Perspective Thread: Third Person vs First Person debate goes HERE.

+

What type of games do you play?

• I prefer FPP games

• I prefer FPP games (but I want TPP in CP2077)

• I prefer TPP games

• I prefer TPP games (but I want FPP in CP2077)

• I like both (but I want FPP in CP2077)

• I like both (but I want TPP in CP2077)

• I have no preference

• I have NEVER completed a FPP game due to motion sickness

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And i am willing to listen why is the best choice... But the reasons they provided are vague and sadly not things that could not be solved by implementing both visuals.

And that is what makes it subpar..
There's absolutely nothing "subpar" about First Person, Third Person, Isometric, or Top Down viewing perspectives.
Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

You may prefer one over another, but that doesn't make your preference inherently superior to the others.

And -- a general warning.

We've got some heat in the discussion here. Several posts edited; several posts deleted. People are already beginning to try to argue by shutting others down or addressing people's intelligence, not their subjective opinions, which absolutely no one else is required to understand or agree with.

KNOCK IT OFF.

I don't care how passionate anyone is for FPP or TPP -- You are required to respect the other opinion.

Do not attempt to force your opinion onto others. Do not attempt to belittle, deride, or trivialize other views. All opinions are welcome, and all opinions will be respected. If you're having trouble with this -- DO NOT POST.

I think when it comes down to it, CDPR is going to do what they think is best. I'm a huge supporter of TPP, but if they want to go with FPP, then I will trust their judgment. I actually think what they're doing with the HUD and cybernetics is super cool, and I'm all for FPP combat. I simply wanted TPP to walk around the city with and to enjoy the character customization that I will spend hours playing with. Not in a mirror or in the inventory, but actually walking around the city.

If and when a mod comes out that allows TPP, I will download it, but until then, I accept and eagerly await FPP Cyberpunk.

I think when it comes down to it, CDPR is going to do what they think is best. I'm a huge supporter of TPP, but if they want to go with FPP, then I will trust their judgment. I actually think what they're doing with the HUD and cybernetics is super cool, and I'm all for FPP combat. I simply wanted TPP to walk around the city with and to enjoy the character customization that I will spend hours playing with. Not in a mirror or in the inventory, but actually walking around the city.

If and when a mod comes out that allows TPP, I will download it, but until then, I accept and eagerly await FPP Cyberpunk.

That's pretty much the reality at this point. :)

In the end, a lot of people had their hopes up and held visions in their mind about what the game would be. (I know I did!) And, The Witcher Series kind of established a "CDPR thing" that people began to associate with their games. (Namely, TPP in vast, detailed worlds with incredible stories and cinematic custcenes.)

In practice, though, it's not a studio's responsibility to remain faithful to the "pre-conceptions" of their players. Many companies do handle things that way, and personally, I feel that it often results in the stagnation of their products. Example: I can easily say that playing Morrowind was the single, most epic world in an RPG I had ever seen -- more impactful and awe-inspiring than any other gameworld I had even imagined. But, I got bored after about 5 hours of Fallout 4. Problem was, from Morrowind to Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim to Fallout 4...nothing really changed. Sure, the graphics got better and the settings were different, but the core gameplay of all the games is, inherently, exactly the same. I could also argue that about FarCry, Assassin's Creed, the Souls/Borne games, Call of Duty, etc. Not that they're "bad" games (not even remotely!), but in many ways, they stopped getting better. They stopped taking risks, and therefore stopped surprising players the way the original game in a series did.

CDPR has always mixed things up. One of the reasons I like all of their games is because, individually, they're so unique. TW2 didn't try to maintain the mechanics of TW1 -- it created a wholly different approach to make things much more cinematic because that was the vision the studio had for that game. TW3 didn't attempt to keep things familiar either -- it was a wholly different feel because that was a more effective way to handle the open world aspects in that game. I would argue that such an approach didn't just make things better over time...they got a lot better. CDPR was never trying to maintain a specific identity with their gameplay, they were always trying to best fulfill their vision for each title.

Now, CP 2077 is departing from the mold again, and I have total faith that it's being done because that's what best fulfills the vision of this game. It may not be expected. It may not fulfill the imaginings of players. It may not be to everyone's liking (...and neither was TW1, TW2, or TW3).

However, I think that it will utterly nail what it is trying to do.

CDPR has always mixed things up. One of the reasons I like all of their games is because, individually, they're so unique. TW2 didn't try to maintain the mechanics of TW1 -- it created a wholly different approach to make things much more cinematic because that was the vision the studio had for that game. TW3 didn't attempt to keep things familiar either -- it was a wholly different feel because that was a more effective way to handle the open world aspects in that game. I would argue that such an approach didn't just make things better over time...they got a lot better. CDPR was never trying to maintain a specific identity with their gameplay, they were always trying to best fulfill their vision for each title.

Now, CP 2077 is departing from the mold again, and I have total faith that it's being done because that's what best fulfills the vision of this game. It may not be expected. It may not fulfill the imaginings of players. It may not be to everyone's liking (...and neither was TW1, TW2, or TW3).

You know I've never thought about it this way, and honestly it's commendable what they're trying to do. In terms of studios that make AAA titles, their IP's generally have the same type of mechanics or identity. I love me some Bethesda, but I'll even admit that Skyrim and Fallout are basically re-skins of the same core gameplay.

I've never really seen a studio develop two different IP's that are just that...different. Different mechanics, different gameplay, a different feel... and I imagine that it's hard to do. I'm now even more on board with this game than I was before, and that's saying something. Kudos to CDPR for going against the grain and developing CP2077 as a game that will be different from it's previous IP.

If bethesda that is known for be plenty buggy in their games managed to obtain this result i don't see how cd projekt red that makes games much more polished and less wonky are unable to do so..

This probably explains exactly why they didn't do it: Bethesda, the best known example of trying to take on both at once, is also best known for buggy games. Something that CDPR generally isn't known for. The average Bethesda bug list reads like a small novel, while the average CDPR buglist reads like a checklist on a sticky note. So, naturally, when looking around for examples, they'd have one giant Fallout-shaped reason not to tackle both at once. From then on, it comes down to weighing which aspects of the game are most important.

So happy this will be in FPP!

Makes me feel so much more immersed in the world! TPP is just like I'm watching a guy so stuff. Its not really my character.

Hope its in 60fps, too! Will really make the world look smooth!

Great choices, CDPR!

What they are doing is turning from one player base to another. It's very brave decision but I don't know if it's best one. Also it's very questionable decision to ignore your player base opinion. They always say how they think pleasing your fans is important in terms of piracy and seling games. That showing players what is good in your game and listen to them is more important than forcing DRM. And so far I don't see such attempts. More important I think they are alienating themselfs from certain part of players and I don't know how big this base is and what will happened when game will be done and released. But I'm certain it's not quite right and not expected decision from this company.

But I'm certain it's not quite right and not expected decision from this company.

Well, they are betting millions that you are wrong. Millions. Millions they made by being good at these decisions. So we will see who is right.

They also are not alienating their player base. Plenty of people here really enjoy FPP and really enjoy Witcher. The die-hard no-TPP-no-matter-what is a minority.

Most of us on these forums and the millions who bought Witcher 3 will play FPP Cyberpunk 2077 and are looking forward to seeing what CDPR will do with it.

This thread and similar topics tend to turn into a vocal anti-group, because the pro people just don't care. Why would they?

That doesn't mean it represents the CDPR customer base in any real number at all. It doesn't.

Not everything has to be an us v. them scenario. Plenty of people are perfectly happy with either perspective. You've got your own opinion and that's perfectly fine. I've got mine and CDPR has theirs.

They have weighed all the pros and cons of both sides and made a call as to what they feel is best for 2077 as a game, and what will profit them most as a company. Ultimately, it's their call, and it's for them to face the consequences of that decision for better and for worse.

And that's OK, because it doesn't have to affect you. If you don't like the direction the game is taking with any aspect of it, be it plot, graphics, gameplay, VA or whatever, you are completely free to walk away and find another game that's more to your tastes, as are we all.

If CDPR takes the game in a direction I don't like (say, turn-based combat for example), I will state my opinion about it, sure. But if CDPR is fixed on that matter, then I will simply walk away- vote with my wallet- and play something else instead. It's so much better to spend time playing enjoyable games than to bemoan the ones that aren't. :)

Well, they are betting millions that you are wrong. Millions. Millions they made by being good at these decisions. So we will see who is right.

They also are not alienating their player base. Plenty of people here really enjoy FPP and really enjoy Witcher. The die-hard no-TPP-no-matter-what is a minority.

Most of us on these forums and the millions who bought Witcher 3 will play FPP Cyberpunk 2077 and are looking forward to seeing what CDPR will do with it.

This thread and similar topics tend to turn into a vocal anti-group, because the pro people just don't care. Why would they?

That doesn't mean it represents the CDPR customer base in any real number at all. It doesn't.

As plenty of people are not enjoying FPS nor FPP but enjoy Witcher games. Me and you don't have any numbers to confirm which group is minority so please don't make rash statements. I for one know that CDPR customer base was attracted by RPG TPP games that they created in past years. And creating next game FPP/FPS is a sign of alienating part of this base.
Post automatically merged:

Not everything has to be an us v. them scenario. Plenty of people are perfectly happy with either perspective. You've got your own opinion and that's perfectly fine. I've got mine and CDPR has theirs.

They have weighed all the pros and cons of both sides and made a call as to what they feel is best for 2077 as a game, and what will profit them most as a company. Ultimately, it's their call, and it's for them to face the consequences of that decision for better and for worse.

And that's OK, because it doesn't have to affect you. If you don't like the direction the game is taking with any aspect of it, be it plot, graphics, gameplay, VA or whatever, you are completely free to walk away and find another game that's more to your tastes, as are we all.

If CDPR takes the game in a direction I don't like (say, turn-based combat for example), I will state my opinion about it, sure. But if CDPR is fixed on that matter, then I will simply walk away- vote with my wallet- and play something else instead. It's so much better to spend time playing enjoyable games than to bemoan the ones that aren't. :)

Fully agree with you. Though if you make RPG and next game is FPS it sure will turn certain group of your fans against you. And those people would feel upset or even betrayed.

Last edited:
Fully agree with you. Though if you make RPG and next game is FPS it sure will turn certain group of your fans against you. And those people would feel upset or even betrayed.
And just what makes you think CP2077 is an FPS?
CDPR has gone out of it's way to say "CP2077 is First Person Perspective, it's not a First Person Shooter".

This illustrates the real problem/issue here, to many people assume one automatically means the other.

And just what makes you think CP2077 is an FPS?
CDPR has gone out of it's way to say "CP2077 is First Person Perspective, it's not a First Person Shooter".

This illustrates the real problem/issue here, to many people assume one automatically means the other.

It's just an example how things might work. Situation with CDPR and CP2077 is a bit different but many people are feeling the same as in my example. And what it makes worse is that there wasn't any info that it would be only FPP when game was announced till recent showcase at E3. Majority of people were attracted to this IP because of CDPR and their work with The Witcher universe and had false expectation of similar approach to the game. And when I speak about false expectations I mean FPP and TPP.

Majority of people were attracted to this IP because of CDPR and their work with The Witcher universe and had false expectation of similar approach to the game. And when I speak about false expectations I mean FPP and TPP.

The italicized underlined part is something I really don't get, at least entirely.

I'm only interested in Cyberpunk 2077 because it's being made by CDPR, but I never expected them to copy all the basic gameplay aspects from the Witcher games.
We're talking about two vastly different games/franchises here, set in two totally different worlds. There is going to be a lot of new things anyway (guns and cars immediately come to mind), so why not a different perspective as well?

(Sorry if this has already been said, and I'm repeating someone else's words.)

The italicized underlined part is something I really don't get, at least entirely.

I'm only interested in Cyberpunk 2077 because it's being made by CDPR, but I never expected them to copy all the basic gameplay aspects from the Witcher games.
We're talking about two vastly different games/franchises here, set in two totally different worlds. There is going to be a lot of new things anyway (guns and cars immediately come to mind), so why not a different perspective as well?

(Sorry if this has already been said, and I'm repeating someone else's words.)

Well they've made 3 games with TPP and announce 4th and didn't say anything about perspective. It's naturally people assume that this game will be also TPP, no? Also there was a poll on this forum about FPP or TPP or both and majority of people here voted for TPP. This also added to their expectations. Plus very long period between announcement of the game and first real info about it.

Well they've made 3 games with TPP and announce 4th and didn't say anything about perspective.
The first day they started talking about the mechanics of the game, they said it was mostly first person perspective.

Now back in 2012/2013 they were talking about the game conceptually a bit ... and there was one slide in a power point presentation from back then that said mixed TPP/FPP, but other than that they didn't discuss it at all. Then they went in the dark on just about everything CP 2077 related from 2014 till June of this year.

As soon as they discussed it again, they said it's mostly FPP, though still mixed with some TPP in cut-scenes and optionally while driving (and a planned photomode). We don't have a release date yet, pre-orders aren't available, so there is plenty of time for gamers to make an informed decision about whether this is gonna be their game or not.

Now I will say it's a bold move on their part. It seems they made two decisions (1) that they couldn't do both and ensure the quality experience they wanted to and (2) that FPP had more benefits than costs when compared to TPP. They've explained why they made the choices they did:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-it-went-with-first-person-for-cyberpunk-2077

First up, the developers wanted the player to feel like they were in the body of the character they control.

In Cyberpunk 2077 you play V, a mercenary who is making their way through Night City on the hunt for the big time. However, you can create your own version of V - male or female - and customise everything from how they look to their backstory. Your version of V can become a Netrunner, Techie or a Solo - or a mix of all of them.

"With Witcher 3, you're playing Geralt and you're watching Geralt. You're controlling Geralt. He's a character, right? He's somebody who already exists," Mills said.

"In this game we wanted to put you in the shoes and in the body of the character you're controlling, so you feel like this is your character. First-person was one way to do that."

Secondly, the developers felt that a first-person perspective offered a greater sense of immersion. At one point in the gameplay demo, I saw V emerge from a mega building into the City Center, and the jaw-dropping scale and detail of the world hit me as the CD Projekt member of staff moved the camera to soak everything in. It's this possibility for kind of effect that meant a move to first-person make sense for the developers.

"Additionally, you have a greater immersion," Mills said. "And we can do some environmental stuff from first-person that you wouldn't be able to do in third-person. If nothing else, I think it's going to be really cool when you're walking around the city and you look up, which is something that in third-person doesn't really feel right. To really experience that verticality you need a first-person perspective."

https://gamingbolt.com/cyberpunk-20...ng-to-original-cyberpunk-tabletop-rpg-creator
In an interview with YouTube channel LastKnownMeal (which you can watch here), Pondsmith talked about how the open world of Cyberpunk 2077 will be a very dense one, and that that is something that is best viewed through a first person camera rather than a third person one. He went on to give a rather specific example for why that might be the case, saying that, for instance, while in first person view in a dense environment, if a player hears a voice in the game, they may or may not be able to see who’s speaking to their character, so interacting with the speaker is a choice that the players make themselves. Something like this gets lost in third person view.

Pondsmith also went on to talk about how the first person camera is a better fit for the combat in Cyberpunk 2077. He said that while a third person perspective allows players to strategize more, having a fuller sense of their surroundings, a first person view, with its more restricted field of vision, makes players play more tactically, which is something CD Projekt RED wanted to achieve.

Pondsmith also mentioned that irrespective of the camera perspective, the game will allow players to have plenty of freedom of options during navigation and traversal.

So they've made the decision. I personally prefer TPP, but I understand why the decisions were made from a design perspective.

Last edited:
So they've made the decision. I personally prefer TPP, but I understand why the decisions were made from a design perspective.

And why? Can you share your point of view? Because I think the only real deal with FPP is FPS mechanics. And as was said in interview you shared 50 min demo gameplay was mostly FPS. Though author admitted that there may be more possibilities for fighting enemis but he saw that in trailer. So it could be in final product and could be not. The same thing happened to the Witcher as many content we saw in trailer didn't make in final game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom