PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
I checked out the Gamespot stream and Danny O Dwyer says he played with Keyboard and Mouse during his special preview and said that "keyboard and mouse seems to fits a bit better." Then after a little more time with the controller he says "its way harder to control with a controller, yowzer". Take from that what you will.

Well, IIRC Danny is a seasoned PC gamer himself so I suppose he's used to mouse/keyboard controls. It's good to hear that he actually prefers M/T in Witcher 3 but it doesn't solve the problem that the game is most likely quite unoptimized for that kind of input, especially the UI elements.

And after all, sometimes it's hard to seperate "controls" from "gameplay/design". Sometimes the implementation of controls are bad, sometimes it's already the underlying design that's bad. You can't really know that without a serious assessment.

Well, IIRC Danny is a seasoned PC gamer himself so I suppose he's used to mouse/keyboard controls. It's good to hear that he actually prefers M/T in Witcher 3 but it doesn't solve the problem that the game is most likely quite unoptimized for that kind of input, especially the UI elements.

And after all, sometimes it's hard to seperate "controls" from "gameplay/design". Sometimes the implementation of controls are bad, sometimes it's already the underlying design that's bad. You can't really know that without a serious assessment.

I'm not posting it as proof that one control scheme is better than the other. I mentioned it because many comments seem to hang on the words of Gamestar saying that he prefers the controller. Here we have another press guy suggesting the exact opposite.

Here you can see the gameplay with M+K.. https://youtu.be/0IeFcFOgcQA?t=7m40s
Some things I noticed: in the map menu, you need to use Enter to Zoom?.. I really hope that I can use mith mouse wheel..
And when his using the radial menu, you can press Space to go into meditation?.. that would be cool..
Don't like that in menus you need to press the arrows (or use keys) to go through the whole menu to go where you want to go.. yeah, I know that we can use keys(like M for map, I for inventory, etc.) but it would be nice to use only mouse and with just one click to go from map to Inventory, or to go to glossary, etc..

No I thought it was actually on-topic but I'm not a mod so whatever I'll shut up. At least they're using grid inventory this time.

From what i've seen of the UI.....it would work extremely well with M+K, so no need for a completely different one.
I agree, if anything it's even better because you can just select what you want with the mouse without going through each option.

According to Michael Graf of German Gamestar who probably played the PC version for the longest time so far and who also played the PS4 version to completion the unified UI across PC and consoles and general the lacking control pattern/optimization is among the three top worst elements of the game...

Quote (translated):
"The combat is really good with a gamepad, much better than with the overloaded mouse and keyboard control scheme. The menus however are not really designed for gamepad controls, at least not all. All too often I have to scroll through lists and icons. With the mouse however the menu controlling isn't perfect neither. Both input methods are rather subpar. In case of doubt I would recommend the gamepad though."

Well done, CDPR, well done.

:facepalm:

And now it is DEFINITELY going off-topic. So back to it, please.

How is that off-topic when I quote a review in which the reviewer speaks about mouse and keyboard controls and how they perform compared to controller input? Sorry, but the UI is a core element of controlling a game as it is combat and movment controls. I couldn't think of anything that is more ON topic...

How is that off-topic when I quote a review in which the reviewer speaks about mouse and keyboard controls and how they perform compared to controller input? Sorry, but the UI is a core element of controlling a game as it is combat and movment controls. I couldn't think of anything that is more ON topic...

You posted while I was writing - it was the posts above yours.
Thank you for going back on-topic :)

So, can we cast a sign with one key press like in TW2? Like for example I can have igni assigned to MB4 and aard to MB5. Or do I have to fiddle around with selecting the sign first and then casting it?

According to X or Y they say controllers are better for this game....I DON'T CARE! I'm a PC gamer I will play with the default control configuration damn it..I've been doing it for the past 15+ years.

And no..right stick to control camera instead of the mouse is NOT better. Having keybindings for every SIGN and action is BETTER than having to go into radial menu every single freaking time you want to cast one (a sign). I have played Witcher 2 NINE times with mouse and keyboard and I finished the game 3-4 times on Dark Difficulty...and yes I do have a controller as well and I have tested it to see how it is (it freaking sucks in my opinion).

Can you people stop trying to shove this "controllers are better for this game" ideal down our throats because it's not true.

Mouse and Keyboard is the perfect combination for all games (except for platformers and Souls games with broken m&K configuration..shitty PC ports notwithstanding).

Well i wouldnt say keyboard is perfect....i would love analogue movement tbh. but i agree that a mouse (especially with more buttons) cant be beaten for accuracy.

Top Bottom