[PC] Graphics Issues - Shadows/Transparency and Textures "beaming" in...

+
[PC] Graphics Issues - Shadows/Transparency and Textures "beaming" in...

Greetings,

I remember Witcher 2 having a similar problem with shadows back in the day...
In W2 it was called "dithering" i guess? I can't remember if that was it...

I hoped that this problem would not occur in W3...but it seems it's back...
The issue presents it self on several occasions...for example if textures fade in or out, they are not doing it instantly, but they become grainy and dissapear/appear...It's hard to explain...but on other occasions those grainy "shadows" appear on NPCs or Objects...it really breaks immersion...

All Settings are on Ultra, Hairworks Off...

Does anybody know what that is and how it can be fixed?
Overheating is not an issue...temps are fine...and W3 is the only game I'm experiencing this...

I snapped a pic with my phone...it should be obvious what I mean...
The effect basically looks like this (taken at sundown on a beach...shadow was on a cliffside)...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/1zzn6oj.jpg

---------- Post merged on 21-05-2015 at 02:56 AM ----------

Nothing? Am I the only one who has this issue? :/

Dithering is a technique used, it's not a bug, nor can it be "fixed" there are numerous reasons as to why dithering is used in games. Technically speaking? Dither is actually pretty useless in this day and age.

Dithering is a technique used, it's not a bug, nor can it be "fixed" there are numerous reasons as to why dithering is used in games. Technically speaking? Dither is actually pretty useless in this day and age.

Hm...okay...so it is normal to behave this way?
I knew it was normal in TW2 and could only be resolved via Ubersampling...seeing it in TW3 to such a huge degree (foliage apppearing/dissapearing with that dithering effect) made me worry that something is wrong...

That I have no idea as to why, I just know why they use Dithering. I haven't come across foliage disappearing with the effect, yet... I'd imagine I will be, eventually...

Greetings,

I remember Witcher 2 having a similar problem with shadows back in the day...
In W2 it was called "dithering" i guess? I can't remember if that was it...

I hoped that this problem would not occur in W3...but it seems it's back...
The issue presents it self on several occasions...for example if textures fade in or out, they are not doing it instantly, but they become grainy and dissapear/appear...It's hard to explain...but on other occasions those grainy "shadows" appear on NPCs or Objects...it really breaks immersion...

All Settings are on Ultra, Hairworks Off...

Does anybody know what that is and how it can be fixed?
Overheating is not an issue...temps are fine...and W3 is the only game I'm experiencing this...

I snapped a pic with my phone...it should be obvious what I mean...
The effect basically looks like this (taken at sundown on a beach...shadow was on a cliffside)...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/1zzn6oj.jpg

---------- Post merged on 21-05-2015 at 02:56 AM ----------

Nothing? Am I the only one who has this issue? :/

I also have this issue...

As written on geforce tweak guide you should play with CascadeShadow values

[Rendering]
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold= [Ultra Value: 1] - Decrease the value to improve the maximum view distance of shadows
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0= [Ultra Value: 1] - Increase the value to improve the quality of close-range shadows
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1= [Ultra Value: 1] - Increase the value to improve the quality and visibility of close and medium-range shadows
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2= [Ultra Value: 1.5] - Increase the value to improve the quality and visibility of distant shadows
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount= [Ultra Value: 4] - Increase the value to potentially improve the quality of terrain shadows
CascadeShadowmapSize= [Ultra Value: 3072] - Increase the value to slightly improve the fidelity of shadows
CascadeShadowQuality= [Ultra Value: 1] - Increase the value to slightly improve the fidelity of shadows

you should play with boosting the Scale0 mostly as there's problem with close shadows being rendered kinda weirdly.

On top of that you should raise the foliage shadows

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
FoliageShadowDistanceScale= [Ultra Value: 54] - Increase the value to enable a few extra trees, bushes, and grass clumps to cast shadows

My values which fixed the problem for me:

FoliageShadowDistanceScale=32
CascadeShadowQuality=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2

Hope it helps :) Have fun !

Top Bottom