PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
I repeat myself.
M/K in combat is atrocious.

The real problem with m/k in combat is that to directing a dodge, you can use only WASD, just 1:1 with console scheme. the problem is...while with the left stick on console you have a 360° control, you are limited in 8 direction with WASD. In The Witcher 2 using m/k in combat was good because roll direction was controlled by mouse.
This, and the fact that there is no distinction in "key rebinding" between in combat controls and out of combat controls, are the biggest issues.

This really needs some extra work.

And really, it's necessary to improve the controls.
Now I understand why the youtubers didn't play with mouse and keyboard. Seriosuly CDPR, what happened to you?

Interact isn't rebindeable? That's bullcrap.

As it is right now, unless i am missing something, there 2 HUGE issues:

1) If you use the default settings, there are default buttons that have double and triple functions, depending on the situation(in combat, out of combat, mounting etc.). If i decide to change a button say in combat, then it automatically overwrittes the functions of said button in ALL situations. Yeah you can change interract, but if you bind in on left click, then left click loses all it's effectiveness in combat as well. EG. With Spacebar i jump and roll, depending if i am in combat or not. If i want to change space to dodging, while in combat, then suddenly is not possible to use it to jump as well OUTSIDE of combat. It just overwrites everything.

2) It does not seem to be a way for more complex binding, like bind something to double click, or bind something to holding down X and clicking.

Normally I play all games on EDSF, not WASD. Why can't I change the settings for the walk-buttons like in every other game? Please fix it, it really sucks when you cannot play in the way you are used to be

Agreed.. as posted on other thread...

Yes for being FULLY rebindable per Dev it is very lacking, not only are things like quick save hard coded yet once more... but also certain keys could not be bound. I kept getting can't do that here. Wonder if that had to do with the keys being used for a double binding as I was trying to do WASD to other things as well as maybe those for said menu items that are hard bound...

---------- Updated at 08:45 AM ----------

there 2 HUGE issues:

Make that 3
3. Can't remap certain functions period (character, inventory, journal, etc)...not all are even listed (quick save isn't)

Kinda glad I didn't preorder. This game is a hot mess on PC control wise. Not as bad as DAI but pretty close. Guess my deleted post by the MODS about where there was smoke there was fire were accurate all along...in respect to the intentional lack of details on PC controls.

Hope they patch this up Quickly for everyone that bought the game day 1 or pre-ordered.

I've gotta confess: I don't actually understand why it's so hard. It doesn't seem outlandishly difficult to add completely rebindable keys as well as context sensitive key mapping, especially so since that's working per default with a controller.

Make that 4 huge issues:

I cannot bind the casting of a specific sign to a button, like in Witcher 2. I can bind the selection of a specific sign to a button, and then cast it with "Q", or pull up the menu and select it, then cast with "Q", but both of these are a waste of time. In combat, particularly on the harder settings, there is no time for this. Let us bind the casting of each sign to a individual buttons, like we could in Witcher 2.

Honestly, i am finding the default scheme just fine..........apart from the dodge key, need to find a better key for that.

Ok, issues 1 and 3 can be resolved if you rebind your buttons by editing the ini file outside the game. There you can change Spacebar functionality in Combat, without actually screwing everything up like it would within the game menu. Also you can rebind keys that you ain;t able through the ingame menu. It's a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Now i wonder how can you bind something to Double Mouse Click through the ini file. If anybody knows, i will be eternally thankfull.

I also am a ESDF player. To me thats just the natural typing possition, and just plain feels better. I'm disappointed in CDPred, never thought they would do the same mistake others have done for PC players.

I would love developers to include ESDF as a choice since there are so many of us using ESDF, Without having to remap them, just choose WASD or ESDF inside the game.

Needles to say that i am disapointed that sych objectively serious issues have come up, and no dev(or mod for that matter) have shown any interest.

So, stupid question. How in the Nine Hells does one use the crossbow on PC?

Tab to bring up the selection wheel, select crossbow (bottom center). Hold down middle mouse to aim and release to fire. This assumes you are fighting/have fought the griffin and actually have the cross bow and that your mouse has a MMB. It is the same as throwing a bomb. Haha if you don't have a MMB then get a new mouse.

Tab to bring up the selection wheel, select crossbow (bottom center). Hold down middle mouse to aim and release to fire. This assumes you are fighting/have fought the griffin and actually have the cross bow and that your mouse has a MMB. It is the same as throwing a bomb. Haha if you don't have a MMB then get a new mouse.

Thank You! I'm pretty sure I didn't see the crossbow in the selection wheel however, despite having it equipped. Time to check again.

First impressions: The controls with m&k sucks. There are some serious problems with responsiveness, you are steering geralt like a tank. The responsiveness and smoothness of witcher 2 is gone. Mouse implementation in itself isn't half bad when you turn off vsync and frame limitations, the problem lies in the keyboard and lags between input and geralt's reaction. For now i would suggest using controller, wild hunt has worse m&k support than modded dark souls and dark souls 2.

There is good reason why they forced people to play with controller.

Last edited:
First impressions: The controls with m&k sucks. There are some serious problems with responsiveness, you are steering geralt like a tank. The responsiveness and smoothness of witcher 2 is gone. Mouse implementation in itself isn't half bad when you turn off vsync and frame limitations, the problem lies in the keyboard and lags between input and geralt's reaction. For now i would suggest using controller, wild hunt has worse m&k support than modded dark souls and dark souls 2.

There is good reason why they forced people to play with controller.
0.0 sounds pretty serious.
let's hope they solve this very soon.

TL;DR entire thread but to remap certain keys (like movement keys) you have to edit the input.settings file under C:\users...etc.

Left handed K&M?

Any chance we'll be able to rebind everything any time soon?

I'm left handed & its kind of unplayable for me at the moment, I use IJKL as movement keys & base everything around them.

this was all possible in the Witcher 2. I saw the post above about input. settings but that's abit much for me.

I understand this is a consoles come first release & I really don't want to sound negative but the whole free DLC thing means alot less to me than being able to play comfortably, the game's looking great & the little I saw of the intro was impressive but for the time being I'll shelve it & follow update notes.

So, stupid question. How in the Nine Hells does one use the crossbow on PC?
Don't use it :)
I just beat Griffin on max difficulty with level 3 Geralt, without ever using it. Took me about 10 tries.
As for controls to me it works fine, responsive, I encountered some bug, when I couldn't move for a while, but other wise it's ok.
Took me a while to figure how to rebind the keys I spent like 30 min fighting with Vesemir in order to get used to (default setting sux, why would you ever put Witcher senses on the most easy to use button?).
Dodge on Right mouse, Shift for heavy strike, Parry and Cast Sign on mouse thumb buttons FTW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom