People exploting "the Guardian" bug. Developers do nothing about it

+
Have you noticed people plays "the Guardian" a lot in nifilgardiaan decks? It has becomemore popular than ever. That is becuause when you draw the golem that The guardian creates and mulligan it away, it always go to the top of the deck. Always. So the second you play any draw effect that pulls a card from the top of the deck (or your opponent forces you to draw from the top of your deck), it will be in your hand again. Test it yourself if you do not believe me. However, you wont draw him if you just draw the mandatory 1 card for the third round, somehow. Just if you play a "draw top of the deck" effect. So it *seems* to be working fine. But it does not.

This is not working as intended, but developers do not seem to care.

Last edited:
The devs have been fixing bugs, but this one might have slipped under their radar. Normally, a patch would be planned for these kind of things, but now we might have to wait until Homecoming. It's not like the don't care, but that their resources are being spent on Homecoming. In my opinion, it's a minor bug that doesn't require immediate attention. Regardless, you can always report it to CDPR.

Lastly, please do not assume players are exploiting this. Some might, but others would have played the card regardless, assuming they are even aware of this issue. Or they simply wouldn't have had much choice.

I wouldn‘t call it a bug tbh, it‘s kinda how Gwent mulligan has been working for quite some time now. No matter if it‘s the Golem or any other card you mulligan away. If CDPR manages to significantly improve the mulligan system, it will probably solve this issue too.

However, reworking the mulligan system doesn‘t seem like an easy thing to do. There have been a few attempts to improve it already, so the dev’s certainly aren’t ignoring issues like that. But we‘ll see how it goes once Homecoming is out.

Yup, I did not even notice it always goes to the top. I play the Guardian in my Alchemy deck because it's a good proactive choice in a deck that otherwise has little to go on when the board is empty.

Guest 4226291

I wouldn‘t call it a bug tbh, it‘s kinda how Gwent mulligan has been working for quite some time now. No matter if it‘s the Golem or any other card you mulligan away. If CDPR manages to significantly improve the mulligan system, it will probably solve this issue too.

However, reworking the mulligan system doesn‘t seem like an easy thing to do. There have been a few attempts to improve it already, so the dev’s certainly aren’t ignoring issues like that. But we‘ll see how it goes once Homecoming is out.
The mulligan system was already reworked with the Swap update. Cards mulliganed away do not have a higher chance of being at the top of the deck anymore. This exclusively applies to The Guardian.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mulligan system was already reworked with the Swoa update. Cards mulliganed away do not have a higher chance of being at the top of the deck anymore. This exclusively applies to The Guardian.

Well, I have that issue with most of my decks. So no, it does not exclusively apply to Guardian.

The mulligans has been fixed? Lol, I play reveal and the foot soldiers almost every time give you the cards you mulligan and in the order you mulligan too. It's hilarious frustrating!!! With tears streaming from my face, seeing the exact same cards I mulligans away.

Guest 4226291

Well, I have that issue with most of my decks. So no, it does not exclusively apply to Guardian.
Your anecdotal evidence doesn’t mean what you’re saying is true. Drawing a card you mulliganed previously isn’t indicative of a bug that makes you more likely to draw a card if it had formerly been in your hand. Just because the mulligan algorithm was altered to make it so each card is as likely to be drawn doesn’t mean it’s now impossible to draw a card if it was mulliganed before.

Saying you drew a card you got rid of in a previous round, and then calling it an issue when it’s completely normal and occurs with considerable frequency, is irrelevant and completely meaningless to this discussion.

The issue is that Lesser Guardian is treated similarly to how the old Mulligan alogorithm operated, where mulliganed cards are placed at a random place in the deck and rise to the top of the deck because of blacklisting and drawing new cards on top of the mulliganed card.

I was experiencing a similair thing when mulligan cards. So I thought to write it down. I played 25 ranked matches and in 81% of the matches I drew the card I mulliganed before. This was when I was forced to draw a card or just the card picking before a new round....

81% isn't coincidence anymore

Having tested it, I can confirm the OP's hypothesis is NOT correct. The Lesser Guardian does not always go to the top when mulliganed. It does often, true, but it doesn't always by a longshot.

I was playing baseline consume, I stole the opponent's Guardian with my caretaker at the end of Round 2. Opponent drew a card next which was the lesser Guardian. So he mulliganed that, went in Round 3, playing Vilgefortz did indeed draw the Lesser guardian for him.

However the next 2 times I faced Calveit Reveal with my Calveit alchemy, my opponent played the Guardian at the end of Round 2. I draw the lesser guardian in Round 3 and mulligan it away. Both of the times I used Cahir into Calveit and it was not even in my options. The latter time in particular, I had only 4 cards in my deck, which means it was dead last after I mulliganed it, since it didn't show up at all when Calveit showed me the top 3 cards.

I was experiencing a similair thing when mulligan cards. So I thought to write it down. I played 25 ranked matches and in 81% of the matches I drew the card I mulliganed before. This was when I was forced to draw a card or just the card picking before a new round....

81% isn't coincidence anymore

81% of 25 matches hmmm. 20.25 matches? how did you reach that result? :p

If people think there is nothing wrong with the mulligans system, idk what to say? But it seems to me as a person who plays reveal with daerlan soldiers the cards I mulligans have a high chance of being drawn when I play a daerlan soldiers or when I draw cards in round 2 or when I'm force to draw cards by mill.

The mulligan system was already reworked with the Swap update. Cards mulliganed away do not have a higher chance of being at the top of the deck anymore. This exclusively applies to The Guardian.

No, they said they fixed it but they didn't, it became even worse after the update where they "fixed" it.

Top Bottom