performance problem

+
performance problem

Please help i have some performance stuttering problems and low GPU usage in villages or city areas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJ9H7dmnKU&feature=youtu.be you can see the gpu usage on upper left corner.. please help
u can see i have no CPU bottleneck but when i disable Hyperthreading cpu usage is 100%

my PC:
memory : 8gb Adata 1333mhz
GPU : MSI gtx 970 GAMING 4G OC +140 mhz core clock, +500mhz memory clock
CPU : i7 4790K OC 4,6ghz
MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 3

psu: Fortron 600w bronze
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 256gb

This seems to happen in specific areas on all maps. Some of us refer to them as "FPS sink areas". Whatever causes it, it's not related to graphics directly, it seems to be limited to those specific areas, and it happens reliably. Leaving the area should clear up FPS almost immediately.

As far as I know, it happens on a lot of systems (mine included), and there is no known fix (or even cause). Capping your FPS to 60 or less mitigates the effect somewhat, but you'll still see it. It's like the game goes into "hyper-processing mode" in those spots.

Hm, I have a Z97-A mobo in my rig now, actually. I'm seeing the same stutter in those areas no matter what. I had an ASUS RoG G71 laptop before, and had the same stutter in the same areas. Might be something to do with the higher-end ASUS architecture or firmware, then.

unless you set everything to high-medium, no hairworks, you will always have stuttering with a gtx970

what resolution is that?

#cyberpunkforever my resolution is 1920x1080
i have seen many videos with mutch better performance on almost same rig as mine

unless you set everything to high-medium, no hairworks, you will always have stuttering with a gtx970

what resolution is that?

The stuttering I experienced had nothing to do with graphical settings at all. It was all CPU spiking. I got exactly the same thing on a GTX 670m and a GTX 980 ti. The stutter I think the OP is identifying is the "hitch" that occurs every 1-3 seconds. It would never show as FPS loss in-game.

so there is no fix for that? my father has new MSI notebook with gtx 960m and i5 6300 i tried witcher 3 on his PC he has in villages and cities 100% cpu usage but no stuttering and stable 40 fps.. i have barely 70% and i have big stuttering

so there is no fix for that? my father has new MSI notebook with gtx 960m and i5 6300 i tried witcher 3 on his PC he has in villages and cities 100% cpu usage but no stuttering and stable 40 fps.. i have barely 70% and i have big stuttering

I fixed it by fiddling with different combinations of Vsync, refresh rate, frame limit, and fullscreen/borderless.

My sweet spot is:

Vsync = ON through in-game menu.
Refresh Rate = 60 Hz
Frame Limit = 60 FPS through in-game menu
Fullscreen

No hitching or stuttering at all. Others claim they need to use Borderless mode. Others claim they have disable in-game Vsync and force it through the Control Panel. Every system is different, but there will be a combo that works for you. Ideally, you do not want the game to ever exceed 60 FPS. Uncapping frames completely can start causeing issues if FPS gets too high. TW3 really wants to run at 30 FPS, and it will cooperate with 60. Going over that can create physics issues or dropped frames, which can then muck with other stuff.

Also, be sure you have "Frames to render ahead" forced to 1 in the Nvidia Control Panel game specific settings.

#SigilFey thanks for tips.. i´ve set setting to vsync on maximum prerendered frames to 1 and frame rate lock to 60 it helped a bit.. but i think i have damaged GPU i have tried other games like Firewatch i had very unstable gpu usage too.. i saw video of somenone playing it on gtx 970 like me and he had stable 99% gpu usage

#SigilFey thanks for tips.. i´ve set setting to vsync on maximum prerendered frames to 1 and frame rate lock to 60 it helped a bit.. but i think i have damaged GPU i have tried other games like Firewatch i had very unstable gpu usage too.. i saw video of somenone playing it on gtx 970 like me and he had stable 99% gpu usage

Hmmm...

If you have any OC on your card, try disabling it and run it at default clock speeds. I've not played Firewatch, so I can't really help with a comparison, but I do know that TW3 can drag even powerful hardware to its knees for reasons that are not always GPU related. There's a ton of CPU processing going on here, too. The secret is ensuring that neither your GPU or CPU gets too far ahead of the other. "Synced" is the magic word to defeat stutter.

If you're seeing the same type of stutter in other games, then it could be a driver or HDD/SSD issue. I had a bit of the same problem a few years ago while running OS on an SSD and games off of an HDD.

Or it could be power. Can you ensure all Windows and GPU settings are not set to Power Saving or Balanced modes?

I have tried it with and without OC. Firewatch is not only game i have problem with. I have power management on high performance in windows in nvidia i have set power management to adaptive because there is no difference between prefer maximum performance and adaptive when i have maximum performance my gpu stays on 59 temp when i have adaptive its around 35 i thought there might be some max performance options in BIOS but i didnt found any.. on my old ASUS MB there have been power saving balanced and turbo mode..

With your GPU, you definitely want it set to Maximum Performance. I'm not sure why your card is idling at 59°C, though -- that certainly sounds as if you have a cooling or ventilation issue. My 980 ti (and the rest of the system) is set for High/Maximum performance, and the GPU idles at ~40°C, usually hits 55°C in use, and caps below 70°C under maximum load. That's with the default fans -- no extra cooling. Although, I did use Afterburner to create a better fan speed curve. The default curve tends to allow it to climb to nearly 80°C before kicking in the cooling. (Even if the card can take it, other components in your box are not going to enjoy those temperatures.)

Also, depending on how a program makes calls to the GPU, Adaptive or Balanced power settings may continuously throttle the voltage, ensuring the card never gets to properly "spin up". I'd definitely look into to adding some cooling, though. Even if it doesn't fix the stutter, idling at 59°C at default voltage is very high. Your PC is suffocating.

I wanted to change cooling paste but there is warranty on this i´ll better wait for next generation GPUs. When im playing with this gpu OCed im on 68-70 celsius my fans are not rotating when tempts are under 60 so that´s why i have 59 celsius in idle but still in adaptive mode i have max 40 celsius in idle with 0% fans rotation and my case has good airflow Zalman Z11 plus red

Sorry to belabor the point, but if idle temperatures are excessive, it is time to revisit all of your assumptions, including your belief that airflow is adequate. A quality case is a prerequisite of good airflow, not a guarantor of it. Airflow is also dependent on assembly and environment, and even a good case may benefit from greater attention to fan placement and direction. GPU performance may also depend on power supply quality; poorly regulated power can cause hard-to-diagnose problems. You may also have a valid warranty claim on the GPU.

What @GuyNwah pointed out is true. Is this an off-the-shelf system, or did you custom build / upgrade? If it was custom, validating those idle temperatures should be enough to get some free work done on it to rectify the issue.

I looked at the Zalman case, and it seems nicely designed! Another possibility is where you have the box sitting. A rig with the horsepower you're describing should definitely be placed in the open air (not tucked into a tower compartment in a desk or something). Are you sure you have 4-6 inches of clearance for all of the vents? Have you air-dusted inside regularly?

I have my PC case on table https://ctrlv.cz/C8Z5. I think i have good airflow other components have good temperatures GPU too if it´s on adaptive mode. My power supply is Zalman ZM600-LX. Well i think i´ll go and exchange gpu for new one sooner or later

Do you have another card that would work in the system? It might be a better idea to figure out if you have a voltage or circulation problem before spending money on an upgrade. Besides, if it is a fault in the system or design somewhere, you should be entitled to a replacement system.

Firstly, though, I would open the case and be sure everything is seated properly, all fans are spinning, and you're not seeing any red lights that stay on continuously. (Except for the ambiance lights, course. [Why didn't you just choose BLUE like everyone else? :p ])

When im playing with this gpu OCed im on 68-70 celsius my fans are not rotating when tempts are under 60 so that´s why i have 59 celsius in idle

This may be a dumb question, but why aren't they rotating until temps are 60? What are you using to control fan speed?

I'm in a tropical climate, and my PC is in a cabinet (good airflow, but still not as much as if it were just on my desk). My idle temps on a 970 are in the low 40s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom