People that are older than the gaming generation

+
Some would argue that while games and toys in general are good for kids. When one matures, and still plays games or with toys, one might wonder if one really matured.

Also it seems gaming and also reading comics, watching movies or anime etc changed peoples perception of reality into an abstracted one which is a dangerous thing, making humans more mechanical and less spiritual.

Technology advances come from where? Who mandates the people to achieve the advancement? Inspiration? What is the goal for this?

Also electricity is a nice thing but it will surely have downsides right?
That's a bunch of horse hockey ...... I have a BSEE and a MSEE degree and own an Engineering design and consultancy business that generates a few million in revenue each year .... Gaming was a large part of getting me involved with electronics, computers and programming as was music and guitar. Before Covid reared it's ugly head I was a STEM Mentor at 3 local high schools and the community college> I'm also a member of a Federally recognized Indian Nation and have participated in more sweat lodge ceremonies than I can count, 2 Vision Quests and a Sundance and have the piercing scars on my chest to prove it so my spirituality is hardly in question just because I also have a vast well of technical knowledge and like Gaming

Yeah I can see that can happen and that's illustrating the problem. Should all novels, all movies, tv shows? We have certain standards in how we perceive products but with video games things get very vague. The basic question being, if video games (story driven) are equal form of expression compared to everything else, why works in video game space cannot be evaluated but some ever moving video game standards?
It does seem to have a double standard yes. Maybe it's the interactive thing, games like carmageddon didn't help(not sure if that game is story driven). With books one can say it appeals to the reader's imagination, with tv/movie's less so, with games it depends, i remember text adventures where it appealed more to it than with so called realistic graphical games like call of duty e.g. although both can have educational value. It seems to me that it mostly wants to take you away from reality into a deformed realism, like with the new Metaverse coming, how can the metaverse produce a true experience?

I don't think I can. Sure I could look up couple of movies as examples but that's just that and that happens, to demonstrate trend is beyond of scope I can do and I'm willing to do in context of topic. However we can ponder how much praise Disney superhero spectacles get and those products has right to exist, but what have you learned about the world and the human condition from them? What cultural value they have besides of portraying that people as global audience on this era were willing to suck up everything without batting an eye to the fact that supposed values and norms and that presented in these products reflect are to get them approved for viewing from CCP on that market, that is huge.

There is certain irony. Production costs, especially if marketing is included are so high that tip toeing around things makes sense. So they make lots of money that then doesn't go to small budget movies, but other mega budget spin-off or something. Big money, big risks and we end in situation where party delivering something original is like game studio from Poland, even though in gaming space they took huge risk with CP 2077.

The majority of the global audience appears to like this form of entertainment. Learning about the world and about the human condition will probably make profits less. Same with originality, yes it is nice to see this game studio from Poland going for it, maybe i should give cp2077 a try.
At a certain point, globally, can it still be about only the money, obviously taking the well beaten path to it, or at this certain point it is about something else entirely?
Post automatically merged:

That's a bunch of horse hockey ...... I have a BSEE and a MSEE degree and own an Engineering design and consultancy business that generates a few million in revenue each year .... Gaming was a large part of getting me involved with electronics, computers and programming as was music and guitar. Before Covid reared it's ugly head I was a STEM Mentor at 3 local high schools and the community college> I'm also a member of a Federally recognized Indian Nation and have participated in more sweat lodge ceremonies than I can count, 2 Vision Quests and a Sundance and have the piercing scars on my chest to prove it so my spirituality is hardly in question just because I also have a vast well of technical knowledge and like Gaming
Haha, i don't mind a bit of sarcasm now and then :)

Last edited:
The majority of the global audience appears to like this form of entertainment. Learning about the world and about the human condition will probably make profits less. Same with originality, yes it is nice to see this game studio from Poland going for it, maybe i should give cp2077 a try.
At a certain point, globally, can it still be about only the money, obviously taking the well beaten path to it, or at this certain point it is about something else entirely?
And there it is, issues make people suffer. A cycle where profits are made from people submerging into escapism in artificial realities far removed from reality. Obvious problem is that it can grow only so much as it's a dead end.

Think you should really give game a try. I didn't follow marketing and that, but in retrospect there was something said. Posted by R. Talsorian (who made original tabletop game) It's here. Think that's the game I actually played.

And there it is, issues make people suffer. A cycle where profits are made from people submerging into escapism in artificial realities far removed from reality. Obvious problem is that it can grow only so much as it's a dead end.

Think you should really give game a try. I didn't follow marketing and that, but in retrospect there was something said. Posted by R. Talsorian (who made original tabletop game) It's here. Think that's the game I actually played.
Thanks, I did not know that cp77 came from this tabletop game, it looks fun ( i checked some vids on yt).

A lot of older people don't care about those things anymore. Just like I don't care nor understand about Fortnite or E-sports.
In his time, people talked much more, the experiences were first-hand and I think that in general life was something much more direct.
A world without virtual reality, without daily global news and gossip in your palm, without social networks and without likes. Think about it for a moment.
My father liked to hunt in the wild in real life equipped only with a knife (for real). Believe me that man does not understand a hunting video game.
And Robocop is still a wonderful film.

Thanks, I did not know that cp77 came from this tabletop game, it looks fun ( i checked some vids on yt).
I would like to add that perhaps wait for 1.5 patch, which is supposed to happen in Q1 / 22. Contrary to what is often said, game was playable for me, though had persistent crash issue with every 6 hours or so even on day 1 patch but I completed my playthrough from that save in a few weeks and at end of it game version was 1.06. That said, I returned to game later to check out something and I think 1.5 might be smoother experience, most glitches in game are on visual side of things but if you are not in a hurry, why rush now when 1.5 is coming in about 2 months?

Other thing I feel is important to share. Game has crafting and looting mechanic. During my first playthrough I stayed away from that, I think my character had crafting 3 or 5. If you play on normal difficulty you don't need all that fancy stuff. I made a baseball bat wielding Nomad for a joke but it actually worked, high Int and Cool / Stealth, quite mixed bag. Did sometimes absolutely the minimum to complete objectives and didn't go after some loot, didn't knew some things even existed. These depends of individual preferences of players but game absolutely can be played through without spending much of your time in menus and going after items. Just pick up weapons and clothing when opportunity comes to keep up with level scaling and you are pretty good to go.

I am 70 years old, the first computer game I ever played was a side scroller called Duke Nukem, when I was 40. I have been playing PC games ever since. I have completed CP 2077 5 times and have to say it is one of my all time favourites. I am a member of a Discord that regularly plays online in various games (Fallout 76, ESO, New World) and most of the members are "retired" so for me age is irrelevant.

Guest 4561861

I've been playing games since Pong first came out. I've always been intrigued by the ability of people to make silicon chips make sound and pictures, and later tell stories. I've owned and worked in many arcades until I was 32, and then worked regular adult work but still played games.

I got Deus Ex free with a video card purchase, and that just blew my mind. I couldn't believe it! There was a story! Voices! There even was a helicopter that looked pretty real, especially when taking off. There was also ray-traced graphics, prerendered of course. I discovered that in different playthroughs I could play and finish the game in several different ways. I've loved action RPGs and story-heavy games ever since. I don't like the turn-based games, or the top-view games. When Deus Ex: Invisible War came out I had to buy another video card to handle the green fog. I was disappointed in that game.

But still I play, at 64. Some series are great (The Witcher and Mass Effect) and some series have mixed great and not-so-great games in them (Dragon Age, Crysis, Far Cry, and Mass Effect if you count Andromeda). It doesn't matter, though, because people like all kinds of video games, and table top games, and casual games, etc.

As for the maturity aspect of playing games, it's moot. It's an experience I enjoy. I also enjoy reading, but I don't see how that's more mature. I read a story, or novel, and I'm done with it. I don't read books over and over or see movies more than once, because the experience doesn't change enough, because the story doesn't change at all.

Young people who think they invented gaming in 2011. :D
I know what you mean. These damn kids! Get off my lawn kids!
sarcasm if it was not obvious:)
I would say the 'gaming generation' are kids from 2000 or even 90s that grew up in a world where games are something normal. To be a gamer is not weird:) I think celebs are good....hmm... a good indicator for that. If a celebrity goes 'yes I play games' the question they will be met with will be 'nice...what game/s?'. Before 90s they would have been met with an awkward silence at best and 'what a weirdo' at worst:)
my opinion anyway

Thing is, there is no "generation". Gaming is more mainstream now, thanks to mobiles (easy entry, everybody has a smartphone now), and Internet. I know very small amount of people around my age (34) and younger who would admit "I am a gamer". Most people reluctantly admits that they either occasionally play something, or they played when they were younger. I work industrial engineering, people tend to be more down to earth here. I bet in IT industry literally everyone openly plays games and talk about games.

It's not about generation. It's all about what environment you're surrounded with. Some are more inclined towards gaming than others.

of course, because before computers there were no games, no war games, no roleplaying games. I got into coding at 14 so I could make those games I wanted to play, so I could play warhammer in all its glory on the screen. The games like pong were oK but we were already trying to make adventure games and full scales MMO's (although they were called MUDs back then, and that was in 1978) It is because of my gaming generation that helped push those games further and into the PC format. SOme people grow out of games, some don't. There is no generation just we get some respect now

I'm 55 and am as addicted to gaming as I am to the gaming-herbs. Been gaming since the only DECENT games cost $0.25.

When I recline in my chair at home in my livingroom and play 2077 (edit:actually I play standing up alot to fool myself into thinking I got exercise) on the bigscreen tv I sometimes wonder if I didn't die at some point and am now in heaven lol.

Last edited:
I'm 55 and am as addicted to gaming as I am to the gaming-herbs. Been gaming since the only DECENT games cost $0.25.

When I recline in my chair at home in my livingroom and play 2077 (edit:actually I play standing up alot to fool myself into thinking I got exercise) on the bigscreen tv I sometimes wonder if I didn't die at some point and am now in heaven lol.
Maybe you are old enough to remember 'Twilight Zone' or even better 'Outer Limits'. Now you just have to figure out which one you're in. Or, you'll just simply wake up. :shrug:

It causes me to think that the gamer generation is unique in perspective and experience.
While I agree there are many 50 to 60 year olds out there that don't have any any interest in gaming there are many out there that are , I am 55 . I think the gamer generation should be changed to gamer culture . My first gaming started with atari and followed through consoles till first playstation . Then the world of pc gaming opened up to me , rpg's to start then racing then action then back to rpg . Also Black Desert online has alot of us older gamers . I would also like to think that from my age point of view that the evolution of gaming is both price point and interest based . Back in the day gaming was more expensive in comparison to todays . $5.00 an hour wage when i bought my first genesis minimum wage was $3.35 then so working your butt off you missed out on seeing many games or you weren't interested in gaming because you couldn't afford it . I would say many of my generation it is split on how many game or don't , many may have been interested when we were younger but couldn't afford it or were to busy with life . I just think a gamer generation is too broad culture yes , i have had my butt kicked in pvp by people older than me .

While I agree there are many 50 to 60 year olds out there that don't have any any interest in gaming there are many out there that are , I am 55 . I think the gamer generation should be changed to gamer culture . My first gaming started with atari and followed through consoles till first playstation . Then the world of pc gaming opened up to me , rpg's to start then racing then action then back to rpg . Also Black Desert online has alot of us older gamers . I would also like to think that from my age point of view that the evolution of gaming is both price point and interest based . Back in the day gaming was more expensive in comparison to todays . $5.00 an hour wage when i bought my first genesis minimum wage was $3.35 then so working your butt off you missed out on seeing many games or you weren't interested in gaming because you couldn't afford it . I would say many of my generation it is split on how many game or don't , many may have been interested when we were younger but couldn't afford it or were to busy with life . I just think a gamer generation is too broad culture yes , i have had my butt kicked in pvp by people older than me .
I'm in my mid sixties and it was pretty much the same with me, still have my old Atari 2600 (somewhere) and that silly thing will still fire up and play. So I have watched games progress through the years and now play mostly on PC. I build my own PC's and have for the last 20 years, someone would have told me that thirty years ago I'd told them they were crazy. I'm not much into the PVP aspect, but it has been great fun when other 'younger' players find out they got their butts kicked by an 'old guy'. I've had mine handed to me by older players too.

One of the most exciting times for me is when I finally had a computer that actually had 256 colors. That was in the last century by the way.

There are "older" people playing video games, i can assure you that.
They love to do that as well, my mother for example played GTA SA, Witcher games, Dungeons.
She absolutely digging it, specially during the winter months, when there is no gardening stuff to do.

HECK, now that i think of it, i am "OLD" as well, mid fourties by now. You could claim i belong to the
generation that grew up without video games too. Why? Because in the exGDR we had no game systems
till 1990. So yes i MAY be Generation X but my infant years were filled with playing "outside" hahahahah.

However, my love for video games started back with Prince of Persia, Wolfpack, F15 Strike Eagle.
I love playing them ever since, don t intent to stop either. Sadly the really good games are far and
inbetween nowadays.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that there are so numerous people playing games at 50+ and this fact is quite refreshing. Although I suspect that modern gaming is still rather the "youngster" area (no offence to anyone intended :) ). People around their 40s are the ones that were raised in times when Atari, Commodore 64 and Amiga started to be more common and affordable, I think (I had Commodore myself for a while). Like Wuckert said above, these people (as well as the ones with first consoles) have always treated gaming as a natural form of entertainment. They just got older and still tend to play games (with a bit more limited time due to life affairs).
I think that place of living can play a small role as well. Here in Poland, which was a bit slower with opening to the global culture due to... certain conditions ;) , cultural mentality can be still rather old-fashioned in some areas. Gaming can be still perceived as "childish" here, I guess. Although I have to add that I didn't do any research on the topic ;) . More like a gut feeling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom