Persistent audio problems after Whispering Hillock

+

Sometime after I embarked upon Ladies of the Wood and tracked The Whispering Hillock (I'd since read elsewhere that tracking this quest might cause the problem,) I started having audio problems, although I didn't realize it until I encountered the spirit in the tree. I never heard a single word of the spirit's dialog. Assuming it was an isolated bug, I kept playing, making the surprisingly-consequential choice despite not having any idea what was going on. Unfortunately, the bug has persisted. When I spoke to the Crones immediately afterward, I only heard about 5% of their dialog, although I heard all the insect buzzing effects. Then, during Ciri's section, other parts of the audio - sometimes dialog, often music, and frequently sound effects - cut out. I played about another hour or so into the game, and now, the audio loss is more subtle, but it appears to be persistent. I always hear Geralt's dialog - and thus, his end of conversations - but it seems everyone else's can be impacted. The searching I've done on this topic so far suggests a lot of people have encountered variations on this problem over the years, but I haven't seen any definite solutions for PS4 users. I'm hoping Projekt Red has a good amount of data on the problem already.

I'm on a PS4 (not PS4 Pro), playing the digital download of Wild Hunt: Complete Edition. I've tried reloading an earlier save (but one from after the problem started), and the problem was still present. Is there some verified way to prevent myself from experiencing this problem in the future? Or do I have to re-play the last several hours and make sure I don't track Whispering Hillock while in the whispering hillock?

Have you tried to reload a save before the problem has started?

So, before you start that quest.

Also keep the audio settings of your PS4 as below:

Select
(Settings) > [Sound and Screen] > [Audio Output Settings] > [Audio Format (Priority)]. The default setting is [Linear PCM].

I did reload a previous save. (Ugh, about three hours lost.) This time, I made sure not to track The Whispering Hillock quest. I was able to hear all of the spirit's dialog. "Hooray!" I thought. "The problem is resolved." Only I'd made some different choices now that I had context for what was happening in game. I bargained with the spirit, and it automatically switched me to tracking the Hillock quest. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. The rest of the parts of the quest involving the tree spirit were free of audio problems.

This would have indicated a happy ending... except once the quest was completed, and I was face-to-face with the Crones, most of their audio (and the related music) were missing. Interestingly, slightly different parts were working/not-working. I don't know whether it's significant that in each case, I could hear the insect-buzzing effects during that scene.

Fortunately, although that scene was once again ruined, I haven't had further audio problems. (Unfortunately, I developed a crashing-from-inventory problem very shortly thereafter, but I'll post in another thread about that.)

Witcher
I did reload a previous save. (Ugh, about three hours lost.) This time, I made sure not to track The Whispering Hillock quest. I was able to hear all of the spirit's dialog. "Hooray!" I thought. "The problem is resolved." Only I'd made some different choices now that I had context for what was happening in game. I bargained with the spirit, and it automatically switched me to tracking the Hillock quest. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. The rest of the parts of the quest involving the tree spirit were free of audio problems.

This would have indicated a happy ending... except once the quest was completed, and I was face-to-face with the Crones, most of their audio (and the related music) were missing. Interestingly, slightly different parts were working/not-working. I don't know whether it's significant that in each case, I could hear the insect-buzzing effects during that scene.

Fortunately, although that scene was once again ruined, I haven't had further audio problems. (Unfortunately, I developed a crashing-from-inventory problem very shortly thereafter, but I'll post in another thread about that.)
II had same bug with same missions. Bug is still happening and it isnt fixed. Solution is simple luckily if you notice audio bug has started Just save game and turn off or restart console and bug Will completely dissapear and wont return again. You can track quest directly and choose any option that doesnt matter.

I've just had this same bug, same place, same console and can confirm Bracala's solution worked for me. Had no audio while first talking to the tree spirit, told him I'd decide later, saved it, turned it off and reloaded and everything went back to normal so happy days.

As for the cause I think it has something to do with using your Witcher senses when you first approach the tree and he's talking because I'm pretty sure that's what I was doing when I first saw the subtitles and was confused why I didn't hear any audio after that.

Hope this helps

I can confirm this bug starts after talking to Ealdorman in Downwarren village ( man that cuts his ear later). I payed attention in my last 3 playthrough and each time bug happens after talking to him.

Things I can´t confirm but its plausible asking for more info triggers this bug. During conversation with him you have 3 dialogue options ,first one must be selected to progress and end conversation while other 2 are optional its possible this triggers bug, but I am not sure.

Bug is easily fixed by restarting console (worked every time for me )

Hi guys as you know there is common audio bug in ladies of the wood quest on PS4 when going to whispering hillock . The bug will make most of the sound disappear and if not resolved quickly it can remain in game.

Now I payed attention and tested this 4 times (managed to trigger it each time ) and I am 100 % certain bug occurs after speaking with Ealdorman in Downwarren .You can check it easily simply by using Aard or Quen sign, if you dont hear noise signs create it means bug occured. Solution is very simple just manual save and restart PS4 it always work but you must do it at this point immediately after speaking with ealdorman .

People were saying bug occurs if you track whispering hillock quest directly but that is nonsense bug occurs before that option even becomes available.

I hope someone here can show this to CDPR in order to patch this in upcoming next generation update.

Sometime after I embarked upon Ladies of the Wood and tracked The Whispering Hillock (I'd since read elsewhere that tracking this quest might cause the problem,) I started having audio problems, although I didn't realize it until I encountered the spirit in the tree. I never heard a single word of the spirit's dialog. Assuming it was an isolated bug, I kept playing, making the surprisingly-consequential choice despite not having any idea what was going on. Unfortunately, the bug has persisted. When I spoke to the Crones immediately afterward, I only heard about 5% of their dialog, although I heard all the insect buzzing effects. Then, during Ciri's section, other parts of the audio - sometimes dialog, often music, and frequently sound effects - cut out. I played about another hour or so into the game, and now, the audio loss is more subtle, but it appears to be persistent. I always hear Geralt's dialog - and thus, his end of conversations - but it seems everyone else's can be impacted. The searching I've done on this topic so far suggests a lot of people have encountered variations on this problem over the years, but I haven't seen any definite solutions for PS4 users. I'm hoping Projekt Red has a good amount of data on the problem already.

I'm on a PS4 (not PS4 Pro), playing the digital download of Wild Hunt: Complete Edition. I've tried reloading an earlier save (but one from after the problem started), and the problem was still present. Is there some verified way to prevent myself from experiencing this problem in the future? Or do I have to re-play the last several hours and make sure I don't track Whispering Hillock while in the whispering hillock?
Post automatically merged:

I encountered the same problem. After tree mission and talking to the crones, during the ciri appearing through a portal i closed the application and started it again. Game started from autosave in which the tree spirit becomes the horse. And after that the sound plays fine

I encountered the same problem. After tree mission and talking to the crones, during the ciri appearing through a portal i closed the application and started it again. Game started from autosave in which the tree spirit becomes the horse. And after that the sound plays fine

Top Bottom