Pen and paper vs video game

+
Pen and paper vs video game

Hi,
to keep it short,
What are your strongest reasons to play pen and paper and to play video game ?

I assume that for most people pen and paper is more personal and imagination worth, fun with friends, with options to debate and to more influence the story,
while video game enables you to save/reload, is strict about rules (favorites no one), allows you to see your surroundings ?

What would you guys think about engine, that would allow you to play "live" with other people via some communication tools, having game master specified,
which would "create content at runtime" - and could change everything. Combine graphics and pen and paper ?

0248991;n9506921 said:
What would you guys think about engine, that would allow you to play "live" with other people via some communication tools, having game master specified, which would "create content at runtime" - and could change everything. Combine graphics and pen and paper ?
Neverwinter Nights?

Strongest reason to play a video game? You don't want to play PnP alone. (I hope?)

I've never played a PnP game, and honestly, unless it was converted to a text based adventure (which I have played) or something like that my phone I probably never will play CP2020.

0248991;n9506921 said:

Pen and Paper for me was getting with friends on Saturday night, ordering a pizza or buying some other type of snacks then sitting down for hours long gaming sessions with anime viewing breaks potted in betwee. For me pen and paper was abit more fun than games because I had more control over my character and what I wanted my character to do. For video games, I loved them for the stories they had and in case of FPS's the instant action and more active combat they had, something you couldn't do with PnP games. Though for me as a teen I primarily stuck to RPGs on consoles and strategy and simulators on PC with the occasional bout of Unreal Tournament.

0248991;n9506921 said:
What would you guys think about engine, that would allow you to play "live" with other people via some communication tools, having game master specified, which would "create content at runtime" - and could change everything. Combine graphics and pen and paper ?

Bioware's Neverwinter Nights series for PC was just that and I would like to see CDPR try something like that after they give us 2077. Don't make it like NWN but like take GWENT or Blizz' Hearthstone, replace the cards with character sheets, add spots for up to at least 4 to 6 players with a spot for a GM and have a small middle video for animations like rolling dice or events. Just an thought.

0248991;n9506921 said:

I don't have any speciically strong reasons. PnP/tabletop games are with-friends games. CRPG is when wanting to burn some time on my own. We're working on a couple of homebrew tabletop games with a couple of friends at the moment mixing some PnP and boardgaming, it'll be fun when it's done I hope, but I suppose computergames still get played more (singleplayer games can be played in a group too, switching the -player- at certain intervals, which can be surpiringly fun if the game is good).

I assume that for most people pen and paper is more personal and imagination worth,

Yeah it's true, but a well done single player cRPG can mimic that sense to some degree when it decidedly leaves some things as abstracts and allows certain amount of randomness in everything.

0248991;n9506921 said:

Divinity Original Sin 2 is doing exactly that with its "Gamemaster Mode". I've never been fond of computer multiplayer games, but who knows... It can be fun.

Here's an example video (I haven't watched but snippets here and there, so I don't know if it's a good video, though):

Last edited:
To be honest I prefer PnP over video games.

I like interacting with other people (and not in the way you do in most MMOs) and LOVE the freedom to do whatever you want ... assuming your GM is reasonable and realistic.

I've been running a PnP game (same game, many of the original players) for close to 30 years now. I kind of assume I must be doing something right as a GM.

Last edited:
Well, for me, it's a matter of quick, self gratification v.s unleashing my creativity and telling a story. Video games are a way for me to "let someone ELSE take the wheel" and wisk me away to Neverland." On the other hand, PNP games are a way in which I can share and express my creativity. A form of art, you might say. Each have their place in my life and I can't say one necessarily takes place of the other. That's my view of it.

It would be great if we could go multiplayer mode in this, meet ingame and roam the map while writing and roleplaying stuff with *sneezes* text. Like in WoW RPG servers, or other "game rooms" allowing to meet with friends and let your imagination fly away. Merging pen&paper RPG in multiplayer mode of PC game would be so awesome.

Top Bottom