[PC] Possible fix to intermittent crashing/freezing | Decreasing GPU Core Clock worked for me. YMMV

+
[PC] Possible fix to intermittent crashing/freezing | Decreasing GPU Core Clock worked for me. YMMV

Since release, I have experienced game crashing anywhere from 2-15 minutes of playtime. It happened randomly and it didn't matter what I was doing. The screen turned black and I could hear in-game sound freeze a bit and resume, but still had a black screen. Sometimes the Nvidia drivers crashed and was recovered. I've tried these workarounds in many combinations: Turn off Vsync Set FPS limit to 30 or unlimited Go borderless windows or fullscreen Clean install new video drivers / clean install GTA5 version drivers Set power management mode to Prefer max performance in Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D setting Lower all settings Enabled k-boost to maintain GPU at 100% load None of these worked until... I decreased my GPU core clock. I have an Asus GTX 680 DCII TOP which normally has a base GPU clock of 1137 with 1201 boost. I decreased the base by 80 mhz to 1057. I now run FPS unlimited, borderless, GTA5 drivers, Prefer Max power management, and vsync on. My graphics quality are mostly high, medium shadows, no hair works. I've been playing for hours with no crash! I chose 80 mhz at random. I would try smaller numbers, but I have work tomorrow. I'm not tech savvy enough to explain why it worked for me. My GPU temperatures at normal settings (factory OC) were always below 65c so I don't think the crashing was due to overheating. I could play other games fine anyway. Hopefully this helps someone else.

---------- Updated at 08:00 AM ----------

Formatting fucked up from copy/paste and I can't edit my post. Since release, I have experienced game crashing anywhere from 2-15 minutes of playtime. It happened randomly and it didn't matter what I was doing. The screen turned black and I could hear in-game sound freeze a bit and resume, but still had a black screen. Sometimes the Nvidia drivers crashed and was recovered. I've tried these workarounds in many combinations: Turn off Vsync Set FPS limit to 30 or unlimited Go borderless windows or fullscreen Clean install new video drivers / clean install GTA5 version drivers Set power management mode to Prefer max performance in Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D setting Lower all settings Enabled k-boost to maintain GPU at 100% load None of these worked until... I decreased my GPU core clock. I have an Asus GTX 680 DCII TOP which normally has a base GPU clock of 1137 with 1201 boost. I decreased the base by 80 mhz to 1057. I now run FPS unlimited, borderless, GTA5 drivers, Prefer Max power management, and vsync on. My graphics quality are mostly high, medium shadows, no hair works. I've been playing for hours with no crash! I chose 80 mhz at random. I would try smaller numbers, but I have work tomorrow. I'm not tech savvy enough to explain why it worked for me. My GPU temperatures at normal settings (factory OC) were always below 65c so I don't think the crashing was due to overheating. I could play other games fine anyway. Hopefully this helps someone else.

---------- Updated at 08:06 AM ----------

This is so stupid. I can't edit my post for some reason to fix the formatting. Just go here: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36llk2/pc_possible_fix_to_intermittent_crashingfreezing/

I have the same card as you so will try it out. Regardless of it working or not thanks for posting your feedback and what you have tried. Fingers crossed it works for me too.

---------- Updated at 09:10 AM ----------

Well so far so good. Not a single crash as of yet. Thanks very much!

I have 660Ti and this solution works for me too (i think ;). I only tested it for 15 minutes, but before that i had windows crash every single minute. Since yesterday i couldn't finish even a tutorial in Kaer Mohren. Now i can ride even a horse! :D hehe

I hope it will no crash any more. Much thx for your solution dooooonut!

Top Bottom