PC in game settings not affecting fps at all

+
Could be - So far COD AW, SW Fallen Order and a couple of other games are working fine - smooth 60+ FPS. All recent games.
Doom Eternal, RDR2 and CP2077 are suddenly running like crap as of today...

Unless the DX12/Vulkan API is accessing some portion of the GPU that's now borked (highly unlikely), I'm leaning toward a driver corruption, or perhaps even a power supply issue (not enough power)... but I'm open to suggestions. It's very strange.

EDIT: sorry for the quasi double post. The previous one didn't show up when I refreshed.
was this same drivers or before after update?

Seems like the problem is low CPU usage, I turned off AMD Cool 'n Quiet and "overclocked" my CPU to run on 3.6GHz constantly. And as soon as I did that I gained some fps, now I'm on 45 fps in game and around 60 to 70 in menus. However the CPU usage is never going past 45%. I'm fairly sure this is a bug with the game not using available resources correctly, so best guess is we have to wait until they patch this.

Same.
What really changes here is resolution...but i still think it's very strange how my fps jumps.
Low-medium 720p: 70-100 fps (dream) but a terrible quality

Medium-high 900p: 45-65 fps acceptable but 900p in a ultrawide monitor is strange

Medium-high 2560x1080 (native): 29-36 which is what i pick for now...despite the annoying input lag to aim (vsync off)

Same.
What really changes here is resolution...but i still think it's very strange how my fps jumps.
Low-medium 720p: 70-100 fps (dream) but a terrible quality

Medium-high 900p: 45-65 fps acceptable but 900p in a ultrawide monitor is strange

Medium-high 2560x1080 (native): 29-36 which is what i pick for now...despite the annoying input lag to aim (vsync off)

The thing is, on my end not even a resolution change has any effect. It can be 1024x768 or 1440p, the performance is identical

I'm also on under the impression that the game isn't utilizing the CPU Cores/threads properly. If you see my screenshot, you can see that some threads, namely 1, 4, 5, 7 and 11 are being pushed way harder (properly maybe), while others are more middle with some lower, and then there's thread 8 and 12 which lands below 20% at basically all times.

This of course, won't allow my GPU to do its job properly, leaving up to 50% of the performance unused.

This kind of performance is similar to when you play older games that are WAY more dependant on single core performance, and won't take advantage of the higher core counts.

RIG:

RTX 3070 (Driver 460.79)
R5 3600
16GB 3600 CL18
MSI Tomahawk Max (Latest non-BETA BIOS)
650W 80+ Bronze

Attachments

• utilpls.PNG
    utilpls.PNG
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
does turning off hyperthreading/SMT help?

Ye nah, samish performance, but at least the cpu is throbbing all cores now. I read that someone using a 5900X had the same issue, so i'll cross my fingers that a patch is what's needed.

Attachments

• noSMT.PNG
    noSMT.PNG
    582.6 KB · Views: 69
does turning off hyperthreading/SMT help?
Nah, tried turning it off, identical performance
Post automatically merged:

I have randomly found a spot in the desert part of the map where the CPU and GPU usage goes to normal and gives normal fps (around 80 in my case with both CPU and GPU usages being as expected)

Attachments

• 1607793206924.png
    1607793206924.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • Untitled-min.png
    Untitled-min.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I put the crowd option to medium (under gameplay) and it did improve my experience a bit so far, and is basically the only setting that has increased fps for me since I'm not GPU bound. I'm certain that something's off though.

I had the same issues with my Ryzen 2700x. It turned out I was CPU bound. I first bought new GPU RTX 3070 to replace my old GTX 1070, NOTHING HAPPENED not a single fps gain so I was little worried if everything is okay with my GPU but the other (not so intensive on cpu) games were working much faster. So i replaced my CPU with Ryzen 5600x. Oh boi did it help - I run cyberpunk on Ultra with 60-90 fps now.

Hope this helps you. As far as I know ryzen 1xxx and ryzen 2xxx had poor architecture which bottlenecked the information flow between inside the CPU - not an expert but it might be connected why it is so better between 2xxxx and 3,5 series of ryzen

Edit: oh and about CPU usage - you can't look at those, if the cpu is on 50% all the time, but your game chockes it's either it cannot process this type of instructions at the rate that newest cpu are doing it. In simple words the same 3,7 Ghz ryzen 1700x would be muuuch slower than ryzen 5600x even with 2 cores less bc of technology it introduces to process integer signed and float instructions

Top Bottom