Petition for the "Enhanced edition" aka Legacy for the ages

+

Petition for the "Enhanced edition" aka Legacy for the ages

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be a good idea to also flesh out existing areas of the game. There is a lot of unused space in Velen. The whole area around Bald Mountain is just a few high level monsters and treasure hunts, and the Temple Quarter in Novigrad only has half a quest happen there. There are probably more areas, but both of these have obviously had time put into their physical design, yet there's very little for the player to actually do there.

ive created an account just so i can show my support of some DLC to fix this...

ive only just gotten back into witcher 3 recently as ive been super busy with work and other stuff.anyway i got sucked in hard over the last couple of weeks and finished it last weekend.i was pretty happy with the ending (ciri becomes witcher,geralt with yen) but then when i spawn back in i discover im all alone in the kaer morhen....kinda feels like geralts been abandoned...fair enough ciri might be out travelling the world doing witcher contracts but where is gezza's love interest?? at least put her back in with some dialogue. really ruins the immersion for me unfortunately. and that sucks cause this is an awesome game.. ive read heaps of forums about this and a lot of people say that the post ending free roam is set just before the last mission. but i dont think this is true because according to my quest log,the last missions are completed and archived.even the small mission where ciri gets her witcher sword.

on another note, maybe thats why we are going to toussaint in blood and wine?.....looks like a perfect place for a special wedding hmm? (HINT* HINT*) and weddings are a great place to catch up with all your closest friends (WINK* WINK*)

Just one of the many examples of why TW3 is just amazing.

But in all seriousness, an Enhanced Edition would be the best thing to ever happen. It would give them time to acknowledge the flaws of the game and correct them, the small things they probably didn't have any time to tend to before release. There are some obvious plot points that should be fixed (especially that third act), and I'm sure offering a Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Game of The Year Enhanced Edition would be great for sales. I've seen plenty of people on the forum begging for more content, asking for a third expansion, or for a fourth game, and as much as I would totally love that, I don't really see it happening. But now that Witcher won GOTY, they could throw it all in in one combo with a GOTY edition sometime next year.

Nowadays, the easiest way to get something like this done is via a kickstarter project.

You're serious about an Enhanced Edition, you think TW3 shall have an Enhanced Edition. Get in touch with CDPR, ask them how much it would cost them, in their opinion, to release an Enhanced Edition, define objectives for support threshold (what do you want done for 100 000€, 200 000€, 300 000€ [...]), review this with them, and launch it.

CDPR is a serious company, but they are investing their time in Cyberpunk 2077 now, along with TW3 extension. Like any company, they have resources (investment) that they use to the best of their ability. Bring fresh amount of money, and they will be able to reinforce staff and get things done.

Now, are we ready to get there ? I certainly am, but this is gonna take more than my money and a poll to get it done ;)

Nowadays, the easiest way to get something like this done is via a kickstarter project.

You're serious about an Enhanced Edition, you think TW3 shall have an Enhanced Edition. Get in touch with CDPR, ask them how much it would cost them, in their opinion, to release an Enhanced Edition, define objectives for support threshold (what do you want done for 100 000€, 200 000€, 300 000€ [...]), review this with them, and launch it.

CDPR is a serious company, but they are investing their time in Cyberpunk 2077 now, along with TW3 extension. Like any company, they have resources (investment) that they use to the best of their ability. Bring fresh amount of money, and they will be able to reinforce staff and get things done.

Now, are we ready to get there ? I certainly am, but this is gonna take more than my money and a poll to get it done ;)

I've been supportive of an hypothetic Enhanced Edition all along.

However, the prospect of a Kickstarter campaign seems doomed from the get-go for a number of reasons:

1. In all probability, it would be free for existing owners.

Given it's happened with TW2, existing owners would likely get it for free and as such, except maybe for a few hardline fans, would be very reluctant to shell out any real money. A change in policy to make them pay for an EE would only enrage them and guarantee a severe backlash. This means the target audience would have to be newcomers, who usually don't sign up for a Kickstarter of a game they barely know of.

2. Kickstarter dynamics require tiered rewards

Such a system needs to be setup prior to launch, By then, a pool of increasingly appealing rewards is available for segmentation. But there's nothing like that to pass around a year and a half later on. Potential goodies have already been exhausted on the Collector's and special editions, including statue, maps and Gwent decks. Coming up with and producing a batch of fresh appetizing rewards from the ground up would surely postpone the campaign well into 2017, that is, into Cyberpunk 2077 PR campaign.

3. It would send the wrong message to investors.

CD Projekt is a public company listed on the Warsaw Stock exchange. Justifiably or not, Kickstarter has been perceived as a last resort for small developers which, for whatever reason, cannot secure capital through traditional means. So the potential for it to be misread as a sign of insecurity from a AAA developer such as CD Projekt RED is there. In case of failure, the message would be even graver.

Last edited:
I've been supportive of an hypothetic Enhanced Edition all along.

However, the prospect of a Kickstarter campaign seems doomed from the get-go for a number of reasons:

1. In all probability, it would be free for existing owners.

Given it's happened with TW2, existing owners would likely get it for free and as such, except maybe for a few hardline fans, would be very reluctant to shell out any real money. A change in policy to make them pay for an EE would only enrage them and guarantee a severe backlash. This means the target audience would have to be newcomers, who don't usually sign up for a Kickstarter of a game they barely know of.

2. Kickstarter dynamics require tiered rewards

Such a system needs to be setup prior to launch, By then, a pool of increasingly appealing rewards can be segmented and distrusted to backers. But there's nothing like that to pass around a year and a half later on. Potential goodies have already been exhausted on the Collector's and special editions, including statue, maps and Gwent decks. Coming up with and producing a batch of fresh appetizing rewards from the ground up would surely postpone the campaign well into 2017, that is, into Cyberpunk 2077 PR campaign territory.

3. It would send the wrong message to investors.

CD Projekt is a public company listed on the Warsaw Stock exchange. Justifiably or not, Kickstarter has been perceived as a last resort for small developers which, for whatever reason, cannot secure capital through traditional means. So the potential for it to be misread as a sign of insecurity from a AAA developer such as CD Projekt RED is there. In case of failure, the message would be even graver.

It's a bit more complex than that. It happens for both TW1 and TW2, for different reasons. TW1 was an excellent game crippled with bugs, due to CDPR being by then a serious company with limited resources. Releasing TW1 EE washed out most bugs, making it a great game without caveat.

TW2 EE only came because the success of TW2 on PC made CDPR willing to invest the console market, which is known for being, to say the least, different. Because they got the investment to do that, they got the investment to polish the original game, add a bit of content, and get away with it. Free goodies for PC players. Divinity Original Sin did exactly the same.

TW3 doesn't need an EE for anyone but die hard fans. It's a GOTY game already, praised by all media, and is considered by many people one of the greatest CRPG of all times. It proudly sits along with Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment and Fallout series pre Bethesda. You cannot enhance much out of such a success.

Thus, an Enhanced Edition, from a pure development perspective, would be a waste of money. All in all, people wanting an EE are just people who doesn't like some choices made by CDPR, or who wants "the E3 demo !!!" or you want some advanced mods.

So yeah, I don't see that happening easily. Fresh investment from fans may make it happen. I personally believe a more advance mod tool, along with a better, less selfish modding community (which is currently quite self centered, and obsessed by their own glory, and would rather keep their secrets to get this extra endorsement rather than seeing a more talented guy do better than them and improve the whole game in the process - rare are the KNG, CVAX or Chickenodum free sharing their work) would do that more efficiently.

I wish CDPR would prove me wrong, and do like they have done since the start : surprise us with ever more polished game, and never stopping short of perfection, but The Witcher world is currently on pause for them, and they are already focusing on their next project, and that's fair enough.

Thus, an Enhanced Edition, from a pure development perspective, would be a waste of money. All in all, people wanting an EE are just people who doesn't like some choices made by CDPR, or who wants "the E3 demo !!!" or you want some advanced mods.

While I agree that many of the critiques on this forum are subjective, e.g. "Triss isn't hot enough" or "Yennefer is too cold," there are some areas in which Wild Hunt could objectively stand to improve, most notably in the depiction of its antagonist. Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz even commented on the issue in a recent interview:

“The antagonist – well, there’s no true antagonist in ‘Hearts of Stone’, but the character most like an antagonist – got a lot more screen time than the antagonist of The Witcher 3 ... We were aware at a late stage that we didn’t do it properly; that the main game’s antagonist needed more of that screen time. Sadly, it was too late into development to really fix that.”

CDPR's CEO Adam Kicinski also said that "This and the next year will be devoted to The Witcher. Apart from the second expansion we have some additional ideas. They should help us animate sales in 2016," Kiciński said. "The game is selling so well, that we are convinced there are still many people who will buy it if we promote it further."

"Additional ideas" could mean anything, including an enhanced or GOTY edition.

While I agree that many of the critiques on this forum are subjective, e.g. "Triss isn't hot enough" or "Yennefer is too cold," there are some areas in which Wild Hunt could objectively stand to improve, most notably in the depiction of its antagonist. Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz even commented on the issue in a recent interview:

It's also unlikely, if they couldn't fix it "so late in development", they would be able to fix it with an EE.

An EE must be a quick win. There will be a GOTY that's obvious, but they generally are the main game shipped with all the DLC.

Again, I have nothing against an EE, and I would love to see one, because TW3, despite being the best CPRG I ever played (because it has, as far as I'm concerned, all the qualities for a great game, even better imo than BG2 or Planescape Tomrnet), can still live to improve. But I don't see it as a valid marketing manoeuvre by CDPR. Please prove me wrong :)

Bring on an EE with an updated Arena Mode! One that includes playable Geralt and Ciri..... I love the Sword/Sign Combat in this game so much but sometimes I just want to practice fight without having to run around the open world looking for the right level of enemies to fight, please bring an Arena Mode. You already made 3 separate areas where it could conceivably be...... And bring out the Bear School armor from the concept art. It looks amazing.

It's a bit more complex than that. It happens for both TW1 and TW2, for different reasons. TW1 was an excellent game crippled with bugs, due to CDPR being by then a serious company with limited resources. Releasing TW1 EE washed out most bugs, making it a great game without caveat.

TW2 EE only came because the success of TW2 on PC made CDPR willing to invest the console market, which is known for being, to say the least, different. Because they got the investment to do that, they got the investment to polish the original game, add a bit of content, and get away with it. Free goodies for PC players. Divinity Original Sin did exactly the same.

TW3 doesn't need an EE for anyone but die hard fans. It's a GOTY game already, praised by all media, and is considered by many people one of the greatest CRPG of all times. It proudly sits along with Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment and Fallout series pre Bethesda. You cannot enhance much out of such a success.

So yeah, I don't see that happening easily. Fresh investment from fans may make it happen. I personally believe a more advance mod tool, along with a better, less selfish modding community (which is currently quite self centered, and obsessed by their own glory, and would rather keep their secrets to get this extra endorsement rather than seeing a more talented guy do better than them and improve the whole game in the process - rare are the KNG, CVAX or Chickenodum free sharing their work) would do that more efficiently.

I wish CDPR would prove me wrong, and do like they have done since the start : surprise us with ever more polished game, and never stopping short of perfection, but The Witcher world is currently on pause for them, and they are already focusing on their next project, and that's fair enough.

A Kickstarter campaign makes little sense for the aforementioned reasons.

The only way an Enhanced Edition would be able to generate the kind of positive cash flow needed to justify its existence would be to attract paying newcomers. These gamers have remained indifferent to TW3 past PR. The most effective and straightforward route to their hearts and wallets involves graphics, which would have to be eye-catching by late 2016 standards, that is, compared to those of Mankind Divided, Kingdom Come Deliverance and to the host of bleeding edge visuals bound to make a fleeting but memorable appearance at E3 2016. Given that STLM 2.1, a single man operation, already managed to deliver graphics superior to those in the vanilla game, we have good reasons to expect a small team in the know would be able to work wonders on that front, especially if they went ahead with a DX12 port.

Ergo, an Enhanced Edition that includes, but is not limited to, a graphics overhaul is the way to go.

Given that STLM 2.1, a single man operation, already managed to deliver graphics superior to those in the vanilla game

Don't confuse Graphics and Lighting. STLM2.1 has delivered an excellent lighting overhaul. Describing it as superior is however biased, as STLM sacrifices a lot of things for different things. Overall, making it superior or inferior is a matter of taste. If we take the view distance for instance, it's great (and should probably have been vanilla), if you accept seeing from time to time extremely poorly textured mountains, water, or else. You also lose a lot of contrast and I won't even talk of the person behind the mod, which is definitely an alter ego of the guys I listed above and will never help the modding community do better ;)

In any case, I fully agree with you. I'd love to see graphics improved even though we shall not forget why they have been dumped down in the first place. A PC exclusive EE wouldn't make sense, so I don't imagine you could make it so much better for our limited little sisters. Modding has also proven TW3 can still be tweaked to a point no SLI or 3 way SLI modern GFX card will be able to play in 4K.

All in all, you're preaching a convert. I'd love to see EE, and I'm confident if any gaming company can do that to a game like this, it's CDPR, but between them spending their dollars on an EE or their dollars on a new DLC on top of a better modkit, I definitely know where my money's going.

My hope for the EE is that the expansions will be on disc and not with downloadable codes and that they'll add some new monsters in the original areas of the game

Don't confuse Graphics and Lighting.

Lighting is an inextricable part of that broad category called Graphics.

STLM2.1 has delivered an excellent lighting overhaul. Describing it as superior is however biased, as STLM sacrifices a lot of things for different things. Overall, making it superior or inferior is a matter of taste. If we take the view distance for instance, it's great (and should probably have been vanilla), if you accept seeing from time to time extremely poorly textured mountains, water, or else. You also lose a lot of contrast and I won't even talk of the person behind the mod, which is definitely an alter ego of the guys I listed above and will never help the modding community do better ;)

While it does appear concessions and sacrifices were made, on a number of objective criteria, such as Draw Distance and Ambient Occlusion, STLM 2.1 is indeed factually superior. The topic at hand is not the mod, though, and I referenced it merely to illustrate an important point: if that's the kind of progress a lone self-described non expert managed to achieve with the limited toolset he was provided, just imagine what an inside job would get us.

I'd love to see graphics improved even though we shall not forget why they have been dumped down in the first place.

I took part in that debate, which is now settled, with one side having been vindicated from here to Eternity. But let's not reopen wounds that have not quite healed to this day.

A PC exclusive EE wouldn't make sense, so I don't imagine you could make it so much better for our limited little sisters.

Absolutely.
Yet a cross-platform EE is not the same thing as three identical twins. What the staggering success of Star Citizen illuminates is that there's indeed sizeable demand for high end PC graphics, which CD Projekt would be well advised to tap into in a more decisive manner than what their perhaps reluctant commitment to platform parity would seem to suggest. Duly granted, the strategic decision to have the base game look nearly identical across all three platforms was indispensable and inescapable at the time. But six months later and copious millions of zlotys in, relieved of the burden of a twice-delayed deadline, perhaps finally there's the opportunity to tackle matters differently.

I seem to detect a hint of disappointment, or should I say, a glimmer of hope in Adam Kiciński's words regarding TW3 sales. In any case, I can tell you I certainly expected higher figures. To rekindle sales, TW3 needs to have jaws dropping and fresh hands reaching for credit cards. With that in mind, CD Projekt RED might bring in a DX12 update, or they might implement Global Illumination, for example, something the smallish Warhorse Studios seems to be on the brink of achieving on their own open world RPG.

I can't think of anything besides a graphics overhaul that come late 2016 would generate the sort of buzz newcomers are usually attune to.

Last edited:
You've now mentioned this in many, many of your other posts. I think you've made your wish for new monsters sufficiently clear. Thank you.
Ahahaha yes you are completely right! I did this everywhere because I wanted to be sure that somewhere CDPR will read it. Ok, no more bothering on this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly playing HoS expansion made me realize how well written was O'Dim in comparison to the main game enemies. If an Enhanced Edition will be out I'd love if they enhance for example the mission when we go find Ge'els in Tir Na Lia and learns more about Eredin and his commanders as well as how life is there and explore some more of their city learning more about the Aen Elle.

I'd pay for this Enhancement.

While it does appear concessions and sacrifices were made, on a number of objective criteria, such as Draw Distance and Ambient Occlusion, STLM 2.1 is indeed factually superior. The topic at hand is not the mod, though, and I referenced it merely to illustrate an important point: if that's the kind of progress a lone self-described non expert managed to achieve with the limited toolset he was provided, just imagine what an inside job would get us.

We're arguing taste here. For MANY people, STLM 2.1 is not superior in any way to Vanilla. There are as many things I prefer in STLM than things I prefer in Vanilla. DOF, Ambient Occlusion, Dark Areas, Shadows, Colour Balance are all things far inferior in STLM 2.1, for my taste. Fortunately, any of the work accomplished by Essenthy is modular, and can be easily picked and rebuilt from scratch.

Water Reflections and Draw Distances for instance, are far better in STLM. Global Lights, Sun & Moon Balance, Sky, is arguable. All in all, it's a matter of taste, as a being a matter of taste, there are no rights and no wrongs, there is only preference.

---------- Updated at 11:48 AM ----------

What the staggering success of Star Citizen

Non released piece of game : Alpha Build - wait & see what you get when it's no longer an Alpha.

Duly granted, the strategic decision to have the base game look nearly identical across all three platforms was indispensable and inescapable at the time. But six months later and copious millions of zlotys in, relieved of the burden of a twice-delayed deadline, perhaps finally there's the opportunity to tackle matters differently.

But don't you forget that even on PC, the game is very well optimized, but the current engine is not running that well on PC ? I mean, You do need a 980ti to run it Ultra in 1080p, at a decent framerate > 60 fps. Now, go 4K, and you need a SLI or 3 way SLI of those.

So, you're telling me, despite this, PC should have seen an even greedier build, just because we can bring down graphics ? After all, no one could run TW2 in ubersampling mods for a couple of years, and even with modern GFX cards (980ti), TW2 will not necessarily run at 60fps everywhere with Ubersampling.

I'm really not sure, as much as I like sweet GFX, I'm not sure it's smart as a company to spend loads of money improving the Gfx of a game which already value itself as the new Crysis when it was released, just for a few enthusiasts who wouldn't be able to run the game with those new GFX before a few years.

Blablabla. Offtopic shit. Now move along, move along, please.

Nothing offtopic there, as this discussion originated from "how easy it is to make graphics "superior", and why they should do an EE (or not)". Why don't you apply to be a moderator, while you're at it ?

---------- Updated at 02:38 PM ----------

Honestly playing HoS expansion made me realize how well written was O'Dim in comparison to the main game enemies. If an Enhanced Edition will be out I'd love if they enhance for example the mission when we go find Ge'els in Tir Na Lia and learns more about Eredin and his commanders as well as how life is there and explore some more of their city learning more about the Aen Elle.

I'd pay for this Enhancement.

Read the books ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom