[PC]Gamma setting seems not working

+
[PC]Gamma setting seems not working

As the title says. Changing gamma values through in game menu or forcing through setting file editing doesn't have effects on game.
Am I the only one?

Are you running the game in borderless fullscreen?. for the game's gamma correction to supercede the desktop's you need to use exclusive fullscreen (the third option).

Are you running the game in borderless fullscreen?. for the game's gamma correction to supercede the desktop's you need to use exclusive fullscreen (the third option).

Yes, i'm on fullscreen (the last option) but gamme slider have no effect on the Witcher symbol image (and on the game).
BTW my specs: i7-4702MQ, GF GTX 850M 2 GB GDDR5 OC, 8 GB Ram 1600 MHz, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

I know it sounds like a stupid question but did you try reloading the game? Did you have that issue right from the start?

Yes. I've tried also the verify/repair option on gog galaxy, and deleting the user.settings and let the game regenerating a new clean one.

But the problem is still there; as the Reddit user reported "I see the witcher symbol for a split second and then darkness (overlays both on and off)".

Thanks for your time.

It seems the gamma-slider does work. But the range of values is very small.

Try editing the User.settings file. (In Documents\The Witcher 3).
There is a line: GammaValue=
It seems the range is between 0.1 (dark) and 1.88 (light). If you set the value lower (to 0.05 or 0.001) you should see that the game is more dark. If you set it to 4.0 or something, the game becomes very light.

And btw, we don't want to change gamma.
We want to change brightness.
Those are 2 really different things.

It seems the gamma-slider does work. But the range of values is very small.

Try editing the User.settings file. (In Documents\The Witcher 3).
There is a line: GammaValue=
It seems the range is between 0.1 (dark) and 1.88 (light). If you set the value lower (to 0.05 or 0.001) you should see that the game is more dark. If you set it to 4.0 or something, the game becomes very light.

And btw, we don't want to change gamma.
We want to change brightness.
Those are 2 really different things.

No changes for me. Even setting it at 6.
BTW using SweetFX to change brightness/gamma now; hoping that CDPR will come with a fix on next patches.

I'm using SweetFX too.
What settings did you change to change the gamma ?

I used the Gamma=<something> line in the Tonemap Settings section.
Not sure if that is the best place to do it.
Light now looks good during the day. But during the night it was very bright. (Maybe because it was full moon. I haven't been inside a dungeon yet).

Have had same issue from the beginning myself. Gamma in-game won't change anything. Guess wait for more patches.

Using v1.02 patch, not able to change gamma. Just updated to 1.03 patch. Unable to change gamma via in game gamma controls. Game is dark. Seeing some online videos from XB1, their night looks like my noon.

Have a bit older system
2.7ghz Intel quad core.
EVGA X58 SLI motherboard
ATI Radeon 285X 3gig = Have to run game at 1280x960 with settings near ultra. (1 screen)
12 gig RAM
RAID 0 SSD for OS drive where game is installed.

Sorry if I sound stupid here, but where are these gamma settings?
I have been through all the game option and cant find any gamma/brightness settings anywhere.
I wanted to adjust them because I felt the game world was a bit too dark at night, but cant find these settings anywhere.

I'm on version 1.03 if its of any importance

Video
Just above 'back'

As I said, I have been through all game options and found no such thing as gamma.
Just checked under video, there I get 4 options.

HUD Configuration.
Rescale HUD
Postprocessing
Graphics

I looked under ALL of these and found nothing that even looks like it could be gamma settings.

Edit:
Ok this is just stupid.
The Gamma option is not available unless I run fullscreen mode.
I was running borderless windowed mode for easier Alt Tab(my experience is that most multi platform games dont handle Alt Tab well in fullscreen mode), and this had the option removed from the list.

The more I see and read about this game the less sense it makes to me, why should I not be able to adjust gamma in windowed/borderless windowed mode, but only in full screen?

Last edited:
Top Bottom