Peixe de mar

+
Peixe de mar

Well, I'm new here, and I've been playing the witcher, and reading the books... Amazing!But the thing is... Looking to some maps of the witcher's world, like this: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/witcher/images/5/58/World_map.jpg I looked to the botton of the map, on the coast, you can see a cape named "Peixe de mar". Well, the author is polish, and I would like to know, if anyone here knows why he chose "Peixe de mar" to name that cape. I have to say that I'm from Galicia, and in galician "Peixe de mar" means "Fish of the sea". So, I wonder why ...Any guess? Thanks.

There are several names in Sapkowski's Witcherworld which come from our RL languages. There are many French names for example or Scandinavian names like the islands from the Skellige archipelago, take a look at the map of Faroe ;)

Also, that map is full of inaccuracies ... some are noted on the wiki, some have yet to be noted :DSo far, i have found no references at all to that location anywhere ... I'm hoping one of our Polish friends can give us some context for the place within the saga :peace:.. But Sapkowski loves playing with language, and not just Polish, so it is not at all surprising that he'd have places with Portuguese names as well as English, French, German ...he also tends to use his word-play very deliberately, he is not known for choosing names haphazardly ;)

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
It's good to have hope... sometimes, even in this dangerous place, as Wyzimian streets are at 4am. Sometimes, lonely witcher, tired of everyday hard work, between Fleder and Drowner contract, can come and throw some light on the topic, due to his travels along the world.When I wandered around Skellige Islands, one old troubadour told me about the most dangerous spot of sea, of course if we don't count far west seas, beyond the ocean, where I've been told live monsters that would destroy the world we know, within the time, the moon needs to loose and regain whole his face. This place, avoided by everybody except the fools seeking their deaths, is between Skellige Islands and Peixe de Mar cape. It's called Depths of Sedna. All hurricanes from all around our world have their home in there and no ship that gets there is to be redeemed. There, evil itself opens the ocean and throws the hurricanes to skirmish sailors across the world.That is at least what this poet told me.The truth is, that people die there, evil or not, gods, magic or bunch of whales, something had to destroy Pavetta's and Duny's ship.What? How it comes this boy doesn't know Pavetta and Duny? Anyway, they are Ciri's parents. Duny is also known as Urcheon of Erlenwald.But I'll spare the details about them, what happened to them, all know, or will hear from other tales. Or even read if educated well!Let us return to the Depths of Sedna. Few years ago, a powerful sorceress disappeared in there, about this we also know not much...Her tale let us leave as well, enough to say she is claimed to be dead by many these days.Beware of this place, when You travel by ship. From Skellige it would be nice to travel short and straight way to the continent... but price of Your life is price too big for such luxury. Take the winds to the north or the south, go around this damned place and do not fear of getting lost on seas. The magnificent lighthouse in Peixe de Mar will show You the way. I am sure that is how ferries with loads of fishes from Skellige do. That is why the lighthouse was built after all, isn't it? Without Skellige royal courts wouldn't have so many marvellous sea fishes on their tables now, would they? Troubadour told me one more thing. There are rumours, that in some language, that some mage, elven probably, heard in other world it means as much as fish from sea, or something like that... but I wouldn't believe this too much. There were few that claimed there are other worlds, other dimensions, we could travel to. They say mages tried to build such places. If to believe in these tales, I have no idea. Huh? What You say, boy? I know but I don't want to tell...? Well... maybe. The thing I know for sure is that now it's 5 am in the morning and I hear this bloody miller screaming names on me. I need to kill this Drowner or he will never shut up. HOLD ON, I'M GOING! I AM RIGHT AWAY, CALM DOWN. Job must be done, innit? Farewell my friends, I hope to tell You another story another day!

thank-you Vatt`ghern !!so based on your description, Peixe de mar is actually one of the correctly located places on the map (at least reasonably so!)you rock! :beer: :wave:

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Thanks ;DI'd like to add, that it was rather my own thinking, because I found no discussion about the name so far. Except the name of the place (I mean - explanation why it is named so) most I took from books. Luckily I managed to avoid a lot of spoiling here :DWe can also find other places with names taken from our world. Like city Maribor in Slovenia :pAh, I don't know if they told somewhere, but guys from Polish board created Witcherland map. Here it is: http://wyslijto.pl/download/hm9rbu197x

I'm Brazilian and this literally mean Fish of the Sea in Portuguese too, I noticed it because is the only Portuguese word that I found in a Witcher thing.

Top Bottom