performance issues with Win11 + Intel 12th Gen

+
Greetings from Germany. Hallo.

I've just recently bought new laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalled. Reason for swapping is: On the old hardware, CPU is always around 98-100% since 1.5 and generally it was time to get a new one. Ironically the new one performs significantly worse than my old Intel 8th Gen laptop, but only in CP. Any other game I've tested does not have this issue. They all utilize both CPU and GPU very well. Even CPU bound Unreal Engine indie games run fine. To me, this concludes that it's not the CPU as suspected by me in the first place. I had questioned the CPU early on as potential root cause, because fans run suspiciously quiet and it felt like it's sat there on idle.

Here is the weird behavior I've experience on the new hardware:

At launch, the CPU and GPU are just fine, however once it's loading the save game, CPU frequency drops to around 1.4 GHz on all cores with 30% utilization. It almost looks like it's addressing all cores as one core as the graph is identical on all cores. Worst of all: GPU doodles at around 10-25 % max.

I've spend hours if not days on trying to fix this, like using different NVIDIA drivers, from the vendor support page and also NVIDIDA directly (standard and DCH) - none of them fixed my issue. I've even used the same latest recommended standard driver version by NVIDIA (472.12) on the old laptop and here it just works. FYI: The old previously had 512.15 installed. Also using the latest driver versions 511.X and 512.X did not make any difference at all.
I've also tried any other recommendation I could possibly find online, like using Performance power plan, applied recommended settings in NVIDIA control panel, ... nothing improved. Disabled full screen optimization - nothing. Disabled all kinds of overlays - nothing. You see where this is going ...
Firmware has been updated to last version available and I've installed all latest drivers - still the same crap. Eventually it felt like at some point any action on my end made it worse. Lovely! Good job! -.-'
I cannot wrap my head around this. This doesn't make any sense.

Wanting to enjoy CP on the new hardware, I've now downloaded a copy of Win10 and did a fresh install from USB as last resort. I just thought it makes sense to get used to Win11 due to Thread Director taking full advantage of Gen 12 in Win11. Unfortunately, did not make any screenshots before doing the fresh install, but:
Solution for now was to downgrade to Win10 even though the laptop officially has no drivers for it.
Now I question myself:
Which was the faulty part here? Win11? CP? NVIDIA driver implementation in Win11? Bad factory image?
Has anybody else encountered this and found a solution (other than installing Win10 - duh)? Any idea what this potentially could be? Would like to put my mind at rest.

Es könnte hilfreich sein, die genaue Hardware noch einmal zu nennen ;).

It might be helpful to mention the exact hardware.

Oh, aber klar natürlich.

Alt: Intel Core i7 8750H, 16 GB, GTX 1050 Ti MAX-Q
Neu: Intel Core i7 11700H, 16 GB, Intel Iris Xe

Angeschlossen wird über Thunderbolt 3 bzw. 4 an eine eGPU mit einer RTX 3070, welche wiederum zwei Full HD Monitore versorgt.

Forum regular
problems may be caused by different programs running on background. try to close them all. Keep graphic driver in something like default and disable xbox game bar. It helped me a lot. I had about 30FPS on Raytracing ultra graphic preset. Once I ran CP and I got 60FPS in benchmark and later even after loading latest save game. After entering game menu and return back FPS dropped back to the half (99% GPU load) and I was unable to simulate those 60FPS (about 80% GPU load). I won't waste your time by details. It was caused by something running in background. Maybe some overlay, driver, software. I uninstalled all support software for mouse, mainboard (gigabyte). Disabled all overlays and metrics. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

microsoft isn't one of the best software developers, I believe its partially thanks to one of bugs in windows 11. I never had fps drops and problems on older windows versions like on win 11. its young system full of bugs.

Like said, I've disabled all kinds of overlays. However, since you mention support software: Since the fresh install did not come with this lame excuse of vendor specific bloatware, the OSD and vendor specific power plans are gone. Maybe they had something to do with that.
Anyway, I will not waste any time on fresh installing Win11, that ship has sailed now. Thx for your help.

Hi guys! The story regarding Intel 12th Gen continues: Today, I have finally gained stable and good FPS (Y) when setting processor affinity only for the P-Cores in Task Manager. The reason I bring this up is because I've noticed that Win10 (donno about Win11, maybe works better there) primarily addressed the E-Cores, which, as we can all guess, are bad for gaming. Here's an article I've found around this: Intel 12th-Gen Core Alder Lake Architectural Benchmark | TechSpot. Thought this might be intersting for whomever wants to upgrae to 12th Gen.

Top Bottom