PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
PC mouse and keyboard controls

Hey CD red guys, I just looked at the hands on video and if i am not mistaken every one was using a controller. this makes me a little worried and I will tell you why. Before I was a fan of the Witcher I played dragon age origins and dragon age two on my pc. When I got the news that a new Dragon age was coming out I was so exited that i bought the game in presale and never have I been so disapointed . The game was not build for pc but for consoles with a very poorly designed pc console port. I never finished the game because it is too frustrating . Can you confirm that the PC controls will not be a poorly designed console port as in Dragon Age inquisition.

Hey CD red guys, I just looked at the hands on video and if i am not mistaken every one was using a controller. this makes me a little worried and I will tell you why. Before I was a fan of the Witcher I played dragon age origins and dragon age two on my pc. When I got the news that a new Dragon age was coming out I was so exited that i bought the game in presale and never have I been so disapointed . The game was not build for pc but for consoles with a very poorly designed pc console port. I never finished the game because it is too frustrating . Can you confirm that the PC controls will not be a poorly designed console port as in Dragon Age inquisition.

I wouldn't worry too much. I thought the M+K controls were fine in the Witcher 2. In fact, the UI was far easier to navigate than with a controller IMO (although I think controllers will always feel better in combat due to being able to move in more than 8 directions). The combat doesn't seem to be wildly different from the last game so I imagine it would be pretty hard to fuck up to be honest.

I wouldn't worry too much. I thought the M+K controls were fine in the Witcher 2. In fact, the UI was far easier to navigate than with a controller IMO (although I think controllers will always feel better in combat due to being able to move in more than 8 directions). The combat doesn't seem to be wildly different from the last game so I imagine it would be pretty hard to fuck up to be honest.

Yes and no. The "real" problem is that there again won't be two different UIs for controllers and M/K. So in the end, both will suffer to a certain extend which is very sad. In that aspect, it's basically very similar to DAI... :/

More on the topic (for the OP):

- http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/20992-Combat-in-The-Witcher-3
- http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32706-Is-Witcher-like-DragonAge
- http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30441-Is-TW3-getting-downgraded-for-the-sake-of-consoles
- http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30432-So-after-E3-is-The-Witcher-3-really-a-PC-game

Yes and no. The "real" problem is that there again won't be two different UIs for controllers and M/K. So in the end, both will suffer to a certain extend which is very sad. In that aspect, it's basically very similar to DAI... :/

You dont know that, we dont know how the final UI looks like, or how it works. Grid based inventory should work perfectly with M+K. DAI had list based inventory with huge font, thats why it sucked so much (also tactical cam. wasnt build for mouse) .

It wasn't built for gamepad neither, it' was built for, so they could say "we have tactical cam also for old school players"

yeah, the was the nail in the coffin for me for DA:I. I have no interest in that crappy MMO combat so the tactical cam was what I was looking forward to.

@Scholdarr It's impossible to really get an Idea for what a UI will control like until you get your hands on it. I find that when a UI is built for both gamepad and M+K it almost always feels better with M+K anyway. When I play Witcher 2 on gamepad I always do stuff like accidentally taking off my boots without knowing it and then selling them by mistake. I spent Most of Chapter 1+2 in my last play through barefoot as a result :D And I know it's better to have a custom UI for both but going of history I think M+K will be just fine. It's people on gamepad that should worry

yeah, the was the nail in the coffin for me for DA:I. I have no interest in that crappy MMO combat so the tactical cam was what I was looking forward to.

@Scholdarr It's impossible to really get an Idea for what a UI will control like until you get your hands on it. I find that when a UI is built for both gamepad and M+K it almost always feels better with M+K anyway. When I play Witcher 2 on gamepad I always do stuff like accidentally taking off my boots without knowing it and then selling them by mistake. I spent Most of Chapter 1+2 in my last play through barefoot as a result :D And I know it's better to have a custom UI for both but going of history I think M+K will be just fine. It's people on gamepad that should worry

It's possible that a unified UI works better for M/K than for controllers. Like you've said, we don't know until we see and experience it. But we know one thing for sure: the unified approach limits the possiblities for both input methods, no matter to which extend. It's always a compromise. That of course doesn't mean that W3 will be bad or unplayable with M/K, not at all. But it means that it very likely doesn't use the full potential different input methods, M/K included, offer.

It's possible that a unified UI works better for M/K than for controllers. Like you've said, we don't know until we see and experience it. But we know one thing for sure: the unified approach limits the possiblities for both input methods, no matter to which extend. It's always a compromise. That of course doesn't mean that W3 will be bad or unplayable with M/K, not at all. But it means that it very likely doesn't use the full potential different input methods, M/K included, offer.

Uh, huh. Totally get you there. Obviously It's optimal to have separate UI for each. Just sayin that if M+K is your thing you haven't got much to worry about if Witcher 2 is anything to go by. Unified UI or not I doubt it'll have a huge effect on usability of M+K. But yeah, it could all be made much easier with separate UI.

Its hard to see how the UI will not improve over Witcher 2. I played WItcher 2 on Xbox 360, & menu is easily one of the top things to improve for Witcher 3. I do not mind if its a shared design, as long as it works for both controller & KB/Mouse.

Again I must point it out here: There were K+M setups in the US leg of the hands on (There are photos of the test room somewhere in the forum :) ). So I'm guessing we will get comments about it on Monday from the journalists, and hopefully get some information about it. Just have to wait until Monday I guess... :)

Bump to see if anyone has seen any hands on previews where PC users used a KB/Mouse.

As the OP said he loved DA1 and DA2 (as did I) and both of those games controlled fine with a KB/M. Then DA3 came along and its a complete dumpster fire. So assuming The Witcher 3 will be fine n dandy because 1 & 2 were just fine is a really really bad idea. I'd like to see proof and have concrete examples.

One of the reviews said that K&M wasn't available, was still being fine-tuned.

That could be pretty damning...thats not a good sign at all. I never payed attention to the previous beta builds of W1 or W2 so its possible that could be normal...But that "seems" extremely bad and is extremely disheartening.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised this hasn't gotten more attention on this forum seeing how awful Dragon Age Inquisition was on PC (control wise).

I mean the original release date came and went and they are supposedly "working on polish"...Your default/primary control method for an ENTIRE PLATFORM is not polish.....that's the most basic and fundamental building block of the darn game. Thats why this has me extraordinary concerned.

Last edited:
World would be better place without gamepads.. :p

(don't hate me, you all know that..)

A world of options is always superior. I prefer KB+M for some games, gamepad for others, arcade pads for fighters, and if Star Citizen is half the game its hyped to be I'll probably pick up a HOTAS.

That said, I do agree that it is strange that KB+M controls arent yet in a presentable state.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised this hasn't gotten more attention on this forum seeing how awful Dragon Age Inquisition was on PC (control wise).

I mean the original release date came and went and they are supposedly "working on polish"...Your default/primary control method for an ENTIRE PLATFORM is not polish.....that's the most basic and fundamental building block of the darn game. Thats why this has me extraordinary concerned.

I don't know much about game development, but for me implementing mouse and keyboard input doesn't seem like a difficult thing to do. Also the previews did not say the the M&K controls are not in the game yet. There were just not available in this test. The Reds said they are "not ready yet." This sounds like the controls are already present and only need some fine tuning.

I really hope we get direct input and no gamepad emulation. Also raw-mouse input is a must. Can't stand that awful mouse lag from TW2.

Top Bottom