this thing.

Same here, I don't want to play a break game and I definitely wait for a proper patch. There are lot of another bugs too and even new issues since the last patch like infinite horse stamina .

This game is still in bêta after its launching like many other these last years and it's very sad for a studio like cd projekt who had a solid reputation before.

The game itself is for sure a very good game like the 2 other witchers but I didn't pay to play at a bêta game. I feel like they have get Ubisoft rules...

I wouldn't say it's gamebreaking but it is really annoying for me and for my eyes, because it's not smooth. I really like the game and I'm glad I can enjoy it with almost everything on ultra with smooth 60 fps but those damn prerendered cutscenes and those microstutters and low fps in them. It hurts :D

Its nothing to do with video codecs from what I can tell since If I use a driver from 2014 all the pre-rendered cuts scenes go back to 60 fps , but i also know people on amd cards are having this problem so its not nvidia driver problem

Guest 3819801

Hey, what driver version is it? I just want to try it myself.

i have try this version 347.09 23/12/2014... so i have more fps on pre rendering cutscene from 28 to 30 stable fps....................but have same issue with stuttering

Exact same problem here, i7 3820 with a GTX970.

Game itself runs like a dream its just the cutscenes and menu that stutter like crazy at 20 fps.

None of these .ini changes work for me either... Reading this thread iam starting to see some correlation between this issue and the i7 3820 CPU.

Just a wild assumption though

Same issue with myself. 2x 980 GTX in SLI and the opening cinmeatic and Ciri at the training grounds drop from smooth 60fps to 22 fps. Tried the usersettings item, tried the visuals.ini, tried windows borderless, tried changin my overclocked bios of x.m.p ram to auto and tried disabling sli. No luck for any of these. Its definately not the way it should be.... would love some help on this one

Same problem...Unplayable..so frustrating...
Constant 60 fps in game...only 27 fps in cutscenes..
Visual.ini workaround not working.

I7 3770
2 x GTX 970 SLI
8 gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3
AsRock Z77 Extreme3

Last edited:
I hold off starting to play as long as this persists - the cutscenes are simply no fun at all to watch. (and none of the INI File "fixes" work for me either)
Witcher 2 - videos play like a charm
Witcher 3 - annoying stutter in videos all the time

And as I said: My rig uses an AMD card, so it is NOT a NVIDIA only problem.
:(

Top Bottom