Pillars of Eternity

+
Yeah InExile used Obsidian's speech thingy, that they've used in New Vegas, South Park, Dungeon Siege and whatnot. Think this is really a good method of going forward, devs teaming up and sharing assets, as the industry has fairly much always suffered from not building on prior successes, which is why we now have to fund games ourselves because it's so broken.

Yeah InExile used Obsidian's speech thingy, that they've used in New Vegas, South Park, Dungeon Siege and whatnot. Think this is really a good method of going forward, devs teaming up and sharing assets, as the industry has fairly much always suffered from not building on prior successes, which is why we now have to fund games ourselves because it's so broken.

Open sourcing engines helps fixing that :)

Today we have some information and screen shots on Raedric's Hold for you all!

The Raedric line has held dominion over the lands surrounding Gilded Vale for generations, and its formidable keep stands as a bulwark against the dangers of the Dyrwood. Despite their lofty position as Aedyran nobility, the Raedrics joined in the fighting for independence from the Empire during the War of Defiance. In the wake of the Dyrwood's victory, they retained both their stronghold and their stature. Raedric VII now carries the title of Thayn, pledged to Gilded Vale's defense against all threats - both physical and spiritual in nature. Raedric's iron-fisted rule has seen his people through many hardships, but in the aftermath of the Saint's War, new threats have arisen - threats Raedric has sworn to scour from his lands and reclaim some of Gilded Vale's past glory. At his invitation, new settlers have braved long distances to settle within Gilded Vale, tempted by the offer of land and opportunity.

forums.obsidian.net/topic/70682-new-screenshots-have-a-look-at-raedrics-hold/

Game looks really smooth and fluid. It's essentially what I backed: Infinity Engine Reloaded, a.k.a Baldur's Dale: Torment. Even the mouse clicks on the ground look similar to IE, not to mention the whole interface. Just much slicker and with better placement.

Very excited about this. We know this is just an IE revival but it may lead to new, original cRPG's.

It's interesting that they have castle building / management part in there. Story sequences are very stylish, no doubt a nod to D&D.

Game looks really smooth and fluid. It's essentially what I backed: Infinity Engine Reloaded, a.k.a Baldur's Dale: Torment. Even the mouse clicks on the ground look similar to IE, not to mention the whole interface. Just much slicker and with better placement.

Very excited about this. We know this is just an IE revival but it may lead to new, original cRPG's.

Well. "Just" an IE revival? I mean, yeah, that's the engine and art mechanic, but the setting is original. Okay, VERY DnD, like many IE games were DnD, but still original. Learning all about the cultures, places and races, I got a fantasy vibe more than DnD. Maybe because it has firearms and so few DnD games I played did, but also because I know so little about who works with who and why and how.

Felt like an original CRPG to me. Certainly as much as Torment when I played it.

Hmm. Is that true? Yeah...yeah, I think it is. I'm eager to see more of this world, even from the little corner I've seen playing the beta.

It's interesting that they have castle building / management part in there. Story sequences are very stylish, no doubt a nod to D&D.

Castle management/Stronghold isn't a big deal for me, it always felt kind of added on in games. Never as much work as I'd expect it to be and it rarely influenced the story in a concrete way. Much more excited about what happens if you pick the slave background. Already had a dialgoue reference to that in the BB. I bristled, of course.

Isn't PoE already a new original cRPG IP?
Sure, not that original as far as the high fantasy setting is concerned, but at least it's not AD&D all over again.

I'm not sure if you actually can innovate besides changing the setting or switch out RTwP for turn based and still call your game a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games of old. Even using 3D environments instead of 2D pre-rendered backdrops like in Wasteland 2 is already borderline, as far as I'm concerned.

---------- Updated at 02:21 AM ----------

Regarding the PAX panel and showcase, I probably enjoyed the bits of the VO and the party banter the most. Sounded very professional and on par with BG2.

Although being able to backhand people with your spell tome and send them flying a bit was equally impressive. Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword indeed.

Also, 'you must gather your party before venturing forth'.

Last edited:
OK I may have phrased it incorrectly. PoE is an original idea, and I'm hoping it will lead to other cRPGs in the near future that also implement newish concepts in a familiar game layout.

Didn't mean to say PoE is unoriginal. I meant it resembles IE games, that was their KS pitch and it is actually one of its strengths. I am aware of how much work has gone into this game, for instance redefining class roles. I read the updates, I'm a backer!

I am actually really excited for this game. What you read before was me being thrilled and not knowing what I was typing.

Update #91: Closing in on March 26th!

By BAdler on March 12, 2015 12:00 AM

Hello, backers. We are closing in on our release date. It is a pretty exciting time, but you are probably wondering about the process to redeem your game (and other rewards) on our Backer Portal. In this update we will discuss the basic process of reward redemption on the Backer Portal and in the next update we will get in depth and provide instructions for you. We also have some cool stuff to show off like a teaser of our documentary, new screenshots, and our PAX Panel.

Let's jump in!

Pillars of Eternity Documentary: Part 1
We have a treat for you guys. We've got our hands on a cut of the first 15 minutes of the Pillars of Eternity documentary. We are splitting it into two parts and you can find the first part below.

Tell Me More about Confirming Pledges

Don't mind if I do.

Step one, and this is very important, make sure you have gone through and confirmed your pledge if you haven't already. Almost all of you have already done this, but there are a few folks that still haven't confirmed their pledge. If you don't confirm your pledge (including adding a shipping address for physical goods) we may not be able to fulfill your rewards in a timely manner.

If you need more information about how to confirm your pledge check out Update 69. It goes into full detail about pledge management in the Backer Portal section.

If you have a survey that you never completed, please do so. If you have in-game rewards (like an NPC, an item, or even backer credits) we most likely will be unable to fulfill those rewards because the game is close to releasing, but we will do our best to get those rewards into patches or the expansion pack.

So, let's say that you have completed your pledge confirmation. What do you do? Well, not much right now. On the week of release we will give you another backer update that goes into detail on how to use our reward redemption system on the Backer Portal. This will show you how to download all of your rewards. If you would like a preview of the system, it is explained in detail in Update 83. Just check out the Wasteland 2 section and it will describe how key redemption works.

New Screenshots
Over the past couple of weeks we have released some new screenshots on our forums.

Our first screenshot pack featured Raedric's Hold. The Raedric line has held dominion over the lands surrounding Gilded Vale for generations, and its formidable keep stands as a bulwark against the dangers of the Dyrwood.

Our second screenshot pack featured wurms, drakes, and dragons! Young dragons begin as wurms and grow into drakes as they adapt to their environments. Once mature, they adapt even more extensively as their coloration, ornamentation, and (to a limited degree) body structure will reflect their chosen territory, as will some of their attacks and defenses. Check out the Sky Dragon below.

Backer Beta

For those of you folks in the Backer Beta we have good news. We are releasing an updated Backer Beta version today. You will find lots of bug fixes and plenty of game polish. This will be the last update we post for the backer beta, so if you have any feedback you would still like to give us, make sure you head to our forums and let us know.

PAX East
[video=youtube;roK1wzOLT-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roK1wzOLT-k[/video]

The Pillars of Eternity crew gave a panel at PAX East. We were able to show off some companions, discuss the Stronghold system, and explore a cool new dungeon. If you weren't able to catch it, you're in luck because it was streamed. Check out the footage on YouTube.

Kickstarter: Seven Dragon Saga

If you are like me, I am sure you are a huge fan of the Gold Box Dungeons and Dragons games. We have some pretty exciting news for you. TSI, the spiritual successor to SSI, has just launched a brand new Kickstarter.

In Seven Dragon Saga you shape the wild and dangerous Drakelands with your choices. Impress with noble deeds. Coerce with threats and violence. Or simply lay waste to the empire's enemies without mercy or regret.

The game will feature tactical, turn-based combat and a dramatic storyline with plenty of side content to explore.

Show those guys some love and let's get a great new game funded.

Okay, that's it for now. Next you hear from us we will explain how to redeem your rewards in detail.
eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-91-closing-in-on-march-26th

Last edited:
Bunch of new screenshots, because you can never have enough of those:

Little is known about the long-lost Engwithan empire or its culture. Called the "Builders" by the tribes of Eir Glanfath, the Engwithans are believed to have created strange, elaborate structures over decades using shaped pillars of living adra to support the stone. Their language is barely understood by even the most well-read scholars, leaving many details of their society lost to the ages and hopelessly mired in rumor, folklore, and blatant lies.

forums.obsidian.net/topic/70983-new-screenshots-the-engwithan-empire-part-1/

Extensive interview with the Codex:

My first question for the Obsidian guys was about what they see as the difference between publisher-funded games and Kickstarter-funded games, and what they've learned or done differently when comparing Pillars to their previous games. I asked them that since they’ve gotten screwed in the past, what was their take on things this time around?

Adam Brennecke: In developing it from day one I knew that we weren’t going to have a publisher involved and that allowed us to reorganize how we do pre-production. I feel that pre-production is the most important part to a game’s development and you have to figure out your shit and make sure all your stuff is put together. So when you enter production you’re just making the game at that point. A lot of times when working with a publisher you have to do a demo at the end of pre-production. A lot of times that can be very… we call it the dog and pony show. You have to show stuff that isn’t ready to be shown yet. It’s very rough and packed together…

mindx2: … you have to reach those milestones…

Adam: …. Yeah it might be a feature in… you might do it in production but it’s not that important to do but it’s kind of a showy feature. It’s not a fundamental building block feature. And one thing we did really well on Pillars is we developed a lot of our core tech and a lot of our core RPG low level systems ahead of time. During pre-production our vertical slice was pretty rough but we all knew, the owners, the leads knew it would be looking rough. That helped a lot. We put a lot of pressure on the team to make sure that we knew how to make the game in production. That was the most important thing that I think helped the development of the game.

mindx2: Not having a publisher breathing down your neck…

Adam: … which is huge, just huge. We wouldn’t have been able to make a game as huge as it is without a good pre-production.

mindx2: With the success this is looking like, have publishers seen that success? Does it even register on their radar? You can look at MMX or Larian’s Divinity: Original Sin that was a huge success…

Chris Avellone: So the answer to that is that there are certain publishers that see that type and scope of a game to work really well with their portfolio. I think it took Kickstarter to show them that it is financially viable. So, yes we are actually having publishers approaching us to do similar types of games just because of Kickstarter.

mindx2: Speaking of KS, Peter Molyneux has been in the news lately and he went out and admitted that he went into KS not asking for enough money at the start. Is that what Pillars did?

Chris: That he didn’t ask for enough to begin?

Adam: His initial asking goal.

Chris: One thing I like about Obsidian is the fact that when we actually do the Kickstarters we try and make sure we ask for the exact amount of money it would take to make the game. I know some people play the KS game and they ask for much lower goals hoping to get much higher because they think those high numbers will scare people off. I think one good thing is we all come from Black Isle and we know what the level of production is going to be needed to actually do the game. We actually did ask for the amount we needed.

Adam: I had to put together a little production plan beforehand.

Chris: That must have been so fun…

Adam: Yeah (sarcastically), the 1.1 million we ask for I had to put together a production plan based on that budget and show it to Feargus.

Chris: And Tim [Cain] was the most expensive.

[laughter]

mindx2: That’s what Paul Neurath [OtherSide Entertainment] told me. At the baseline he could make the game [Underworld Ascendant] but it would be a lean, no bells and whistles game.

Adam: …and that’s where all the stretch goals came from.

Brandon Adler: What was [our] base game?

Josh Sawyer: Base game was 5 classes, 3 races…

Brandon: …and it was all the base classes.

Josh: Yeah… and just the human, elf and dwarf.

mindx2: So what were you expected out of the backer beta and what did you actually get out of it?

Josh: I was expected pretty close to what we got. Just a ton of feedback all over the place. On everything people cared about. It was mostly to look at what a mid-game feels like to have a big party which is why we started with 4 plus your main character. Diving in to see how the interface feels, how the classes feel, how the UI feels. Obviously, we got a lot of feedback and all that stuff. So we tried to iterate over time and hopefully improve that stuff…

mindx2: …and that leads into my next question- why did the mechanics change so wildly in the betas?

Josh: Ah… because some of them fucking sucked.

[laughter]

Josh: I mean that’s iteration. It’s the middle of development so sometimes I design something and it’s just not a good mechanic and people play it and they're like “I don’t like this.” Or even before people see it and we put it in and we realize that this isn’t even fun. Like we had the Cipher that had to maintain this focus thing and you had this and you would hold it on someone. You would start using a power and it would just sort of stick on the character but to make it more powerful you would have your Cipher not do anything [else] and that’s not fun. It sounds obvious now when I say it but at the time we were like that kind of sounds like a psionist is fucking shit up over time but it just wasn’t fun. So we just tried to adjust things so that people [have fun], and there’s a wide range of taste so…

mindx2: Why did you never land on a world identifying name such as Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk? I mean, is everything after just going to be Pillars of Eternity 2, 3, etc.?

Tim Cain: I think it’s more evocative. I just remember when it was floating around and that came up. I remember there was a list of names that came out and it was “what do you like?” and I remember seeing Pillars and going this is very evocative. As opposed to well… Forgotten Realms isn’t really the name of an area.

mindx2: Alright, this next question is near and dear to the Codex’s heart…

Chris: The heart?

mindx2: Yes, we have heart.

Josh: Ahhh, yeah…

mindx2: You wound me… What do you think with all these other Kickstarters going turn-based do you think Obsidian might be locked into the RTwP style game?

Josh: I hope not. I want to make a turn-based game. I really want to make a turn-based game.

Chris: I don’t think we’re locked in. The only conditions are that the turn-based should support whatever the next franchise is and also if we ever do a game similar to Pillars we would want to leverage all the real-time systems that Josh and Tim have contributed to them. Because once that system is really solid and polished it would be a huge waste of time to recreate a new combat system when what they’ve developed is already great.

mindx2: With Unity now going free what does that do as far as opening the game up to modding/modders?

Adam: I have no idea as it just went free this week? We haven’t really thought about that. I haven’t really looked into it a lot.

Josh: But that’s really cool.

Adam: Yeah, that is pretty cool. I don’t think it changes a whole lot but the biggest obstacle for modders are going to be making the backgrounds. It’s just rough. We’ll be pretty open on how the process goes but it’s pretty complicated.

mindx2: Well talking about those backgrounds… how many areas were you able to give a paint-over?

Brandon: I’m not sure, we hit most of the main areas but there are a ton of side areas that we either thought were good as they were and didn’t need a paint-over or we just didn’t have time towards the end. But like a lot of our major scenes that the player will see got a lot of paint-overs. One good example is one area that we painted in all the water damage on the docks and things like that. So areas you’re going to visit all the time got the treatment.

mindx2: There was a great surge of lore writing at the beginning of the project but I’m curious how this continued during and after the KS.

Josh: I mostly just tried to flesh out the things that were necessary to support the story stuff that Eric Fenstermaker and Carrie [Patel] were doing and to support anything that they needed for writing companions. I didn’t want to design a bunch of stuff or weren’t super relevant to the immediate game. I wanted to give it enough of a foundation that it felt like a believable place. If people had ideas for certain things… for examples Bobby Knowles, one of our designers, he really wanted a Death Knight of some sort and I’m like, “OK man, I hadn’t thought of that but let’s think of how that would happen in this setting and figure how it fits into the lore."

mindx2: As the KS grew and you saw how much money you were going to get did that have any influence that you could expand this part more or that part more?

Josh: To be honest I barely had time to think about that. It happened so quickly that I was like, oh shit, I’m going to have to develop a lot of this stuff very quickly.

mindx2: Did Ziets have any more involvement since the beginning?

Josh: No, he was involved very early on and we are still using a lot of his ideas, especially for the gods and things like that. As well as the lore for some of the cities and some of the regions in the game are based off his initial concepts. So we were able to use a lot of that stuff.

Chris: Like Josh said, he fleshed out a lot of the pantheon and did a really good job with that but he’s really focused on the Torment successor right now with inXile but he really wanted to get back into area design.

mindx2: Mr. Cain, or as you are called, Sir Tim Cain… now that you’re back designing and with Obsidian I would love to you say, “I would love to do a turn-based game!”

Tim: I love turn-based games. This actually goes back to something Chris was saying, when I worked on South Park… right when I arrived there it was a real-time game and one of the things I was asked was to make it turn-based. It’s easy to turn real-time systems into turn-based ones, so I’m just throwing that out there [as he looks towards the other team members].

[laughter]

Tim: I’m familiar with a lot of these systems in Pillars and how to convert them. Again I’m just saying that…

mindx2: Did you play Divinity: Original Sin and what did you think about it?

Tim: I did not play Divinity yet.

Chris: Actually a week before this interview Tim was panicking that he hadn’t played it yet.

Tim: I know, I just didn’t have time!

mindx2: Anybody here play it?

Josh: I’ve played a few hours of it.

Brandon: I’ve played some hours of it.

mindx2: …and what did you think of the turn-based combat system?

Josh: I thought it was pretty cool but I don’t think I got far enough into it to really get deep into the mechanics. I thought the game was really cool overall. It’s interesting because in some ways you would think it would be very similar to Pillars of Eternity but obviously being turn-based, the co-op with the way the personalities develop back and forth is a very interesting mechanic that they had. The environmental interactions…

mindx2: …which I was going to say that the environmental interaction is the one thing that really caught people’s eye and would work perfectly with a system built by Tim.

Tim: I’ll put it on my list of things I’m behind on playing.

mindx2: Apart from the card game with Piazo anything else in the foreseeable future?

Chris: We have Armored Warfare, helping out with the Skyforge MMO and there’s one other unannounced RPG… am I forgetting anything…?

[someone]: Expansion…

mindx2: [towards Chris] Is the unannounced RPG your baby?

[At this point, there was some cross-talk while I was asking Avellone my question, and I clearly heard someone say “Is it one or two expansions?”, and someone else replied, "with an 's', right?". When I asked if there are two expansions, they tried to cover it up, but I wasn't buying it. I said that I had clearly heard an 's' after the word "expansion", but all I got in response was some uncomfortable laughter. Giving up, I repeated my original question to Chris.]

Chris: No it’s not.

mindx2: What about a game in the style of Temple of Elemental Evil?

[laughter]

mindx2: Well think about it. This is the Codex so you know you’re going to get these turn-based questions.

Tim: I own the ToEE code, not Atari. So who knows? Of course I don’t own any of the art…

Josh: Oh come on Tim, you can make all the art yourself…

[laughter]

mindx2: Any other platform plans as that seems to be all the rage lately with going to different platforms?

Josh: [chuckling] I don’t think this game is going to be on a console.

mindx2: Wasteland 2 is going onto consoles…

Brandon: Can’t you just submit it to Unity…

[laughter]

Josh: I always thought it would be nice to see it on tablets but… Adam actually got it running on a Windows 8 tablet a long time ago but we haven’t looked at it in a long time.

mindx2: What are your thoughts on TSI’s new “Gateway” system?

[blank stares from the group]

mindx2: Have you heard about that?

Josh: TSI is the SSI reboot right?

mindx2: Sure is, and they are hooking up with inXile and Harebrained Schemes to allow players to transfer characters to different games from these companies.

Tim: How would that work? They are two totally different systems…

[laughter at Tim’s confused look]

mindx2: That’s my question.

Brandon: I actually talked to someone over there about this. Unfortunately, they contacted us after we had already locked down our save game system so we weren’t going to be able to go back in and change things. At the time they had mentioned that they wanted to maybe pull out certain types of data and information like a name or a class or maybe even a race. It might be generic enough to go between different [games].

mindx2: It was so vague in what they were talking about.

Brandon: It was a little… they hadn’t fully fleshed it out yet. So we had kind of talked about it that maybe we could do it in the future and figure something out but… to be honest I haven’t really moved forward with any of this.

Chris: That does make some sense. Some people just always go from game to game being the dwarf fighter and that would work between Shadowrun and… no, not Torment…

Tim: The save game format is such that we could probably write a converter…

Josh: Tim is on the tape!

Brandon: Did we say Tim has great ideas but we’re going to have to see where that fits in the production schedule.

[laughter]

Tim: I’m just saying…

mindx2: another question before my time runs out and I still would like to get some pictures. In fact, I have two specific picture requests…

Chris: Uh Oh!

Tim: He’s brought this pretty dress for Josh to wear.

[laughter]

mindx2: What games do you play today?

Chris: You’re not going to want to hear this but Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.

mindx2: You’re right; I don’t want to hear that.

Josh: I’m playing a lot of tabletop games lately especially Ars Magica and Burning Wheel. Also I started Shadowrun: Dragonfall, very nice. And anyone who sees me on Steam knows I still play Hitman: Blood Money all the time.

[laughter]

Josh: It’s a nice, like if I have a twenty minutes… it’s like ah, I’ll let off some steam. I’ve been trying to play a lot of tabletop games in the past year because I was away from it for awhile.

Adam: I’ve been playing Hearthstone a lot and… that’s pretty much it. I play soccer and I get out. I’m looking forward to Bloodborne.

Brandon: The latest thing I did was Rogue Legacy but that's just me mindlessly playing. The last real game that I’ve kind of completed was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is really cool. Pretty cool story and the environments were beautiful in that game and fun to play.

Tim: I’m playing World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor because I have to see how the garrison system works. I just wanted to see it to compare it to our stronghold.

mindx2: Are you familiar with the Stasis game by Chris Bischoff?

["Oh yeah!" from the whole group]

mindx2: You guys have got to get together with that man and make a proper turn-based game!

Josh: I really loved his… he did was… Twin Elmes fan art inspired renderer which was really awesome and was inspirational for us when we were looking at the lighting stuff he was doing. We said, “That’s a really cool look.”

mindx2: Anything else you would like to share with the Codex… now’s your chance.

Chris: If anyone is unhappy with their Wasteland 2 signature box please send it back…

[Laughter. I had given Chris a hard time right before we started talking that his signature on my W2 Collector’s box was rather lackluster and boring compared to some I had seen. He said he has threatened Feargus that he will never do an assembly line type signing again as he absolutely hated it just for that reason.]

Balance!

Josh: So somebody asked on the Codex forum for you to ask me about why Might would affect things like crossbows and things like that or why everyone can engage and it’s actually for consistency and to help with the player’s learning curve because I think that can trip up people a lot in D&D is that there’s a lot of hidden like… that affects a lot of this stuff but not that. Like a subset of characters can do this stuff but not all characters can. I think that, especially when a player is building a character for the first time they don’t know any of that stuff. That's all very hard to communicate quickly and I think the negatives of finding out “Oh, by the way Might affects crossbow damage” I think those negatives are far less than finding out “Oh, I built a high Might character but it doesn’t affect bow damage”. This is something that happens in D&D where if you built your character wrong, you can’t go back and fix it. So screw you. It's not realistic and I admit it’s not realistic but it’s done so that a person can build their character and feel confident that what they invested in is actually going to pay off in the game. That’s my hope anyway.

Adam: Yeah!

mindx2: Well then I have one more question for you then [to Josh], what do you think in Pillars of Eternity is the “funnest” part?

Josh: Um, I think it’s really trying to build… finding all the different ways to build your character and parties. That’s something that… well, that runs through a lot of stuff. To be honest a lot of what people say is this isn’t realistic or they don’t like some aspect of it like weapons for example. Like why do daggers do so much damage or a hatchet do so much damage or whatever. It’s done that way so that if you have an idea for a character that’s kind of an oddball or something that character might actually suck or be terrible in D&D but I think it’s important for it to be pretty good in our game. And if people want to make this really oddball collection of characters there’s going to be some things that are hard for them but I think it’s important for players to feel like they have that freedom to develop it. There are going to be trade-offs for it but as much as possible I want them…

mindx2: So that’s where the balance thing comes into play?

Josh: Yeah.

mindx2: And do you think everything needs that balance? I mean what’s wrong with having a crappy build?

Josh: I think if it’s a non-viable build then that’s garbage, like it just doesn’t feel good. I think that if you want to build a sub-par character that’s ok but I think it’s about a certain gulf like… for example, if you build an 18 Charisma fighter in Baldur’s Gate you just built a shitty fighter. That’s just a bad fighter…

Chris: Especially in the first five minutes of the game and you find that 18 Charisma ring and you go…

[laughter]

Josh: Yeah, if you build an 18 Resolve fighter in PoE that’s a very defensively oriented character that won’t get interrupted very much. Is that the same as an 18 Might character? No, but it’s not about perfect balance, it’s about relative balance and finding a way to play to that character's strengths. So it’s never been about absolute perfect balance.

Chris: The worst role-playing game - PnP one - I’ve ever been in was when I actually made a character that I really wanted to role-play and the GM just goes, “I’m sorry but your character is just not going to survive. It’s just not going to work in our group.” But I just wanted to role-play and I think Josh has been very cognizant about that for which I greatly appreciate that.

mindx2: Alright, where were we… oh yeah, what do you want to tell the Codex?

Adam: I love you guys. I do lurk and read almost every forum post in the Pillars thread. Just so you guys know, I’m reading.

mindx2: It’s one of our longest threads right now.

[laughter]

Chris: Do you guys keep metrics about that stuff?

mindx2: As many members of ours that have a hint of autism… yes, I’m sure there is…

[lots of laughter on that one]

Brandon: I’m not sure I have anything to say to them as I’ll go on there and talk to them. So if they have any specific questions they can just send me a PM on our forums and I can answer it there.

mindx2: The one brave soul who actually still posts on our forum…

Brandon: Now, now… granted I won’t be answering everything!

Chris: You’re familiar with Anthony Davis, right?

mindx2: Oh yeah, Anthony is great!

Brandon: Sometimes Anthony writes something and I’m like, “Oh Anthony why…?”

Josh: We get so many alerts about that… “Anthony just posted on the Codex!”

[laughter]

Tim: I still read, I still read the Codex. I’ve been reading it ever since it was created. It remains one of the more… possibly the most… passionate, that’s a good adjective… passionate…

Chris: Provocative.

[more laughter]

Tim: … passionate places about RPGs that exists.

mindx2: I think the Codex scares people and I think that is ridiculous.

Chris: Can I quote you on that? Well that’s… OK, people will think to me, “Are you kidding?!” You guys have killed people!

mindx2: …but we hide the bodies very well. Seriously, if you go in there, you will probably be attacked but it’s almost a trial by fire ritual… once you get past that…

Chris: Actually the first six months after Fallout 2 the RPG Codex was the best training mechanism when you just need to calm down, pull the calluses off your soul and figure out what they’re saying rather than have hurt feelings. Sometimes it’s a bit heartbreaking when you have a junior developer and they see feedback like that they obviously get very upset but that just means the calluses are forming. The training you guys actually provide is considered the hallmarks of our careers. You have actually trained me to be calm about these things. I’m like, “Well, it’s not as bad as the Codex so I really don’t care what you’re saying because you’re not as bad as the Codex.”

Tim: What’s funny is I was going to post something there about a year ago, I do have an account there, but I can’t remember my password.

Chris: Neither can I!

mindx2: I will have them send it to you!

My time with the gentlemen from Obsidian had expired and the meeting wrapped up. I thanked each of them for taking the time out of their hectic schedules to speak with me. Before leaving, I asked for a few photos, and for Sawyer and Avellone to sign my Collector’s Edition of Fallout: New Vegas. We’ll soon be able to find out how well the team did, as Pillars of Eternity is scheduled to be released less than two weeks from now, on March 26th. Oh, and here's one more photo I had to take before I left:

Jealous?
rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9818

Also:
3/19/2015, 8 p.m. EST: Interview with Josh Sawyer, Project Director for Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity!
twitch.tv/arvaneleron

Obsidian Entertainment AMA Answers are here!

The answers for the questions we collected from the community a while ago have arrived. The questions are answered by Josh Sawyer(Project Lead), Eric Fenstermaker(Lead Narrative Designer) and Adam Brennecke(Executive Producer and Lead Programmer). The whole AMA didn't fit in the OP so I cut a part of it out and added it as a comment to the thread. Without further ado.

/u/lordnequam:
Much has been made of the fact that PoE is a chance for Obsidian to truly get out there and flex their creative muscle, to stretch their wings and fly, and whatever other reliable metaphors might come to mind, unhindered by concerns like pre-existing IP, being a sequel to someone else's game, or interference from publishers. In that way, it may be the single most Obsidian game that Obsidian has ever made.
So here at the finish line, looking back on everything that the company has done, how do you think that has affected the finished product? Beyond the simple fact of PoE being an Infinity Engine-style game that wouldn't have been funded any other way, what have you been able to do with the freedom that Kickstarting the project gave you? In short, what have you accomplished with Pillars of Eternity that you couldn't have done with any other project in Obsidian's history?
Josh Sawyer:
As a quick note, I wouldn't say we're free of any existing IP, because the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games as well as Planescape: Torment all served as inspirational models for how we built Pillars of Eternity. It's how we initially presented the idea of the game to the public, so we've been careful to try to capture as much of the good stuff as we can from those games.
Still, by developing this game without a publisher, we've been free to create and iterate on ideas in ways that wouldn't have been possible on our other projects. When we made choices about the setting, the characters in it, the themes of our story, the mechanics of the system, etc., those were our choices to make. Those were also sometimes our mistakes to make, and we've tried to use early exposure to the public, both through our updates and our Backer Beta, to correct problems whenever possible.
That sort of feedback and our ability to evaluate and act on it ourselves is not normally possible with a traditional publisher-funded model. Often publishers either want developers to be extremely sparing with information or they only want the developers to act on focus-tested and marketing-filtered feedback. Seeing how people actually play the game (thanks, YouTube) and talk about it among themselves (especially when they don't think the developers are reading) feels a lot more genuine and useful than structured focus tests, in my opinion.

/u/monosco:
What is the thought process on how the expansion business model will look? Are you folks interested in direct releasing additional content as it is finished, or going the route of Shadowrun?
Also for the sake of sibling rivalry: Please briefly explain how purchasing this game for my older brother, who got me into the old IE games, makes me the better brother overall.
Adam Brennecke:
We are looking at doing an expansion that's about the same size (area wise) of Tales of the Sword Coast. I won't reveal much about it since it's early in development, but we've already have a small team working on areas and environments while the rest of the team focus on shipping the game. We will announcing more things about it over the next few months. To you and your bro: You are both awesome and we love you. /hugs

/u/spacekungfuman:
The one thing that Baldur's Gate 1 did better than any other games before or since was to give you a feeling of being a freebooter just trying to make your way in a strange, dangerous world. Low levels were very punishing and dangerous, but if you made it to the higher levels, you felt like you had really earned that power. Was the progression system for Pillars of Eternity intended to replicate that feeling of early danger and well deserved late game strength?
Josh Sawyer:
I don't think that the early game is quite as dangerous as it is in BG1. From the beginning until you reach Gilded Vale, it's pretty safe. However, once you start doing quests within and around Gilded Vale, you can get your face stomped pretty quickly, especially on higher difficulty levels. I'm just about finished with a Hard playthrough and even with 12th level characters and a lot of unique, upgraded gear, there are still challenging fights out there for me. On the flipside, there's no level scaling, so when I go through an area that I'm over-leveled and over-geared for, blasting everything to bits with ease is pretty fun.

/u/Left4Troll:
With a lot of games you hear about how some story, feature, or character that the Devs wanted to cover couldn't be implemented because of the publisher schedule.
I was wondering if you guys were able to fit everything you wanted to in the game, since the development schedule is different with no publisher?
Adam Brennecke:
With every creative endeavor even if we had unlimited funding and time, there would be always be something that didn't make the final cut. With this project, since we didn't have a publisher, we had to be more diligent about keeping a tight schedule to make sure we could ship the game - there's always hundreds of ideas that we need to cut because they won't fit in the budget/time constraints. As professionals, we are all used to it, so it's not disappointing in any way.

/u/Idmccoll:
I love progression mechanics in my RPGs! Unfortunately, common issues arise: progression either happens too slowly to have individual levels feel meaningful at early levels, or becomes too powerful at high levels. Baldurs gate could be an example of the former, KotOR 2 an example of the latter. My question is: how have the different aspects of player-controlled progression (ability scores, feats, powers, etc) been developed to deliver an in-game experience where every level gained feels meaningful?
Josh Sawyer:
I believe so. While there are a few things I wish I could go back and tweak or change about character progression, I think every class gains something cool and useful at every level. The odd levels still feel a bit more impactful than the even ones because odd levels are when characters get most class abilities (feat-like talents are on even levels), but the progression feels traditional (i.e., not super-fast) and meaningful.
I think we have gear progression in a good place now, too, especially when it comes to unique armor and weapons. We've put a lot of effort into making sure every weapon and armor type has good representation in the game. If you want to make a dagger and club specialist, there's cool stuff in the game for you. The Enchantment system makes it possible for you to continue upgrading your favorite unique weapons, armor, and shields if you really like the aesthetic or one of the unique properties it has.

/u/w32015:
As someone who likes a strong challenge but is not sadistic, what combination of difficulty settings would you recommend? I'm leaning towards all options but "Trial of Iron" as my first (completely blind) playthrough. I won't save scum but I don't like the idea of one bad fight costing me dozens of hours of playtime.
Adam Brennecke:
Only if you have recent experience playing the IE games and want a challenge I would recommend hard difficulty. I really, really do not recommend Path of the Damned or Trial of Iron for your first play through unless you are really sadistic. The "Triple Crown" is Path of the Damned, Trial of Iron, and Solo (meaning not taking or creating any companions). The team is looking forward to watching a Let's Play of that. No one on the QA team has been able to accomplish it yet...

/u/Kinetic_Waffle:
So... bit of a more general question here...
What's your favourite part of the game? Both what you've worked on and are most proud of, and what you've played with for the most enjoyment? What're the bits of the game that just came out better than you guys expected and you look at and think, 'Yeah. We did that right.'
Eric Fenstermaker:
For what I got to work on, I'm excited for the reactivity in the game. I was sitting in our narrator's voiceover recording session a few months ago, and almost all of it was lines of epilogue, because of all the various permutations of player choices that can be made in the game. We got to the end of the session and he was only like halfway through the script. On the one hand, I'm thinking, I'm gonna get yelled at because we had (at the time) only scheduled and budgeted for one session for him. But on the other hand, I'm thinking, damn straight we need two recording sessions for this ending. That's an RPG, son.
And we went kind of overboard with player backgrounds and development, too. One of the big goals for the narrative was to make sure the player was able to really roleplay the character they envisioned. So we started with 17 backgrounds, but then we added several additional layers of nuance to better define that background. You're a drifter, sure, but are you more of a swindler who gets chased from town to town or are you more of a roving psychopath? You make those choices early on in a conversation with an NPC, and then they show up in a procedurally generated biography. Then you play the game and the bio keeps getting longer with every major choice you make. By the end of the game you've got this entire memoir that you wrote by playing the game - a chronicle of the character you've been defining the whole time. And the odds are that because of all the different possible choices throughout the game, no two biographies will turn out the same.
In terms of my favorite part to play... difficult without spoilers, and I'm biased toward the first half of the game, which I've played more, but there's an area where you're sneaking around a place you're not supposed to be, and you can either go in guns blazing or you can be more clever about it and sneak through incognito. In the latter case, you're prompted for a password when you're right in the belly of the beast, and when they ask it there's a wisecrack you can give instead of the real answer, and I usually can't resist and it leads to a really challenging and fun fight.

/u/underthemilkyway:
Are weapons going to be balanced? In games like Wasteland 2 and even Baldur's Gate there was always a right weapon.
Eric Fenstermaker:
We have a right weapon and it is a pistol called the Disappointer and as far as I'm concerned there's no other way to play the game.
Josh Sawyer:
There will always be efficiency trade-offs where you can show how there's a margin of superiority with a certain build, but overall I think our weapons feel pretty well-balanced. In my recent Hard playthrough, my monk switched between using her bare fists and a spear/hatchet combo. My fighter switched from using sabre and large shield to hammer and medium shield, then dual-wielding hammers, and occasionally changing over to a pike for making attacks from behind allies. My paladin used a greatsword (occasionally a pistol), but in the late game she switched to dual-wielding a sword/dagger combo and opening with an arquebus.
The base weapons all have some nice trade-offs to them and with the unique gear that's available, I think you can develop some really cool characters and strategies.

/u/Eldrig:
I would like to know what many of you at Obsidian think of crowd funding now that you are nearing the end of the line for your first major crowd funded project. What if anything would you do differently? Any unforeseen drawbacks you've encountered? And would you guys consider crowd funding a second game/series should pillars be received well?
Adam Brennecke:
To put it simply: I would say crowdfunding is pretty awesome. We wouldn't be here making Eternity, and many great games in the past couple of years wouldn't have been made if it weren't for Kickstarter. After running the campaign and going through development, we've all learned a great deal on how to better manage stretch goals, on the ins and outs of fulfilling physical goods, and what backer tiers were received well (for us and for the backer). When we do Kickstart another game (or the sequel) we collectively have a lot of new ideas for stretch goals, rewards, and new tiers that should make the crowdfunding campaign that much better.
Creating and manufacturing the reward fulfillment does put a large burden on the team and can be a distraction that takes away time from making the game. Since we've gone through the process now, we've made many contacts that will make the process easier the next go around. We have a dedicated producer on the team, Rose Gomez, who was tasked to wrangle the fulfillment - it's more than a full time job and is an enormous amount of work.

/u/Non_Causa_Pro_Causa:
Sawyer and others have stated that there was an effort to give the game touchstones of a sort for long-term RPG players so there'd be familiarity. That is, classic fantasy races, archetypes, spells, and weapons are present in a way that would allow genre players an easier time sinking into the new setting.
At the same time Avellone stated in an interview that he had gone a bit too outre with a couple of the characters in the game writing-wise and the plotlines were reined in (something like this was also alluded to in the PAX South session I attended).
I think most backers basically trust the writing and setting creation skills of Obsidian Entertainment, or we wouldn't have thrown money at them. So, I was a bit confused by what seems like a move towards "safer" choices in an endeavor which has no real checks on it from a publisher (et al.) standpoint.
Some of the staff's largest accolades in the past have been from breaking the mold and doing things differently(see: Torment's approach to weaponry or the handling of the force in KoTOR2). It seems like a self-styled RPG with no pre-existing barriers from IP-holders or a publisher would've been the opportunity to be no-holds-barred with content. How do you reconcile the grounding of the setting with what would presumably be the fans' desire to see you really be unrestricted in your crafting of a setting?
Eric Fenstermaker:
I can't think of much if anything about the setting that's held us back. There hasn't been a time on this project where someone had an earth-shattering idea, and then someone says, "Yeah, but the setting..." and then we all hang our heads and cut the idea. There's almost always a way to make it work. Like the Forgotten Realms, a strength of the Pillars setting is its flexibility. Those touchstones are places to start from, but it's more our way here to try and twist and corrupt them, or otherwise find ways to make them fresher or more interesting. For the writing, there has never been a directive to stick to conventional ideas about what's accessible.
Another reason not to worry too much about us making "safer" choices is that many members of the Pillars team, myself included, came straight off of working on South Park: The Stick of Truth, so whatever taboos or sacred cows any of us had going into that project were long gone by the time it was finished. We've had to make a number of cuts across all aspects of the game's design, throughout the project. Usually it's because we don't have the resources to make something shine, because it's just not working for one reason or another, or because its subtraction actually leads to greater clarity and elegance of design. It's seldom if ever because of setting constraints, and (in hindsight, anyway) it's typically led to a better overall product when we've made a significant cut. We've had the freedom to make the characters we want to make and tell the stories we want to tell, and I think you'll see that reflected all over the place in the game.

/u/-Sam-R-:
Will the entire soundtrack be live instrumentation, as declared in the fulfilled $4million stretch goal, or will it be largely synthesized?
You guys are easily my favourite developers, and I'm so excited to see what you've accomplished in creating an IP of your own.
Adam Brennecke:
We did use a full orchestra for many pieces including the main theme song, but we weren't able to record the entire soundtrack with live instrumentation due to time constraints. We originally had to schedule the orchestra recording for our original release date last year so newer tracks are not orchestrated. Justin Bell, our composer, was able to record musicians at the studio to add more live instrumentation to pieces that were unable to get the full orchestra treatment. I think you will find the music to be very good!

/u/wgren:
Upgrading to Unity 5: I think I read somewhere that you ran into memory management limitations with Unity when it came to creating lots of NPCs in urban environments. Are you planning to upgrade the engine to Unity 5 for the expansions? Or is that a major task better left for a possible sequel?
Adam Brennecke:
I haven't been able to evaluate Unity 5 yet, so it's hard to say when we are going to upgrade. It's safe to assume that we will be upgrading for a possible sequel.
reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/2zanll/obsidian_entertainment_ama_answers_are_here

Pillars of Eternity Has Gone Gold!

By Mikey Dowling on March 17, 2015 12:00 AM

IRVINE, CA — March 17, 2015 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the fan-funded modern take on a classic role-playing game (RPG) set in an original world created by some of the best minds in RPG development, has reached “Gold Master” (GM) status, and is now ready for its release on March 26, 2015. Pillars of Eternity, originally called “Project Eternity” the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] most funded Kickstarter ever and second most funded video game , has been in development for two and a half years, and is now ready to complete its journey, arriving on Windows, Mac, and Linux PC next week. The game will release globally, with backers receiving their digital copies as well.

“Seeing Pillars of Eternity through has been an incredible journey for all of us at a deeply personal level,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “When we took our idea to Kickstarter, our fans got behind us more than we ever thought. It’s been a blast to match their enthusiasm, see them cheer us on, and have them help to keep us on course every step of the way. It's crazy to think that more than two years have come and gone, but time flies that way when you are creating something as important as Pillars of Eternity has become to us.”

“We knew, when we joined forces with Obsidian, that both the studio and the game were a perfect match for us,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “A core tenet at Paradox is staying closely connected to one’s players and community, and we’ve watched Obsidian do exactly that. From the handling of their crowd-funding to their open dialogue with fans on their forums, Obsidian has been dedicated to fulfilling their promises to players, and we’ve been glad for the chance to help them do it. We’re looking forward to working together with Obsidian for a long time to come.”

Pillars of Eternity
is an RPG inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, featuring an original world and unique game system, Pillars of Eternity ushers in a renaissance for a much beloved style of role playing game. Funded via Kickstarter in late 2012, raising over $4 million through both backer pledges on Kickstarter and PayPal. Pillars of Eternity has been a project of passion for both the development team and the loyal fans who made it possible.

Pillars of Eternity is scheduled to launch next week, on March 26, 2015, and the game can still be pre-ordered until that time. Pre-orders also include two special in-game items: a Giant Miniature Space Piglet companion who will accompany players through the world of Eora, and the Gaun’s Pledge ring, which provides powerful support to heroes in times of peril. Pillars of Eternity can be pre-ordered by visiting http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com.

For more information on Pillars of Eternity, visit eternity.obsidian.net.
eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-has-gone-gold

Question: Are there otters in the game?

Brandon Adler: No, but we are thinking about adding wereotters as a druid form in the expansion.

Question: What is Tim Cain's best recipe?

Tim Cain: I'm going to go with the Darkest Rauatai Cookies. Those puppies are so dark and so rich. I defy you to eat more than three at one sitting. And if you sing the song "The Final Countdown" while replacing the lyrics with "The Darkest Cookie", it might be the best culinary experience that you ever have.

Question: How long exactly is a dragon's flight from Lac Dinneshere?

Eric Fenstermaker: Way longer than it should be since they eliminated all the direct flights to cut costs and now you have to do a 5-hour layover in Cormyr.

Question: How many pennies has Adam Brennecke surrendered to Josh Sawyer over the course of the project?

Adam Brennecke: I have not surrendered a single penny of broken promises from my pocket to Josh over the course of this project. Over the years working with Josh, I've learned my lesson the hard way not to guarantee anything when it comes to discussing things with him. He will make me pay for it, one penny at a time.

Question: How many active cats are in the game?

Josh Sawyer: If you don't include stelgaer and druids in spirtshift form, there are four pet cats you can get. However, for me there is only one choice: The Cutest Cat. (Image attached).

That's it for the Q&A, but wait, we promised screenshots and we have screenshots for you! Behold, the glory that is. The glory that was. And the glory that always will be: Big Head Mode!

forums.obsidian.net/topic/71252-new-screenshots-things-are-going-to-get-a-little-awesome/

Last edited:
Top Bottom