PC UI and control scheme complaints and suggestions

+
PC UI and control scheme complaints and suggestions

It kinda sucks that this is the first thread I make after release but I really can't wrap my head around how bad the control scheme for PC is on release.

Where to start...?

Multi-action bindings: if you re-bind an action that shares the key with another (like say Witcher senses and parry share RMB as default) you won't be able to use the same non-default key for two actions (I can't rebind senses and parry to say LMB for both, it's a silly example but that's not the point). Not entirely true but not entirely false either. This seems to be a bug with the call horse/stop horse key, unless you leave it as default you can't bind the same key to these two commands.

A fix for this is to break up the actions in different categories similar to how other games work: you have a common category like basic movement, you have a swimming category, a on foot one etc. And don't have bindings from one category affect bindings from another. Then you give the option to bind one key to multiple actions and also an option to have one key for each action. If you played Battlefield 4 you'll know what I mean: in the key bindings menu I have a bind for sprint+steady scope, one for steady scope and one for hold breath. That way everyone can set up their keys how they want. It's not difficult.

Hard coded bindings: several commands (movement, open journal, open map etc.) are hard coded. That's silly, especially in the case of movement controls being hard coded to WASD. Also, there's an annoying bug with the sheathe command (hard coded bind to C), I can still assign other stuff to C so I might get stuff like being in combat and wanting to drink a potion but also sheathing my weapon by accident which is very very bad.

Quick-cast key absence: this was a great thing in TW2, I could press a key and it would cast a sign. It's a huge shame this was taken out because now I have to fiddle with selecting the sign either via hotkey or the radial menu which pauses the action and then cast it. Please let us quick cast our signs. It's actually beneficial because it clears up one key bind.

Input delay: I start moving forward, take my finger off W and Geralt still moves for about 2 more steps. This makes moving around the world very annoying. How did nobody notice this in the development team!?

UI: having to use the top arrows to switch between categories is annoying, even if you can use the hardcoded keys to switch to them rapidly it not ideal. If you've ever played Skyrim with SkyUI installed you'll know there's a pretty nice and elegant fix: instead of dots have an entire row of icons at the top each representing a category (a "dot") that you can click.

You aren't told what a skill does past the next level: basically if a skill gives me +5 socks on the next level I might ignore the next level whtout know that at the one after that it gives me something I really want. Way to fix this is add a button that displays the entire skill line similar to how I can press shift to compare armor pieces.

Also, a tip for PC users: enable hardware cursor in the options. Mouse is way more responsive that way!

As for the rest of the game: I'm enjoying it so far so kudos for CDPR in that regard... just please please PLEASE fix the key binding issues and the UI.

EDIT
I might add more to the first post if I run into other issues or forgot something.

Last edited:
One big annoying thing that I noticed is if you go into the character screen for example and then switch to another screen, when hitting escape, it goes back through every screen you went into rather than just backing out.

One big annoying thing that I noticed is if you go into the character screen for example and then switch to another screen, when hitting escape, it goes back through every screen you went into rather than just backing out.

Yeah, you can't open the map and just press escape to get out of it for example but if you press the map key again it closes it directly.

As for every games with multiplatform launch in recent months / years, PC controls are completely put aside until some time before the release. They expect everyone to play with controller and the hell with good old keybind freedom. PC community is constantly brought down the low level controls option consoles have imposed over the years.

At least the UI is not as bad as DAI was with those nasty scrolling menus. Could be better sure, even better if there was two separate UI for PC and consoles. But that would cost time.

I expected better care from CDPR on this end, but I've had to replug my old 360 pad to play this game as intended. Sad truth =(

I'm sure modders will take care of that, among many things ;)

What's especially baffling me in this regard is that the controler has multiple button sets, depending on combat/movement and so on. I don't see why that's not possible for the K/M. It almost feels like the old days in WoW, where I had half my keyboard bound to something. Only that you didn't need to take that much care of movement in WoW and you certainly do in TW3.

Apart from that: Great game!

I agree. But there is another problem. To use dodge, you have to directing it with WASD, and not with mouse like in TW2.
And it's really annoying, because it's a 1:1 port with the control scheme, where you use left stick. But left stick has a 360° control, while WASD has only 8 directions.
And camera is too low.

Yeah, they really need to improve this. There's really no optimization in mouse/keyboard controls.

Last edited:
Yeah It is pretty bad right now, it feels like the game was made to be played with a controller.

To be honest, I'm still doing better with M/KB than with my 360 controller on PC. Might be my fault, but I don't feel like the controls are that great generally speaking.

you won't be able to use the same non-default key for two actions
The couple I tried that were like this mapped fine. You could split them up but if you set them to same key they both were that key... Didn't try mouse button though.

Hard coded bindings:
Yes for being FULLY rebindable per Dev it is very lacking, not only are things like quick save hard coded yet once more... but also certain keys could not be bound. I kept getting can't do that here. Wonder if that had to do with the keys being used for a double binding as I was trying to do WASD to other things as well as maybe those for said menu items that are hard bound...

Quick-cast key absence:
At first Ithought this would be an issue but mouse wheel for me to change between signs seems to work well...

Also, a tip for PC users: enable hardware cursor in the options. Mouse is way more responsive that way!
I'll have to try that, I was going to if I experienced issues but haven't played long enough to feel the need yet. (only 4 hours into it)

The couple I tried that were like this mapped fine. You could split them up but if you set them to same key they both were that key... Didn't try mouse button though.
After a bit more testing it's an issue with the horse call/horse stop key (default X). You can't bind the same key to it apparently unless you leave it as default. Thanks for the input, I'll fix the first post.

At first Ithought this would be an issue but mouse wheel for me to change between signs seems to work well...
Tried it but it still forces me to fiddle with sign selection and I hate that. I currently have them set up as 1 aard, 2 igni, 3 yrden, 4 quen, 5 axii and one of the side mouse buttons as cast and while faster than having to scroll through the signs with the selection wheel or scrolling through them with the mouse wheel I still find that it breaks the flow of combat for me.

Probably not just a problem on PC. But the inventory REALLY needs more tabs, it's really confusing. Potions, bombs, and oils should at least have their own tab away from books, food and whatever, so they don't get lost among every other thing.

Having to mouse over every item in the inventory to know what it's called and see its details via a stupid cursor pop-up is by far the most irritating thing about the game to me. There should be a built in INFO section under the inventory that shows me the item names when I cycle over them using WASD, f***.
Also moving the camera is just... I dunno how to describe it. It's abrupt and uncomfortable, probably because movement was designed for the left controller stick. The mouse feels heavy and friction-y in my hand against the desk when I move it.....

- I'm still not sure what you mean by your first point. That if several actions are set to the same key, you can't split them and have a dedicated key for each of those actions?
-Quick cast would be so sweet... But I'm getting used to tapping 3,4,5,6 very quickly during combat. I'm actually starting to like it, it's very intense having to tap the hotkey before my enemy attacks again. Makes me feel like Geralt is vulnerable while switching his magical focus from sign to sign! Roleplaying, yo.
-I'm working on the input delay, I kinda got used to releasing W and taking Geralt's excessive movement into account. It's not great, but it's almost becoming a non-issue.
-Very fun for me switching menu categories using I, J, K, L, N, M and (I think) B. I actually don't mind not having the menu icons, I enjoy tapping the keys. It's certainly a problem for those who don't, though :(

-Haven't fiddled with skills yet, but what you're saying SUCKS! Really there are no skill trees to show me at least the next 3 perks on each skill, so I can see if there's one I want to reach? Dude this is seriously bad.

Also moving the camera is just... I dunno how to describe it. It's abrupt and uncomfortable, probably because movement was designed for the left controller stick. The mouse feels heavy and friction-y in my hand against the desk when I move it.....
Did you enable the hardware cursor option under graphics? That should fix the mouse issues.

- I'm still not sure what you mean by your first point. That if several actions are set to the same key, you can't split them and have a dedicated key for each of those actions?
Yes, you can do that but if you want to assign the call/unmount horse action to a different key you can't, you're forced to use two keys while the default binding lets you use just one. It's a bug.

-Quick cast would be so sweet... But I'm getting used to tapping 3,4,5,6 very quickly during combat. I'm actually starting to like it, it's very intense having to tap the hotkey before my enemy attacks again. Makes me feel like Geralt is vulnerable while switching his magical focus from sign to sign! Roleplaying, yo.
You could argue that Geralt has had so many years of training that he can probably "switch" to a different sign instantly. Regardless it's a shame that the feature wasn't included . TW2 did have quick cast and it was an awesome feature IMO.

-Very fun for me switching menu categories using I, J, K, L, N, M and (I think) B. I actually don't mind not having the menu icons, I enjoy tapping the keys. It's certainly a problem for those who don't, though :(
I'm using that in combination with the 1 and 3 keys to switch tabs left and right.

It's good that every shortcut key - like I for inventory, M for map etc - opens and closes respective menu. No need to ESC 4 times to get out.

It's good that every shortcut key - like I for inventory, M for map etc - opens and closes respective menu. No need to ESC 4 times to get out.
I would have gone insane with using menus if not TBH. I tend to open them a lot to check stats, read entries, check on what I need to collect for alchemy/crafting etc.

After playing TW2 and now TW3, I can tell that none of the devs are talented on making an intuitive Menu system. I'm afraid we're gonna have to live with that. At least give us the quick cast option on every Sign please. Having to open the radial menu then select a sign just to cast a spell breaks the pace really hard.

No quick casting is a huge drawback for me. Virtually no point in hotkeys without it.

AGREED! Using my naga Hex for the 5 signs and the 6th thumb button for Bombs/traps was my setup for 3 years ,multiple dark mode runs and my insane run. Now I have to hit "Q" mid roll.

Small issue but missed non the less and I feel better now Ive complained about it.

Probably not just a problem on PC. But the inventory REALLY needs more tabs, it's really confusing. Potions, bombs, and oils should at least have their own tab away from books, food and whatever, so they don't get lost among every other thing.
I tend to hold on the the books I find in games (been doing it since Morrowind) and it's becoming an issue TBH. I'm starting to miss the alchemy and crafting. I'd prefer it if I had it split between books, food&drink and witcher potions,bombs&oils (so basically 3 categories). Also would be nice if crafting components and alchemy ingredients were splint up in a similar way (like TW2 had IIRC).

Top Bottom