Phantom Liberty story speculation

+

Here's my thoughts so far:

+ I'm disappointed this is just more of Night City. I was one of the people who was really hoping to get to do some stuff in space.

+ It absolutely is during the main story since we have Johnny, so no new endings or ending material.

+ I'm glad we're getting some more Presidential stuff.

+ I hope Morgan Blackhand is going to be in this section but I doubt it.

+ I don't think this will be a particularly large expansion and I expect something more Heart of Stone than Blood and Wine, which was really The Witcher 3.5.

+ Saving the President is a nice homage to ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

+ Johnny actually may get some decent character development due to being an ex-Marine. V's thoughts on whether Night City is better under the control of Arasaka or America (Militech?) is an interesting question. It may be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

+ I am curious at the release time but I'm okay with upgrading by 2023.

+ I do hope we'll get a lot of Militech expansionism.

+ Sadly, I feel like the lack of any expansion on V means that the inevitable Cyberpunk 2080 game will not have them as the protagonist. Which is all I want.

I just wonder what kind of reward that V is getting. Since this is taking place during Act 2, V is dying and needs to find a solution fast. What would make/convince her to do this job? Also, I wonder if will see Blue Eyes?

As for ending material. The NUSA/Militech story arch actually gives a lot of possibilities for several new endings and to modify the existing ones. It also can give a lot of V development leading to a possible sequel.
I'm hyped up, because I love Cyberpunk and I love Escape from New York, and I love Tom Clancy's stuff, and it also radiates Clancy's techno triller vibes.

As for ending material. The NUSA/Militech story arch actually gives a lot of possibilities for several new endings and to modify the existing ones. It also can give a lot of V development leading to a possible sequel.
I'm hyped up, because I love Cyberpunk and I love Escape from New York, and I love Tom Clancy's stuff, and it also radiates Clancy's techno triller vibes.

I'd love a new ending but given this is apparently something spoiled by dataminers (I haven't seen any spoiled), it would have come out if it added new endings.

So, I'm going to be very careful with my choice of words.... and want to add I have done my best to avoid spoilers....

But since some of the "Rumors" about this expansion have been proven true by this trailer.... My guess is it like another rumor states, this actually will open up new ending details or changes within the already established endings. Probably nothing massively different but variations similar to what's already there... Like Takemura being in the devil ending or not. Not an entirely new ending, but a variation on one depending on choice.

Having said that, it would be cool if someone you meet opens an entirely new ending path, I don't think it's likely, but I would be cool.

Honestly, I assumed that would be the second expansion. The fact it isn't is a major let down.
Well hopefully in 2032 we'll get a Cyberpunk 2 and get to see what really happens.

I'm also hoping this game gets the Skyrim treatment and gets remastered in UE5. I'd cheerfully pay $70 again. I already bought the game twice once full price for Xbox and then again on Steam for $25. It's the best open world RPG ever IMHO. Scratches that Fallout 5 itch I've been craving for so much.

It's one of those things where I wouldn't say the door is closed on a 2nd expansion.

Language like "There are currently no other planned expansions" is I thin intentionally vague, If the expansion does well enough and they think it's worth time and resources, AND they have a good enough idea for it "Could" happen. But if it doesn't well than no one can ever say they promised it.

I'm not saying I personally think they'll make a 2nd expansion, I just would not 100% rule it out until we see what the future of the franchise actually is.

It's one of those things where I wouldn't say the door is closed on a 2nd expansion.

Language like "There are currently no other planned expansions" is I thin intentionally vague, If the expansion does well enough and they think it's worth time and resources, AND they have a good enough idea for it "Could" happen. But if it doesn't well than no one can ever say they promised it.

I'm not saying I personally think they'll make a 2nd expansion, I just would not 100% rule it out until we see what the future of the franchise actually is.

The Cyberpunk 2077 saga has been something of a heart monitor for CDPR with massive damage to their brand, bad publicity, and having to basically spend a year to two years they would have spent making a second expansion instead focusing on getting the game up to a playable level. I wouldn't be surprised if the layoffs, infighting, and scandal means that they're focused instead on going back to the Witcher 4.

So, I'm going to be very careful with my choice of words.... and want to add I have done my best to avoid spoilers....

But since some of the "Rumors" about this expansion have been proven true by this trailer.... My guess is it like another rumor states, this actually will open up new ending details or changes within the already established endings. Probably nothing massively different but variations similar to what's already there... Like Takemura being in the devil ending or not. Not an entirely new ending, but a variation on one depending on choice.

Having said that, it would be cool if someone you meet opens an entirely new ending path, I don't think it's likely, but I would be cool.

Well if you're willing to share what that is, rumor wise, I'd love to hear it.

I'd love a new ending but given this is apparently something spoiled by dataminers (I haven't seen any spoiled), it would have come out if it added new endings.
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything regarding datamining Phantom Liberty, can you clarify what you're talking about?

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything regarding datamining Phantom Liberty, can you clarify what you're talking about?

Sadly all I know was way back when, Reddit did a bunch of datamined spoilers and they described a DLC that would involve going into Pacifica and rescuing the President.

There were other details but I didn't read them because...well, I didn't want to be spoiled.

Here's my thoughts so far:

+ I'm disappointed this is just more of Night City. I was one of the people who was really hoping to get to do some stuff in space.

+ It absolutely is during the main story since we have Johnny, so no new endings or ending material.

+ I'm glad we're getting some more Presidential stuff.

+ I hope Morgan Blackhand is going to be in this section but I doubt it.

+ I don't think this will be a particularly large expansion and I expect something more Heart of Stone than Blood and Wine, which was really The Witcher 3.5.

+ Saving the President is a nice homage to ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

+ Johnny actually may get some decent character development due to being an ex-Marine. V's thoughts on whether Night City is better under the control of Arasaka or America (Militech?) is an interesting question. It may be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

+ I am curious at the release time but I'm okay with upgrading by 2023.

+ I do hope we'll get a lot of Militech expansionism.

+ Sadly, I feel like the lack of any expansion on V means that the inevitable Cyberpunk 2080 game will not have them as the protagonist. Which is all I want.
It's possible that you're right on all those points. However:
  • I'm not sure what they would do in space for a big expansion. They have so much invested in building the city, that it seems reasonable that they would set the expansion there. Cars, gangs, gigs, people we already know, etc.
  • I don't think that the expansion being during the events of the current game is a foregone conclusion. On the contrary, I suspect that it's part of a resolution for what happens to V after the events of the main story. NUSA needs a significant hook to reel in V. The chip would be that obvious hook.
  • Not sure about most of the rest of it one way or the other, except the last point. I agree that it's unlikely that V will appear in the next game. And I'm alright with that. V's story ends with CP2077.

Well if you're willing to share what that is, rumor wise, I'd love to hear it.

Without any spoilers and without breaking any forum guidelines really all I can say is.... some of the stuff like location, characters, general story, things like that were, "rumored" before the trailer was shown and those things were correct, so assuming the "Source" was correct, the other rumor is that by completing these quests, you don't get a full "New" ending, but it does change an existing ending slightly.

If you want more details, I'd recommend looking on YouTube and or reddit, there was a lot of talk about this a little while back, but be warned going down that rabbit hole leads to potential spoilers.

Without any spoilers and without breaking any forum guidelines really all I can say is.... some of the stuff like location, characters, general story, things like that were, "rumored" before the trailer was shown and those things were correct, so assuming the "Source" was correct, the other rumor is that by completing these quests, you don't get a full "New" ending, but it does change an existing ending slightly.

If you want more details, I'd recommend looking on YouTube and or reddit, there was a lot of talk about this a little while back, but be warned going down that rabbit hole leads to potential spoilers.

Well thanks for pointing me in the right direction. A pity we don't have PMs. :)

Here's my predictions for PHANTOM LIBERTY:

+ You are sworn in as a citizen of the United States, you aren't normally, because you're a Night City resident.

+ Johnny Silverhand, unsurprisingly, shittalks the reviving of the United States the entire time.

+ The President is someone who wants to rebuild the United States and you have the option of either agreeing that it is a good idea or thinking that the country is better off as a divided bunch of city states that it currently is.

+ The primary mission is to go into Pacifica and rescue the President from the gangs that want to hold them hostage.

+ The Voodoo Boyz will be one of the factions present in the setting. They will hate you if you killed a bunch of them.

+ I predict the Animals will be the other gang found in the game and we will be fighting them as well.

+ We'll discover, unsurprisingly, that Air Force One was shot down by Arasaka and/or Militech in order to try to seize power in the USA.

+ Militech will finally get some serious content in this game expansion.

+ Meredith Stout and/or the other guy may appear but it will be in a minor role not a major one because they can be killed in the main game.

+ People worried about the ludonarrative dissonance of V pursuing YET ANOTHER giant mission while dying will be disappointed as they will get hired to do this job just like anyone else. MAYBE they will mention the USA can help with their situation.

Last edited:
That's really disappointing news.
Without dealing with the pile of trash that is the endings i can't really see myself having much desire to get this.
Dumping more stuff inside the 'your dying' story is just lazy and creatively bankrupt.

That's really disappointing news.
Without dealing with the pile of trash that is the endings i can't really see myself having much desire to get this.
Dumping more stuff inside the 'your dying' story is just lazy and creatively bankrupt.

CD Projekt Red seems to think the point of the game is dealing with the character dying. They've never shown any issue with the endings and seem to think it was their artistic intent.

In other thread, I wrote:

I feel like the fans and CDPR are never going to be on the same page:

CDPR: It's a story about V dying and what they do with the time they have left.

Player: So, when is the DLC after they get cured.

CDPR: There's no cure.

Player: Just, you know, when Johnny's not there because we're cured.

CDPR: It's about V dying.

Player: I know but after that when V is better.

Some predictions:

A bevy of Escape From NY references.

Another deal with the devil type situation where the NUSA claims they can prolong V's life, at least as long as V is useful to the NUSA.

Somehow Johnny's consciousness ends up in a potato battery.

Hello, dear CDPR. I guess you'll just delete or ignore my message but this is still an important question...
I was born in Uzbekistan and have been living the most part of my live in this country, in Tashkent city. Maybe you don't know but local people speak 2 languauges here: uzbek and russian. I've been playing all games in russian my whole life, actualy there are no games in uzbek lang. My friends play games in russian as well. Maybe you guys don't know but there are many countries like Uzbekistan, Kazakstan and even Ukraine, where all people played games in russian. Maybe this is surprise for you? So, would you be so kind to explain to me what is my fault or uzbek people or kazakh people to deprive us of russian voice acting in new DLC of your game? You can stop selling game in Russia - that is your choice, but why do you deprive other countries and other people of their voiceover? Thank you for your attention.

Top Bottom