Personality Types

+
I must be the life and soul of this party. I am surprised that so many of you are introverts because you don't seem it. But then I suppose that's the difference between online and offline.

One thing I find weird is that when I meet people for the first time I am not shy at all, but if I meet someone I have already "met" online I feel 500% awkward and very shy.

Most of us are introverts because we prefer quiet spaces and we (personally I do, I assume others do too) find crowded situations exhausting. I hate small talk and don't care about gossip.

However, I personally like low key parties, going out to certain clubs and bars and I'm very talkative when I am drunk. Introvert is not the same as having a total social handicap.

Edit: For example, I wouldn't go to a mainstream dance club, swarming with jocks and gold diggers, but I'd go to a dive bar with buddies, listen to good music and chug a few liters of alcohol. Or do the same thing at someone's house.

Last edited:
Most of us are introverts because we prefer quiet spaces and we (personally I do, I assume others do too) find crowded situations exhausting. I hate small talk and don't care about gossip.

However, I personally like low key parties, going out to certain clubs and bars and I'm very talkative when I am drunk. Introvert is not the same as having a total social handicap.

Yeah I never said that I think it means that. Actually although I am an extrovert I'm also very happy spending large periods of my time alone. But I like having people around me (I don't like spending long periods of time in a house all by myself or I feel like I'm going to go crazy) but if there's someone else around the house I can quite happily spend weeks doing my own thing.

And I also get the thing where if I'm at a party or surrounded by loads of people for a long time I eventually need time by myself to recharge. Because of this for a while I didn't think I was an introvert or an extrovert because I had things in common with both sides.

Well, being an introvert doesn't necessarily mean you're not loud or mean etc. Just that you don't really like discussing/expressing your actual feelings.

What does being mean have to do with being an extrovert :mean:

edit: also i did the test thingy and got 62% for the sociability thing.

I mentioned in the earlier discussion about my dread of "small-talk" conversations, especially in a business environment.

I've happily agreed to sing solo, in a language I don't speak, on a stage in front of 2000 people who knew who I was and were in a position to tease me about it the next day.
I regularly had to give formal presentations to twenty or thirty representatives of a customer, in situations that might not exactly have been hostile, but where the customers expected to be able to stop you at any point to ask hard-hitting questions, and knew more technically than I did, and handled them just fine.
But put me in a crowded room and tell me to mingle and make conversation, and I'll break out in a sweat and go and hide somewhere. And I have panic attacks in noisy, crowded malls.
I think I'm just contrary.

Because of this for a while I didn't think I was an introvert or an extrovert because I had things in common with both sides.

That's because people are rarely in those extremes. Most of us are somewhere in between. When you try to classify complex systems (such as people) into discrete and non overlapping categories you end up with a lot of problems at their limits. That's like saying you're either social or anti-social.

Edit: Remember these tests are (specially the ones online) mostly for fun.

Last edited:
True. Trying to cram people into 2 categories is never going to work out well.

Also another reason why the Harry Potter sorting hat nonsense always annoys me! You can't sort people into a group based on the fact that they're sneaky and mean or brave and stupid, Sometimes people are mean and stupid or brave and mean!!!!!

True. Trying to cram people into 2 categories is never going to work out well.

Also another reason why the Harry Potter sorting hat nonsense always annoys me! You can't sort people into a group based on the fact that they're sneaky and mean or brave and stupid, Sometimes people are mean and stupid or brave and mean!!!!!

And sometimes people are smart and stupid. There's lots of those with teaching positions.

And sometimes people are smart and stupid. There's lots of those with teaching positions.

True. I had a maths teacher once who I'm sure was great at maths but he sucked at teaching. He'd stand at the front for 20 minutes explaining why he had no time to teach us and then he'd go sit in the staff room with a coffee while we worked from books.

I only passed maths because of my genius friend that tutored me.
edit: and funnily enough that genius friend also was really dumb when it came to talking to women. Nobody can be a genius at everything, I suppose.

Last edited:
This is what fascinates me about us humans in general, we are chaotic, depending on the circumstances and situations we would do contrary things that we won't normally do, and even then, our personalities change over time, tracking one person's life will always surprise you what they have been and what they have become later on.

Last edited:
Like every arrogant nerd who spend too much time on the internet, I'm a INTsomething (P, in my case).
I discreetly attended a MBTI course provided by a certified MBTI teacher when I was working in a business school last year. I thought it was less interesting for itself than for how it can help you to deal with other types. If you have a hard time finding a career and had 193490348 jobs this can be somewhat helpful too. Obviously it can't help you to write clear sentences though.

Like 99% of this forum ;].
Being on a forum and not talking in your native language is for introvert people?

Nope!

Just for those who don't care for their sanity, past or future one
The real test is public speaking english in front of english people or people who don't speak your native language.

That is pure insanity for introvert people.

I mean you have the whole speech ready in your mind and then...at the crucial point... you're like: "... potato."
*neural collapse*
Or worse. They don't understand you and you have to repeat the sentence. The result is not better: "Yes... potato."

Being on a forum and not talking in your native language is for introvert people?

I read a good explanation of the difference between Myers-Briggs introverts (I) and extroverts (E) once. It's not to do with being sociable or not. It's to do with "mental energy" (which is an overbroad term meaning your alertness, willingness, and ability to engage in more mental activity). Extroverts derive mental energy from social contact; introverts expend mental energy to get through times of social contact. What is energizing for an extrovert is an effort for an introvert.

The introvert-extrovert dimension in Myers-Briggs theory is the only one that has much of a foundation. The rest, as any *ST* will point out, is without solid evidence or independent peer review.

Last edited:
Top Bottom