(PC) RTX 3080/3090 Users FPS Drop with RT ON after 10-15 min / need game restart

+
Hello Guys and dear Cd Projektred team,

It seems a lot of us RTX 3080/3090 users are experiencing a sudden drop of FPS (at least 10 FPS if not more) after 10-15 min of game. It nevers comes back unless restarting the game. GPU usage is still showing 100%. It does not seem to be a memory leak issue as VRAM and RAM usage are the same as when it works well, nor all the rest (temps and power usage)

Game usually runs 30-45 FPS in 4K Ultra RTU DLSS Quality with my RTX 3080. After those 10-15 min it drops to 20-30fps. If I save and reload exactly where I saved my FPS come back to 'normal' levels. Same happens with lower levels of DLSS.

It does not happen to me when I play 4K Ultra no RT (and no DLSS) where the FPS are more stable (but not as high as I would like...)

BTW I find lately myself playing more often in 4K native Ultra. Because of the issue of quick degradation of performance and ...

Because to me DLSS even in quality setting show a significant drop in precision compared to native 4K. Native 4K even without Ray tracing makes such a difference in image quality !! I play on a 40 inch 4K at 2 feets. I can't understand when people say they don't see the difference between 4K native and DLSS Q or worse DLSS Performance which looks very blurry.

My configuration :

Ryzen 3900X@4.4Ghz all core watercooled
32 GB 3600 CL16
RTX 3080 PNY XLR8 @1920 mhz
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
SSD NVME
Windows 10 last update 20H2

At this point I don't know if this is an issue with Nvidia drivers or the game. I precise the issue is not present in my other games

Thanks

My spec is almost the same (a bit lower clock on CPU and GPU for less noise) as yours and I have the same issue. Also I noticed frame drops a lot when sit down and talk to NPCs during some missions. When the FPS gets lower the GPU usage stays high but GPU power gets much lower.

This sometimes happens to me too (5900x, RTX 3060ti). I have been monitoring with gpu-z and geforce experience overlay.

So my gpu has a power limit at around 200W and I'm undervolting the v/f curve with MSI afterburner so hits a peak of 1920mhz with a power limit around 175W. I'm at 76 degrees peak on the gpu which is 8 degrees below the stock thermal limit, so I'm not thermal throttling.

PCI bus = Gen 4. Bus interface load never exceeds 4% so the framedrops are not caused by that. What I do notice is that sometimes after alt tabbing back into the game, I can see power draw stuck between 120W and 140W, gpu usage 100%, gpu clock = 1905mhz. So I'm hitting close to absolute peak clocks, at full usage but for some reason power draw is abnormally low. I expect this to be 175W.

I run a lot of background applications and in some cases where I get abnormally low power draw in game, its when I have Substance Designer open in the background because I forget to close it.

Another example of where I get low power draw, 100% usage, gpu clock = 1920mhz is when I press esc to go to the ingame menu. Going back into the game normally shoots power draw back up to 175W.

Things I haven't tested yet: power settings. Currently I'm on a balanced power profile and in nvidia control panel, I have gpu not set to prefer max performance.

Another thing I need to test is prolonged gaming without a tonne of background applications. I mod the game these days much more than I play it so I almost always have a bunch of applications and mod tools running constantly. 4 or 5 explorer windows, web browser with dozens of tabs, 010 editor, photoshop, noesis, wolvenkit, wolvenkit CLI, blender, notepad++ and substance designer. Of those, substance designer is by far the biggest resource hog.

As an aside, I really disagree with blind bug reporting because it could turn out to be a really simple problem related to windows power management or another application. It could be a user error, but you'll never know unless you compare your findings with other people on a forum first. I have submitted several bugs to REDSupport but I'm mindful that they have a private issue tracker. If you want stuff fixed quickly, you can't clog their tracker with bogus reports.

Gather accurate data first, independently verify it. Collaboratively eliminate as many probable causes as possible, then submit a ticket.

Last edited:
I'm at 76 degrees peak on the gpu which is 8 degrees below the stock thermal limit, so I'm not thermal throttling.
GDDR6X gets extremely hot and your GPU could be thermal throttling because of your memory. What is your memory junction temperature when it throttles?

Although your problems compared to my light PC are almost foreign (the frame rate in RTX in 4K already in Prolog fell below 50 - e.g. video from Nomad's Prolog, I think that the fault is on the housing side and its inadequate ventilation. when the number and efficiency of the ventilation fans for the housing itself is too small.
Such glazed enclosures practically work like microwave ovens. So even if the CPU and graphics card fans were working at maximum speed, without proper ventilation of the case itself, the temperature of the whole thing will only increase (the laws of physics).
Maybe we will see a "traditional casing with an elegant heat sink, at least on one side, instead of glass thermal insulation with well-worn Led gadgets? to work efficiently on them and surf Online, and not to watch colorful effects like at fairs or shop windows?
Instead of a hint in the topic, address to a small video catalog from the game Prolog on YouTube (CD Projekt fan license) in which I set up my graphics, also for RTX ecects. In my opinion, the 4K format of the game, above cheap optical effects, usually for cheap optics from real life.

in addition, several video files with the game settings

11th Gen Intel (R) Core i5-11400 2.60GHZ processor - a little more in the stres (65 watts), RTX 3060Ti, Windows 10 21H1. Traditional all-metal housing. Custom graphics settings, because NVIDIA auto, in my opinion, is slightly exaggerating by focusing on the promotion of RTX phenomena (optical, only sometimes found in nature, but never in such amounts). Aha, the game is installed on regular HD because I have my own priorities for the NVM Express disk. I "worked out" time for coffee during the game. :)

My pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I launched game and have 70 fps near outside the first hotel. Then i walk some time and fps decrease to 63fps. Until i restart game and again 70fps. Is this game issue?

RTX 3060 Ti has the same problem. Wasnt there before a patch but could be also due to newest drivers. Ive submitted a ticket so we will see. Definitely it shoudnt happen even if have is more demanding right now.

I haven't noticed this on 1.5 (not the newest patch though) and my 3090, but I'm also not on the newest driver, but on the last one from 2021.

I havent noticed this either, seen a loss of overall fps but no degradation in fps(probably the increased RT). I get overbright for like 1 sec after closing a menu, looks like HDR reapplying pretty much but other then that it seems fine for me. Have a 3090 Oced pretty hard and this game has never been this stable for me.

Top Bottom