Performance is very bad since Patch 1.10

+
a small question if you delete the user.settings and the ini and then re work them again fps limit grass etc..
will it be alright?

I have exactly the same problems you have. Especially Novigrad is now unplayable for me. I used to have 60 fps solid and now the game is just dark as hell, stuttery and fps keeps dropping from 60 to 45. Game is unplayable because of this lag. Hope to find fix for this.

Did this change end up fixing things for you? I was thinking that if it was something as straight forward as this, then shouldn't it affect everyone. ? Hard to say. Maybe some of the people who say they don't notice a change were already well over 60fps, so they just don't notice any drop. In any case, I may go ahead and roll back to 1.08, unless there turns out to be a simple fix like this.
I don't think it was that, but I changed it to old values anyway since I don't see the difference in pop-up.
I did manage to fix frame skipping but I'm not sure what did it. I changed two other things. I increased TextureMemoryBudget from 800 to 1024 and I set TextureMipBias to 0. I think the last one was causing the issue for me since the only other way to get rid of the issue was to put textures on low.

Just wanted to add that deleting the d3d11.dll file did get my frame rate pretty close to what is was before. I'm not sure if it will negatively effect the game in other ways though.

I have exactly the same problems you have. Especially Novigrad is now unplayable for me. I used to have 60 fps solid and now the game is just dark as hell, stuttery and fps keeps dropping from 60 to 45. Game is unplayable because of this lag. Hope to find fix for this.

Sounds like the the game has switched to Borderless mode. Just change it back to Fullscreen in the Options Menu, then exit to Windows and restart. See if it maintains the Fullscreen setting.

This should sort out your gamma, at least.

---------- Updated at 06:55 PM ----------

Just wanted to add that deleting the d3d11.dll file did get my frame rate pretty close to what is was before. I'm not sure if it will negatively effect the game in other ways though.

Just wanted to confirm that I am running vanilla TW3, and there is no d3d11.dll present in the installation directory. Programs like SweetFX and mods that affect graphics will often include custom .DLL's for their own purposes. If leftover after an incomplete/improper uninstall, they can sit there and soak up processor cycles.

Either way, deleting it should be fine as it does not appear to be part of the game's official files.

Just wanted to confirm that I am running vanilla TW3, and there is no d3d11.dll present in the installation directory. Programs like SweetFX and mods that affect graphics will often include custom .DLL's for their own purposes. If leftover after an incomplete/improper uninstall, they can sit there and soak up processor cycles.

Either way, deleting it should be fine as it does not appear to be part of the game's official files.

It has nothing to do with SweetFX, I don't even use it. The GOG version of the game added d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll in patch 1.10. I verified this by completely uninstalling the game, deleting all leftover directories and reinstalling the game...and the two files appeared again. Removing them fixes performance. Steam users for some reason don't have the files, only GOG users do. Some people have theorized it's got something to do with the GOG Galaxy overlay.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with SweetFX, the GOG version of the game added d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll in patch 1.10. I verified this by completely uninstalling the game, deleting all leftover directories and reinstalling the game...and the two files appeared again. Removing them fixes performance. Steam users for some reason don't have the files, only GOG users do. Some people have theorized it's got something to do with the GOG Galaxy overlay.

This is also a possibility. The slowdown is probably something along the lines of the Nvidia Shield Streamer Service -- a whole lot of processing being soaked up for a feature you're likely never to use.

Solution is still the same: delete.

the fps drop just happened after the 1.10 patch, I have already completed the game before 1.08. I can't ensure the d3d11 is the main reason caused the problem。

It has nothing to do with SweetFX, I don't even use it. The GOG version of the game added d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll in patch 1.10. I verified this by completely uninstalling the game, deleting all leftover directories and reinstalling the game...and the two files appeared again. Removing them fixes performance. Steam users for some reason don't have the files, only GOG users do. Some people have theorized it's got something to do with the GOG Galaxy overlay.

It's not a theory.

I just unistalled the game from my PC, and installed the game from scratch using the setups from GOG website, base game + patch 1.10 + dlc full pack. No presence of the d3d11.dll and/or dxgi.dll.

Game is working fine so far with 0 crashes (970 + i7 4790k) and no fps drops, with all maxed out on Ultra except Shadows@High and no Hairworks, I get no less than 58fps in Novigrad.

Those dlls must come for sure from the Galaxy client (which I quit using a long time ago, it's only a liability).

Last edited:
I haven't the best of systems but I can run the game satisfactorily. Except near Triss' house or the sewers under it (carnal sins sewers). There is a drastically drop in frame rate in those locations.

I haven't the best of systems but I can run the game satisfactorily. Except near Triss' house or the sewers under it (carnal sins sewers). There is a drastically drop in frame rate in those locations.

can't agree more, the frame rate has a extreme drop at the place where near triss's house, I think that is not relative to my GTX980, it is possible a bug

The odd thing is that, as I said, I have no problem running 1.10 with my 970 PC, but on my older PC with an i5 2500k + 660Ti, I'm having a shitload of crashes (Driver nVidia has stopped working) and I can't understand why, since before it ran without problems.

I tried to raise the paging file up to 13000-16000 (min-max), giving witcher3.exe high cpu priority, reducing graphic settings, but nothing, eventually it crashes. The only apparent cause is that the GPU crashes when it reaches around 80°C (which is odd, since it should work fine up to 90°C), I'll try to play a session with the fans always at 90% to see if it's a temp problem.

Yeah, I thought that it could a memory chip too, but I wonder why up until the 1.06 (stopped playing at that patch, and jumped directly to 1.10) the game was running fine, while with the 1.10 I'm having so many video driver crashes (no changing in hardware and software on that PC).

Yeah, I thought that it could a memory chip too, but I wonder why up until the 1.06 (stopped playing at that patch, and jumped directly to 1.10) the game was running fine, while with the 1.10 I'm having so many video driver crashes (no changing in hardware and software on that PC).
They seem to change something in the streaming (less popin, PS4 improved fps). In my case VRAM utilisation for instance went up.

They seem to change something in the streaming (less popin, PS4 improved fps). In my case VRAM utilisation for instance went up.

Probably it's the increased VRAM requirement, the 660Ti has only 2GB VRAM, I have to try to decrease the textures memory utilization, maybe it will fix the crashes, since they're always caused by an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.

Probably it's the increased VRAM requirement, the 660Ti has only 2GB VRAM, I have to try to decrease the textures memory utilization, maybe it will fix the crashes, since they're always caused by an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
You might also want to look into tweaking texture mempool in inis.

Top Bottom