Performance is very bad since Patch 1.10

+
Whatever the changes were, I like it the way it is now. True, in my case in many areas the framerate is a little bit lower than before, but at the same time it's more stable. In fact, if I turn FPS display off and concentrate on what I actually see, not on the counters, the game feels actually smoother than before. I'm yet to see any pop in (finally!)

I'm on gtx970 (asus strix, oc), oced i52500k and SSD, BTW.

I also do like some of the changes I've noticed in the terrain/details (new ramp here, remodeled bridge there - a little bit different, feels fresh ;) ).

Same problem. Lost 10-15 fps since patch 1.10. GTX980. It seems that only 970 and 980 have this problem. Hope you will fix it guys. Hope you will do it before DLC is released :)

Used to get 1080p 60 fps before, and am getting 1080p 60 fps now with 1.10. All good. (GTX 980 here)

Most likely a result of INI editing. Restore the original files (I assume the game rewrites them if you remove them) and try again.

What INI files in particular? Should I delete those and re-write using GoG Galaxy file restore?

Yeah, somethings not quite right

http://i.imgur.com/tG4OUh5.jpg

i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz
MSI GTX 980Ti Twin Frozr V
2560x1440p

In towns, I have low GPU usage, but CPU usage can skyrocket to 100% total according to task manager. Turning the resolution down to the lowest available gives the exact same FPS. Never had this bottleneck in the past.

Out in the wilderness it's fine.

Sharpy47

Go to C:\Users\username\Documents\The Witcher 3

There you will find the gamesaves folder and three files. Delete the files ONLY THE FILES NOT THE GAMESAVES, play the game and they will restore to default. I've tried this but it didn't work.

Same problem
I5 2500k@4400Ghz GTX 660ti Win 10 Build 10547 358.50 video driver . 1920X1080
Before 1.10 45-50 Fps , after 35-40 Fps, its awful.... Game reinstalled from scrath , no mods , no ini changing, game installed on ssd.

Last edited:
I experience the same issue with 1.10 Patch. On previous ones it used to work just fine with stable 60 FPS (VSync and 60 FPS lock) but now it often drops to around 45 FPS, especially in some locations in Novigrad.

HW specs:
i5-4460
GTX 970
16G of RAM

I think I worked out my problem. It was caused by the new default ini

Mainly these two values
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq

I remember having a similar problem when I changed the old values as a "fix" for pop-in of characters but that didn't even work. It just made the game stutter.

I remember in the old one there was no Sq at the end of these lines and the original values were 10 and 50. So I changed them to that and now the frame skipping is gone. Everything else seems fine. At least I think it is. I'll test some more tomorrow. It's almost 2am in my neck of the woods.
Nope. Didn't really work. Still a lot of stuttering/frame skipping. I'll try reinstalling the game, I guess. Perhaps even on a different drive.

I think I worked out my problem. It was caused by the new default ini

Mainly these two values

I remember having a similar problem when I changed the old values as a "fix" for pop-in of characters but that didn't even work. It just made the game stutter.

I remember in the old one there was no Sq at the end of these lines and the original values were 10 and 50. So I changed them to that and now the frame skipping is gone. Everything else seems fine. At least I think it is. I'll test some more tomorrow. It's almost 2am in my neck of the woods.

Did this change end up fixing things for you? I was thinking that if it was something as straight forward as this, then shouldn't it affect everyone. ? Hard to say. Maybe some of the people who say they don't notice a change were already well over 60fps, so they just don't notice any drop. In any case, I may go ahead and roll back to 1.08, unless there turns out to be a simple fix like this.

Strange. I have in Novigrad 50-60 FPS with 1440p, HBAO enabled, No Hairworks, Shadows to low, Foliage to High.

Edit: Running on a 970

Last edited:
Regarding the following:

It looks like these didn't replace the previous versions (without the 'Sq') but rather are in addition to those. I compared the user settings file and the new one has the same lines without the 'Sq' at the end, set to 10 and 50, in addition to the new ones with 'Sq' at the end. So these lines were added to the file but the other ones are still there.

For me nothing changed for 980 Ti and i5-4690K, I am on 355.83 driver, so not the latest. I had some scripts problems so I removed all mods to be able to run game and I saw about 5 FPS increase from previous version, which is caused by removing all mods, so if I was able to start game with mods I would get the same FPS as on previous version. I will probably reinstall and repatch game before expansion release anyway, but everything seem to run ok so far and there is no performance decrease from 1.08 for me. But if I had one I would just fully reinstall game while keeping gamesaves, and if this doesn't help... well, there will be tenth patch that broke more than fixed to add to collection:D

Last edited:
So, if I got this right. Everyone was complaining about the NPC pop in. They fix that, but since no pop in is more demanding, the fps decrease and now everyone is upset? Wow. :facepalm:

Welcome to the Internet, CDPR.!

My game has crashed every now and again since the new patch, on top of showing "Novigrad: Closed City II" as failed now.... Seriously CDPR, this is disappointing. Wish I had never downloaded this bloody patch.

So, if I got this right. Everyone was complaining about the NPC pop in. They fix that, but since no pop in is more demanding, the fps decrease and now everyone is upset? Wow. :facepalm:

Welcome to the Internet, CDPR.!

The performance is worse in all areas, even if NPC's aren't present. And anyway consoles got the same fixes, so if improved NPC popin was the cause those systems would now be running the game at 10-20 fps.

The performance is worse in all areas, even if NPC's aren't present. And anyway consoles got the same fixes, so if improved NPC popin was the cause those systems would now be running the game at 10-20 fps.

I think the reasons for the performance drop are multifactorial and not something there's an easy tweak for. I've tried lowering a lot of settings in the game and it's still not close to the same performance I had. I'm in the process of reverting back to 1.08 (40gb download on GOG Galaxy!). Maybe by the time I am ready to do any of the DLC (which apparently requires the patch) there will have been some solutions worked out.

Well to run a game i had to delete dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll, i have r9 280x and on lower settings i have 40 fps on open area on velen, previously i had 35-40 fps too but on high-ultra settings and hairworks on, i guess dlls are performance related and have a lot tweaks but wtf is going on.

If i dont delete those files when i start game it just saying game witcher 3 stop working, gg :D

Top Bottom