PC Hotfix

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED

A hotfix for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out on PC. It primarily addresses the performance issues that appeared after Patch 4.01. The game version won’t change.

Don't get what the update does. gpu utilization for me is still at 70%, with cpu at 30%.

Don't scare me because I have over 100 mods installed and steam updates game automatically xD Fortunately it's just a small hotfix..

Hmm got another crash after a couple minutes of playing the DX12 version. Got a crash message saying something about memory, before that VRAM hovers around 8000MB in Novigrad which is normal, then went up and up to about 12000 before the crash. (On RX 7900XTX, Driver Version: "22.40.00.62-230106a-387257C-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition") Hope this helps.. I did send the crash report on the "Damn that's ugly" popup :)

Edit:
Support recommended me to do a clean reinstall of the game:
Back up save files, completely remove game, turn off save file sync, delete The Witcher 3 folder with settings and gamesaves on PC, check if the game folder in the install directory still exists and if yes delete it, install game (don't add mods yet), test if it works, move saves back into the gamesaves folder, re-enable save sync.

This actually helped the performance on DX12 a lot, it feels like there are fewer stutters and I get more FPS! (y) No idea what happened to my install that this made a difference, I had just upgraded my way every step from Ver. 4, verified game files a couple times as well...

Is anyone else seeing that VRAM usage keeps accumulating on DX12? It keeps gradually growing and only fast travel to another region or going to Main Menu and back into game 'resets' it for me.

Last edited:
If your game Crash after loading save then, be sure u deleted xinput9_1_0.dll(it's mod file) from x64_dx12 or x64 folder, if not then do it.
if problem still exist, then just delete thoes two folders and run game repair/verify in steam/gog aplication

This update change probably only "vagina" things thats come out latly, dunno.

Last edited:
Steam has set updating as default only now i changed it. If you were smart you would take that into account.
Never intended to be rude, so I rephrase ;)
It's rather risky to let updates on automatic when you play modded game (whatever the game). Even more when it's not very easy to roll back game versions like it is on Steam.

Performance has generally improved for me but some stutters are still present though they are not frequent which is good. The first image is RT off at 1440p AMD FSR 2 Quality and graphics set to Ultra+ and the second image is same settings but RT Performance on (all toggles enabled).
1440p AMD FSR 2 Quality and Ultra+ Settings.png
RT Performance On AMD FSR 2 Quality 1440p Ultra+.png

A hotfix for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out on PC. It primarily addresses the performance issues that appeared after Patch 4.01. The game version won’t change.
How does it address the performance issues? Come on!

I have GTX 1660 Super and AMD Ryzen 7 - on 4.0 version I've had 45-60fps with Uber+ settings easily and now, standing inside the Keira Metz house, I have 25-27fps! Fix DX12 version! Still have 50-60fps on DX11 but the stuttering is heavy after update to 4.01.

How do I know the hotfix downloaded or updated? I'm on Epic with auto update enabled.

Also I'm getting 5-10 sec freezes while playing they occur randomly but very frequently during gameplay. Which makes it unplayable. On GTX1650

WTH did you do? My game just got updated and it made the game unplayable, I have less than 1 FPS?! When before I had stable 56-59 FPS
Never mind, I updated drivers (to one that was released yesterday) and problem with FPS drop got resolved, but still the fact that there is not even a choice whether to use this "hotfix" or return to the previous version is a terrible design.

Last edited:
How do I know the hotfix downloaded or updated? I'm on Epic with auto update enabled.
If auto-update is enabled, I guess the hotfix was directly installed.
Never mind, I updated drivers (to one that was released yesterday) and problem with FPS drop got resolved, but still the fact that there is not even a choice whether to use this "hotfix" or return to the previous version is a terrible design.
If you're on GOG, in theory you can rollback your game version and it's very easy. On Steam, I think it's possible but difficult. On Epic, impossible as far as I know.
If you want to have the choice, just disable auto-update... You will be able to decide if you want to install an update or not :)

If auto-update is enabled, I guess the hotfix was directly installed.
How to confirm? that's my question. There's not patch version or anything to say what the hotfix entails nor if it actually updated. Would like to get some answers especially also on the freezes
If you're on GOG, in theory you can rollback your game version and it's very easy. On Steam, I think it's possible but difficult. On Epic, impossible as far as I know.
If you want to have the choice, just disable auto-update... You will be able to decide if you want to install an update or not :)

Top Bottom