Photo mode... Please?

+

Guest 2364765

Photo mode... Please?

Before CDPR parts ways with Witcher 3, can you please consider giving us a photo mode? At least on PC.
I mean
Just
Take a look

You have an incredible engine with a dedicated community of people who have the artistic touch, but currently taking "proper" screenshots is very, very hard.
For those who have issues seeing screenshoting as an art, i strongly recommend visiting Dead End Thrills or screenshot thread on reshade forums

I think CDPR is really missing an opportunity here, even from business point of view this is basically free marketing. On behalf of enthusiasts of the art i would like to request CDPR to at least consider adding this as a parting gift. OR at the very least expose neccessary functions to the wscript so that the community could make own tools.
Putting together many pieces gathered from many sources (and mostly reverse engineering) i can say with certainty that most needed tools already exist within the game/engine, core issue would be to just allow us to use them.

Just to list few necessary things:
-Stopping time - Exist and is available via console/wscript
-Free camera - Exist but requires external injection to be operational.
-Free camera controls - Exist but are hardcoded to gamepad.
-Post process controls - Most likely exist but are not exposed to wscript. (no DOF/bloom, etc controls)
-Weather/lighting system controls - Exist in basic form, not sure whether engine supports tweaking individual aspects rather than loading entire env sets.
-Taking high resolution screenshots - Exists but is not exposed to end-user.
-Screenshot proportion control - Contains all fancy templates like Fibonacci spiral, rule of thirds, golden ratio. All of that exists but is not available.
-Native screenshot functionality - Exist, but is not exposed to end users in any way.
-Animation/mimics control - Mostly exposed to wscript, but in a very raw way. Blending of mimics/anims and lookats would be welcome.
-Spawning, appearance and AI control - Exists, can be controlled via wscript.
-LOD control - Doesn't seem to be working anymore but is vital for taking good shots, especially since gameplay faces/eyes are tier below ones used in cutscenes/dialogues.

To name the most important points. Including all of this in a single menu, or at the very least exposing everything to wscript would greatly improve life of screenshot artists and quality of shots.

@Marcin Momot , would you be so kind to at least pitch the idea around the office?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, please. I love taking screenshot while playing, especially a beautiful game like TW 3. Sure there's a Photo mode mod but that isn't quite enough. It's really hard to zoom in and out using keyboard.

Also, I notice AA doesn't work really well in screenshot. When I'm playing, the game looks just fine but in screenshot, the sword edge and hair look not as good. Object detail isn't great either.

Definitely agree. It would be a great advertisement option towards the console users as well; as we already have some of the functionality through a mod, but they don't at all. And of course, it would also only increase your good reputation further :)

+1 I would like to see a photo mode implemented in the game, hopefully in BaW since it will such a visual treat!

As someone that relishes doing screenshots in games, a full-fledged photomode would be something i'd absolutely adore. I'd love it even more if a photomode done by CDPR would show other developers how it could be done, by opening up a lot more than just the camera and some tools like depth of field, DOF, AO, time of day, lighting variables, and the likes. Some control over character animation would be amazing, as well as the ability to control entities and independently freeze them, to set up a nice scene. Some sort of tiledshot feature where lighting values properly scaled with increased resolution would be a godsend. The list in the OP is enough to make me shiver in anticipation.

Guest 2364765

Bump from the future.

I've been playing around with Overwatch recently and Blizzard was kind enough to provide players with one key configurable hud-less high resolution screenshot key option.

Here's a 168 megapixels (17280x9720 pixels) image of widowmaker:

Like really, if it's already in the engine - why not allow us to play around with it. It's way too much fun.

Guest 2364765

Looks nice, i don't quite get why CDPR would want to offload this to single vendor proprietary driver given they already this built into the engine on their own. As NVIDIA owner i'm okay, but this is locking another half of players from those tools.

Also:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel/supported-gpus

Unless it's backwards compatible, this is another really crappy tactic. Can't see how driver level set of hacks and shader injections would require me to upgrade from a 970.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo Mode?

This might sound pretty much a copy-paste from Horizon Zero Dawn, but TW3 has so many epic scenes and landscapes that could have been better with HZD's photo mode.
Even by just adding a logo of TW3:WH on a simple cutscene before taking a screen shot is whole lot better. Adding vignettes and time of the day settings, as well as the camera crane, zoom, and pan options, every places in every part of the world of W3, would be so much better to take a screenshot at.

Top Bottom