Physical copy Vs Steam?

+
Physical copies include a map and Cyberpunk Compendium book, but now they added exclusive content for Steam users... Why do companies insist on torturing us with such trivial choices? lol sigh, just let me have the physical copy with the silly book and map, and let me download on steam since thats where 90% of all my PC games are stored, and stop offering different bonuses to different retailers cause it doesnt improve anything for anybody!

Does anybody know if the Compendium included with physical preorders is the same book thats sold separately called "World of Cyberpunk 2077" or are they different books? if I preorder the game from Steam, and buy the World of Cyberpunk 2077 book separately, then hopefully I wont be missing out on anything, right?? :think: I mean the Compendium included with preorders will probably be small anyway, I just think it would help introduce me to this story/world since I am not experienced with this series... but I really do not want to accidentally purchase a 2nd copy of the same book lol

Edit:
I decided to go with Bestbuy for the physical bonus items, sorry if that means less money for CDPR but they should have offered the option to buy a discounted version from Gog along with a separate purchase for the physical bonus items (specifically the Compendium + map) If i could buy the game on Gog for $50 then I would happily spend another $10 on the book and map but they didnt offer that option

Last edited:
>Does anybody know if the Compendium included with physical preorders is the same book thats sold separately called "World of Cyberpunk 2077"

It isnt

Unless you pick up your physical copy of the game one launch day (or have same day shipping I guess), you will also not be able to play on launch.

Buying on digital lets you play ASAP and potentially even preload the game ahead of time. It also saves you to clutter of disks/cases and if you get the (really excellent) World of Cyberpunk book now you will have something to read obsessively until the 10th. :)

Sild

Ex-moderator
Does anybody know if the Compendium included with physical preorders is the same book thats sold separately called "World of Cyberpunk 2077" or are they different books?

Different books. The one included with the Witcher 3 had about 20 pages or so, for example.
if I preorder the game from Steam, and buy the World of Cyberpunk 2077 book separately, then hopefully I wont be missing out on anything, right?

Also different books. Steam purchases include a "short story" book: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/steam-exclusive-goodies.11039489/

Does anybody know if the Compendium included with physical preorders is the same book thats sold separately called "World of Cyberpunk 2077" or are they different books?

100% different book.

Also, CP2077 does not HAVE a physical copy on PC. Street shops will have a box with a download code inside it along with all the rest of the random stuff.

Indeed. Last game I bought with a physical disc simply had the Steam bootloader on it. Since the disc no longer have copies of the game to act as an archive (even if they did, the prevalence of day one patches renders makes them basically worthless), you might as well simply buy it online. There's a lot less clutter.

Just buy on gog and stop fuckin around
lol then why do they fuck around by offering exclusive content to various retailers? I think Im going to preorder at Bestbuy for the physical bonus items... I know it comes with a download code anyway, but its the right choice for me... if they want me to buy on Gog then reduce the price to $50, and offer me the option of purchasing a physical map + the compendium separately for a $10 what would the difference be? why do these things have to be "exclusive" to specific retailers? they screwed themselves doing it that way

you might as well simply buy it online. There's a lot less clutter.
I just wanted something physical to look at like a foldout map, or a book to show people in-person instead of something digital... I dont care about the fact that I have to download the game, its over 80GB for this game obviously it doesnt fit on any DVDs

Unless you pick up your physical copy of the game one launch day (or have same day shipping I guess), you will also not be able to play on launch.
is that really an issue though? Cyberpunk is the first game I pre-ordered since GTA5, i rarely preorder games since they are often buggy the first week anyway and usually I'd rather just wait for the complete edition when all the DLC is cheaper, so I can handle waiting as I have no intention of spending 10hours playing the game on day 1

Buying on digital lets you play ASAP and potentially even preload the game ahead of time. It also saves you to clutter of disks/cases
physical copies are still a download anyway, so none of those things concern me

if you get the (really excellent) World of Cyberpunk book now you will have something to read obsessively until the 10th. :)
I'm hesitant to spend the extra money because I probably wont read it "obsessively" ill probably glance through it a couple times and let it collect dust lol, I just want to have a solid introduction to the world since I have never read/played any of the older cyberpunk stuff before, and Im sure there will be some interesting details about the city and its characters

Different books. The one included with the Witcher 3 had about 20 pages or so, for example.

Thanks, maybe I'll hold off and wait a little longer before buying the WoC book since Im going with a physical copy

Last edited:
I'm a Steam guy. Pre-ordered the game for myself, my younger brother, and my step dad for Christmas last year when the release date was April. lol. And now we will all finally get to take on Night City

I got the yellow lore book and read that. Also the guide book is on pre-order. I might read some of it, not sure yet.

I remember way back when I got my start on Steam playing Left for Dead. My parents played Left for Dead with me, shooting hordes of Zombies on Saturday night. It was awesome man... gaming with your parents. My mom machine gunned a lot of zombies dead back then. Her only problem was she always woke up that crying witch zombie and we would die.

MOM!!! REALLY!? AGAIN?

Guest 4211861

I certainly don't want any more useless garbage cluttering up my room. Bought it on GoG.

Thanks, maybe I'll hold off and wait a little longer before buying the WoC book since Im going with a physical copy
the world of cyberpunk book sold separately is likely to run out of retailers...It did so in my locale quite quickly. Just a heads-up. I don't know if its truly worth the effort though.

Top Bottom