PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
I want to see this as much as anyone, however, it already looks improved over TW2. What they've said about customizing elements of the UI is a rarity these days. We just have to sit tight until they decide to elaborate on it. Keep in mind they have yet to start any dev diaries, which is where we'll get specifics.

Yes and no. The "real" problem is that there again won't be two different UIs for controllers and M/K. So in the end, both will suffer to a certain extend which is very sad. In that aspect, it's basically very similar to DAI... :/

In the past CDPR claimed they will address both use cases properly (as in having separate UIs if I understood correctly). If they won't - it will be same level of bad compromise like TW2.

Customizable UI is another option indeed. These days there are tons of ways to do it without forcing one fixed UI on the user.

In the past CDPR claimed they will address both use cases properly (as in having separate UIs if I understood correctly). If they won't - it will be same level of bad compromise like TW2..
Well, actually they've said that this most likely won't be the case. No two seperate UIs. Just the same thing for everyone, slightly changed for mouse/keyboard. So I expect the same level of bad compromise like TW2 if not worse...

And them not showing us anything about PC controls doesn't really give me much hope for the better...

I want to see this as much as anyone, however, it already looks improved over TW2. What they've said about customizing elements of the UI is a rarity these days. We just have to sit tight until they decide to elaborate on it. Keep in mind they have yet to start any dev diaries, which is where we'll get specifics.
There are dev diaries announced?

A customizable UI is cool (and MUCH needed given the horriible state of the standard solution imho) but that doesn't solve the "problem" with PC controls. Different topic.

We have two months before release and CDPR didn't show us any footage of gameplay and the UI with mouse and keyboard although the game is feature complete for a few weeks now.

Is anybody else concerned about this as well? Are we PC gamers kind of second class customers that have to buy the pig in a poke at release after not even getting the "full" collector's edition? We shall preorder, of course, but they haven't shown us anything about PC controls (not even speaking about ultra footage) so far... :/

Preview event for journalists: people were not allowed to play the game with mouse/keyboard.
PAX East: people are not allowed to play the game with mouse/keyboard (or: at all).

Yeah. Just the fact that they're allegedly still working on the mouse/keyboard control system/UI and haven't shown any of it at all raises some cautionary flags. I seem to recall the same thing happening with Bioware before Dragon Age: Inquisition was released -- they would always play on gamepads when they were showing footage and, as we all know, the PC UI and PC controls for that game turned out to be terrible. I just have this bad feeling that, like DAI, the entire UI and control system is optimized for consoles and PC/MKB players are going to get the shaft. Of course, we don't know that yet, and the MKB controls could very well turn out to be great, but I just hope CDPR doesn't follow in the footsteps of Bioware in that regard.

It won't be as bad. First of all Witcher 3 is not that different than W2, and they were making that game mainly for PC. Second of all W3 won't have coop mode with different persepctives and so on.

It won't be as bad. First of all Witcher 3 is not that different than W2, and they were making that game mainly for PC. Second of all W3 won't have coop mode with different persepctives and so on.

TW2 was bad UI wise because of consolization. Even EE fixed it only that much. UI suffered from many usability issues which wouldn't have been there if not for consoles.

It won't be as bad. First of all Witcher 3 is not that different than W2, and they were making that game mainly for PC.
Hm, define "as bad". TW2 already was a bad compromise and I'm afraid to tell you that TW3 isn't mainly made for PC anymore. It's actually the other way round...

Second of all W3 won't have coop mode with different persepctives and so on.
How does this make anything better? A bad compromise UI and not perfect PC controls are ok because there is no co-op? Sorry, but good controls and a good UI and stuff are a basic need and demand for me in games, just because I have to cope with that all the time while I play the game. It's easily the most important thing in video games imo, much more important than graphics or anything. It's the way how the player is connected to the game at every given time. Good controls are everything imo. A theoretically great game can be literally crushed by shoddy controls and tiresome and tedious UI and stuff.

UI suffered from many usability issues which wouldn't have been there if not for consoles.
To be fair and more precise, it suffered from catering to controllers, not necessarily consoles in the first place. UI and controls in TW2 were a weak compromise between two very different input methods without the effort to cater to each one in the best way individually (like e.g. Blizzard did for Diablo 3). It's a huge SHAME that CDPR obviously don't care about that and will just give everyone the same weak compromise solution again which favor the controller gamers and hinders the possiblities and user experience of the mouse/keyboard gamers.

Last edited:
TW2 was bad UI wise because of consolization. Even EE fixed it only that much. UI suffered from many usability issues which wouldn't have been there if not for consoles.
I'm not talking about UI (which on PC was worse than present W3 UI on consoles), but about controls. I actually don't give a sh** about UI because mods will propably fix that and after all what they showed us is satisfactionary for me.

And I didn't have any complaints about controls on pc, I liked it actually.

How does this make anything better? A bad compromise UI and not perfect PC controls are ok because there is no co-op? Sorry, but good controls and a good UI and stuff are a basic need and demand for me in games, just because I have to cope with that all the time while I play the game. It's easily the most important thing in video games imo, much more important than graphics or anything. It's the way how the player is connected to the game at every given time. Good controls are everything imo. A theoretically great game can be literally crushed by shoddy controls and tiresome and tedious UI and stuff.
So many empty words... Of course it is important, but CD projekt red is very experienced in this area and after all as I said W3 is basically the same game as W2 + horse riding and ranged weapon.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about UI (which on PC was worse than present W3 UI on consoles), but about controls. I actually don't give a sh** about UI because mods will propably fix that and after all what they showed us is satisfactionary for me.
Well, mods never really fixed it for TW2 so I highly doubt mods will fix it in TW3...

So many empty words...
Stopped reading.

Well, mods never really fixed it for TW2 so I highly doubt mods will fix it in TW3...
W2 wasn't that popular. W3 is gonna be one of the most popular games on all 3 platforms and will have big open world, so it will be actually worth moding.

Stopped reading.
Than you missed a lot.

This panic in every thread is overwhelming. It is especially of you don't know nothing about it and can't see if it is actually bad. So hold your horses until game release at least in this case.

Last edited:
W2 wasn't that popular. W3 is gonna be one of the most popular games on all 3 platforms and will have big open world, so it will be actually worth moding.
1) Nobody makes mods for console games. Mods are mostly a PC thing
2) Mods are made by passionate people for games which are worth the effort. TW2 was VERY popular among its fanbase.
3) The availability of good modding tools is key to good mods. NWN never was that popular but it still has a huge modding community because of its tools. The RedKit isn't even remotely on the same level imo. It's for example very hard to mod the UI just because it's made in a certain way.

This panic in every thread is overwhelming. It is especially of you don't know nothing about it and can't see if it is actually bad. So hold your horses until game release at least in this case.
There is no panic at all in this thread. People are just voicing their fears and concerns. Speculative? Yes. Captain Obvious very much. Maybe we should close the whole board until the game is released because we should all hold our horses until then. And maybe we should keep it closed after that as well because the game is already released and done and we can't change it anyway... ;)

I'd say half the reason Skyrim was as successful as it was was the modding community. I'm pretty sure CDP Red has other things to do now, but in my opinion releasing the Toolkit to W3 as early as possible (and making it as robust as possible) is *extremely* important to the popularity and longevity of this game. Not to mention it's a bow to the PC community in general.

I'd say half the reason Skyrim was as successful as it was was the modding community. I'm pretty sure CDP Red has other things to do now, but in my opinion releasing the Toolkit to W3 as early as possible (and making it as robust as possible) is *extremely* important to the popularity and longevity of this game. Not to mention it's a bow to the PC community in general.
I'd say releasing good and carefully optimized PC controls and UI is even much more important...

If something is good in the first place there is no need for mods.

I'd say releasing good and carefully optimized PC controls and UI is even much more important...

Show me a game and I can name you at least 50 of its elements which can be done better. No such thing as perfection, everything can be made better. Making sure the game is solid in first place is a top priority for sure, but do not underestimate the power of a robust and talented modding community.

Show me a game and I can name you at least 50 of its elements which can be done better. No such thing as perfection, everything can be made better. Making sure the game is solid in first place is a top priority for sure, but do not underestimate the power of a robust and talented modding community.
I have quit messing around with mods long ago on a greater scale tbh. I do use some graphical ones from time to time but that's it.

I want a good game for my money, not a sandbox editor for amateurs to mess around with, sorry.

And I surely don't want to wait weeks and months for improvements. Mods are good if you replay a game after a few years, like I did recently with DA:O. But for the first playthrough right after release - the most important one with the biggest effect imo - mods are almost non-existent even if you have good tools and a talented community. Point is: the game itself has to be as good as possible for me. Mods and modding tools are great - but never an excuse for bad elements in the first place.

This panic in every thread is overwhelming. It is especially of you don't know nothing about it and can't see if it is actually bad. So hold your horses until game release at least in this case.[/QUOTE]

Ever heard the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire"? That's a prime example of what I believe what is going on here. But that's how my brain is wired, if all the information available (albeit circumstantial) points to 1 conclusion....odds are good that's what is going to happen.

I personally think we are in store for a crappy console port with a crappy console UI and crappy console controls. Hope I get proven wrong though. Sadly that is just the way the gaming business is going these days. Build the game and base it on the Least common denominator which in this case is the consoles. So you start with all the limitation the consoles have controls/power/other and that gets handed down to the PC community like a boat anchor around our necks. It makes sense from a business decision to save the money on doing this correctly because so many of the mouth breathers out there will pay for the shoddy work anyway lol.

Stepping off my soap box meow ;)/.

So I red some article where someone stated that mouse and keyboard controls are not completely finished, and PS4 an X1 controlers are, I am considering playing W3 on Pc with my PS4 controler. I am sure that M+K controls will be great, but if I want to play it on PC with my PS4 controler, would I be able to, or that can only be done with X1 controler?

I agree with this 100%. And I think the entire gaming industry can learn from what happened when Bioware released a PC game (DAI) that was totally NOT suitable for KB&M. They are now scrambling trying to patch in better controls, but it's not looking great for them...
I think CD Projekt RED takes more pride in their work and the fact that they are not owned by a company like EA is very promising. They don't have executives looking over their shoulder, telling them to make it appeal to the entire gaming market. They have integrity, which can't be said for all developers these days.

I am pretty confident we won't be disappointed.

So I red some article where someone stated that mouse and keyboard controls are not completely finished, and PS4 an X1 controlers are, I am considering playing W3 on Pc with my PS4 controler. I am sure that M+K controls will be great, but if I want to play it on PC with my PS4 controler, would I be able to, or that can only be done with X1 controler?
You can play games on PC usually with whatever controller you want. There is no restriction at all to the Xbox one.

And about that statement about the PC controls being not finalized: it was said during the hands-on event in Janauary. That' was almost two months ago. Now we're probably only days ago from the final gold master for the retail versions and the PC controls are STILL not done? Hm...

And about that statement about the PC controls being not finalized: it was said during the hands-on event in Janauary. That' was almost two months ago. Now we're probably only days ago from the final gold master for the retail versions and the PC controls are STILL not done? Hm...

Has there been a more recent update on this? I don't recall hearing any interviews or snippets from PAX where the Devs stated the PC Controls are STILL not done.

Trust me, I'm sitting here just as worried as you are, but there is still a little more time than days for the gold master (Probably more like a Month). Although at this point it would be pretty much inexcusable to not have the PC controls locked down, and if there's any really recent statements regarding the controls still not being done, then that really is cause for concern.

Top Bottom