Periodic crashes in Windows XP SP2 - Computer Exceeds System Recommendations

+
having similar problems, i also noticed you had an x1950, alot of people having crashes with these cards, i posted on another page about dice because of this card. anyway following EDIT: whoevers method (i forget) im lost, i goto edit and all i see is:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimerany help? thanks

I to am haveing the same problem IT NEVER just crashes only when changeing zones and I just built this pc and it way more then meets the mini specs. I am haveing to make sure I save a lot but its takeing the fun away and from all the post I see on this issue think another patch is due.

pranksterprince said:
having similar problems, i also noticed you had an x1950, alot of people having crashes with these cards, i posted on another page about dice because of this card. anyway following EDIT: whoevers method (i forget) im lost, i goto edit and all i see is:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimerany help? thanks
No no, just search for the file Boot.ini, back it up and add that line to the ini file by opening it in notepad, here a link with more info... http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx

Same situation. I play a LOT on this computer .. its a gaming machine. It crashes ALL THE TIME ... I like this game, but it seems like since I hit chapter 4, I am crashing more than 2 times an hour. It is extremely annoying.It has no overheat issues.Gforce 8800GTXCore2 Duo 2GB RAM

Sinorf said:
Same situation. I play a LOT on this computer .. its a gaming machine. It crashes ALL THE TIME ... I like this game, but it seems like since I hit chapter 4, I am crashing more than 2 times an hour. It is extremely annoying.It has no overheat issues.Gforce 8800GTXCore2 Duo 2GB RAM
Well, my desktop bumps kept getting more frequent in chap 4 and then kinda funny but, they were solved by moving my 200+ save files (most were autosaves) into a separate folder and just keeping a handful of current saves, keeping my play times down to a 4-5 hour max may have helped, along with exiting any current game I am in before loading a save.

i also noticed you had an x1950, alot of people having crashes with these cards,
actually, I had a lot of problems (most games would crash on start!) with several recent games and the MOST RECENT drivers for the x1950.I went back to using catalyst 7.7 (Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0510) and haven't had any problems with any games since.this particular game has never actually crashed on me once, in two playthroughs (so far).so, I would recommend trying out some of the older catalyst versions (7.7 is the latest I seem to be able to run stably).

SirToejam said:
i also noticed you had an x1950, alot of people having crashes with these cards,
actually, I had a lot of problems (most games would crash on start!) with several recent games and the MOST RECENT drivers for the x1950.I went back to using catalyst 7.7 (Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0510) and haven't had any problems with any games since.this particular game has never actually crashed on me once, in two playthroughs (so far).so, I would recommend trying out some of the older catalyst versions (7.7 is the latest I seem to be able to run stably).
X1950XTX AGP here. This is what I did to stop newer driver instability ---> http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8330.msg214187#msg214187

ok so far so good with 3gb change thanks trac, but still having crashes whenever i play poker, seems to be random crashes but quite frequent, its nothing my comp cant handle been able to play whole game on high settings without too much trouble.any thoughts on this problem?

Now there is a new Windows XP Service Pack 3 with many problem fixes included - it even speeds up and streamlines Windows XP one more time ... only good things to hear about this SP3.Maybe that would help ... size of the SP3 is about 350 MB - i've installed it, no problems on my system since installation 3 weeks ago.Same goes for Vista - i've installed prerelease version of Vista SP1 Release Candidate - about 750 MB. No problems either since then.

SP3 is still beta and probably still filled with more bugs id like to cope with id wait for a few updates on sp3 before i get that

tracido said:
tracido said:
X1950XTX AGP here. This is what I did to stop newer driver instability ---> http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8330.msg214187#msg214187
been using a fixed swapfile for years now.there are MANY others that have reported similar problems with the later AGP drivers from ATI.I rather think it likely that the issue is related to an incompatibility between those drivers and certain MB chipsets.seriously, though, ATI hasn't improved performance for any of their AGP drivers in quite a while, so there really isn't much reason to use anything later than 7.7 anyway.

Nice, thanx for the info.I will say this though; with ATI I have only had a single solitary game (Soul Reaver 1) that will not play with newer drivers, Nvidia was a driver switching marathon for playing older games and newer ones on the same PC.I might give a test to some of that stuff myself. Since the only reason I updated drivers was to run Gears of War without a warning, runs like chop suey compared to this game (but runs and never crashes to desktop) so almost pointless.As I said though as long as my ATI Tray Tools is running it never crashes the PC at all, no matter what I play or how I clock; and I still think this game runs much better than anything else I had issues with like another one recently and all it's CTD glory: Hellgate London, ehem...

I have the same problem with my computer Speccs:Intel Pentium e7400 2.8ghz dual coreClub 3D ati Radeon 4850 512mb2gb Value ramAsus p5ql profull settings no problems with framerates: I get random crashes when the game has loaded and I move some in the next area and constat crashes on saves/autosavesI have also noticed that before the game crashes the inventory/map/journal all of em are entirely black if you open them, and if you try to save when they've gotten black you'll get a crash to desktopso what should i do since i haven't found a solution. I have the new 1.5 patchonce again no problems with other new games... It is a hell to play the game as it is right now thanks to crashes and you have to run through the same place 2-5 times...

Perse said:
full settings no problems with framerates: I get random crashes when the game has loaded and I move some in the next area and constat crashes on saves/autosavesI have also noticed that before the game crashes the inventory/map/journal all of em are entirely black if you open them, and if you try to save when they've gotten black you'll get a crash to desktopso what should i do since i haven't found a solution. I have the new 1.5 patchonce again no problems with other new games... It is a hell to play the game as it is right now thanks to crashes and you have to run through the same place 2-5 times...
Vista? :hmmm:read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( disable Autosave, see the Vista tips )

Top Bottom