(PC version) DRM-free options?

+
Stop worrying about leaks, piracy or people who can play it earlier without paying, etc. There's nothing you can do about it and theft, robbery (even in real-life) will happen. How CDPR gain their popularity and trust from PC gamers simply because they do not want to punish their loyal customers who purchased their games. Some people pirate the game to test if the game runs well and if there are any issues on their system. Some pirates will just pirate and will not purchase the game to start with. There's no loss sales.

Imposing DRM on legit customers are only doing yourself a favor: Throwing off your customers.

I agree with this, I furmulated my point poorly.
I was talking about the leakage of the game after it goes gold and gets shipped worldwide to the stores. At this point, 1-2 weeks ahead of the release date, you can practically guarantee that such a highly anticipated game will be leaked (if no additional measures are taken against that) due to the sheer number of people involved.
I discussed one possible way to prevent this (this specific method in my opinion doesn't count as DRM, but is borderline on that), and concluded that this method is bad, and there is no apparent good way to solve this problem. So it seems that we will have to live with this issue, i.e. of pirates being able to play the full game 1-2 weeks ahead of legitimate customers. Which was a problem to me since I'm worried that it might affect the sales of the game negatively. But any attempt to deal with it will probably affect the sales even more negatively and moreover will probably involve a certain loss of integrity for CDPR, so there is apparently nothing to be done about this.
It seems you have misguided opinion on this matter. Every major game get leaked, every major game sells well if it is good. More often then not drm actually reduces the sales instead of increasing them. Also you are deviding peple between evil pirates and legal customers, and in reality both are mostly one and the same. Actually file sharers buy more games then non file sharers. Here is source:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/05/file-sharers-are-content-industrys-largest-customers/

Actually high piracy ratio may be indicator of high interest in the game and high sales. Especially because of mere exposition effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

I believe that fighting piracy or doing anything that is inconvenient to your customers is counterproductive and is shooting yourself in the foot.

Last edited:
It seems you have misguided opinion on this matter. Every major game get leaked, every major game sells well if it is good. More often then not drm actually reduces the sales instead of increasing them. Also you are deviding peple between evil pirates and legal customers, and in reality both are mostly one and the same. Actually file sharers buy more games then non file sharers. Here is source:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/05/file-sharers-are-content-industrys-largest-customers/

Actually high piracy ratio may be indicator of high interest in the game and high sales. Especially because of mere exposition effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

I believe that fighting piracy or doing anything that is inconvenient to your customers is counterproductive and is shooting yourself in the foot.

Sorry, but could you please read my posts more carefully? I didn't say most of the things you're ascribing to me. I tried to clarify my point several times above, but apparently it doesn't work, people keep noticing a few keywords without reading the details. Oh well.

Personally I don't care if anyone plays it before me. What is the problem with that?

I'm talking in general about not worrying who plays it first, not just about TW3. In this particular case I won't be able to play TW3 anyway for quite a long time still (since Linux version isn't even on the radar yet). I do care about supporting Linux at release time however, so let CDPR get to that point in their development. That's something they should improve, and not some paranoid techniques for leaks avoidance.

Last edited:
I wonder how they are going to prevent the game from leaking ahead of the release date if there won't be any DRM whatsoever for the boxed copies?

I've already seen this happen with games that have DRMs. That's the whole point of the thing: pirates don't care about DRM yet legal customers have to deal with it whatsoever (some being more invasive than others).

Even back in the days, with a crack you could play without having to insert the CD-ROM everytime. Piracy was more convenient than legal buying. This is why DRM should be taken down.

Top Bottom