PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
I hope there won't be forced mouse acceleration. It is like playing game at 15 fps. I just want hardware mouse controls, remappable keys and grid inventory where i can see all my items on one page.

All this discussion about gamepads and M&K make me curious about buying a gamepad just to experience what the difference actually is.

Slow and inaccurate. Seriously, it's night and day unless you're playing a platformer, fighting game or driving in the likes of GTA.

Sure would be nice for the Devs to pop their head in and make a comment on this. Having next to no information on the Controls and UI for the PC platform is troubling at best...

As it gets closer to release it looks more and more like an calculated attempt to hide this information from possible pre-orderers. It seems like they don't want to comment on something they know is sub-par for sake of saving some pre-order sales.

Last edited:
Modders managed to create mods for dark souls that fix m&k support in that game. Only thing i hope for controls in tw3 is to be less broken than dark souls on release. Either way even with absolute broken m&k support i am still going to play this game with m&k, i detest controllers. Though it's pity that once pc dev is treating default pc input as afterthought.

Last edited:
It's not like the k&m controls are bad or something, as the Gamestar guy said it plays like Witcher 2.

I'm sure they'll get it done until release.

Sure would be nice for the Devs to pop their head in and make a comment on this. Having next to no information on the Controls and UI for the PC platform is troubling at best...

As it gets closer to release it looks more and more like an calculated attempt to hide this information from possible pre-orderers. It seems like they don't want to comment on something they know is sub-par for sake of saving some pre-order sales.

Moderator: Comments accusing anybody of dishonesty may be summarily deleted and members warned or suspended.

Modders managed to create mods for dark souls that fix m&k support in that game. Only thing i hope for controls in tw3 is to be less broken than dark souls on release. Either way even with absolute broken m&k support i am still going to play this game with m&k, i detest controllers. Though it's pity that once pc dev is treating default pc input as afterthought.

DSfix did not fix the issue on Dark Souls, far from it. It just made abit more bearable. However i am 100% possitive that on TW3 is not going to be that bad, and i mean the fixed version.

DSfix did not fix the issue on Dark Souls, far from it. It just made abit more bearable. However i am 100% possitive that on TW3 is not going to be that bad, and i mean the fixed version.

I am thinking more about of combo DSfix + DSMfix + unlocking 60 fps. Without unlocking 60 fps the mouse controls are still broken. Every time your framerate drops, the controls start to stutter. I managed to finish this game multiple times and i ended up loving it, even though at the beginning i hated it with passion. Here, that's how it looks with fixed m&k: http://a.pomf.se/auisxh.webm

I am thinking more about of combo DSfix + DSMfix + unlocking 60 fps. Without unlocking 60 fps the mouse controls are still broken. Every time your framerate drops, the controls start to stutter. I managed to finish this game multiple times and i ended up loving it, even though at the beginning i hated it with passion. Here, that's how it looks with fixed m&k: http://a.pomf.se/auisxh.webm

Yeah i was using DSfix+DSMfix as well, but on 30 FPS, cause 60 would get you banned from online, and i managed to beat the game up to NG+7, but i really hated the world while doing it. When i installed DS2 for the first time i almost screamed Hallelujah and had tears of joy, since now i could ennjoy the game with optimised mouse movement(despite the problems on menus etc.). Anyway i think we are offtopic :p

It's not like the k&m controls are bad or something, as the Gamestar guy said it plays like Witcher 2.

I'm sure they'll get it done until release.

That is not good. TW2's M&K controls were heavily flawed. I addressed this in a dedicated thread. Essentially M&K controls lacked the ability to dodge in a direction without moving the camera, which is a huge disadvantage in the combat. But frankly I could accept taht as long as they make the menus friendlier to M&K.

That is not good. TW2's M&K controls were heavily flawed. I addressed this in a dedicated thread. Essentially M&K controls lacked the ability to dodge in a direction without moving the camera, which is a huge disadvantage in the combat. But frankly I could accept taht as long as they make the menus friendlier to M&K.

I fail to grasp on that.

"Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse" on Gamestar.de impression.

This felt very, very sad for me. First the menus and UI looks very casualized and PC gamers will be forced with the same simplistic UI and then now the native input device for playing games like Keyboard and Mouse are inferior to a controller.

Last edited:

This felt very, very sad for me. First the menus and UI looks very casualized and PC gamers will be forced with the same simplistic UI and then now the native input device for playing games like Keyboard and Mouse are inferior to a controller.
The Witcher 2 had similar issues.

From a PC gamer's perspective, multiplatform development will always suck. It's just the way it is. :-

From a PC gamer's perspective, multiplatform development will always suck. It's just the way it is. :-

I'm not so sure why it has to be that way. I mean input devices and menus are much easier than said complicated graphics and visuals. They really can make 2 separate UIs and Menus and approrpriate controls for each input devices. When you see a game ported to consoles, their UI changes and controls are confirmed to be enhanced. But why PC gamers need to suffer where as they are playing the game that controller is the way meant to play games? Devs put no emphasis on this concern since the beginning and they have not made any comments thus far as well. This kind of put me off.

One thing to remember is a keyboard will quite simply never match a controller's sticks because Analog vs Digital, you cannot half push a key and get half the result, it's either a 1 or a 0, there is no '0.5'. Meanwhile you can do that on a controller, half push a stick and get slower movement etc. progressively move a stick forward to have different speeds of movement.

The same impression also says that will be improved by release but I guess we're gonna ignore that part.

This felt very, very sad for me. First the menus and UI looks very casualized
How did you arrive to this conclusion? What's a 'hardcore' UI then, it has death metal blaring everytime you open a menu?

Last edited:
One thing to remember is a keyboard will quite simply never match a controller's sticks because Analog vs Digital, you cannot half push a key and get half the result, it's either a 1 or a 0, there is no '0.5'. Meanwhile you can do that on a controller, half push a stick and get slower movement etc.

The same impression also says that will be improved by release but I guess we're gonna ignore that part.

How did you arrive to this conclusion? What's a 'hardcore' UI then, it has death metal blaring everytime you open a menu?

I very much agree with you on the controller stick. I'm still wondering for many years why haven't the keyboard been enhanced with a thumb stick (like the ones on a controller). For your info, i have both KB&M and a xbox controller. With a left thumbstick beside the Spacebar and with a programmable 6 button high DPI mouse that will be the best gaming experience for me. But of course KB&M cannot beat a controller for portability.

As for the menus and UI that i've seen the one shown on GDC latest trailer, that UI and menus work best for playing games on a big TV sitting in a couch sleeping and with a controller. I've discussed and provided countless examples on menus and UIs for PC long time ago and devs couldn't be bother much as their main focus clearly are the consoles and controllers. This of course is my opinion and i'm entitled to it based on what feel and observed.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but you're on a discussion board, where you have to explain and defend your opinion against other contrary opinions :p

I can't say about the TV/console/controller experience simply not my thing, what I will say is I think a good UI would be the one where icons exist BUT aren't very small and you don't need to hover your mouse over them to know what they are, Witcher 1 did this and it was annoying. Witcher 2's lists I like, they clearly list what each thing is AND have icons but there's a lot of scrolling involved BUT they have categories. I guess find both approaches flawed in that regard.

The thing is, in both Witcher 1 and 2, you didn't have to use a lot of items, you only had to keep track of a few things which you may need that can easily be remember looking at a few coloured icons and the rest were very specific circumstances because it's 'linear' in the sense that it has a specific design, it's not 'random' it's very meticulously planned. This changes with TW3, it's an open world, I'll have to constantly dive into the menu and use plenty of items compared to the previous two. So I'm divided on it. But I wouldn't say this translates to 'casualized'. This doesn't fit anywhere on the casual/hardcore dichotomy.

I should admit playing with a controller grows on you after a whil, even if you do not like it at first, and you'll become fund of it. At least I learned to appreciate it.
Sadly this hasn't been the case with me, I've been playing games on the NES, PSOne, PS2 and even some on the PS3 but a controller just doesn't sit well with me. I like extreme precision. So a 1000hz polling mouse at 3500DPI constantly is what works for me :p The controller has its advantages but it just does not work for me personally.

Last edited:
I am a PC gamer, and I have come to the realization that purchasing a controller is a good and necessary investment.
I know it does not seem fair, and I also feel that Mouse/Keyboard is superior if it is implemented properly. But unfortunately most multi-platform games are developed to work best with a PS4/XBone controller. The consoles are the main deriving force in today's market, and it is the reality that I have made my peace with.
Most gaming rigs cost $1000+, and investing an extra 60$ on a PS4 controller should not be that much of a big deal. I should admit playing with a controller grows on you after a while, even if you do not like it at first, and you'll become fund of it. At least I learned to appreciate it.

Last edited:

Not from a control standpoint. M&K doesn't need to be inferior for PC. MOTN, Dishonored, Arkham games. Saint's Row, etc , all multiplat games, some console first IPs, and all had impeccable M&K controls. I don't ascribe to PC gamers getting table scraps here. If they pull the designed for gamepads UI again, well, that sends a message.

@shawn_kh
Eh I still don't see the point in doing that. Even games developed primarily for Gamepads, like the Arkham Series or AssCreed, have IMO STILL felt better to play on a KB/M. Just absolutely NOTHING tops the precision of a mouse, the ability to rotate a camera MUCH faster than a stick can and just in general make much faster and precise decisions regarding just about any Gameplay scenario.
The Souls series is literally the only "Multiplat" games ever where I've used a Gamepad over KB/M, simply because both 1 & 2 had such botched port jobs that all the pop-ups and descriptions had Xbox buttons on them. DSMouseFix wasn't working for me, so I just said "Fuck it" and used a Gamepad.
Even then I've heard people who played it with KB/M who still said the experience was better because they didn't have to rely so much on lock-on and could react quicker to enemies movements due to faster camera panning etc.

It's kind of sad these days to see so many PC Gamers just downplay KB/M Controls and make out like as if just because it's developed for a Console means you should be using a Gamepad - most of them probably don't even TRY to use KB/M because they've got this strange notion that it'll play like shit. (Not you of course mate, but many people do)
I would honestly never buy a Gamepad if I didn't already have one from my Console purchase - put that $60 towards your next GPU upgrade.

Sure, the Gamerstar guy said that the M/KB controls are a bit iffy, but perhaps he thought TW2's controls were terrible in the first place? Or maybe he's more of a Gamepad fan in general? It's hard to know exactly, and whilst I certainly think Gamepads moved way up the priority scale when it came to controls in TW3, that still doesn't mean the M/KB controls is going to be awful. I've been a little 'doomsday' previously in the thread, but TW2's KB/M control I felt was still great, and it seems like TW3 is going to be roughly the same, so I reckon it will STILL control better with KB/M unless they've severely fucked something up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom