[PC] Easier way to switch Signs using Gamepad (DS4)

+
Easy, carpal tunnel.

Also stop trolling.

---------- Updated at 02:43 AM ----------

Hey another update:

I was using the setup fine when eventually i noticed suddenly i could only cast quen. After closing and reloading a few times i reloaded an old save and immediately the normal function of the buttons started working again. Somehow that save broke something. Not sure if anyone else experienced this.

I copied the profile above, tripled checked each macro.

In game the bindings work but they all only fire whatever sign I have selected via the scroll wheel.

For instance I have Igni selected atm, so all the macros fire Igni. They won't select their individual signs.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Have you unbound R2, Triange, Square, X, Circle and PSButton? Those will be need to be unbound, before you allocate them macros. Make sure the image showing the controller matches. Also, make sure the order of the macros is like I have. Don't know if that should make a difference.

Once you do get it working, it should all work perfectly, inside and outside of combat. No issues at all.

I used DS4Windows. This is how i did it:

Igni, yrden and aard work fine. Even igni alternate mode.
Axii and quen cast the sign previously selected and then switch to the right one. I don't how to fix this.

I am not sure about DS4Windows. Just use InputMapper, as everything is working here perfectly once set up correctly.

Have you unbound R2, Triange, Square, X, Circle and PSButton? Those will be need to be unbound, before you allocate them macros. Make sure the image showing the controller matches. Also, make sure the order of the macros is like I have. Don't know if that should make a difference.

Once you do get it working, it should all work perfectly, inside and outside of combat. No issues at all.

I'm pretty sure i Have it all set up correctly. Anything you can see in my images?

Also was using Ds4windows, before that an xbox pad (plug and play) also tried bluetooth connection for my ds4 via a dongle (but i kept dropping so switched to lead). Any kind of potential conflict you could think of here?

Thanks.

Attachments

• JnNDk42.png
    JnNDk42.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 144
Well at least I'm not willingly crippling my gameplay experience :huh:

We all have K&M, we understand how they work and prefer gamepad for a variety of reasons. That you seem to think you're privy to some amazing insight about the value of K&M that none of us have thought of shows us just how much your arrogance has overridden your intelligence.

Either that or you're just trolling.

Either way, stop it.

I'm pretty sure i Have it all set up correctly. Anything you can see in my images?

Also was using Ds4windows, before that an xbox pad (plug and play) also tried bluetooth connection for my ds4 via a dongle (but i kept dropping so switched to lead). Any kind of potential conflict you could think of here?

Thanks.

Hmm... you do have it setup completely the same. The only other thing I did in Inputmapper was turn off the use the trackpad as mouse and lower the trackpad sensitivity. Otherwise both our setups are completely the same. I am on the latest patch 1.04, and connecting via cable, and on Windows 8.1. Honestly don't know what could be causing it.

I used DS4Windows. This is how i did it:
View attachment 15389

Igni, yrden and aard work fine. Even igni alternate mode.
Axii and quen cast the sign previously selected and then switch to the right one. I don't how to fix this.

I have it set up in Ds4Windows and its working great for me. I have not tested the Alt signs since I decided to go with a heavy swords build. One thing I notice is that yours is missing the "Scan code" designation. I think you need to have that on for them to properly respond. I also put mine in a single macro that does the Switch and immediately casts.

I am not sure about DS4Windows. Just use InputMapper, as everything is working here perfectly once set up correctly.

Thank you but i want to stick with ds4windows.

I have it set up in Ds4Windows and its working great for me. I have not tested the Alt signs since I decided to go with a heavy swords build. One thing I notice is that yours is missing the "Scan code" designation. I think you need to have that on for them to properly respond. I also put mine in a single macro that does the Switch and immediately casts.

I had scan code box checked.
I tried your method and it's more reliable than mine. But alternate mode doesn't work. So i made some changes.

Note: macro is just press/release numerical key. Cast is R2+button = toggle Q.
It seems to work perfectly now.

Attachments

• DS4_B.jpg
    DS4_B.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Hey guys, I found an easy way to cast signs on PC too. Here's how I did it.
Why in the unholy name of hell would anyone play the witcher games with a gamepad...jesus jumping christ on a pogo stick you're not even bound by console nonsense.

I have my PC in a different room with an HDMI cord going to my theater room so I can play it sitting in a recliner with a 110" projector. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse in the room, but it's not as easy sitting in a chair, especially when you have a game designed with controllers in mind. Not everyone plays sitting at a desk.

Thanks.

I don't see any issues with what you have, although it sounds like the issue is that the sign isn't being switched properly, The only thought i have is maybe your keyboard key bindings are messed up and you don't have the correct buttons to switch the sign. Try just manually walking through the macro by pushing what it does. If you figure it out, let us know.

Below is the what I have been using for a few days now without any issues, and I am using the DS4 wireless through bluetooth as you initially tried.
Basically the same as what Exentryk is doing, except I'm using R1 as my fifth button. I also have L2+Start getting me straight to map and L2+R3 doing quicksave.

Also, for those that haven't done so yet or find this post later, to get rid of the Control Scheme Switched message, do the following.
Go to your Witcher 3 install location and go into this folder:"...\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base"
Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.
Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"

I don't see any issues with what you have, although it sounds like the issue is that the sign isn't being switched properly, The only thought i have is maybe your keyboard key bindings are messed up and you don't have the correct buttons to switch the sign. Try just manually walking through the macro by pushing what it does. If you figure it out, let us know.

I woke up today to play, first loaded Ds4windows to look at writing macros there. Decided to check this thread before I did and saw your response, closed ds4windows, loaded IM, started the game... and it just worked.

No idea why it wasn't before. Maybe some kind of conflict, but I can't see what it could have been as I've done nothing differently.

Oh well, it works now. Thanks for the help! Massive QoL improvement.

I woke up today to play, first loaded Ds4windows to look at writing macros there. Decided to check this thread before I did and saw your response, closed ds4windows, loaded IM, started the game... and it just worked.

No idea why it wasn't before. Maybe some kind of conflict, but I can't see what it could have been as I've done nothing differently.

Oh well, it works now. Thanks for the help! Massive QoL improvement.

Agreed. After playing this way for about 5 days now, I've seen problems, no reason why this shouldn't be the default scheme. The only disadvantage I saw was being unable to aim the secondary Igni sign so I could douse more than just one enemy in flames, because my thumb was stuck holding down square. Shifting Igni to R1 fixed that though, and the rest of the secondary signs don't require aiming.

Agreed. After playing this way for about 5 days now, I've seen problems, no reason why this shouldn't be the default scheme. The only disadvantage I saw was being unable to aim the secondary Igni sign so I could douse more than just one enemy in flames, because my thumb was stuck holding down square. Shifting Igni to R1 fixed that though, and the rest of the secondary signs don't require aiming.

That's a good tip for people wanting to use Igni alt. I was using that too at first, but now I find the basic version superior.

Also, I've modified my R2+PSButton (Aard) to R2+L2 (Aard). The PSbutton was a bit awkward to reach. R1 is also a good option, but I didn't want to accidentally risk using a bomb.

the reason why i switched to gamepad because you can feel the movements of the character better than with kb+m which feels very light. Technically, Yrden, Igni, and Aard are easy to switch too. I only find it hard to switch to Quen and Axii due to the 35 degree angle in the stick.

Last edited:
Ahh, loaded the game this evening and the macros aren't working again. Not switching between signs and the pad/ps button aren't functioning.

Haven't done anything differently, there must be some kind of conflict I resolved without knowing when it worked l ...

Anyone have any idea where I'd begin if all the things sundaypostman suggested are ok?

Great work!

Recreated myself and uploaded the profile to save people time. -

http://www.megafileupload.com/1ClB/Witcher_3_(parabolee).xml

Copy to -

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\InputMapper\Profiles

Then relaunch InputMapper and set to auto launch with The Witcher 3 (or manually select)

Mine has some minor changes -

R2 + Triange = Igni
R2 + Circle = Axii
R2 + X = Quen
R2 + Square = Yrden
R2 + TouchPad Right Click = Aard

Touchpad Left Click = Quick Save
Touchpad Right Click = Map
PS Button = Inventory

Last edited:
Edit: nothing about the issue below, it was purely my fault. No administrator mode and no scan code when entering macros. Silly me :D

Thank you for this fantastic solution guys. I have downloaded DS4Windows and, as it has a macro option, I'm trying to toy with it + the modifiers and there is absolutely no way to make anything work in-game. Even when I unbind certain buttons or change their binds completely, once I am in game it reads the inputs as if it was a X360 controller with no problem, so no macros working or touchpad inputs.

Should I untick the "hide PS4 controller option"? Maybe is there any other thing?

Thank you very much in advance guys.

Post updated: I managed to get the macros to work on a notepad (so they actually work) and actually in-game the L1 button (my selected modifier, unbound in the main configuration) does not work anymore. However, the macros set in 'shift modifier' do not work at all, face buttons behave normally

Last edited:
Top Bottom