Penalising players who bought kegs early

+
Penalising players who bought kegs early

Dear CDPR
With this big patch introducing a lot of new cards and premiums, I and a lot of other players are starting to worry about getting kind of screwed for buying in early. Not trying to come across as entitled or aggressive here of course, just want to explain a concern I have: I bought in total maybe 150 kegs or so for real money at this point (some of my friends bought hundreds), and I opened the large majority of them before there was any chance of getting premiums and before there was any chance of getting these new cards. That means I got a lot more duplicates, and no premiums from all those kegs. Had I instead waited till release I assume those kegs would have gotten me:
-Nilfgaard cards
-All kinds of other new cards introduced along the way
-A bunch of premiums meaning a lot more value
-A lot less duplicates, which mill for very little
Now while this was kind of known from the beginning, I and the others I've been talking to kind of assumed this was all gonna be compensated fairly since it is CDPR we are talking about, but it seems there will be no such thing, which makes it kind of frustrating. Getting less value for buying in early and supporting the beta is kind of counter-intuitive. One solution to this of course is a wipe, but thus far things have been extremely unclear as to whether there will be one or not? Have you considered this issue and are you planning on wiping or compensating people in any way? Because otherwise it seems like the only sensible thing to do is to hoard kegs and never open them? And since you haven't been communicating this some of us feel kind of tricked.
Usually card games solve this by wiping at the end of beta, and then releasing new cards in a new type of pack/keg, meaning the value of any specific purchase always remains constant. but if you are going with the idea of releasing smaller batches of cards that might not work too well. How are you planning to solve this for the future?

This is beta. In your agreement there are warnings that content will be added in future. You made a decision to have more cards during the early stages. No one to blame.

aroundofgwent;n7310730 said:
Dear CDPR
With this big patch introducing a lot of new cards and premiums, I and a lot of other players are starting to worry about getting kind of screwed for buying in early. Not trying to come across as entitled or aggressive here of course, just want to explain a concern I have: I bought in total maybe 150 kegs or so for real money at this point (some of my friends bought hundreds), and I opened the large majority of them before there was any chance of getting premiums and before there was any chance of getting these new cards. That means I got a lot more duplicates, and no premiums from all those kegs. Had I instead waited till release I assume those kegs would have gotten me:
-Nilfgaard cards
Now while this was kind of known from the beginning, I and the others I've been talking to kind of assumed this was all gonna be compensated fairly since it is CDPR we are talking about, but it seems there will be no such thing, which makes it kind of frustrating. Getting less value for buying in early and supporting the beta is kind of counter-intuitive. One solution to this of course is a wipe, but thus far things have been extremely unclear as to whether there will be one or not? Have you considered this issue and are you planning on wiping or compensating people in any way? Because otherwise it seems like the only sensible thing to do is to hoard kegs and never open them? And since you haven't been communicating this some of us feel kind of tricked.
Usually card games solve this by wiping at the end of beta, and then releasing new cards in a new type of pack/keg, meaning the value of any specific purchase always remains constant. but if you are going with the idea of releasing smaller batches of cards that might not work too well. How are you planning to solve this for the future?

I completely agree with what you are saying.

That's why game should be resetted at launch and people who bought kegs given back their money or kegs they bought.

Dear CDPR
-Nilfgaard cards

I understand your feeling but keep in mind this is beta. They will reset when they go live.

First of all, if there's a reset, you will get all the kegs you bought back.

In most of online games there is new stuff - because no in-game progression can lead to the server closure. So you can't think ''I won't buy kegs now, because there will be something new in them in the future'', because there will ALWAYS be something new coming.

KasumiGoto;n7310950 said:
First of all, if there's a reset, you will get all the kegs you bought back.

In most of online games there is new stuff - because no in-game progression can lead to the server closure. So you can't think ''I won't buy kegs now, because there will be something new in them in the future'', because there will ALWAYS be something new coming.

Just like I don't want to my a new phone because there will be new one in the future. If you decided to wait you have to wait forever.

Hey guys,
All I see here is the original post getting some flak. As I understand the guy only wants to know if the wipe happens or not. And I am curious about that too honestly, could someone confirm or deny it?

TBH considering there's high chance that the whole thing will receive a wipe, there's no penalizing here.
Also I didn't especially need someone to tell me to look at how much I could gather in one day, what kind of stuff were in keg to understand that right now buying keg would not give anything worth so much money so I don't think you can say you didn't know that would be the case...

Zer0_san;n7311680 said:
Hey guys,
All I see here is the original post getting some flak. As I understand the guy only wants to know if the wipe happens or not. And I am curious about that too honestly, could someone confirm or deny it?

there won't be any confirmation because as long as CDPR doesn't confirm it it will remain as "only if we really need to do it".
However, I'm prety use they're going to do it, and I'm ever more certain since yesterday, but heh, it's not like I have proof.

Dear CDPR
-Nilfgaard cards

This is true for every CCG? Because the developers will release new cards even after the beta (about 100 per year), so what is the time point to buy kregs? After the game is dead?

Zer0_san;n7311680 said:
Hey guys,

Most probably there will be a wipe. If so the kegs you have purchased using actual money will be returned to you.

You knew that risk when you bought the kegs. you knew it was a ccg that would likely have more cards added later including all new factions and you knew it was beta. Aside from that they have already said if they do a wipe they will notify us well ahead AND any kegs purchased with real money will be refunded so you can open them again. If that isn't compensation enough for you then.. sorry, but oh well.

First off - if there is a wipe then my issue is resolved. But CDPR are very unclear about this and them not wiping seems like a real possibility.

Second in response to this:

tommy3450;n7312290 said:
This is true for every CCG? Because the developers will release new cards even after the beta (about 100 per year), so what is the time point to buy kregs? After the game is dead?

Of course they should keep releasing new content - the more the better! And that is true for every CCG. But usually they would split it into separate purchases, separate packs. Any single pack type remains at a constant value. Unlike Gwent where new cards are being added into the same pool, which causes these kinds of issues. I think premiums are the worst offenders honestly, the fact that there was no chance of getting them with my first 200+ kegs feels bad, and the fact that the possible premiums are still super limited for any kegs I open the coming months also stings.

To everyone else saying I knew the risks etc. yeah this might seem kind of minor in some respects and like entitlement but this is CDPR we are talking about and I hold them to a high standard when it comes to fairness to their consumers. And if nothing else this is a shit business strategy - rewarding people for waiting and not spending money now is probably not the effect they imagined.

How would you all feel if this was more direct, if keg prices were instead halved, both in terms of ore and real money, when the game released. Would that feel fair to the players who supported the beta?

I brought 180 kegs, but I really did not want reset. I mean I also won nearly that much kegs and and will probably win couple hundreds more before beta ends in year or so and they will be lost with reset. Think about it that you can play with cards one year longer than players they will buy them after release, so there is actually much more value in them for you, even without premium cards.

aroundofgwent;n7316580 said:
Of course they should keep releasing new content - the more the better! And that is true for every CCG. But usually they would split it into separate purchases, separate packs. Any single pack type remains at a constant value.

A good counter argument, but we are still in beta, meaning it's still part of the base game (deck). While other CCGs do have different booster packs you can buy, I wonder if Gwent is every going to do this, because of:
a) The small amount of cards (compared to other CCG) doesn't warrant a new seperate booster pack.
b) The release schedule; the devs stated they wanted to release a few cards every 2 months.
The only way I see how Gwent can fix this is by releasing yearly (or twice a year) kegs containing all the previously released cards from that period.

aroundofgwent;n7316580 said:
How would you all feel if this was more direct, if keg prices were instead halved, both in terms of ore and real money, when the game released. Would that feel fair to the players who supported the beta?

They can cut the ore prices in half and it would be fine. If there is a wipe/reset, it doesn't matter anyhow and if there isn't a wipe/reset, you still got a head start.
They can NOT and will NOT half the real money prices without compensating everyone with double the kegs. Because of a 1001 reasons.

I brought kegs and knew the state of play. If they change the keg prices down the track and it's for the good of the game, fair enuff. But that's just me. I guess I wanted more cards and wanted to support the game and that's what it means to me.

idomyownstunts I agree that I purchased kegs to support the beta and enhance the experience. Once you have all the common cards you get a lot more scraps from earned kegs that you can craft into rarer cards. So you get more mileage out of your purchase than you first see since you can target buy with scraps down the road.

IAxiiYourMother;n7317150 said:
Once you have all the common cards you get a lot more scraps from earned kegs that you can craft into rarer cards. So you get more mileage out of your purchase than you first see since you can target buy with scraps down the road.

But in the end it's still worse. Each keg is basically just 30 scraps with a chance to get an epic/legendary.

Top Bottom