PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
Yeah, MKB controls aren't the best. Camera movement is a bit slick. Some binds you can't change. Others are multi-bind. I use Shift to Parry, sooo...

Still, a minor quibble for me and perfectly adjustable in my brain spaces. Actually less annoying than everytime Geralt vaults over the rump of Roach. Just..can't..stand that!

If you are very particular about your binds, you may want to wait. If you can adjust how you play a bit, you should be fine.

I play on Death March, and I don't die...any more than in less difficulties? So it's doable.

Eight hours in and I manage with the current binds. Though it's not optimal. I wonder why devs haven't the same control setup regarding Geralt being on foot or riding Roach. I'm thinking of run/walk sprint canter/gallop merge.

EDIT: Counted the hours and it's more like eight hours. Easy to lose track of time when playing this game. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So is this a console port again? With no rebind for signs available and sluggish mouse to combat moves? I am asking this, not stating this.

First post just to say: I really hope that there will be improvements with the PC controls. UI is ok, but controls themselves are reminding me of the pain I faced in a certain other game.

The game is really different playing with a controller, its smooth and more responsive. KB/M is like playing Dark Souls again. So it means: the game was made for consoles, being rushed to port to pc. Lets wait a couple of months for some patches to fix it.

TBH I didn't preorder this game because the last one (DAO) I was very upset about the KBM controls. After that I decided to not preorder a game again. love this series,I have played the other 2 when they were released, but I will wait to purchase this game until I hear better things about the KBM. Please do not bash me about this or tell me to use a controller.

You're not going to see the M/KB controls "fixed", because the core issues don't lie in the binds, but deeply rooted in the core movement of Geralt (Both in combat and out).
I don't even think mods could help you there.

I've gotten used to the controls now I think. I still feel like suck at the combat (on broken bones), but at least navigating is not really a problem anymore.

You're not going to see the M/KB controls "fixed", because the core issues don't lie in the binds, but deeply rooted in the core movement of Geralt (Both in combat and out).

Sadly you have right.
I hope in some HUGE patch, because this is really bad.

I for sure will not pre order Cyberpunk. I really dislike when PC version is...rushed so hard.

The game is really different playing with a controller, its smooth and more responsive. KB/M is like playing Dark Souls again. So it means: the game was made for consoles, being rushed to port to pc. Lets wait a couple of months for some patches to fix it.

agreed, a review of the PC version, done by a french website seems to suggest that:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/test/426147/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-l-ouverture-d-un-monde.htm

summary (regarding the PC version) :
- not a huge difference between high and ultra settings.

- a well optimized build with shorter times for loading and fast travel

- excellent graphics but do not match the initial gameplay videos that were released

- an inconsistant quality lightning system in the game

- physics can be unpredictible sometimes

- water rendering not very convincing

- the UI and gameplay felt more optimised for the use of a game pad

In my case, the controls with keyboard and mouse are excellent. I don't know if this is a problem with some configurations or what but i have no problem with it.

Is there any information regarding whether the key binding has been acknowledged by CDPR at all? I'm in two minds as to whether I should send my CE version back, as £130 is far too much if I can't remap my keys to play left-handed.

I actually seen an FAQ on here that stated a month before release that all keys could be remapped. If I'm being lied to about something, then I shouldn't be expected to keep their game.

Guest 3537857

Didn't read the thread, but I assume the devs are reading it probably.

So here's my 5 orens:
1. Make Key Binds "context":
out of combat on foot;
in combat on foot;
out of combat on a horse;
in combat on a horse.
OR AT LEAST - On a horse/Not on a horse!

It will allow to bind several actions to same key.

For example: "Shift" key
not in combat on foot - Sprint
in combat on foot - Dodge
on the horse - Canter/Gallop

You practically did it with Witcher Senses.
But if the player unbinds it from Right Mouse Button he can't bind it to another key which used in combat only.

Also make Witcher Senses TOGGLEABLE! All PC players will say "Thanks you CD Project"!

2. CALL THE SAME GUYS WHO DESIGNED PC KEY BINDS FOR Witcher 2 and pay them well to make actually playable key binds for mouse and keyboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone from the moderator is reading this.. sorry for my rant..

The controller is actually ok, considering many of the controller systems were created for the console. I had worse, and it is not that annoying.. it is actually enjoyable.

I have posted this 2-3 times in other places, waiting to get noticed. This is about that annoying in combat bug; In some combat where u are overcrowded by some enemies (in quests for example).. some buttons are just.. stop working.. In some places it is the Left mouse button... (only in game, it is ok in the menus). Sometimes it is main weapons related buttons (q,c,1,2). Itis game braking bug.. i cannot hope to continue my quest by attacking my enemies only with agni...

Having issues using signs with my mouse side buttons (Logitech G602), other than that, the controls are excellent. No use here for instant response, turn on a dime controls...they feel more 'real', how it takes time to adjust direction.

Well.. they should at least tell us that you can only one sign on a horse (example).. other than that.. it is ok. I remember the first time i have to play AC... or FIFA games nowadays. I hate controllers.. i love my keyboards and mouse.

Using ESDF instead of WASD

Thanks for allowing us to re program our movement buttons first of all.

This has unfortunately created a new problem, when i get in a boat its virtually unusable as the motion keys are hard wired to E for release tiller and S for stop,

Can you allow us to use different keys for these functions as well please so I don't have to swim everywhere, even had to swim to Ciri, that was a long swim!

Thanks

Controller Port not a Console Port

Actually that's not the issue, it was made first and formost for all three platforms, but made on PC.
The real issue is it was also first made for controllers, which all three can use, not keyboard and mouse which is only for PC's.
All the hard wired stuff is down to the controllers limited buttons set, forcing hardwired switching between functions. This only impacts K&M users if they insist on rebinding the controls CDPR locked for good reasons.

As a K&M user, I like most, tend to like using the same controls with every game, but I can always adapt to the realities of a situation. The unlocking of the keys, led to me setting my usual choices. I quickly reverted to the locked positions, when the reason they were locked became blatantly obvious.
Hard wired turn off mechanic, even when unlocked by CDPR, as with every mod out there.

For me, the end result is, I just got used to the default settings. With only one switch, I'd already managed to set that using a mod, but CDPR's unlocking, now makes the mod obsolete.

The switch I use, is simply between roll and dodge, while still keeping the jump on the Space bar.
Which on launch couldn't be done. I could probably have managed to get used to that one as well.

Due to having very short stubby fingers my usual must have change of keybinds is moving Ctrl and LShift upto LShift and Caps Lock.
So I have dodge on Space and Roll on Caps Lock, everything else has ended up back on CDPR's default settings.
Which are either already good enough or have sound hardwired reasons for them.

In the end it's a small price to pay, without the consoles, this game wouldn't exist, it's a hard fact of life.
Knowing that and knowing how poor all console ports are, simply due to the fact you can't upgrade a games quality.
The way to port a game is to start with the best and downgrade to the worst.
The price for that was to design the game for controllers and port it to Keyboard and Mouse.

Witcher 3 the Wild Hunt is a Controller Port and every PC gamer should rejoice in that decision, and be willing to pay the small price required.
Because a Controller Port is much better than a Console Port. A pure PC only game was never an option, it was never being made as one

Top Bottom