Personal opinion: Ardal decks are the worst thing to ever happen to Gwent.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a 2 parts to this. 1st off. Ardal decks are outright encouraged to be "unitless" to maximize his effect. That in combination with Ardal decks that main every possible way to seize and refrealsh their leader ability promote a very unhealthy, anti fun way of playing the game that imo, is far worse than vsing old unitless decks (having your cards stolen is frustrating and is more effectve than banishing).

This brings in part 2. In my personal experience, mist Ardal players are griefing. Most times they constantly wait out the timer, playing cards at the last second, taunt spam, not gg, etc.

If a deck is seemingly attracting a core playerbase of trolls...it's probably not healthy for the game.

Just an opinion. Take it or leave it.

Ardal is good against certain match-ups, but he isn't even prevalent in meta.

Unitless wasn't really meta either yet it got hit for the same principal; being a griefing deck.

It's not about balance, it's about anti fun design that at least from what I've seen, attracts the lovely people who like to waste as much as your time as possible with the turn timer, taunt spam, DC when losing and to make things worse they don't even gg after.

If a certain deck is being used by bad manner players frequently then it may need to be looked at.

There's a 2 parts to this. 1st off. Ardal decks are outright encouraged to be "unitless" to maximize his effect. That in combination with Ardal decks that main every possible way to seize and refrealsh their leader ability promote a very unhealthy, anti fun way of playing the game that imo, is far worse than vsing old unitless decks (having your cards stolen is frustrating and is more effectve than banishing).

This brings in part 2. In my personal experience, mist Ardal players are griefing. Most times they constantly wait out the timer, playing cards at the last second, taunt spam, not gg, etc.

If a deck is seemingly attracting a core playerbase of trolls...it's probably not healthy for the game.

Just an opinion. Take it or leave it.
You're right. NG is the griefing faction. Nasty Griefing - NG. Not with Ardal though, but Usurper. Somehow-pissed-off people start playing Usurper and/or the full deck manipulation package (Courier, Viper Witcher, Traheaern, Deithwen Arbalest, Cantarella) so that they can automatically and without any thinking effort shut down an opponent leader and deck strategy that was carefully put together. Let's laugh hard when we banish a few 10+ provision cards from the opponent's deck with our cheap bronze cards and rejoice in how bad the sucker must feel as he/she is unable to do anything against this level of skill. Let's praise our amazing strategic intellect when we automatically shut down the leader ability of Arachas Queen and other leaders who actually fight with and support their armies. Now we can forget about the games we lost with other leaders and decks (because real strategic thinking is not our strong point? Nah!). Man that feels so good!

It's a type of fun that is completely wrong and I think you're right that a lot of times, griefing is the correct word for it.

Do you have any statistics backing this claim? Or is it just running into a couple of matches that made you feel this way?

You're right. NG is the griefing faction. Nasty Griefing - NG. Not with Ardal though, but Usurper. Somehow-pissed-off people start playing Usurper and/or the full deck manipulation package (Courier, Viper Witcher, Traheaern, Deithwen Arbalest, Cantarella) so that they can automatically and without any thinking effort shut down an opponent leader and deck strategy that was carefully put together. Let's laugh hard when we banish a few 10+ provision cards from the opponent's deck with our cheap bronze cards and rejoice in how bad the sucker must feel as he/she is unable to do anything against this level of skill. Let's praise our amazing strategic intellect when we automatically shut down the leader ability of Arachas Queen and other leaders who actually fight with and support their armies. Now we can forget about the games we lost with other leaders and decks (because real strategic thinking is not our strong point? Nah!). Man that feels so good!

Sounds like we should remove NG from the game entirely and just play a game of buff and remove. No wait, control decks ruin the fun as well, just buff and point slam then!

Guest 4305932

It's a type of fun that is completely wrong and I think you're right that a lot of times, griefing is the correct word for it.

Oh it really feels good. Traheaern on a 3 gold topdeck + Cantarella + Sword. But the real fun starts when you read certain post...

It's not about balance, it's about anti fun design that at least from what I've seen, attracts the lovely people who like to waste as much as your time as possible with the turn timer, taunt spam, DC when losing and to make things worse they don't even gg after.

If a certain deck is being used by bad manner players frequently then it may need to be looked at.

People can bm with every deck, The idea that you have to change a deck because of his player is really weird

Last edited by a moderator:

That's a valid point. Usurper deck mill via bronze is definitely worse and imo, totally abusive.

NG is supposed to e about control and disruption and that's cool.
Do you have any statistics backing this claim? Or is it just running into a couple of matches that made you feel this way?

Sounds like we should remove NG from the game entirely and just play a game of buff and remove. No wait, control decks ruin the fun as well, just buff and point slam then!

I think some things should generally be considered sacred ground.

1) Seizing. You either have to have a massive pita restriction or it needs to be a super high provision cost. Muzzle is a great example of this done right. Lock, 5 points or under and costs a ton of provision. Sweers while damn good has the caveat of 3 provision or under. Ardal is on demand, can be refreshed, can be used with other seize combos for a seize themed deck...taking another players' cards is generally a huge nono.

2) Screwing with the deck. Again...it's a frustration factor. The player gets to load your deck then banish key cards...and there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to smile and nod. Big nono in terms of design again.

NG can easily do control and disruption without mass seize and deck tomfoolery.
Post automatically merged:

No statistic, just something I notice a lot. Like I said, this is a personal opinion. I'm not claiming this is reality, just that it seems that a lot of griefers flock to Ardal and Usurper with milling shenanigans that you cannot stop.

NG can easily do control and disruption without mass seize and deck tomfoolery.

What is your idea of disruption then (aside from locks which seem to bother some as well)? As i see it disrupting is exactly messing with your opponents hand/deck/graveyard and board. You can claim its not fun, but you can't say that disrupting is ok only without any actual disruption.

No statistic, just something I notice a lot. Like I said, this is a personal opinion. I'm not claiming this is reality, just that it seems that a lot of griefers flock to Ardal and Usurper with milling shenanigans that you cannot stop.

Again, the discussion starts with a certain deck/palaystyle ruining the fun and then moving to unfair/OP aspects of them. Weather or not the milling shenanigans can be stopped, these decks most certainly can be. The fun/unfun aspect is a personal opinion (as you stated in the name of the thread), but for me personally playing sometimes against slightly annoying decks that i can compete with and defeat is much more fun than playing against the same meta deck over and over again that makes either to make a counter/join the meta and play only that. Different archetypes and playstyles diversify the game even if some are somewhat annoying groups of palyers. As long as there are no perpetual balance issues that put one archetype on the top its fine by me.

I like Ardal a lot because he is a very flexible leader. You can play heavy tactics, spies, assimilate maybe even soldiers. Can´t say if these decks are all viable on higher ranks.

Even if you play tactic heavy deck you never play more than 8 tactic cards, so you run about 17 units in your deck. Thats not a unitless list to me. If you want to annoy your opponents there are other decks you can play.

I've met about 1 Ardal and 0 Usurpers this season. If they were as powerful and easy to drive as you suggest, they would've been way more prevalent in the meta.

The general tone of this thread is rather nasty; constantly accusing other players of being "griefers" because they play decks you don't like. That's not an okay thing to do. You can have whatever opinions you wish, but you cannot voice them like that. Not on this forum, because we have rules that specifically forbid such behaviour.

I'm going to close this thread before it can turn even more unpleasant.
Discussing Ardal is fine, naturally, but it needs to be done in a less unfriendly manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom