[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+
Thank consoles for that... The bad part for you is that you have to play with 30fps cap to achieve smooth cutscenes and smooth gameplay.

So thanks to you now we know for 100% that there is a way to achieve smooth cutscenes at least @30 fps (that's the ultimate goal for me anyway, cuz I can't achieve 60 fps with my 680).
Also we know for sure that Tech support told us absolute bullshit.

But anyway, can you help us (me atleast) now? So, a few questions:
What cpu do you have and what are the clock speeds?
Do you use page file or you turned it off?
Driver version? (Sorry If I already asked that from you already)
Also where is game installed? C drive? Or else?

Damn I need to uncap this damn 22fps thing......

cpu q9550@3.8ghz
page file is on
last driver 352.86
game is on F partition of primary drive ssd

btw i need to set Prefer maximum performance or stuttering back again

ps so i think the video is gpu depend not cpu... so with a 970gtx i can reach 30fps but i don't know how is minimal for this frame rate

Last edited:
There are several reasons for sure cause OC my cpu has really a huge effect for my case. What is for sure too, this game is still in bêta...

Guest 3819801

There are several reasons for sure cause OC my cpu has really a huge effect for my case. What is for sure too, this game is still in bêta...

I can guarantee you that OC is relevant for you because we have the same case... Cutscenes and menu uses CPU instead of GPU somewhy. Is your gpu usage in main menu @1-2%? I just double checked that guys video who has 1500+ fps in main menu and his gpu usage is at 58+%...

Do you have 600 700 nvidia series or 900?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can guarantee you that OC is relevant for you because we have the same case... Cutscenes and menu uses CPU instead of GPU somewhy. Is your gpu usage in main menu @1-2%? I just double checked that guys video who has 1500+ fps in main menu and his gpu usage is at 58+%...

Do you have 600 700 nvidia series or 900?

I've a GTX 970 too and the main menu is as for you only 2 - 3 % used for the GPU. It definitely runs on our CPU for our case, I did'nt care for the GPU usage of that guy.

Could you tell me which CPU you use, I didn't see if you answered me?

Guest 3819801

I've a GTX 970 too and the main menu is as for you only 2 - 3 % used for the GPU. It definitely runs on our CPU for our case, I did'nt care for the GPU usage of that guy.

Could you tell me which CPU you use, I didn't see if you answered me?

I have i7-3930k running @4.4 for 2 years now. Hyper-threading is turned off. It's hexa core cpu.

I thought you have Kepler GPU, so that would explain lack of gpu usage since Nvidia confirmed broken drivers. But this problem seems not relevant to gpu model. -.- That is really srange.
Installing game to C drive now and will turn page file on. Will let you know if that will make any changes.

I've already try an install on my C drive (SSD instead of a HDD for my games drive) with any change but I didn't try to switch off the page file so yes let me know :)

What is strange too, it's you're locked at 22 fps with a better CPU than mine. This game is totaly broke.

What is your GPU?

edit : didn't see your pagefile is actually off, I think it will help you cause my page file is heavy loaded with this game, more than my RAM (a very well optimisation...)

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

Gtx 680 (gigabyte windforce 3x version)

Upd: Nope turning page file on/off does nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upd: Nope turning page file on/off does nothing.

I do a new OC test with screens to send it to the support and explain briefly all our investigations. I hope they will take care about that this time

edit : even their forum bugs :)

Last edited:
wait wait.... haha it's a joke i realy don't understand..... the pre rendering cut scene is k with half refrash rate and 30 fps limiter because the scene is 30 fps but the storybook stuttering at 30fps don't at 60fps...

ps i realy don't undestard because on external player both as 30fps but in game rivatuner on storybook give me 60fps...

somethink is realy wrong with this game -.-"

It seems that the storybook doesn't use the exactly same process cause it jigs between 30 and 60 fps for my case with the OC and cinematics 27 - 30 fps

So storybook can double it's original frame data in the game. But with your 30 fps limiter you should run them properly. Anyway CD Projekt need to fix their game for this and so much another bugs too according to the forum.

30fps storybook stuttering... 30fps cinematic it's ok
at 60fps storybook it's ok.... 30fps cinematic stuttering

microframe jump like hell on both when stuttering

Last edited:
You should send a report to the tech support too cause you've an another issue. That will help to have a definitive global fix for the stuttering problems

wait but wtf only the first storybook intro is at 60fps the other one like the yennifer on black horse is limit to 30....

hey what's they wrong with frame rate....

Here is the reply I got from Tech support, a bit more hopeful than the previous ones in this thread.

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I am really sorry you are experiencing issues with your copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
We are currently investigating the issue and have forwarded the data to the developers.

Kind regards,
Karol Pyziak

And this is my report:

Problem description:
FPS in main menu and cutscenes (like the one at the end of the tutorial) is abnormally low : 22-23 at best. GPU utilization is at 1%. Modifying .ini files does not help, such as the movieframerate=60.

The choppiness resulting from this issue, even in the opening cinematic, is immersion breaking and makes the game uncomfortable to play.

Guest 3819801

We are currently investigating the issue and have forwarded the data to the developers.

Woot! Seems like they fired that guy with "more-cinematic-feel" reply! :D

Spent whole night trying to find the fix for that thing. No luck. : / Seems like we have to wait for new patches from now on.

Here is the reply I got from Tech support, a bit more hopeful than the previous ones in this thread.

And this is my report:

Finaly a hope to have a proper patch and best comminucation! good new

---------- Updated at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by acsuiken View Post
Woot! Seems like they fired that guy with "more-cinematic-feel" reply!

Spent whole night trying to find the fix for that thing. No luck. : / Seems like we have to wait for new patches from now on.

I sent them a mail about that

Hello,

This was destinated to your tech support first but it's too long for the form and the second part will interest the marketing departement of your company too.

I answer you after your mail reply about framerate issues in pre rendered cinematics which suffer by poor framerates and a bad judder effect (I already replied for the sound and subtitles issues).

Here's your mail :

"Hello there,

Cinematics and game menu have lowered FPS to 24 by design for more cinematic experience.

Could you send us a video clip of your sound-related issue?

Kind regards,

Marcin Kulikowski"

I investigated how OC my cpu will increase the performance in the game and I discovered that it increased the framerate in the main menu and for pre rendered cinematics.
At default clock, the game runs at 26 fps in main menu and 23 fps for cinematics on my rig.
With OC, ~100 fps for main menu and 27 - 30 fps for cinematics.
A file with benchmarks is joined.

So I really think the pre rendered sequences runs on the CPU instead the GPU and it's an issue.
My GPU is only 2% used in main menu and the 3rd core of the CPU is 80% used. Look at this link where the guy runs the main menu at 1450 fps with a 58 % GPU used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS4Umf6CKbU

So the framerate isn't lock at 24 fps and with your mail you took me for a completely foolish. I'm very angry with that.
First I really wanted to help you due to your solid past reputation and to have a good experience in the game too for sure.
Now I just want a game which runs properly (there're plenty of another bugs too). Look at your forum.

I purchased an expensive GTX 970 card just for your game cause I loved your 2 first Witchers and because I trusted in you too.
Now I can't run properly this broken game obviously still in bêta and I just stoped to play it like many others.
I lost a lot of time like many other members too of your forum to investigate and make proper reports for you.

You use the same marketing lies and methods such as a company like Ubisoft since a few months and are completely destroying your good reputation. The way you've taken is pretty sad.

That said, I still hope for a proper patch to be able to play the game and that you care a little more about people who support you.

Best regards,

Antoine

Even with newest patch (1.04) I am still getting really low framerate in the intro/loading screens and main menu. Not sure why but it's a constant 18-19fps. Was hoping the latest patch would have fixed that. I get around 50-60 fps in-game.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:
Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.
Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.
Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.
Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.
Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.
Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.
Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.
A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.
Overall stability and performance improvements.
Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.
Game icon updated.
Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.
Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.
Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.
Small UI tweaks for Gwent.
Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.

it's a joke??? the problem still there.......

Top Bottom