[PC] Unable to save game

+
[PC] Unable to save game

I cant save the game. I have Witcher on GOG and I'm launching through Galaxy. Saving the game produces no save file in the save menu. I read on PCGaming wiki that the files should be in my documents but no files are in there. Unless I can get this work I have to keep Witcher open until I die.

I cant save the game. I have Witcher on GOG and I'm launching through Galaxy. Saving the game produces no save file in the save menu. I read on PCGaming wiki that the files should be in my documents but no files are in there. Unless I can get this work I have to keep Witcher open until I die.
Same issue here, I can't save either. So far you're the only other one I've found with the issue. Adding a bit more info to this.-When pressing F5 to quicksave no message comes up. You don't see "Game saved" or "You cannot save right now"-When going into the menu to manually save once you select the save slot it backs you out of the menu without creating a new save.-Feature worked fine yesterday, booted up the game today and saving just no longer worked.I tried starting a new game, backing out to the main menu, loading another save, and restarting the game. None of these worked for me.

We are now at least 3 people who can't save our game progress. I also run it through GOG Galaxy 1.0.2.958 with the game client 1.02 of Witcher 3.
When I manually try to save it prompts "Saves created with this version of the game will be incompatible with previous game versions". But nothing happens... the game is not saved!
I first discovered this when I got to the inn and the game tutorial told me that it will save automatically during certain stages. But nothing happen then and now I have no save game and have to start over every time I load the game.

I'll try a reinstall when I get back home from work, but after using ages on installing yesterday with all progress lost it's not something I look forward to do again!
So could we get an confirmation from CD Projekt RED that this is an issue? I'll happily provide more information about my computer/setup or whatever you need so we can get this solved!

Game Client: 1.02
GOG Client: 1.0.2.958

Specwise:
i7 4770k
Z87
16gb ddr3
980GTX
Installed on a SSD drive (different from where GOG Galaxy is installed)

I bought my game through Steam and I can't save either. Made a post too but I don't feel like anyone is addressing this huge issue since there is only a few of us. =(

Just reinstalled the game with no luck to fix the problem. I changed location to the same drive as GOG Galaxy is installed.
I died to a lvl 7 wraith and it was just perma death and I had to start over? No saved progress or anything! And I played on the 2nd highest difficulty.
I've read elsewhere that the game cannot be saved during the tutorial, but this is after the brawl at the inn, which I presume is a place you can save your progress, so you don't have to start over all the time!

This is just pure rubbish! And the devs have nothing said so far on the topic.
I think it is down to some path stuff on windows - since my name and windows id is with ØÆÅ - and this have not been taken into account, just like the recent launch of GTA 5.

We need a fix now CD PROJEKT RED! Or at least a confirmation on that this is noted...I can't play the game in its current stage!

I reinstalled as well with no luck either. Going to have to progress further in the story to see if I can get it to save at some point but I'm scare I will loose my data if I do that =/

I've also noticed that all of the changes I do in the options menu before starting a new game is not saved. If I restart the game after changing settings its all back to default.

I'm not happy with the silence on the subject and I really fear it is down to path problems when you have non-english letters (like ØÆÅ in the danish alphabet) or similar in your path for documents on windows.

I've also noticed that all of the changes I do in the options menu before starting a new game is not saved. If I restart the game after changing settings its all back to default.

I'm not happy with the silence on the subject and I really fear it is down to path problems when you have non-english letters (like ØÆÅ in the danish alphabet) or similar in your path for documents on windows.

That would be horrible. But I don't think is path related....I don't have any non-english characters on my accounts anywhere so I think the problem is a lot deeper than just non-english characters on windows paths.

I can't save either... I really hope CDPR sorts this out. I'm not playing the game until this is fixed, and I'm really eager to play more, otherwise my hours will be wasted... Such a rookie error. Never had this with a game :(

I can't save either... I really hope CDPR sorts this out. I'm not playing the game until this is fixed, and I'm really eager to play more, otherwise my hours will be wasted... Such a rookie error. Never had this with a game :(

Agreed. I remember when Skyrim for PS3 had that save issue as well.....it took DAYS for them to fix it.

I can't find the Witcher 3 folders under users/[Username]/Documents
Could anyone with working save game files please tell me what the correct path should be/look like. Then I'll try manually create the path and see if that could help.

I've generally not seen any CDPR people talking about problems/bugs and what order they'll focus on them
:facepalm:

I can't find the Witcher 3 folders under users/[Username]/Documents
Could anyone with working save game files please tell me what the correct path should be/look like. Then I'll try manually create the path and see if that could help.

I've generally not seen any CDPR people talking about problems/bugs and what order they'll focus on them
:facepalm:

Good idea, I guess we could try to manually put the path on the Witcher 3 to see if it can help with the saving situation. I will ask around as well to see what the path is

Good idea, I guess we could try to manually put the path on the Witcher 3 to see if it can help with the saving situation. I will ask around as well to see what the path is

I seem to have found the error on my end at least. :secret: It's not a big fix and shouldn't be a problem in a game, but please try this solution LadyKosa:

1) Find your installation folder of Witcher 3 and go into the \bin\x64 folder.
2) Find the witcher3.exe file and right click it.
3) In the drop down menu click properties.
4) Select the pane called Compatibility and check ON the 'Run this program as an administrator'. Then hit apply.
5) Load up the game and try to save right after creating a new game.

It worked on my end and created the folders needed.

Good luck! CDPR it still needs fixing!
I shouldn't provide rights to your files like that! Never had to before in any other game.

So running the .exe as an administrator allows the gave to save. although the files are being saved in the wrong drive, but at least they are there.

Weird bug, hopefully wont be too hard to fix in an update

I also tried it out and it worked like a charm!! Thankfully, although that just proves that the problem with saving is a programming bug.

Well, for me, even if I try to launch the game without admin rights or compatibility mode, still it works fine for me and the save file is working just fine. Try to check if you are logged into admin account and not on any restricted account.

regardless, regular users have ownership over their own profile folder. it's why you have zero problems getting a virus while running as restricted (only the files it can affect are restricted to your user profile, for the most part, easier to disinfect. sometimes simply trash user profile, done lol).

this seems like something... else... i can't say... vista maybe? (or possibly gog client is running as admin? and there's some interaction with the game client, so they have to use the same context).

anyways, not enough info to determine the cause. also, make sure you're not running gog client as admin.

btw, if you use custom mouse software, and run the game as admin, you have to run your mouse software as admin too (lol... good luck, pain in the butt), same user context. that will also force you to redo all the settings, since they're stored in the admin profile ;p

Last edited:
Top Bottom